THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1798, 1799, 1800 ... 3683, 3684, 3685  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

We had a terrible election night in Washington state, and also in my own county and city. Turnout was abysmal, most of the good ballot measures ended up failing, Spokane elected a freaking news anchor as mayor.

And the Democratic party really tried their best to motivate people to vote where I live. And we make it so easy for people to vote in this state. But people don't care for these off year elections.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I was having lunch with a friend today and the subject of abortion came up. I asked him if the US had a law which deemed abortion illegal after 6 months but a woman wanted an abortion at 2 months should she be able to? He refused to answer the question and he threw the question back at me if she wanted an abortion at 7 months I answered a simple "no". I asked him why he can't give me the same courtesy and backed him into a corner and he threw a massive fit. I was seeing red and refused to let up. He got up and left abruptly and I was kind of embarrassed for going overboard but a mom and her daughter that were sitting next to me thanked me so that made me feel a little better.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
We had a terrible election night in Washington state, and also in my own county and city. Turnout was abysmal, most of the good ballot measures ended up failing, Spokane elected a freaking news anchor as mayor.

And the Democratic party really tried their best to motivate people to vote where I live. And we make it so easy for people to vote in this state. But people don't care for these off year elections.

Ranked choice voting won in NY. It's about time to get it everywhere.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

William Barr is racing to deliver a report that blows up the impeachment inquiry—and everything else

Quote:
Attorney General William Barr is racing to complete a new “report” before Thanksgiving. And if Barr’s very poor summary of the Mueller report threw Trump a lifeline by distorting the real findings of the special counsel investigation, this new report looks to be more like an atom bomb, designed to incinerate Washington by putting the whole Justice Department behind a conspiracy theory that rewrites history and declares open warfare on political opponents. And Republicans are already meeting with Barr to plan a “roll out” for this supposedly classified report in order to maximize its impact.

Barr appears to have taken the results of an inspector general report that was expected to end weeks ago, rolled it together with the investigation-into-the-investigation that he launched under the nominal control of prosecutor John Durham, and capped it all with the “findings” of a world tour that included attempts to get the Australian government, the Italian government, and the U.K. government to participate in attacks on U.S. intelligence agencies. What’s going to come out the other end could be a dud, but it could launch an effort to derail the impeachment process—and more.

Quote:
Barr is having advance meetings (including one on Wednesday with Senate Judiciary chair Lindsey Graham) so that talking points and presentations can be ready in advance of an official release.

Freeking scary to think there is a conspiracy with Republicans and the AG.

Also, from WaPo: Justice Dept. trying to finish report on Russia probe before Thanksgiving
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Am I the only one who's thinking we may see a Pence resignation before too long? It's looking more & more like Pence is going to get sucked up in this, so there's an increasing likelihood that if Trump goes, they both go, and we end up with President Pelosi. And I may be fooling myself here, but I think if there's clear enough evidence, they'll get enough Republican Senate support in the trial. My reasoning would be that a deposed Trump can't hurt them as much, so there's less need to say in line -- and in fact, it'll allow some to retain their own dignity in an increasingly obviously unwinnable situation -- it doesn't take that many to flip.

And we can even apply a little game theory here, and hypothesize how many Senators will keep their "convict" vote secret until the actual vote (or more likely, have secret voting blocs), and therefore a number of Senators who will be wondering how many other Senators are going to flip, doing calculus on how that would affect THEIR position going forward, and how that will affect their votes.

So if enough Republicans see the writing on the wall, and behave as though the writing was on the wall, what are they going to do in advance of impeachment?

Trade their willingness to break from their caucus and be willing to convict given convincing evidence, with an assurance from the Democrats not to impeach Pence?

Or how about, the party decides that they're willing to oust Trump, and convinces Pence to resign so they can get a Republican in the VP seat who isn't involved in any scandal (I know...they're going to have to look pretty hard to find a clean Republican...), so he can take over when the inevitable happens with Trump.

So...this idea depends on a couple things -- 1) How certain are the Republican Senators that a trial would result in an acquittal; and 2) How dangerous would a deposed Trump be to the party?

Admittedly Pence would be horrible as President. Scarier than Trump the Clown because when you boil it down, that's what Trump is...a clown. Given that, the only bright side of a President Pence is that it would become clear how truly out of touch he is and what a horrible mistake it would be to actually elect him into office.

I do agree with you though, it's quite possible Pence will get thrown under the bus and resign before all this is said and done. If Trump goes down, he'll suck everyone in his vortex down with him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

On a brighter note, here on the other end of the state, the campaign I put together to form a hospital district (there won’t be a hospital, just the legal name of a taxing district) is passing at 72% approval.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
It’s possible many people in this country didn’t see a lesser of two evils between Trump and Hilary, so they couldn’t vote for either.

This thread is full of lunatics. Ban me.

The only lunacy is in the idea of not seeing a lesser of two evils between Trump and Clinton.

Lunacy is shaming someone over and over who didn’t want an argument because they didn’t vote for who kikanga wanted them to.

There are several words one could reasonably use to describe kikanga’s advocacy for shaming people who refused to vote in the last election because of the asinine “both sides were the same” position - some complimentary and some not.

But lunacy is not one of them.

Yes, it is. What in the world would that accomplish, shaming people for their RIGHT to not vote, or God forbid, vote for the candidate they want?

I don’t know if you know this, but along with the right to not vote, and the right to loudly proclaim you didn’t vote, and why, comes the right of others to share their opinions about that. Like many folks, you seem to think that freedom is one way.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

On a brighter note, here on the other end of the state, the campaign I put together to form a hospital district (there won’t be a hospital, just the legal name of a taxing district) is passing at 72% approval.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Ranked choice voting won in NY. It's about time to get it everywhere.

Amen, brother.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Great news! Proud of my new second home!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

Can Rand Paul be arrested for not registering as a Russian Agent

This guy needs incarcerated for a life sentence for being Putin and Trump's sex toy

NEVER EVER FORGET this (bleep) in this link. He delivered secret communication from Trump to Putin
KOMPROMAT
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Paul+carried+a+handwritten+note+from+Trump+to+Putin+on+his+trip.&s=g

He is asking for the whistleblower name to be leaked and blocking
Election security
Whistleblower protection
Veterans Health
Probably more

Why can't anyone stop these treasonous creeps?
This is a actual War for our nation back

I hope we freeze every diplomatic tie we have to Russia
Kick out any corporations they have in America
And start a cold war with them

Trump is a Russian Terrorist and Putin helped force him on us
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quinnipiac Iowa poll:

Warren 20
Buttigieg 19
Sanders 17
Biden 15

This is all within the margin of error, so any of these people could be leading there. But we have to acknowledge that Mayor Pete is gaining momentum in Iowa. He and Warren just happen to have the best organization in that state, and it shows.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Crazy thing is. As of last week (not sure about now). Warren hadn't spent any $ in Iowa on commercials. That's how solid her message and ground game is.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

Something to think about when the Democratic nominee is not your first or second or even tenth choice:

President Donald J. Trump Is Appointing a Historic Number of Federal Judges to Uphold Our Constitution as Written

Quote:
Working with the Senate, President Trump has now had 158 judicial nominees confirmed to the Federal bench – a historic transformation of the judiciary.

President Trump has nominated and had confirmed, two Supreme Court justices, 44 Circuit Court judges, and 112 District Court judges.

President Trump has appointed more circuit judges by this point in his presidency than any president in recent history.

Approximately 1 out of every 4 active judges on United States Courts of Appeals has been appointed by President Trump.

This historic transformation is only accelerating, with President Trump on pace to have more judges confirmed this year than in 2017 and 2018 combined.

Why Democrats should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS VOTE, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS vote for the Democrat.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

^
but her emails...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

It's like Bill Gates implying he wouldn't vote for Warren because of her wealth tax, then talking about his coming book on the Environment. If you care about the Environment, you don't consider voting for Trump. Period. The cognitive dissonance is headache inducing.

If you vote for Trump, literally the day after the inauguration we officially pull out of Paris Climate accord. If a Democrat wins, the US stays in.

THIS SHOULD BE A NO-BRAINER EVEN IF YOU'RE A BILLIONAIRE. WHAT GOOD DOES AN EXTRA BILLION DO YOU IF THE EARTH IS NO LONGER INHABITABLE?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Something to think about when the Democratic nominee is not your first or second or even tenth choice:

President Donald J. Trump Is Appointing a Historic Number of Federal Judges to Uphold Our Constitution as Written

Quote:
Working with the Senate, President Trump has now had 158 judicial nominees confirmed to the Federal bench – a historic transformation of the judiciary.

President Trump has nominated and had confirmed, two Supreme Court justices, 44 Circuit Court judges, and 112 District Court judges.

President Trump has appointed more circuit judges by this point in his presidency than any president in recent history.

Approximately 1 out of every 4 active judges on United States Courts of Appeals has been appointed by President Trump.

This historic transformation is only accelerating, with President Trump on pace to have more judges confirmed this year than in 2017 and 2018 combined.

Why Democrats should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS VOTE, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS vote for the Democrat.

Yes don’t think, just vote. That’s a smart way to run a democracy.

The two party system is incredibly flawed as it is, let’s not make it even worse please. Analyze the candidates, figure out who you agree most with and vote. If you don’t think either are fit for the presidency, there is nothing wrong with not voting. And judging by how the Democratic primaries are going, that will unfortunately be the case for the second consecutive election. I hope in my lifetime the two party system will be removed.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
THIS SHOULD BE A NO-BRAINER EVEN IF YOU'RE A BILLIONAIRE. WHAT GOOD DOES AN EXTRA BILLION DO YOU IF THE EARTH IS NO LONGER INHABITABLE?

I find this kind of hyperbolic language dangerous and believe is part of the reason why reasonable discussion regarding climate change is getting tougher and tougher. Where have you read that the Earth will be uninhabitable anytime in the next few centuries? Why do you think this is such a pressing issue? Do you not think we have more important things to worry about as a country?

We have been making steps in the right direction regarding climate change and I strongly believe we need to continue to do so. What I don’t believe is that we need to take drastic and overly expensive measures to fix it as I believe it will make it much tougher for our country to fix more important issues.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

The two party system is incredibly flawed as it is, let’s not make it even worse please. Analyze the candidates, figure out who you agree most with and vote. If you don’t think either are fit for the presidency, there is nothing wrong with not voting. And judging by how the Democratic primaries are going, that will unfortunately be the case for the second consecutive election. I hope in my lifetime the two party system will be removed.

If there was no tangible difference between the 2 parties. You'd have a point. But there is clearly a less worse option. And sitting out an election is how you get a President Trump in the first place.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I find this kind of hyperbolic language dangerous and believe is part of the reason why reasonable discussion regarding climate change is getting tougher and tougher. Where have you read that the Earth will be uninhabitable anytime in the next few centuries? Why do you think this is such a pressing issue? Do you not think we have more important things to worry about as a country?

We have been making steps in the right direction regarding climate change and I strongly believe we need to continue to do so. What I don’t believe is that we need to take drastic and overly expensive measures to fix it as I believe it will make it much tougher for our country to fix more important issues.

Please tell me more about the bolded. Since 2016 what steps have we taken in the right direction?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Please tell me more about the bolded. Since 2016 what steps have we taken in the right direction?

Oh this country has taken countless steps in regards to climate change in the last few years . . . unfortunately they have all been backwards.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

You set up a strawman and a false dichotomy. The consensus is not that the Earth will be uninhabitable in the next few centuries (ironically, you engage in hyperbole in the same paragraph in which you decry hyperbole). It is also not that if the end result isn't an uninhabitable Earth, then it's not such a big problem.

One reference is here: Climate change could cost the U.S. economy hundreds of billions by 2090. In addition to the direct costs described here, a few things I'd like to point out:

* One of the effects of climate change in rising sea levels, and if you look at population distributions, you'll see that people tend to cluster really close to large bodies of water.

* The downstream health effects that are a direct consequence of climate change, and therefore the potential savings by addressing them, alone overwhelm the costs of mitigation.

* Another thing the climate has a big effect on is our ability to grow things we like to eat. We're in pretty grave danger of not being able to feed our projected population, and it'll happen much sooner than "in the next few centuries." Starving kids in Africa? Try globally.

* There is a lot of inertia to climate changes. Think of it like a cruise ship -- it ain't easy to stop, or even turn in a different direction. It'll take a century to reverse some of the effects we've created already, which means we don't have the luxury of waiting until the effects and the needed mitigations are undeniable. (And as we've seen so often, people are so often immune to seeing things that are undeniable anyway.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

If there was no tangible difference between the 2 parties. You'd have a point. But there is clearly a less worse option. And sitting out an election is how you get a President Trump in the first place.

No my point stands whether you see one party as better or not. I know people hate to hear it on here, but many reasonable people believe Hillary is a horrible person like Trump and felt like they had no good choice.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Oh this country has taken countless steps in regards to climate change in the last few years . . . unfortunately they have all been backwards.

You guys are right. I know carbon emissions declined in 2016 and 2017 but upon more research see they have began to rise again

So I agree we need to take steps in the other direction but I still don’t feel like the extreme policies many on the left are pushing are the right move. Again, where has anybody read that the world will be uninhabitable in the next 5 lifetime? I think there are other more urgent matters we need to address while taking incremental steps towards improving the climate change situation. Why do you disagree?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quinnipiac Iowa poll:

Warren 20
Buttigieg 19
Sanders 17
Biden 15

This is all within the margin of error, so any of these people could be leading there. But we have to acknowledge that Mayor Pete is gaining momentum in Iowa. He and Warren just happen to have the best organization in that state, and it shows.

May the whitest candidate win... If Biden doesn't finish above 15% doesn't he lose all his votes?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1798, 1799, 1800 ... 3683, 3684, 3685  Next
Page 1799 of 3685
Jump to: