THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3289, 3290, 3291 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I know this is the politics thread, but I highly suggest that anyone who wants an entertaining, and dark, journey into the roots of what the Republican Party of the last 50 plus years is, watch Gaslit on Starz.

It's about Watergate from the perspective of what happened to Martha Mitchell, the wife of John Mitchell who was Nixon's Attorney General, who was cruelly held captive in an attempt to keep her from going to the media with what she knew about the break in.

It's a biting and insightful indictment of the GOP's cruelty, corruption, criminality and incompetence deeply rooted in the misogyny of their commitment to the White Male Patriarchy that still resonates all to loudly a half century later.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject:

^^It is why Pence wouldn't get in the car on Insurrection day.. with his own SS*

I have to quit being a sissy and watch stuff like this. I hate it in my soul that politicians cannot work for a common good and just watching their evil hurts

*Pence needs to be thanked for this move.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject:

GOP is discipline with labeling the left, from 'liberal' and now 'extreme left'... this is a PR war that DNC needs to win. 'Alt-right' was good but nobody says it anymore
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Wilt wrote:
^

I admit it's anecdotal evidence, but every single person that says that stuff that I know would never go out to knock on doors, volunteer, attend countless organizing meetings, and everything else that it takes on the local level to keep a competitive party. They're entitled, lazy people, but they make sure you know that they are the most progressive people and the two major parties are the same.

I hate how the people who say "both parties suck" and that they don't vote because of that act like they're smarter and more pure and independent than the rest of us.

I have a business mentor who is one of the smartest and most conscious people I've ever met. He had read literally hundreds of books in the past 20 years, and he runs his business with a focus on serving and empowering other people in the company rather than making more money that he doesn't really need. But when it comes to politics, he says that it doesn't matter which party is in power because everything goes in cycles and that the decisions they make in DC don't even affect our personal lives. The ironic thing is that this guy seems to have a good number of left-wing views, especially on social issues, and he told me a few years ago that he really disliked Trump.

When people have that kind of attitude, it's exactly what the autocrats in the GOP and the corporate aristocrats who run our nation want, because there's less chance of them being reigned in.

Along with tribalism, consumer selfishness and lack of grit is what the GOP relies on. The “soft middle”. Every single time they have power they ruin things to the point that the independents vote democratic. And as soon as the dems start doing the things that it takes to undo the mess, the independents begin to whine about how hard it all is. They just want someone to come in and put cheap plentiful stuff back on the table with no drama. It’s why messaging doesn’t work the same for the dems.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
OAN Admits ‘No Widespread Voter Fraud’ After Settling Suit

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1523866065511632897
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

The right-wing GOP wants NO abortion exceptions. Not for rape, not for incest, not for ectopic pregnancies or to save the life of the mother. Here's one ER doc's story treating a patient (most women don't even know they are pregnant when an ectopic pregnancy occurs - they only find out when they are in the ER about to die of it).

Quote:
Street Medic @RndmStreetMedic

Last night, a younger patient arrived with abdominal pain, chest pain, and shortness of breath. While assessing, the patient began to appear more and more pale with each moment. "I tested + with two at home tested, but I have an IUD." VS=HR 150 BP 80/40

I sounded an alarm.

POCUS conducted by MD/PA team revealed fluid in the lower abdomen. At the same time, we established 3 IVs, ran labs, sprinted a runner to blood bank, and started prepping the patient in the ED for emergency surgery.

It's 0200. Surgical team is en route

Prior to transfer to surgical suite, the patient received two units of RBC and one of FFP. UPreg & HCG are +. Upon transfer, the patient's HR is 90 and BP is 122/60s.

All of this happened within 90 minutes.

At the end of my shift a few hours later, I went upstairs to the floor where the patient was recovering. They were awake, they were in very good spirits, they were appreciative, and above all else...they were alive.

The final diagnosis was a ruptured ectopic pregnancy resulting in hemorrhage.

Why is this important?

I can't wear a pink hat or pins supporting reproductive autonomy at work. But what I can do is guarantee that if you show up at my ED, you will get my best and the best of my teammates in our endeavors to provide care that's based on evidence...not political (bleep)

This is important because there are people with power out here trying to claim that what we did last night should be a crime, that the reward for saving a life should be imprisonment or worse, and that the choice to survive should be met with punishment.

Under the laws being pushed by the right wing in this country, this patient would either be dead or they would be alive and we'd all be criminals for saving her life.

There's nothing pro-life about that.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
OAN Admits ‘No Widespread Voter Fraud’ After Settling Suit

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1523866065511632897

Which will be ignored by their viewers and the GOP in general.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I know this is the politics thread, but I highly suggest that anyone who wants an entertaining, and dark, journey into the roots of what the Republican Party of the last 50 plus years is, watch Gaslit on Starz.

It's about Watergate from the perspective of what happened to Martha Mitchell, the wife of John Mitchell who was Nixon's Attorney General, who was cruelly held captive in an attempt to keep her from going to the media with what she knew about the break in.

It's a biting and insightful indictment of the GOP's cruelty, corruption, criminality and incompetence deeply rooted in the misogyny of their commitment to the White Male Patriarchy that still resonates all to loudly a half century later.

HR Haldeman is a fellow college alum and I'm proud of that (ahem). He and John Ehrlichman were ultimate WMP slimers. You wanna an effin posterchild for what WMP is, it's Bob Haldeman. And both were Germans, making it all the more sinister (I actually had an SS Gestapo German grandfather, so I get where German jokes are coming from). Jeez, Dick had a lot crooks. Unfortunately for him, there was that one who was smart enough to know that the Admin was about to take a mighty fall and he wasn't going to be the fall-guy. He knew it was going to be him when Nixon did the obvious of demanding that he write a letter absolving him (Nixon) of any knowledge of wrongdoings. I remember a video clip of Bob Dole decades later grumbling about Dean when asked about him. Bob said, "Err, I never was a fan of Dean..." Then these stereotypical Republican types just move on from admin to admin. Cheney and Rumsfeld started out in Ford's Admin. Then you got the Ollie North types in the Reagan years. Ambiguous ne'er-do-well to do dirty tricks w/ typical R pricks like Caspar Weinberger who was noted for cutting money from social programs. Then you go to the Dubya years. The Bushes incestuously retained some of the same holdovers from the Reagan years, such as Enron dude James Baker. And all that above is quaint now. History has shifted our perspectives of Watergate. Now, Watergate does not bother me, does your conscience bother you? (tell the truth)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The right-wing GOP wants NO abortion exceptions. Not for rape, not for incest, not for ectopic pregnancies or to save the life of the mother. Here's one ER doc's story treating a patient (most women don't even know they are pregnant when an ectopic pregnancy occurs - they only find out when they are in the ER about to die of it).

I wonder if this zero exceptions stance is also something they can be publicly shamed into altering like the good-ol-Southern no age limit marriage weirdness in Tennessee. Unfortunately, cases and deaths would probably be what it would take to be exhibited in state governments to get these meatheads to realize that no exceptions is untenable (if not immoral, which they won't understand anyway). The rape and incest sh is mindboggling. Is there going to be a teenage victim of rape and/or incestuous rape who needs to be brought to the public's attention because she is forced by lack of resources to go elsewhere for an abortion? Do we unfortunately need a real face to show how heinous this no exception sh is? IF the Repugs have their way and make NO so. And what's to stop them, especially Tennessee where we don't need no stinkin age limits to marriage (spits tobaccy, wearing overalls w/ no shoes, working a moonshine still, Dueling Banjos playing).
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I wonder if this zero exceptions stance is also something they can be publicly shamed into altering like the good-ol-Southern no age limit marriage weirdness in Tennessee. Unfortunately, cases and deaths would probably be what it would take to be exhibited in state governments to get these meatheads to realize that no exceptions is untenable (if not immoral, which they won't understand anyway). The rape and incest sh is mindboggling. Is there going to be a teenage victim of rape and/or incestuous rape who needs to be brought to the public's attention because she is forced by lack of resources to go elsewhere for an abortion? Do we unfortunately need a real face to show how heinous this no exception sh is? IF the Repugs have their way and make NO so. And what's to stop them, especially Tennessee where we don't need no stinkin age limits to marriage (spits tobaccy, wearing overalls w/ no shoes, working a moonshine still, Dueling Banjos playing).

The cynic in me says the no rape/incest exception would be overturned in a second if it was a black man raping a white girl. I personally think the racist streak is more important in these backwaters than abortion is.

Deplorables was an understatement.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Steele: It Doesn't Matter If Trump-Endorsed Candidates Lose. A Loss Is A Win.)

Quote:
With Republican primaries in West Virginia and Nebraska underway, Michael Steele, Chuck Todd, Kimberly Atkins Stohr, Mark Murray, and Vaughn Hillyard join Andrea Mitchell to discuss this latest test of Trump’s influence over the Republican Party through his endorsements. “It doesn't matter whether they win or lose. He doesn't like the stain of a loss, but even a loss is a win for him,” says Steele. “He's got these candidates groveling to him. You know, Mooney crosses state lines just to be on the stage with Donald Trump in Pennsylvania,” Steele explains. “The establishment still has no clue what to do, so they capitulate and buckle. So where does Trump lose in any of this?”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(Meghan McCain HUMILIATED During Twitter Meltdown)

Quote:
TMR reacts to Steve Schmidt’s many attempts to publicly humiliate Meghan McCain on Twitter over the Mother's Day weekend. Schmidt even outlined some of the dysfunction and mistakes made on the campaign trail that led to John McCain’s disastrous selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Paul Cogan @PaulCogan

Alito’s neighbors are passing out wine and cheese plates to protestors and letting protesters use their bathroom is the best.

I guess Alito's neighbors don't like him either.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

The cynic in me says the no rape/incest exception would be overturned in a second if it was a black man raping a white girl. I personally think the racist streak is more important in these backwaters than abortion is.

If it got enough traction in the media, wouldn't doubt it. In less obvious/blatant times, they used Willie Horton for all he was worth. Not that it needs saying, but in 2022, they are rule-less and platform-less and moral-less. There is NOTHING you can put past Rs now. They don't even want to debate and they don't even want media at their events (we know the real reasons, of course). It's like the Dems are battling an octopus. Basically amorphous, ink they spew are claims not based in observable reality as a diversion to confuse/separate people/opponents, and when they do something that is actually unfavorable to their voters, they just grow back a new tentacle and continue on unscathed. Meanwhile, Rachel Maddow is on with Al Franken while he's watching from his couch instead of live from Congress. Eesh. Where's that bottle of Excedrin...

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue May 10, 2022 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Paul Cogan @PaulCogan

Alito’s neighbors are passing out wine and cheese plates to protestors and letting protesters use their bathroom is the best.

I guess Alito's neighbors don't like him either.

Smart to give them a look into what would come if they go thru w/ those leaked plans, at least until protesters lose steam and enter into the last phase of acceptance. Then again, Brett and Clarence if not the others are the type to claim victim and use the protests as a pretense to steel their resolve on the matter. I'm waiting to hear the first yuck who whines about how badly they're being harassed by far left mobs, yada yada.

I was talking to my far left radical sis the other day about the abortion thing. She's pissed about it especially because she has a daughter and she's disgusted about the rape/incest thing. She told me that one of her daughter's/my neice's friends (21ish agewise) has a Christian mother who was supposedly adamant about abortion being sinful until her daughter got preg and the girl ultimately got one. I wasn't shocked at the hypocrisy, but her and her daughter both supposedly were in some anti-abortion group of protestors at their church some time after the abortion. I forgot the details on what kind of protest it was and where, but that's exactly the kind of hypocrisy that happens when an unwanted pregnancy comes knockin at your door. It's akin to the saying, "There are no athiests in foxholes." Sorta akin. I'll ask my sis if the mom actually helped furnish the abortion or if she simply pretended that her daughter wasn't getting one or what.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Wilt wrote:
^

I admit it's anecdotal evidence, but every single person that says that stuff that I know would never go out to knock on doors, volunteer, attend countless organizing meetings, and everything else that it takes on the local level to keep a competitive party. They're entitled, lazy people, but they make sure you know that they are the most progressive people and the two major parties are the same.

I hate how the people who say "both parties suck" and that they don't vote because of that act like they're smarter and more pure and independent than the rest of us.

I have a business mentor who is one of the smartest and most conscious people I've ever met. He had read literally hundreds of books in the past 20 years, and he runs his business with a focus on serving and empowering other people in the company rather than making more money that he doesn't really need. But when it comes to politics, he says that it doesn't matter which party is in power because everything goes in cycles and that the decisions they make in DC don't even affect our personal lives. The ironic thing is that this guy seems to have a good number of left-wing views, especially on social issues, and he told me a few years ago that he really disliked Trump.

When people have that kind of attitude, it's exactly what the autocrats in the GOP and the corporate aristocrats who run our nation want, because there's less chance of them being reigned in.

Along with tribalism, consumer selfishness and lack of grit is what the GOP relies on. The “soft middle”. Every single time they have power they ruin things to the point that the independents vote democratic. And as soon as the dems start doing the things that it takes to undo the mess, the independents begin to whine about how hard it all is. They just want someone to come in and put cheap plentiful stuff back on the table with no drama. It’s why messaging doesn’t work the same for the dems.

That selfishness is the key, along with cynicism, which is a key component of the conservative ideology.

Left-wing policies mean that some white people will have to show humility and share a little bit with minorites. It means that rich and wealthy people will have to share a bit of their wealth with poor people. It means the extremely religious people will have to show humility and be less divisive and stop acting like they have all the answers.

Our society has bred selfishness and vapid consumerism for at least 40 years, along with a cynical attitude towards govt and the attitude of "govt is the problem" and "the scariest words are 'I'm from the govt and I'm here to help.'" Boomers and Gen X were raised on that S and they believe in it like little kids believe in Santa Claus.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

They'd make abortions mandatory (except in Alabama, where they'd do a genetic analysis to see if the kid projected to be a D-1 quarterback).
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject:

CNN

(This is what determines the price of gas)

Quote:
Gas prices rise and fall but where is your money actually going? CNN's Jon Sarlin breaks down what goes in every cent at the pump.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Sen. Graham Praises Biden, Condemns Trump In Newly-Released Audio)

Quote:
In newly-released audio from New York Times reporters Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., on January 6, praises President Biden's temperament and criticizes Donald Trump's behavior during the insurrection. The Morning Joe panel discusses.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Conservatives Resort To Double Standard To Stir Outrage Over Supreme Court Protests)

Quote:
Mehdi Hasan highlights the double standard of Fox News conservatives pretending to be outraged over peaceful protests outside the houses of Supreme Court justices after making excuses for January 6th rioters and ignoring the actual violence committed by anti-abortion protesters.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
MSNBC

(Conservatives Resort To Double Standard To Stir Outrage Over Supreme Court Protests)

Quote:
Mehdi Hasan highlights the double standard of Fox News conservatives pretending to be outraged over peaceful protests outside the houses of Supreme Court justices after making excuses for January 6th rioters and ignoring the actual violence committed by anti-abortion protesters.

there is no double standard. This is part of their game plan. A double standard seemingly implies they care one way or the other. IMHO they don't.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Pro-Trump Network Finally Walks Back Bogus Claims Of Voter Fraud)

Quote:
The pro-Trump One America Network in a legal statement is admitting that there was no widespread voter fraud by Georgia election officials. The Morning Joe panel discusses.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
MSNBC

(Pro-Trump Network Finally Walks Back Bogus Claims Of Voter Fraud)

Quote:
The pro-Trump One America Network in a legal statement is admitting that there was no widespread voter fraud by Georgia election officials. The Morning Joe panel discusses.

It's not going to make a bit of difference to their viewers and other Republicans. The "stolen election" is their rallying cry.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Toobin identifies 4 issues Clarence Thomas could change next)

Quote:
CNN's Jeffery Toobin looks at how Justice Clarence Thomas' gained more power on the Supreme Court.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Brian Tyler Cohen @briantylercohen

NEW: Manchin is a NO on the Womens Health Protection Act, the bill codifying Roe, per @mkraju.

As always, (bleep) Joe Manchin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3289, 3290, 3291 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3290 of 3663
Jump to: