OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka is obviously not a good GM but was a great agent.
After Magic set up the championship team Rob is floundering around.
Making changes and rolling the dice
And there is no Buss around to see what is happening.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Magic set up the championship team? Lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Magic set up the championship team? Revisionist history is alive and well.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Magic did what? He traded away Zu for nothing, refused to re-sign Brook Lopez. All magic wanted was the resurrection of the old show time era roster. That’s why he drafted a PG who can’t shoot, and discounted the 3 point shooting in his roster building. If it’s up to magic Byron Scott would be the head coach instead of Vogel.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Magic deserves credit for bringing in Lebron, but everything else he did was a total disaster. The 2018 team with Beasley, Lance, McGee, Rondo was weird as hell because modern rosters need shooting, and Magic went with the exact opposite of that. It shouldn't come off as a surprise they were one of the worst offensive teams that season. Something similar is taking place this season, though.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Magic didn't get Lebron here. Lebron got Lebron here. I'm almost positive that neither Magic nor Jeanie had anything to do with bringing LAbron to LA.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Magic didn't get Lebron here. Lebron got Lebron here. I'm almost positive that neither Magic nor Jeanie had anything to do with bringing LAbron to LA.

After seeing Jim blow FA pitches to Dwight, Melo, Aldridge (twice) in consecutive years. I give credit to Magic for getting Bron. And remember. We didn't even have AD yet. We were a bottom dweller team for nearly half a decade.

I could see Jim screwing up that Bron pitch. Bron specifically said partnering up with Magic was part of the reason why he chose us.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Magic set up the championship team? Lol

petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

+17 If Magic weren't Tragic...he would still be here
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Brons agent on 60 minutes ( or some news show) said it was LA. This was the place he could grow his brand and that he just needed one ring.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Magic deserves credit for bringing in Lebron, but everything else he did was a total disaster. The 2018 team with Beasley, Lance, McGee, Rondo was weird as hell because modern rosters need shooting, and Magic went with the exact opposite of that. It shouldn't come off as a surprise they were one of the worst offensive teams that season. Something similar is taking place this season, though.

Pelinka made those moves
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:

Pelinka made those moves

Maybe but I can guarantee you Magic was in the background saying, "now that's a hard-nosed player who plays hard."
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:

Pelinka made those moves

So, the only thing Magic did during his tenure was to bring Lebron on board, declare victory, hand over the keys to Pelinka, and then go back to his business/life while still drawing a Laker paycheck?
Magic is on record defending the Zubac trade and accepting that the Lopez move as a mistake. We don't know the intricacies of all the interactions between the two of them so I assign the blame (and the credit) to both of them, with a greater share to Magic since he was the boss and the buck stopped with him.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject:

If Magic didn't resign, would he still be our GM today? I wonder if Pelinka never resigned, would Jeanie just let him stay on as GM indefinitely?

Jeanie has better prayed that in the next 10 years, another Lebron caliber player join the team as FA so she could win another championship.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject:

Magic was so bad that he tainted Magic the player for me too. Can't stand that guy. Or his buddies B Scott and Rambis. Coop, KAJ and Worthy are the only key ones I still respect.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:

Pelinka made those moves

So, the only thing Magic did during his tenure was to bring Lebron on board, declare victory, hand over the keys to Pelinka, and then go back to his business/life while still drawing a Laker paycheck?
Magic is on record defending the Zubac trade and accepting that the Lopez move as a mistake. We don't know the intricacies of all the interactions between the two of them so I assign the blame (and the credit) to both of them, with a greater share to Magic since he was the boss and the buck stopped with him.

Magic hasn’t drawn a paycheck in years, he resigned in 2019 after being a part time executive. He has had no decision making since then.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If Magic didn't resign, would he still be our GM today? I wonder if Pelinka never resigned, would Jeanie just let him stay on as GM indefinitely?

Jeanie has better prayed that in the next 10 years, another Lebron caliber player join the team as FA so she could win another championship.

Magic was never the GM, get your story straight. Pelinka was the GM.

@lakersfever714 do you agree with that statement.

Last edited by zambia on Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Magic was so bad that he tainted Magic the player for me too. Can't stand that guy. Or his buddies B Scott and Rambis. Coop, KAJ and Worthy are the only key ones I still respect.

I don’t understand why you hate Magic, please explain yourself.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Magic was never the GM, get your story straight. Pelinka was the GM.

@lakersfever714 do you agree with that statement.

GM/VP same thing. It's just a title. Basically, Magic was the final decision maker like Pelinka is rn.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Or, she could just step aside and let Pelinka do his job.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

I don't think Magic being here was a factor either way for Lebron. He had his own agenda.

That said, I think the only fair to evaluate a GM is by the total moves that occur during his tenure. Otherwise people just end up picking and choosing which moves to count, based on whether they want to depict the GM as being good or bad.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:

I've never idolized an athlete as much as I idolized Magic. So I compartmentalize it and think of Magic the player as being a different entity altogether than Magic the exec/basketball-commentator.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
strong9 wrote:

I've never idolized an athlete as much as I idolized Magic. So I compartmentalize it and think of Magic the player as being a different entity altogether than Magic the exec/basketball-commentator.

You know I heard Magic was very busy with his "other" businesses/investments so he couldn't really dedicate time to his exec position. He perhaps took the job because Jeannie asked him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject:

Fingers crossed we don't move Austin or the 2029/30 pick by deadline. This is the exact sort of move that would be short sighted. The temptation will be high at this time, jobs are on the line and there's always that "We have AD/Bron, 1 move and 1 run and we can win 18".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Fingers crossed we don't move Austin or the 2029/30 pick by deadline. This is the exact sort of move that would be short sighted. The temptation will be high at this time, jobs are on the line and there's always that "We have AD/Bron, 1 move and 1 run and we can win 18".

Long term Upgrade only, a Giddey, Markannen, Mikal Bridges, similar age guys
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 239 of 245
Jump to: