OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
ocho wrote:
Is there another 7 footer in the NBA that whines this much about playing Center? Freaking LeBron played C last year when we needed him to and I don’t recall him complaining about it.

Maybe. But he does happen to be right, the Lakers would have been, and would be, best served by playing him primarily at the 4, situationally at the 5.

Played most of his minutes at C in the Bubble and wrecked the whole league. I’m just curious if he’s the only player his size who objects this much to playing the position. Can’t think of a single other player.

First it was was a small stretch of games preceding the Finals when one can take a risk and go "all out".
Second he got substantial relief minutes from DH/McGee, especially in the first series - it's an oversimplification that he battled entire game long at the 5.
Third the matchups/opponents often favored him at the 5.
It was situational: favorable matchup and/or limited stretch. It does not compare to slogging through the wear-and-tear of an 82 game season with frequent cross-country travel and back-to-back games, vastly different. The bubble was a sprint not a marathon.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
ocho wrote:
Is there another 7 footer in the NBA that whines this much about playing Center? Freaking LeBron played C last year when we needed him to and I don’t recall him complaining about it.

Maybe. But he does happen to be right, the Lakers would have been, and would be, best served by playing him primarily at the 4, situationally at the 5.

Played most of his minutes at C in the Bubble and wrecked the whole league. I’m just curious if he’s the only player his size who objects this much to playing the position. Can’t think of a single other player.

Not to derail you, but this reminds me of Ralph Sampson forty years ago. That was a significantly different era, and we don't need to go down that rabbit trail. I can't think of another example since then.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

McGee averaged 17mpg in the regular season and 10 in the playoffs. Dwight went from 19 to 15. It was the best AD has ever looked. So it begs repeating: what other big man in the league cries foul at playing C and requires multiple other players on the roster to save him from playing the position?

This is an issue wholly unique to Anthony Davis.

Last edited by ocho on Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
ocho wrote:

First it was was a small stretch of games preceding the Finals when one can take a risk and go "all out".
Second he got substantial relief minutes from DH/McGee, especially in the first series - it's an oversimplification that he battled entire game long at the 5.
Third the matchups/opponents often favored him at the 5.
It was situational: favorable matchup and/or limited stretch. It does not compare to slogging through the wear-and-tear of an 82 game season with frequent cross-country travel and back-to-back games, vastly different. The bubble was a sprint not a marathon.

Edit: wolf replied before me, he nailed the facts, thanks wolf.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

Everybody wants to nut over the possibilities of AD at the 5 on O. But y’all nuts not to C how dude can turn our D orgasmic with 4play aka free safety, help defender on the wings.

It’s a popular cliche but imho absolutely true. Defense wins championships. Get that man in the best position to play D.

Yet lets pray for buyouts for Dwight, Kieff & Drummond to free them up from their previous teams. Let’s target dudes on the cheap for a reason: McGee (asthmatic), Boog (injuries limited the bag), TB (tore his (bleep) and played 27 games the previous year) etc.

There’s been only 1 yr where we invested more than 10m at the C position for AD: Trezz at the 9.3m MLE, Marc at 2.6m (technically vet min but 2 yr deal had us paying out of pocket instead of league paying the difference on a 1yr deal) and Kieff at the vet min.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Everybody wants to nut over the possibilities of AD at the 5 on O. But y’all nuts not to C how dude can turn our D orgasmic with 4play aka free safety, help defender on the wings.

It’s a popular cliche but imho absolutely true. Defense wins championships. Get that man in the best position to play D.

Yet lets pray for buyouts for Dwight, Kieff & Drummond to free them up from their previous teams. Let’s target dudes on the cheap for a reason: McGee (asthmatic), Boog (injuries limited the bag), TB (tore his (bleep) and played 27 games the previous year) etc.

There’s been only 1 yr where we invested more than 10m at the C position for AD: Trezz at the 9.3m MLE, Marc at 2.6m (technically vet min but 2 yr deal had us paying out of pocket instead of league paying the difference on a 1yr deal) and Kieff at the vet min.

I've been screaming about this (and AD too, but much more muted lol).

AD is best as a roving defender. You anchor him at the rim, and you basically nullify his insane ability to cover much more ground. This is why I'm huge on AD/Myles.

You can close out games, sure, with AD at center. But clearly he's just getting beaten down playing it full time. Lakers brass seems to not care.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
McGee averaged 17mpg in the regular season and 10 in the playoffs. Dwight went from 19 to 15. It was the best AD has ever looked. So it begs repeating: what other big man in the league cries foul at playing C and requires multiple other players on the roster to save him from playing the position?

If your entire complaint is that he should not be complaining and is one of the few that has complained, fine, on that I yield to you.

Others (like me) are pointing out that we think he's right, he can be effective at the 5 in spurts/sprints but should not slog through the season at the 5 because his body is just not built for that kind of pounding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
ocho wrote:

If your entire complaint is that he should not be complaining and is one of the few that has complained, fine, on that I yield to you.

Others (like me) are pointing out that we think he's right, he can be effective at the 5 in spurts/sprints but should not slog through the season at the 5 because his body is just not built for that kind of pounding.

It's like asking Giannis to play the 5 full time. He can do it. Has much higher motor than AD too. But over time, it's going to break him down. No coincidence that the Bucks have Brook and Portis playing the center minutes.

Ham knows this, but he doesn't have a Brook/Portis to play alongside AD. Get AD with Myles, I guarantee you that he will just be suffocating teams even more as a defender.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

FWIW I know this was a different more physical era, but Tim Duncan also preferred the 4 and said so many times. Some bigs prefer being bigger than their opponent and not getting pushed inside. At the 5, AD has to use the part of his game that is the weakest (Power). There are situations where at the 5 he is a great match up (small ball teams). A lot of teams do start physically imposing bigs. AD is not that type of player, never has been.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
ocho wrote:

Not to mention, how many times did dude go down in the bubble playing the 5? This was after a 4 month hiatus.

This FO has continuously set up dude to fail. Un-F’n-deniable at this point.

Htown 2nd round series

Nugs WCF series

Heat Finals series

You want to field 3 “names” without the luxury of depth…budget better MFer!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:

FWIW I know this was a different more physical era, but Tim Duncan also preferred the 4 and said so many times. Some bigs prefer being bigger than their opponent and not getting pushed inside. At the 5, AD has to use the part of his game that is the weakest (Power). There are situations where at the 5 he is a great match up (small ball teams). A lot of teams do start physically imposing bigs. AD is not that type of player, never has been.

Duncan did often have a C start next to him but he also played quite a lot of C and I don’t remember him griping all the time publicly about it. Then again, I don’t believe he ever spoke in general.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:

Duncan did often have a C start next to him but he also played quite a lot of C and I don’t remember him griping all the time publicly about it. Then again, I don’t believe he ever spoke in general.

Don't forget that KG, Dirk, Duncan, all had big starting centers next to them.

KG had Perkins on that Celtics team.

Dirk had Tyson Chandler on his.

Duncan had Robinson, and a bunch of other true centers as well.

I don't think they had to be public about their distaste of being a center b/c the teams just took care of it.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

AD is best as a roving defender. You anchor him at the rim, and you basically nullify his insane ability to cover much more ground. This is why I'm huge on AD/Myles.

You can close out games, sure, with AD at center. But clearly he's just getting beaten down playing it full time. Lakers brass seems to not care.

Great take! I don't think it matters tho either way because the info has leaked that the FO isn't likely to use the pics to improve the team. It looks like we are going to be stuck in another embarrassing season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Great take! I don't think it matters tho either way because the info has leaked that the FO isn't likely to use the pics to improve the team. It looks like we are going to be stuck in another embarrassing season.

Imagine if Giannis had to play center, and had to be anchored at the rim instead of his devastating free roving defense?

Lakers probably understood this, but wanted to be cheap about it and got 2 center only players in TB/Jones. Myles would literally solve this but the price is high for him.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Imagine if Giannis had to play center, and had to be anchored at the rim instead of his devastating free roving defense?

Lakers probably understood this, but wanted to be cheap about it and got 2 center only players in TB/Jones. Myles would literally solve this but the price is high for him.

That sums up the situation perfectly...however with the injury prone AD, Lebron, and Turner it may not have made a difference anyway. The AD/LBJ era may have been over anyway regardless. The Lakers probably are gonna suck for as long as we have the current owner and GM.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

People can disagree, but if we had a whole training camp/preseason with Myles/Buddy, I think we are closer to 7-4, 8-3 right now. Buddy would relieve some of the scoring/shooting burden, and AD/Myles would be a monster together defensively and allow AD to be rover again.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:

I don't think they had to be public about their distaste of being a center b/c the teams just took care of it.

I think Dirk and KG are totally different body types (and played in a different era). I think we’ve been pretty accommodating of his wishes. We had Javale/Howard/Keef in Year 1, Gasol/Trez/Drummond in Year 2, brought back Dwight and had DJ last year but they were cooked. We brought in 2 centers this year and also have Wenyen. I guess I just wish he would play like a superstar in the position we need right now instead of bemoaning it. Could already tell last night he’s checking out.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People can disagree, but if we had a whole training camp/preseason with Myles/Buddy, I think we are closer to 7-4, 8-3 right now. Buddy would relieve some of the scoring/shooting burden, and AD/Myles would be a monster together defensively and allow AD to be rover again.

Agree...if the FO had been committed to winning by putting the best product on the floor things would have been done differently, but I don't think they GAF about our desire to have a competitor or even a team that isn't an embarrassment.

The FO gets paid either way and know that the fanbase is too loyal to do anything about the flawed substandard product that they provide.

If focused on winning they would have jumped on the Indy deal from the start and acquired Brogdon/Heild/Turner. Regardless, with AD/LBJ/Turner/Brogdon injury proneness it may not have made a difference anyway.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

If he has any dignity left in him and respect for the franchise, he will resign immediately, and let a real GM do the job. The roster he put is amateur hour.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
If he has any dignity left in him and respect for the franchise, he will resign immediately, and let a real GM do the job. The roster he put is amateur hour.

I think he is doing what the owner told him to do as evidenced with the extension reward for a job well done. Wish we could trade them both...owner and GM.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:

This is a new NBA.. The average PF takes about 5 3PA per 36. There has to be a stretch/spacing element from your starting PF. AD's jumpshot completely deserting him does not make it feasible for him to play anything but center in most environments. Now, if you had a player like Turner or Lopez at center things change. The spacing would still be less than ideal but you at least get some shooting from your center and the defensive upside makes things worth it.

However, for the most part AD is complaining about playing his natural position.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I disagree we'd be 7-4, but this tough to argue. I think Myles/Bud give us a lock for play ins/maybe 6th-5th if Lebron/AD stay very healthy (65+). But what happens if Lebron/AD miss a lot of games? Again, we still don't possess the depth. Yes we got 2 solid starting level players, but we need at least 4 players like that to be competitive without 1 star. And we're always seeminly down to 1 healthy star, sometimes 0 healthy stars. If you look back at the last time we won 60% of our games, we had Trez/Dennis/KCP/Caruso/Kuzma, that's about 5 guys of (at that time in their careers) quality who can give you quality minutes. I think to be a 7-4 level team, we need Hield/Turner and then another 2 moves to get us into that situation. Maybe Walker can be a 3rd guy, and IMO to be a team that's a lock to win 60% of their games, you need a 4th and 5th player of that Hield/Walker/Hield level. Beverly has been a big bummer, and Reaves hasn't improved from year 1 to 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I disagree we'd be 7-4, but this tough to argue. I think Myles/Bud give us a lock for play ins/maybe 6th-5th if Lebron/AD stay very healthy (65+). But what happens if Lebron/AD miss a lot of games? Again, we still don't possess the depth. Yes we got 2 solid starting level players, but we need at least 4 players like that to be competitive without 1 star. And we're always seeminly down to 1 healthy star, sometimes 0 healthy stars. If you look back at the last time we won 60% of our games, we had Trez/Dennis/KCP/Caruso/Kuzma, that's about 5 guys of (at that time in their careers) quality who can give you quality minutes. I think to be a 7-4 level team, we need Hield/Turner and then another 2 moves to get us into that situation. Maybe Walker can be a 3rd guy, and IMO to be a team that's a lock to win 60% of their games, you need a 4th and 5th player of that Hield/Walker/Hield level. Beverly has been a big bummer, and Reaves hasn't improved from year 1 to 2.

Say we are 6-5 instead.

You'd still have Nunn/Bev contracts to play with.

Dennis/Bev
Hield/Lonnie/Reaves
LBJ/Troy
AD/Wenyen
Myles/TB/Jones

Much deeper team. Since our defense is falling off the cliff as we play more, our offense actually improves with Buddy/Myles.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I could get behind LA having a winning record and okay-to-solid team if they did this trade before preseason.

This off-season, they needed to go either all-in or all-out on the LeBron & AD core and they did neither. Now going all-in is too late, and going all-out and blowing it up looks less attractive as the injuries pile up by the game.

Prior to the season starting, I would have preferred to blow it up but I could have been sold on making the trade and seeing what happened. LeBron and AD were just good enough last season at least to give it a shot. I obviously feel differently now that the season has started.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie runs this from a marketing lense stars = ticket sales. She doesn't understand continuous losing will result in empty seats, even if Lebron is ready to pass KAJ. Pelinka/Rambis clearly clueless. You don't trade for Beverly and sign Dennis unless Russ is gone. Who did they think was going to backup Lebron/AD on this roster? If you have Lebron/AD/Russ on this roster, even any combination you need shooting. I mean literally NONE. Every games teams move to more of a zone look in the second half once the Lakers have shown they cannot make shots.

Jeanie is now the NON-RACIST version of Donald Sterling.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 201 of 245
Jump to: