OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Our franchise is being run into the ground. So many of us saw it when Jeanie took over. Sad.

The be fair the franchise was already in the ground and a laughing stock before she took over.

Wut? She took over in 2013, three years removed from back-to-back championships.

She took over in 2017.

She was the Governor at the NBA meetings when the Chris Paul trade fiasco happened. She was physically there and did nothing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Our franchise is being run into the ground. So many of us saw it when Jeanie took over. Sad.

The be fair the franchise was already in the ground and a laughing stock before she took over.

Wut? She took over in 2013, three years removed from back-to-back championships.

She took over in 2017.

I thought she took over in 2013 after her dad passed away. That was also the beginning of the six consecutive years of playoff drought.

Jim Buss was responsible for the basketball operations back then.

In 2017 Jeanie took full responsibility

That’s not close to being true. No surprise that enablers will twist the truth to protect her.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

I thought she took over in 2013 after her dad passed away. That was also the beginning of the six consecutive years of playoff drought.

That’s not close to being true. No surprise that enablers will twist the truth to protect her.

WTF are you talking about
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

The truth, Jeanie became the Governor of the franchise when her father passed. She has been in charge since 2013.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

zambia wrote:

I don’t believe the FO signed Moz and Deng, because they thought they could amnesty their contracts. In the Military we called that, fraud waste and abuse.

There's a Mitch interview post his Laker-exit where he stated just that. Eric Pincus reported/tweeted it, but of course what you choose to believe is your right.
lakers-news-mitch-kupchak-front-office-expected-amnesty-clause-in-new-cba
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

I don’t believe the FO signed Moz and Deng, because they thought they could amnesty their contracts. In the Military we called that, fraud waste and abuse.

There's a Mitch interview post his Laker-exit where he stated just that. Eric Pincus reported/tweeted it, but of course what you choose to believe is your right.

Why sign two scrubs for that amount of money, with the thought of amnesty. That makes no sense. You still have to pay the player the amount owed on their contract. Teams could only amnesty one contract in the previous agreement. You also have the right to remain silent.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

Why sign two scrubs for that amount of money, with the thought of amnesty. That makes no sense. You still have to pay the player the amount owed on their contract. Teams could only amnesty one contract in the previous agreement. You also have the right to remain silent.

Bottom line is Mitch said it and Pincus reported it. I prefer to go by published reports by reputed journalists when such reports exist over my own theories over what might have happened. To each their own.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

The Moz and Deng signings bring up more questions than answers.

I cannot understand why the Lakers would rush to sign them to back, long contracts, with the intent or expectation or hope of amnestying them after a year.

There just isn't any logic to that.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

I cannot understand why the Lakers would rush to sign them to back, long contracts, with the intent or expectation or hope of amnestying them after a year.

No logic at all, I agree.
From what I recall, it was the offseason where the salary cap was moved up substantially and a lot of guys got HUGE contracts. I think I remember Michael Finley as an example.
No one wanted to come the Lakers so the Lakers had to sign someone, anyone. Both were massive overpays. Wow, the Lakers had to have been the laughing stock in the GM circle that summer. It was bad.

My problem with Jeanie is, she's obviously an idiot. Not smart, business wise. Why is she currently so focused on that idiot womans wrestling crap? Seems like she cares more about that than the Lakers.
No offense, but no one can convince me that she's this business savvy female owner. She's an idiot.....and allows the nepotism of idiocy around her.
I wish the Buss' would sell the team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

No logic at all, I agree.
From what I recall, it was the offseason where the salary cap was moved up substantially and a lot of guys got HUGE contracts. I think I remember Michael Finley as an example.
No one wanted to come the Lakers so the Lakers had to sign someone, anyone. Both were massive overpays. Wow, the Lakers had to have been the laughing stock in the GM circle that summer. It was bad.

My problem with Jeanie is, she's obviously an idiot. Not smart, business wise. Why is she currently so focused on that idiot womans wrestling crap? Seems like she cares more about that than the Lakers.
No offense, but no one can convince me that she's this business savvy female owner. She's an idiot.....and allows the nepotism of idiocy around her.
I wish the Buss' would sell the team.

The bewildering thing is that the Lakers apparently targeted these guys and signed them on the first day. It wasn't like they were the leftovers after other free agents turned them down. Mosgov was the second free agent signed, right after Bradley Beal.

These were deals that had everyone scratching their head in puzzlement as soon as they were announced.

My guess is that Jim and Mitch knew that Jeanie was looking for any reason to fire them. There was tons of money available and the free agent class was weak so they just did a hail mary on these guys because they knew they would be fired anyway if they signed no one.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Mitch and Jim felt they had nothing to lose so they took the longest of long shots.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

Bottom line is Mitch said it and Pincus reported it. I prefer to go by published reports by reputed journalists when such reports exist over my own theories over what might have happened. To each their own.

You are right that Mitch seems to have expected there to be an amnesty clause in the new CBA. However, it's unclear whether that belief affected the Deng and Mosgov signings.

As far as I know, this is all based on a tweet Pincus put out that said: "Lakers expected there to be amnesty - Mitch asked me specifically why there was no amnesty in the new deal."

Some people have interpreted this to mean that Mitch signed Mosgov and Deng with the intention of amnestying one of them, or at least the hope of being able to amnesty them if things didn't work out.

But as far as I know there has been no evidence or reporting that Mitch actually intended to do this. It just seems to be an assumption people have made, and for whatever reason the assumption has turned into an urban legend that some people have accepted as undisputed fact.

If anyone knows of any reporting that does actually connect the amnesty clause and the signings (beyond mere speculation), please share it!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

You are right that Mitch seems to have expected there to be an amnesty clause in the new CBA. However, it's unclear whether that belief affected the Deng and Mosgov signings.

As far as I know, this is all based on a tweet Pincus put out that said: "Lakers expected there to be amnesty - Mitch asked me specifically why there was no amnesty in the new deal."

Some people have interpreted this to mean that Mitch signed Mosgov and Deng with the intention of amnestying one of them, or at least the hope of being able to amnesty them if things didn't work out.

But as far as I know there has been no evidence or reporting that Mitch actually intended to do this. It just seems to be an assumption people have made, and for whatever reason the assumption has turned into an urban legend that some people have accepted as undisputed fact.

If anyone knows of any reporting that does actually connect the amnesty clause and the signings (beyond mere speculation), please share it!

It was sheer desperation brother. You have to put it in the context at the time. Free agents had been turning down the Lakers in previous offseasons leading up to that one. And Jim threw himself on the sword with that guarantee of getting the team back to the Finals.

And in all honesty, Moz and Deng were coming off pretty decent seasons. They overpaid for what they thought would be serviceable players, with the idea that they'd be able to amnesty them at some point in the future if they were no longer serviceable.

So all things considered, they were desperate and they threw around money the way a desperate person would. It was Jim's last hail mary.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

The truth, Jeanie became the Governor of the franchise when her father passed. She has been in charge since 2013.

This is correct. In fact, I seem to remember reading quotes from Jeanie during that timeframe asserting that she had ultimate and final authority on all decisions, including personnel. Jim wasn’t able to do anything without Jeanie’s approval, or at least that is how she framed it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
zambia wrote:

It was sheer desperation brother. You have to put it in the context at the time. Free agents had been turning down the Lakers in previous offseasons leading up to that one. And Jim threw himself on the sword with that guarantee of getting the team back to the Finals.

And in all honesty, Moz and Deng were coming off pretty decent seasons. They overpaid for what they thought would be serviceable players, with the idea that they'd be able to amnesty them at some point in the future if they were no longer serviceable.

So all things considered, they were desperate and they threw around money the way a desperate person would. It was Jim's last hail mary.

I don't think we'll ever really know beyond our guesses.

Deng was coming off a nothing-special season with Miami where he put up 12-6-2. Mosgov was coming off a nothing-special year for Cleveland where he put up 6-4-0.

Even as desperation moves, it made no sense. The Lakers were a rebuilding team and the last thing they needed to do was toss big contracts at two aging journeymen.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised to see not many Laker fans speaking out against Pelinka. It's like a lot of fans are just so blinded by that championship. Look deeper into the context of the championship, guys.

Usually, no rookie GM ever wins a championship so Pelinka winning it in his first year should be a big red flag. It's either he was the second coming of the Messiah or he just got really lucky. Well, he doesn't look like a Messiah right now.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

LOL he’s a Jim Buss and Mitch groupie/apologist. It was lame when he disappeared when the Lakers won in 2020.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

LOL he’s a Jim Buss and Mitch groupie/apologist. It was lame when he disappeared when the Lakers won in 2020.

Lmao. VLF is unbelievable.
Jim and Mitch had a hand in creating this mass. mozdeng was the reason we had to ship out Dlo to create space. Deng’s contract just stopped haunting us this year.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Not to pile on but…..F you Rob Lowe..

J/K…I highly doubt Rob owns the entirety of the blame but assigning blame to this incompetent/not competitive roster doesn’t really matter nodes it?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Now, could people stop blaming LeGM for the Westbrick trade? As I have said all along, if a GM is confident in his analysis and is strong-willed, then he would not be swayed by other's opinions. Lebron could suggest that Pelinka trade for Brick but if Pelinka really believed that Brick isn't good, then he would say no.

Unfortunately, Pelinka went along with it because he genuinely believed Brick was good. Do you guys see how important a GM's ability to evaluate talent is?

Pelinka has also went on the record to say that all trade decisions are his.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Now, could people stop blaming LeGM for the Westbrick trade? As I have said all along, if a GM is confident in his analysis and is strong-willed, then he would not be swayed by other's opinions. Lebron could suggest that Pelinka trade for Brick but if Pelinka really believed that Brick isn't good, then he would say no.

Unfortunately, Pelinka went along with it because he genuinely believed Brick was good. Do you guys see how important a GM's ability to evaluate talent is?

I honestly don't believe that RP "genuinely believed RW was good". It feels more like he caved in because if he had decided to execute his rumored trade w/Sacramento and we failed, rather than the LBJ/AD desired trade for RW, the two of them would have thought that they had better insight into what the team needed than he did.

In short, they would have blamed him if his trade didn't result in a ring. I think Pelinka did a big first blink(a)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I'm surprised to see not many Laker fans speaking out against Pelinka. It's like a lot of fans are just so blinded by that championship. Look deeper into the context of the championship, guys.

Usually, no rookie GM ever wins a championship so Pelinka winning it in his first year should be a big red flag. It's either he was the second coming of the Messiah or he just got really lucky. Well, he doesn't look like a Messiah right now.

The dumbest GM in the league was the one to do something no GM had ever done before.

Though technically he was GM since 2017– just that he was supervised by Magic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject:

It was good seeing Zubac racking up 14 and 17 tonight, but we definitely got the better end of the deal by landing Lakers legend Mike Muscala.

matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Just a moment....we're complaining about Pelinka when we have a coach that starts RW, Bev, and Lonnie twice? :LOL: thats funny
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject:

After hearing Jeanie talk about sexism and misogyny being why people are questioning her I truly believe she might have borderline special needs intelligence. Seriously, stop with the politics, pride night and all the other far left ideology and focus on basketball!!!!

I also think that Clutch has the Lakers by the balls and the majority of the Laker money has to go to clutch clients or else!

At least we got a ring out of it. (bleep) dumb luck ring to be honest. Palinka might be the dumbest GM I have ever seen. This revolving door around Glass Joe AD and old man Lebron is THE most pathetic way of team building I’ve ever seen or heard of.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I am not a Jeanie hater never will be. However holding her to the same standards we held Jim to, Jim was at the helm when he and Mitch orchestrated some moves to help the team win with Kobe. It's a fact. When Jim began to allow some very weak moves to happen, Jeanie stepped in.

The issue is who holds Jeanie accountable? Someone needs to. Like Jim, she's won a title making some solid moves around Lebron. However longterm, it's starting to wane. It's not reached Moz/Deng level, but it's getting close. The way we're overturning coaches, rosters and giving out max extensions to Lebron etc. even that, I can live with.

When she extended Pelinka, I just lost all faith in her. I hope someones does to her, what she did to Jim, but I highly doubt the younger Buss brothers have that sort of power. At least to me, it seemed Jim always had to answer to Jeanie/other siblings. I don't see the case with Jeanie. She seems to now have carte blanche. Extending Pelinka this early, is a firable offence in my book, at least if you could fire an owner like we did Jim. I mean I had patience with her until this, but this was the straw. You have literally no justifiable reason to give Pelinka that extenson right now. He needs to earn it by building a contender/quality team, one that he tore down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 191 of 245
Jump to: