THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3185, 3186, 3187 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

More recently he endorsed Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Not saying that makes up for anything but it does count for something in my eyes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Powell made a horrible mistake. I think he may have initially been duped. I also think he was weak by staying with the lie. I stand with his accomplishments outweigh his mistake. In fact, it was said if he'd run for president he may have been the 1st Black president. I'm saddened by his death. COVID spares no one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Call me melodramatic but the Iraq War 2.0 was the match strike that led us right up to the precipice of authoritarianism. The New World Order to the Tea Party to whatever this mockery of government that's the current Republican party. See the pattern here? What's next?

Dress is up with FREEDOM! or PATRIOTISM! and it's hook, line and sink'er,.

The left really needs some buzz words. Think they're hiring for a marketing manager?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Same with that Kuwaiti Ambassador who sent his daughter out to tell the press the Iraqi Red Guard had broken through and they went through the nursery in the hospital and were tipping over incubator babies onto the floor

And of course George Bush Sr and him creating fake satellite images for the press

Was that Rumsfeld or Ashcroft selling chemical weapons to Saddam?

They're all Homicidal Capitalists murdering humans to sell weapons or intentionally murdering the planet to squeeze out some more Coal and Oil profits

Homicidal Capitalists
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

We even broke tons of Geneva conventions by not securing their cultural artifacts or museums etc

How many innocents are dead because America serves no knock warrants on the wrong countries

Not a single attack by Iraq against American soil, or military, and we murdered thousands of innocent men, women, and children so we could keep our economy going-our way of life.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

American't Freedumb
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Powell made a horrible mistake. I think he may have initially been duped. I also think he was weak by staying with the lie. I stand with his accomplishments outweigh his mistake. In fact, it was said if he'd run for president he may have been the 1st Black president. I'm saddened by his death. COVID spares no one.

No. He did not make a "mistake". He made a calculated decision to help further the lie because it was personally convenient to him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
More recently he endorsed Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Not saying that makes up for anything but it does count for something in my eyes.

He also made critiques of Obama on Iraq publicly which he refused to do to W even after the fact, and threw Hillary under the bus on emails (saying she did it before she knew he did, as if it wasn’t widely known among staffers that he and Rice who followed him did so as standard practice). And he waited until January of this year to officially break with the GOP.

Overall, I think he was a good soldier who showed plenty of physical courage, but as a statesman he was short of moral courage when it mattered most. And for the most part, he got away with taking the easy way out. I didn’t think about him much or wish him ill personally, and I send my condolences to his family, but he’s not a great man.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He also made critiques of Obama on Iraq publicly which he refused to do to W even after the fact, and threw Hillary under the bus on emails (saying she did it before she knew he did, as if it wasn’t widely known among staffers that he and Rice who followed him did so as standard practice). And he waited until January of this year to officially break with the GOP.

Overall, I think he was a good soldier who showed plenty of physical courage, but as a statesman he was short of moral courage when it mattered most. And for the most part, he got away with taking the easy way out. I didn’t think about him much or wish him ill personally, and I send my condolences to his family, but he’s not a great man.

Outside of his younger years, when in the heat of actual battle, he never did anything positive that wasn't actually personally convenient in the moment.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I tend to agree with you. He was clearly used as he has so much credibility. I believe Powell thought he was portraying the data accurately. Rachel did a segment on Powell last night that was actual reporting--not over-hyping nor overly critical. She used a line something like, we are all better than our worst moments. She also said he is likely the most popular man, not being a president or a pope, in modern times, coveted by both Democrats and Republicans as both tried to get him to run

That Powell misled in his 76 minute speech at the UN is a horrible blight on his record that he, as the honorable man that I believe he was, had to live with.

What this stain on Powell is more than anything, is just one more blight on Bush.

Last edited by ribeye on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

The motivation behind the second still remains a mystery in my book. W and his administration were hell bent on fighting them, there was no way Powell didn't know that the yellow cake intel was fabricated. Running State isn't a military operation, you don't blindly follow orders, especially if the orders involve the potential killing and maiming of tens of thousands, and the expenditure of trillions of dollars.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

I was never a fan of the first Gulf War either. It was a cover-up for some idiots at State who didn't have the common sense to tell Saddam that the US would retaliate in force. After Saddam invaded, it was too late for him to pull back without losing significant political capital. And of course any diplomatic solution remained hidden from our eyes.

Trump wasn't the only one who played to the stupidity of the American public. People bought into President Bush's line on defending democracy. We weren't defending a democracy, we were restoring an oil emirate. At some point you have to question whether Bush was really trying to protect the price of oil (nebulous argument at best), or perhaps placating his business interests and friends in the House of Saud. Or was it a political move to show that American could force the fractured Middle Eastern world that there was a new sheriff in town? I'm sure all played a part, but none of them are satisfactory answers.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I tend to agree with you. He was clearly used as he has so much credibility. I believe Powell thought he was portraying the data accurately. Rachel did a segment on Powell last night that was actual reporting--not over-hyping nor overly critical. She used a line something like, we are all better than our worst moments. She also said he is likely the most popular man, not being a president or a pope, in modern times, coveted by both Democrats and Republicans as both tried to get him to run

That Powell misled in his 76 minute speech at the UN is a horrible blight on his record that he, as the honorable man that I believe he was, had to live with.

What this stain on Powell is more than anything, is just one more blight on Bush.

And thousands and thousands and thousands of people died because of. Sorry, that can't be rationalized away with "but otherwise he was a good guy who was popular."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

And thousands and thousands and thousands of people died because of. Sorry, that can't be rationalized away with "but otherwise he was a good guy who was popular."

We disagree. Thousands and thousands died because of Bush. He was determined to go to war and would do anything, lie and mislead, to get it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

In case you haven't seen this ad on Joe "Mansion" yet.

Wow!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
We disagree. Thousands and thousands died because of Bush. He was determined to go to war and would do anything, lie and mislead, to get it.

Yes. And Powell aided in that rather than do the correct and honorable thing. It's like the person who drives someone to the bank to rob it. They are complicit in the crime - doesn't matter if they were "a good guy".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yes. And Powell aided in that rather than do the correct and honorable thing. It's like the person who drives someone to the bank to rob it. They are complicit in the crime - doesn't matter if they were "a good guy".

Worse, he was like the bank employee who vouched for the robbers so the bank employees wouldn’t suspect a robbery.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Worse, he was like the bank employee who vouched for the robbers so the bank employees wouldn’t suspect a robbery.

A much better analogy for sure.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No. He did not make a "mistake". He made a calculated decision to help further the lie because it was personally convenient to him.

His character belies him doing things for personal gain. If personal gain was a need he would have run for president. I think he was misinformed.

LINK
Quote:
Colin Powell knew his name would be forever tied to the ill-fated U.S. 2003 invasion of Iraq, and that the lending of his reputation and personal prestige to the faulty intelligence used to justify the ensuing war was an indelible stain.

“I didn’t lie. I didn’t know it was not true. I was secretary of state, not the director of intelligence,” he said in a 2005 interview, just months after he was asked to resign from the administration of President George W. Bush.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

I just wanted to point out Psaki bold faced lied about only big banks care about the $600 transaction oversight. The only people this affects is small business. Bezos, Musk, and Gates are not making huge transactions on cash apps. Lmfao, if your're going to lie at least put some effort into it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
I just wanted to point out Psaki bold faced lied about only big banks care about the $600 transaction oversight. The only people this affects is small business. Bezos, Musk, and Gates are not making huge transactions on cash apps. Lmfao, if your're going to lie at least put some effort into it.

I really don't know to what it is you are referencing. Please provide a link.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
In case you haven't seen this ad on Joe "Mansion" yet.

Wow!

Manchin will have to double up on his Depend undergarments . . . after seeing that video.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:

I really don't know to what it is you are referencing. Please provide a link.

He's repeating a right-wing talking point about a new proposed tax policy. Here's a blurb from an article explaining in detail:

USA Today: Fact check: Claim about the IRS monitoring bank accounts over $600 exaggerates reality

Quote:
A tax law proposal by the Biden administration has led social media users to question whether the government is overstepping on Americans’ financial privacy.

“Biden’s Treasury Dept. Declares IRS Will Monitor Transactions of ALL U.S. Accounts Over $600," reads the headline of a Sept. 10 InfoWars story that has been shared widely on Facebook.

Quote:
The latest IRS estimates show a tax gap of $166 billion per year between the tax owed by businesses (not counting large corporations) and the tax actually paid. The document says requiring comprehensive reporting on money flowing in and out of accounts "will enhance the effectiveness of IRS enforcement measures and encourage voluntary compliance."

To achieve that, the Treasury proposed requiring financial institutions to annually report the total amount of money that went in and out of bank, loan and investment accounts if those accounts hold a value of at least $600, or if the total is at least $600 in a year.

Quote:
Chuck Marr, senior director of federal tax policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, told USA TODAY the threshold for tracking the funds is set low, at $600, to make sure the system can't be manipulated by the wealthy.

"It's hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars a year of taxes that are legally owed and not collected at the IRS which has been decimated with a decade of budget cuts, and that has led to a plummeting of audit, particularly of high income people, to the point now where some the highest capital audit rates in the country tend to be in Deep South poor, Black, rural counties, which is obviously upside down," Marr said. "...You want to make sure the threshold is low enough so these people cannot divide up their money into multiple accounts.

"The proposed initiatives are aimed at making the tax system more equitable and efficient, said Natasha Sarin, the treasury's deputy assistant secretary for economic policy.

“Overall, the Administration’s compliance initiatives are guided by a singular objective – bringing about an end to a two-tiered tax system, where ordinary Americans comply with their tax obligations, but many high-end taxpayers do not,” Sarin said in a statement.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:

Cool story bro! Any comment on the completely fabricated “Bowling Green massacre” that Kellanne Conartist perpetuated?
I’m guessing not.

Last edited by eddiejonze on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

These hit-and-run/propaganda/right-wing/no link posts are for dumbasses.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3185, 3186, 3187 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 3186 of 3672
Jump to: