OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Our franchise is being run into the ground. So many of us saw it when Jeanie took over. Sad.

The be fair the franchise was already in the ground and a laughing stock before she took over.

A team that won a championship as recent as 2020 and has stars like Lebron, AD etc is not run into the ground. It's more that we're not run by the most potent and qualified people. So, for every good move they make, they usually concede 5 shoot yoursleves in the foot moves along with it.

As a Lakers fan, I am just grateful we're not on the Knicks level. We easily could have been. We won a title, just 4 years after Kobe retired. Think about that, how quick that was. Teams have to wait decades. Some never do.

With that in mind, being mediocre a few years, it's all right. Certainly the standards set by Dr Buss are not being met, but we were never realistically ever going to. Just be grateful at least we're not the Knicks/Dolan level. I wish we had better qualified people in charge, but for whatever reason, despite this, the Lakers continue to find ways to win championships.

The key here may be what we do with the draft picks and capspace moving forward and how much of a positive net value the younger Buss kids bring to the table. If they don't panic and make more shoot yourself in the foot moves, at the start of 2023 summer we sit in a pretty solid spot with AD to trade, all our draft picks in tact, 30-35M in capspace, Lebron on possibly a last year deal. Things are not as bad as it seem if you can just escape this year without doing anything stupid.

Now lets see if they refrain from doing anything stupid from November to June. Fingers crossed.

Yes, this is it. Russell is a sunk cost, no need to throw away more good assets to salvage some value from it.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Our franchise is being run into the ground. So many of us saw it when Jeanie took over. Sad.

The be fair the franchise was already in the ground and a laughing stock before she took over.

Wut? She took over in 2013, three years removed from back-to-back championships.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Wut? She took over in 2013, three years removed from back-to-back championships.

She took over in 2017.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

This dude always gave me Bailesh cringe vibes…especially after that whole “backstabbing” incident.

But the more he pussyfoots his way around the kingdom, scheming for the throne with his little dick energy, I’m starting to get Larys vibes. Next time you Strong arm your way into Jeanie’s quarters, instead of convincing her to sign another 5 foot nothing guard, try making her see that coining up in taxes is a luxury worth having. Instead of klutching onto room under the cap, try freeing up space from her piggy bank. And then you can go skeet skeet skeet skeet your way all the way back home, little piggy. And btw, your room is filthy, PeLarys. What’s with all this moist manna everywhere? Damn!

#SomethingsAfoot
(and it ain’t your dick, prick)
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
This dude always gave me Bailesh cringe vibes…especially after that while “backstabbing” incident.

But the more he pussyfoots his way around the kingdom, scheming for the throne with his little dick energy, I’m starting to get Larys vibes. Next time you Strong arm your way into Jeanie’s quarters, instead of convincing her to sign another 5 foot nothing guard, try making her see that coining up in taxes is a luxury worth having. Instead of klutching onto room under the cap, try freeing up space from her piggy bank. And then you can go skeet skeet skeet skeet your way all the way back home, little piggy. And btw, your room is filthy, PeLarys. What’s with all this moist manna everywhere? Damn!

#SomethingsAfoot
(and it ain’t your dick, prick)

It's pretty obvious he is a con artist. I don't think that is a secret. You can't trust anything that comes out his mouth. He should be a politician next.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

I thought she took over in 2013 after her dad passed away. That was also the beginning of the six consecutive years of playoff drought.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

I thought she took over in 2013 after her dad passed away. That was also the beginning of the six consecutive years of playoff drought.

Jim Buss was responsible for the basketball operations back then.

In 2017 Jeanie took full responsibility
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

Jim Buss
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

You're both right, depending on what you mean by "took over." I disagree with Barry Seal's statement that the franchise was a laughingstock before she took over, though. I think he means 2017, and Jeanie was a big part of the problem prior to 2017. I don't think you can absolve her of responsibility by acting like 2017 was the starting point for judging her.

Edit: Fixed a name.

Last edited by Aeneas Hunter on Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject:

I had more patience for Magic…helped bring us them ringsssss.

Had more patience for Mitch, Jim & Jeanie…they been ssssssssssshadowing West & their dad for years.

Wtf has Rob done other than klutch onto the coattails of the Kang? Pull his skirt up and I’m sure you’ll see a tail…while hearing a tale.

B****, you was never with Kob shooting in the gym!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

She wasn’t making basketball decisions until 2017 when she fired Jim and Mitch and hired Magic and Pelinka.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Had more patience for Mitch, Jim & Jeanie…they been ssssssssssshadowing West & their dad for years.

Wtf has Rob done other than klutch onto the coattails of the Kang? Pull his skirt up and I’m sure you’ll see a tail…while hearing a tale.

Jeanie and Rob are the same

She hired him, she extended him
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Jeanie and Rob are the same

She hired him, she extended him

Hey even the good ones have bad days…Dr. Buss chose his kids after all. But I can live with that decision cause of all the good that came with it.

I highly doubt, the Buss’s vacate the throne. So the only saving grace that her Grace can provide us is to light Rob’s ass on fire. Cause if he ain’t fired, dudes angling for a cume up while the Dragons dance.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

She took over in 2017.

Jim Buss was responsible for the basketball operations back then.

In 2017 Jeanie took full responsibility

Well, she became part owner in 2013. She was responsible for keeping Jim on as President for longer than necessary just like what she's doing now with Rob. She just can't seem to hire the right people or maybe whoever advising her is incompetent.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I don't think so. But this has been talked about for years.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

She wasn’t making basketball decisions until 2017 when she fired Jim and Mitch and hired Magic and Pelinka.

I used to have some reluctance to the notion that she didn't bear responsibility for the team during the Jim/Mitch years because during that period she was already team governor and her inability to bridge the gap with Jim (or move him out sooner) directly led to disfunction in management of the team. The fact that she used to say she took a hands off approach with basketball ops was unto itself, poor leadership under those circumstances.

But I suppose the situation was unique with how her father set things up and you could make a case it was just set up to fail. So the 2017 start is a little cleaner.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to a new season of Roster Pachinko, with your host, Rob Pelinka.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
Welcome to a new season of Roster Pachinko, with your host, Rob Pelinka.

Let's see if next year he can beat his own record, changing all 15 players between seasons
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I used to have some reluctance to the notion that she didn't bear responsibility for the team during the Jim/Mitch years because during that period she was already team governor and her inability to bridge the gap with Jim (or move him out sooner) directly led to disfunction in management of the team. The fact that she used to say she took a hands off approach with basketball ops was unto itself, poor leadership under those circumstances.

But I suppose the situation was unique with how her father set things up and you could make a case it was just set up to fail. So the 2017 start is a little cleaner.

I'll raise you one with the following.
One of the driving factors behind the Moz/Deng signings was that Operations (Jim/Mitch) were under the impression that the NBA would approve another amnesty. (There's a Mitch interview that documents this). There had been a lot of scuttle-but about this at that time, there was even talk of multiple amnesties in some circles, LG has loads of quotes on this from that time that attest to the high likelihood of at least one amnesty. So Jim/Mitch figured they would be able to get out of at least one of those contracts downstream. Imagine what life would have looked like in that scenario for the Lakers if they didn't have the Deng boat-anchor ...

Thing is, the way the NBA works, it's the team owners that attend these franchise strategy meetings - not lower level "employees" like Jim/Match. It was ownership's responsibility to let Jim/Mitch know that the NBA had reversed stance on amnesty prospects so they would adjust their tactics to be in-line with the overall NBA reality. It's not clear how/why the breakdown in communication happened on the Lakers (did anyone from the Lakers even attend the NBA board meeting given that Dr. Buss was unwell? It's not clear). Regardless, Jim/Mitch were not aware of the NBA's change of direction and ended up making those abysmally poor signings due in part to outdated/invalid information..
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I don't think so. But this has been talked about for years.

Ok but it’s true though.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Fix the team Rod. Fix the team.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I'll raise you one with the following.
One of the driving factors behind the Moz/Deng signings was that Operations (Jim/Mitch) were under the impression that the NBA would approve another amnesty. (There's a Mitch interview that documents this). There had been a lot of scuttle-but about this at that time, there was even talk of multiple amnesties in some circles, LG has loads of quotes on this from that time that attest to the high likelihood of at least one amnesty. So Jim/Mitch figured they would be able to get out of at least one of those contracts downstream. Imagine what life would have looked like in that scenario for the Lakers if they didn't have the Deng boat-anchor ...

Thing is, the way the NBA works, it's the team owners that attend these franchise strategy meetings - not lower level "employees" like Jim/Match. It was ownership's responsibility to let Jim/Mitch know that the NBA had reversed stance on amnesty prospects so they would adjust their tactics to be in-line with the overall NBA reality. It's not clear how/why the breakdown in communication happened on the Lakers (did anyone from the Lakers even attend the NBA board meeting given that Dr. Buss was unwell? It's not clear). Regardless, Jim/Mitch were not aware of the NBA's change of direction and ended up making those abysmally poor signings due in part to outdated/invalid information..

I don’t believe the FO signed Moz and Deng, because they thought they could amnesty their contracts. In the Military we called that, fraud waste and abuse.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject:

If you extend LBJ, you have to try and build a roster. I am baffled at this teams moves. You have LBJ who likes to dominate the ball so you add Russ and gut the team. Further Russ being a non-shooter you add zero shooters. Now you extend LBJ, trade THT for Pat Bev, don't trade Russ and sign Dennis. This team has 9 friggin players that play G or listed as G-F and most are PG-SG. Worst the team's designated shooter Matt Ryan had one good game in the preseason otherwise when has he really made shots? You can't run 3 guard lineups if they can't shoot. I almost forgot for all the brilliant moves, Rob gets an extension.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

A team that won a championship as recent as 2020 and has stars like Lebron, AD etc is not run into the ground. It's more that we're not run by the most potent and qualified people. So, for every good move they make, they usually concede 5 shoot yoursleves in the foot moves along with it.

As a Lakers fan, I am just grateful we're not on the Knicks level. We easily could have been. We won a title, just 4 years after Kobe retired. Think about that, how quick that was. Teams have to wait decades. Some never do.

With that in mind, being mediocre a few years, it's all right. Certainly the standards set by Dr Buss are not being met, but we were never realistically ever going to. Just be grateful at least we're not the Knicks/Dolan level. I wish we had better qualified people in charge, but for whatever reason, despite this, the Lakers continue to find ways to win championships.

The key here may be what we do with the draft picks and capspace moving forward and how much of a positive net value the younger Buss kids bring to the table. If they don't panic and make more shoot yourself in the foot moves, at the start of 2023 summer we sit in a pretty solid spot with AD to trade, all our draft picks in tact, 30-35M in capspace, Lebron on possibly a last year deal. Things are not as bad as it seem if you can just escape this year without doing anything stupid.

Now lets see if they refrain from doing anything stupid from November to June. Fingers crossed.

Lebron and AD got us 33 wins last year, roughly 35-40 this year tops. Not a contender, not a playoff team, not a rebuilding team. The cap space won't be used for a difference maker. Lebron is 38. This organization is going nowhere with no real direction and a murky future.

They're designed to sell tickets so LeBald can get his scoring title in purple and gold. Turning over the majority of your roster with league min players every year isn't how you build a team.

Quite frankly, they're a joke.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Lebron and AD got us 33 wins last year, roughly 35-40 this year tops. Not a contender, not a playoff team, not a rebuilding team. The cap space won't be used for a difference maker. Lebron is 38. This organization is going nowhere with no real direction and a murky future.

They're designed to sell tickets so LeBald can get his scoring title in purple and gold. Turning over the majority of your roster with league min players every year isn't how you build a team.

Quite frankly, they're a joke.

Sadly I have to agree. There is no direction. Stuck in suck land with not even a benefit of a pick when we suffer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 190 of 245
Jump to: