OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Fingers crossed we don't move Austin or the 2029/30 pick by deadline. This is the exact sort of move that would be short sighted. The temptation will be high at this time, jobs are on the line and there's always that "We have AD/Bron, 1 move and 1 run and we can win 18".

Long term Upgrade only, a Giddey, Markannen, Mikal Bridges, similar age guys

Even if I ignore Giddey's history with Southern California high schoolers. I don't want him.

He's not a floor spacer.

Nets have already said Bridges isn't available.

Lauri would be an ideal pickup. I just don't know if we have the assets to make that trade happen.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Fingers crossed we don't move Austin or the 2029/30 pick by deadline. This is the exact sort of move that would be short sighted. The temptation will be high at this time, jobs are on the line and there's always that "We have AD/Bron, 1 move and 1 run and we can win 18".

Even if I ignore Giddey's history with Southern California high schoolers. I don't want him.

He's not a floor spacer.

Lauri would be an ideal pickup. I just don't know if we have the assets to make that trade happen.

I thought it has been determined that he met the girl at a 21+ club and assumed she was of age then informed his team right away after he found out (it’s the internet so I might be wrong) but my point was I’d only trade AR for long term young upgrades, not a Klay or a CP3 or even a DeMar
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He's not a floor spacer.

Lauri would be a nice fit. But the Lakers could offer every plus valued non LBJ/AD asset they have and it wouldn't be enough. What do the Lakers even have of value? A single future FRP, Reaves on a great contract, Christie. Does JHS even have value?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject:

he doesn't have an eye for talent. passed up on signing hartenstein twice.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Jesse Buss is the Assistant GM, Director of Scouting, and Co-Owner. How come nobody criticizes Jesse. Someone please answer this question, don’t be afraid.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Jesse Buss is the Assistant GM, Director of Scouting, and Co-Owner. How come nobody criticizes Jesse. Someone please answer this question, don’t be afraid.

Assistant GM, Co-Owner

Jeanie is the controlling owner, she has final say.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:40 am    Post subject:

Add the Vando extension to the list of dumb Pelinka moves
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject:

Where Pelinka deserves blame.

He built a team with a defensive model in mind, but the defensive players aren't able to defend at an elite level with AD/Bron nor are they competent enough scorers sto keep up with today's NBA.

He built a team with volume shooters at the 3rd/4th/5th option role with Rui, AR and DLO but these players don't fit the defensive identity and model.

Look at some of the best teams in the league (IMO)

Boston - Porzingis, Tatum, Brown, White, Holiday
Denver - Joker, Gordon, MPJ, KCP, Murray

5 threats at all positions. The only non-shooter in Denver's lineup is Gordon, and he lives in the paint. On Boston's lineup all 5 players are spacing the floor and scoring threats.

Now some will argue that Pelinka at least got you Rui, AR and DLO. That allows us to run 5 man lineups with all 5 players a threat to the opponent. Yes, but a few things there. DLO/Austin/Rui don't bring the defensive balance to the floor that some other contenders have. For example Boston, their 3rd option is usually Porzingis. He's not only giving you offense, but he's also giving you rim protection, boards, and some man defense. Jrue is a good defensive player.

This is a badly coached team making Pelinka's moves look worse (not playing DLO/Austin/Rui with AD/Bron is insanity by our coach) however Pelinka also didn't build a core good enough to beat the best teams in the NBA. They (Ham and Pelinka) seem to have come up with this plan to play better defenders. Unfortunately in today's NBA, athleticism and defense at your 3rd and4th option is not enough. Your 3rd and 4th option need to be volume shooters especially potent from beyond the arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject:

"Our defense doesn't work"

Our defense was top 5-7 in the league before Ham switched to the Prince/Vando/Reddish/LeBron/AD lineup.

Defense wasn't our problem, it was the offense Ham was trying to implement and how THAT doesn't work with this team. Running a 5 out offense is not what this team needs.

I think the biggest problem is Darvin Ham.

The guy who looked at our 5-7th ranked defense, and 20s ranked offense and went "I need to make defensive changes to the starting lineup while making our offense worse."

And now has taken our defense down to 14th and our offense continues to be terrible.

Can't blame Pelinka for a coach seeing a Top 5-7 defense and going "Let's make that worse and let's make our offense worse too while we're at it!"

Give any competent coach our roster and we're top 5 in the West right now.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
zambia wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Assistant GM, Co-Owner

Jeanie is the controlling owner, she has final say.

I understand Jeanie has the final word. If Pelinka is planning to make a bad move, Jesse has no pull to say Rob this is not good?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Our defense was top 5-7 in the league before Ham switched to the Prince/Vando/Reddish/LeBron/AD lineup.

Defense wasn't our problem, it was the offense Ham was trying to implement and how THAT doesn't work with this team. Running a 5 out offense is not what this team needs.

The guy who looked at our 5-7th ranked defense, and 20s ranked offense and went "I need to make defensive changes to the starting lineup while making our offense worse."

And now has taken our defense down to 14th and our offense continues to be terrible.

Can't blame Pelinka for a coach seeing a Top 5-7 defense and going "Let's make that worse and let's make our offense worse too while we're at it!"

Spot on!
No doubt in my mind, a better coach and this team is NOT 19-21, injuries or not.
Ham is a terrible coach. Period.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

Vando is a near elite defender. He's clearly not 100% and he's being used in the right scenarios. He was key last year in our WCF run. Ask Ja and Steph.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Spot on!
No doubt in my mind, a better coach and this team is NOT 19-21, injuries or not.
Ham is a terrible coach. Period.

+1
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject:

Change the headcoach and if the team finished the year with a better than .500 record then keep Pelinka since it's not a roster issue. Otherwise, fire Pelinka too.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject:

More grievances towards the head coach, yet no one has issue with how dude got in pocket to begin with….

Quote:
When you have a career coaching journey that starts out in the G League and you earn your stripes as a GM and as a head coach and your arc takes you to strong franchises that have had success including a championship at his last stop as a lead assistant coach on the Milwaukee Bucks, you have a certain DNA and fabric and strength of character,” Pelinka said about Ham during his introductory press conference on June 6.

“The first thing we did, Jeanie and I formed a committee, a search committee to go out and get the candidates,” Pelinka said to Mike Bresnahan and Spectrum SportsNet. “And we identified the characteristics we were looking for. Darvin immediately stood out as someone that met so many of the qualities that we were looking for. His strong voice, a willingness to have difficult conversations with players and hold them accountable to playing hard.

“He made us all confident that he would call our players to play that way every time we were on the court. I think he’s got the muscles and big shoulders to support that, too.” (tf?!? Haha)

He continued his effusive praise, “...it came through so powerfully to everybody in the coach’s committee when we did our interviews and we were able to land on coach Ham as our unanimous choice to recommend to our owner Jeanie Buss for her approval.”

As we all know, front office speak must always be taken with a grain of salt. The Lakers’ committee reportedly consisted of Pelinka, Kurt Rambis, Jesse Buss, and Joey Buss.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1522737009227452418

Maybe it is escaped yall memory but “Pockets” got in pocket for a reason. #eScapeGOATstaysescapin’ 😉

Jeanie’s got the power to right this ship. Kob called you the Queen of Dragons, but homegirls got it twisted…hopefully this time she doesn’t stay sippin’ on that Juimbo Mitchalada & keep draggin’ the franchise in draggin’ her feet in extinguishing the true perps of this crime. Light their asses up already #FOh

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

Vando is a near elite defender. He's clearly not 100% and he's being used in the right scenarios. He was key last year in our WCF run. Ask Ja and Steph.

For starters, there was no reason in offering him an extension. Secondly, he was played off the floor in the playoffs. Against GSW, he played 10 or so mins in games 4 and 5 and was benched for Dennis in our decisive game 6 victory (only played 3 mins).

He was a net negative in the playoffs as a whole and isn't an elite defender. He's a good defender and a destructive offensive player.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

Agree, Vando is a guy that needs to start and hound the other teams best offensive player.

I don’t know what cam/prince have done to leapfrog Vando and get guaranteed mins

Ham is throwing the role that used to be Vando's at Reddish and Prince, mostly to Reddish.

Vando benefitted by being the 5th guy the defense cared about offensively in a lineup with DLO/Reaves/AD/LBJ with him, which allowed him to get those corner threes and hustle points.

Those are the kinds of look and role that Ham is trying to forcefeed Reddish into despite the fact we have Vando who is better at it than Reddish.

That is what happened. Our coach is actively trying to hamstring Vando's role for his favorites.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Dude, Pelinka hired the coach. Pelinka is to blame.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

For starters, there was no reason in offering him an extension. Secondly, he was played off the floor in the playoffs. Against GSW, he played 10 or so mins in games 4 and 5 and was benched for Dennis in our decisive game 6 victory (only played 3 mins).

He was a net negative in the playoffs as a whole and isn't an elite defender. He's a good defender and a destructive offensive player.

You give him an extension to keep in the miix long term and a price point lower than what he'd get on the open market. My assumption tis your assumption is that he wouldn't have gotten that.

3&D guys are getting paid these days and their value is only going up. If you have D with no 3, you're half as valuable as the guy who's got both.

No 3
Thybulle - $12M.
Vando - $12M

3&D
Bridges - $23M
Cam J - $24M
McDaniels $27M
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

You give him an extension to keep in the miix long term and a price point lower than what he'd get on the open market. My assumption tis your assumption is that he wouldn't have gotten that.

3&D guys are getting paid these days and their value is only going up. If you have D with no 3, you're half as valuable as the guy who's got both.

No 3
Thybulle - $12M.
Vando - $12M

3&D
Bridges - $23M
Cam J - $24M
McDaniels $27M

thybulle is shooting 37.1% from 3 this season on high volume
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:

You throw shade at Rob any chance you get for any reason you can. In the quote from Rob about Ham he's saying that Ham convinced them that he was gonna be able to do all the things he's proving, right now, that he's not capable of doing. Rob gets some blame, sure, but the majority of the blame goes to the actual coach himself.

Otherwise, by your logic, the blame would go to Jeanie.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:

Wrong.

No 3
Thybulle - $12M.
Vando - $12M

3&D
Bridges - $23M
Cam J - $24M
McDaniels $27M

thybulle is shooting 37.1% from 3 this season on high volume

When you hit up basketball reference to look up the stats, did you notice his career (including this season) is 34%? Obviously his contract was given prior to this season so it was a smart bet on PDX's part to match Dallas' offer because if he keeps the going, he will be closer to $20M+ territory.

And since when is four 3 pointers/game high volume?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
More grievances towards the head coach, yet no one has issue with how dude got in pocket to begin with….

Quote:
When you have a career coaching journey that starts out in the G League and you earn your stripes as a GM and as a head coach and your arc takes you to strong franchises that have had success including a championship at his last stop as a lead assistant coach on the Milwaukee Bucks, you have a certain DNA and fabric and strength of character,” Pelinka said about Ham during his introductory press conference on June 6.

“The first thing we did, Jeanie and I formed a committee, a search committee to go out and get the candidates,” Pelinka said to Mike Bresnahan and Spectrum SportsNet. “And we identified the characteristics we were looking for. Darvin immediately stood out as someone that met so many of the qualities that we were looking for. His strong voice, a willingness to have difficult conversations with players and hold them accountable to playing hard.

“He made us all confident that he would call our players to play that way every time we were on the court. I think he’s got the muscles and big shoulders to support that, too.” (tf?!? Haha)

He continued his effusive praise, “...it came through so powerfully to everybody in the coach’s committee when we did our interviews and we were able to land on coach Ham as our unanimous choice to recommend to our owner Jeanie Buss for her approval.”

As we all know, front office speak must always be taken with a grain of salt. The Lakers’ committee reportedly consisted of Pelinka, Kurt Rambis, Jesse Buss, and Joey Buss.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1522737009227452418

Maybe it is escaped yall memory but “Pockets” got in pocket for a reason. #eScapeGOATstaysescapin’ 😉

Jeanie’s got the power to right this ship. Kob called you the Queen of Dragons, but homegirls got it twisted…hopefully this time she doesn’t stay sippin’ on that Juimbo Mitchalada & keep draggin’ the franchise in draggin’ her feet in extinguishing the true perps of this crime. Light their asses up already #FOh

We know that the FO was able to convince Jeanie that Vogel deserved the brunt of the blame for Westbrook, nevermind that he was on the bench when we won a title with the players traded to acquire Russ. I remember these quotes from the time and in context saw them as more shade at Frank, implying he wasn't holding players accountable (as if anyone in the last 15+ years has been able to hold either Russ or Lebron accountable). It was dodging responsibility. Also wasn't surprised when we heard recently that "everyone" in the Laker braintrust, including Lebron, "misjudged" the Russ acquisition. That came on the heels of a report that Jeanie blamed Frank.

Here is some world class cya too

Quote:
were able to land on coach Ham as our unanimous choice to recommend to our owner Jeanie Buss for her approval.”

A committee selected Darvin, who was then recommended to Jeanie. Way to make sure you're not accountable for the hire
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:

You throw shade at Rob any chance you get for any reason you can. In the quote from Rob about Ham he's saying that Ham convinced them that he was gonna be able to do all the things he's proving, right now, that he's not capable of doing. Rob gets some blame, sure, but the majority of the blame goes to the actual coach himself.

Yes, blame should also go to Jeanie. Like Ham, Pelinka is inexperienced and shouldn’t be an NBA GM.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yes, blame should also go to Jeanie. Like Ham, Pelinka is inexperienced and shouldn’t be an NBA GM.
He got us a team that got to the WCF after LeBron and AD pushed the Westbrook trade on him. If anything his inexperience was what made him listen to the superstars and get Russ but he righted that wrong last season.

Ham is the issue right now that needs to be righted.

It's very unfortunate that Vogel was the scapegoat and cost of it all and Rob def deserves some blame but he has done a lot more right than wrong in his short time as GM.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 240 of 245
Jump to: