THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3212, 3213, 3214 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Todd: "Parents are saying 'hey don't make my kid feel guilty." And a parent of color is going...'I need to teach reality.'"

Hannah-Jones: "You should just think a little bit about your framing. You said 'parents.' And then you said 'parents of color.' So the 'white' is silent."

Yet another reason why Chuck Todd should not have a job of any significance. Glad someone pushed back right away on his framing. But he's not the only one that frames this issue in this way.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quote:
Todd: "Parents are saying 'hey don't make my kid feel guilty." And a parent of color is going...'I need to teach reality.'"

Hannah-Jones: "You should just think a little bit about your framing. You said 'parents.' And then you said 'parents of color.' So the 'white' is silent."

Yet another reason why Chuck Todd should not have a job of any significance. Glad someone pushed back right away on his framing. But he's not the only one that frames this issue in this way.

He's definitely not alone in that regard, but as you point out he shouldn't be in the position he is if he's going to echo such obvious bias.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quote:

Not having seen the segment, surmising from what's in this post.

I read; 'hey don't make my kid feel guilty." AS ALL parents of all races asking.

I read; And a parent of color is going...'I need to teach reality. AS Kids of color have a different reality. e.g. How many headlines read "White kid killed by police? Unarmed White person shot and killed by police? Teaching the reality of how people of color are treated is a necessary lesson. Racism exists.

IMO Hannah was projecting.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

No, Todd is clearly delineating between the white parents who don’t want their kids embarrassed by white racism being taught and parents of color who understand both that it is reality and needs to be taught. He’s not wrong in that point. What he does is categorize the white parents as parents, but the POC parents he lists as POC. The proper framing of his point was to use white parents, what he meant, but Todd slipped into his privilege and simply called them parents, like they are the norm and it’s the POC who are the other.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Similarly, when pundits/politicians say "working class," they mean white working class people. So we often hear things like, "The Democrats have lost the working class vote," intentionally ignoring the fact that both Hillary and Biden won the segment of the population that makes under $50,000 a year, which includes people of all races and ethnicities that are part of the working class. But since the Democrats have been losing the white share of the working class for a long time, pundits assume that they've lost the segment of the population that really matters.

And even moderate Democrats show their bias on this issue. I remember Tim Ryan saying that we have to recapture the working class at one of the debates in 2020. He meant white people.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Misogyny + Anti-masking = Adam Carolla + Fox News ?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
No, Todd is clearly delineating between the white parents who don’t want their kids embarrassed by white racism being taught and parents of color who understand both that it is reality and needs to be taught. He’s not wrong in that point. What he does is categorize the white parents as parents, but the POC parents he lists as POC. The proper framing of his point was to use white parents, what he meant, but Todd slipped into his privilege and simply called them parents, like they are the norm and it’s the POC who are the other.

As I said, I didn't see the segment. I see now White parents don't want the truth to be taught and POC do. Framing and verbiage the problem. Thank you OL

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

She dropped an F-bomb . . .
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

watching now, but with the captions on . . .
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
kikanga wrote:

She dropped an F-bomb . . .

I've listened to Carolla since he was doing bits in early days of the Kevin and Bean show on KROQ. He used to be a self-depricating, blue-collar goofball, but as he grew more wealthy and prominent, he has turned in a self-entitled, self-righteous douchebag. Pretty much the exact opposite of the guy he started out with, Jimmy Kimmel.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

Adam Carolla & Dennis Miller (two iffy comedians) have become bigger blowhards as they have grown older.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

As we come up on the anniversary of the January 6 insurrection and attempted coup to steal Biden's presidency and overthrow American democracy in favor of fascism, I just want to reiterate ---

Every single person involved in this criminal conspiracy to overthrow the government should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, starting with Trump, his staff, his advisors, all his lackeys in the House and Senate, all of those who financed the plot and on down to every insurrectionist who breached the Capitol that day.

That's what Merrick Garland should be announcing today. "EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE CONSPIRACY TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW." How hard is that? We are either a democratic nation governed by the rule-of-law or we aren't.

I'm not holding my breath.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

Also 57-43 in favor of guilty in any other context would get you thrown out/fired/convicted/prevented from running for office again.

Quote:
At the conclusion of the trial, the Senate voted 57–43 to convict Trump of inciting insurrection, falling 10 votes short of the two-thirds majority required by the Constitution, and Trump was therefore acquitted.

And here's what Republicans said in the moment before they all fully joined the next conspiracy to steal democracy permanently starting in 2022.

Quote:
Andy Kim @AndyKimNJ (congressman from N.J.)

Remember what Republican leaders said before amnesia set in. I took notes that night:

Mitch McConnell (Jan6): "The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people...They tried to disrupt our democracy, they failed…This failed insurrection.”

Kevin McCarthy (Jan 6): The violence, destruction, and chaos we saw earlier was unacceptable undemocratic and unamerican. It was the saddest day I’ve ever had as serving as a member of this institution…We saw the worst of America this afternoon…”

Kevin McCarthy on Jan 13: “last week’s violent attack on the Capitol was undemocratic, un-American and criminal…those who are responsible for Wednesday’s chaos will be brought to justice…The President bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters.”

VP Pence on Jan 6: “Today was a dark day in the history of the United States capitol…We condemn the violence that took place here in the strongest possible terms…To those who wreaked havoc today, you did not win.”

Rep Steve Scalise on Jan 6: “Once you start taking violent actions against law enforcement you’re not a protestor anymore, you are an anarchist. Whether it’s anarchy or terrorism, they were trying to storm the Capitol and stop our democracy from working.”

Rep Stefanik (R) on Jan 6: “This has been a truly tragic day for America, and we all join together in fully condemning the dangerous violence and destruction…violence in any form is absolutely unacceptable, anti-American, and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Mike Gallagher (R) on Jan 6: “Mr. President. You have got to stop this. You are the only person who can call this off. Call it off. The election is over. Call it off. This is bigger than you. It is bigger than any member of Congress. It is about the United States of America”

Senator Lindsey Graham on Jan 7:
“When it comes to accountability the president needs to understand that his actions were the problem not the solution”

Senator Rand Paul on Jan 6: “Chaos, anarchy. The violence today was wrong and un-American”

Rep Chip Roy (R) on Jan 6: “Today the people’s house was attacked, which is an attack on the republic itself…People need to go to jail… and the president should never have spun up certain Americans to believe something that simply cannot be.”

Senator Thune (R) on Jan 6: “I hope that the types of people who stormed the Capitol today got a clear message that they will not stop our democracy from moving forward…We need to get our work done and this kind of thuggery would not keep us from doing the people’s work”
Rep Dan Crenshaw (R) on Jan 7: “On Wednesday the Capitol of the most powerful nation the world has ever known was stormed by an angry mob. Americans surely never thought they’d see such a scene…It was a display not of patriotism but of frenzy and anarchy.“

Senator Ben Sasse (R) on Jan 6: “This building has been desecrated, blood has been spilled in the hallways…what happened today isn’t what America is…There are some who are trying to burn it all down, and we met some of them today.”

Senator Rob Portman (R) on Jan 6: “I condemn the violent and criminal acts that took place at the US Capitol today. These shameful actions to disrupt a session of Congress and vandalize the Capitol building should never happen in our great republic”

Senator Barrasso (R) on Jan 6: “The violence and destruction have no place in our republic.”

Senator Roy Blunt (R) on Jan 6: “The events unfolding at the Capitol are shameful. There is no justification for violence and destruction. It has to stop now. This is not who we are as a nation. Thank you to the Capitol Police who are keeping us safe.”

Senator Blackburn (R) on Jan 6: “These actions at the US Capitol by protestors are truly despicable and unacceptable. While I am safe and sheltering in place, these protests are prohibiting us from doing our constitutional duty. I condemn them in the strongest possible terms.”

Senator Cynthia Lummis (R) on Jan 6: “Call it what it is: An attack on the Capitol is an attack on democracy”

Senator Rick Scott (R) on Jan 6: “No one has a right to commit violence. What happened today at the Capitol is disgraceful and un-American. It is not what our country stands for.”

Rep Cathy Rodgers (R) on Jan 6: “What we have seen today is unlawful and unacceptable…I have decided I will vote to uphold the Electoral College results and I encourage Donald Trump to condemn and put an end to this madness.”

Senator Rubio on Jan 6: “There is nothing patriotic about what is occurring on Capitol Hill. This is 3rd world style anti-American anarchy”

Senator Rick Scott (R) on Jan 6: “No one has a right to commit violence. What happened today at the Capitol is disgraceful and in-American. It is not what this country stands for”

Senator McConnell: “Former President Trump’s actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty. There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day.”

These are their words from a year ago. Let’s not let them forget. If you know of other notable statements, reply below. END
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

Why does there need to be a congressional vote to bring charges?

The AG of United States of America is who prosecutes Americans... not Congress

This is not sane. So, a politician can commit murder and insurrection and not face charges if he has enough politicians to vote not to press charges?

Some of them shouldn't even be allowed to vote or even be there because they were involved in the (bleep) crime.....

Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere

A Terrorist Attack on America happened. Republicans know who planned and paid for said terrorist attack. Republicans used their political power to protect Terrorist #1

No Trust in Garland or American Justice

Homeless die on city streets
Waiting to die with nothing to eat
While rich politicians soak their feet
In the pools of their Ten million buck retreats
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject:

Democrats are trying to protect the same democracy Republicans are trying to destroy.

I think we're screwed . . . with a capital F.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Garland: DOJ will hold those responsible for Jan. 6 riot accountable, whether they were present or committed other crimes

Quote:
Attorney General Merrick Garland vowed to hold all those responsible for the Jan. 6 riot accountable — whether they were at the Capitol or committed other crimes surrounding the day’s events — saying investigators are methodically building more complicated and serious cases and would prosecute people “at any level.”

“The actions we have taken thus far will not be our last,” Garland said Wednesday, speaking in the Justice Department’s Great Hall in an address that was broadcast live online and by cable news channels. “The Justice Department remains committed to holding all January 6th perpetrators, at any level, accountable under law — whether they were present that day or were otherwise criminally responsible for the assault on our democracy. We will follow the facts wherever they lead.”

Garland’s remarks came on the eve of the anniversary of the Capitol breach and as he faces intensifying pressure to do and say more about the investigation, and to focus more acutely on the actions of former president Donald Trump and his associates. Debate has raged on Twitter, television and newspaper editorial pages over whether Trump could be charged with a crime, and, if not, what that might mean for future transfers of power.

Biden White House concludes Jan. 6 preparations hurt by lack of high-level intelligence-sharing

The attorney general did not name the former president or those close to him, and many of his statements were common-sense assurances that could be said of any investigation. Still, they seemed designed to address complaints that the department was not taking a broad enough view of possible crimes connected to Jan. 6, or looking at sufficiently high-profile targets, including Trump.

“We build investigations by laying a foundation. We resolve more straightforward cases first because they provide the evidentiary foundation for more complex cases,” Garland said, adding later, “There cannot be different rules for the powerful and the powerless.”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jim Gaffigan
@JimGaffigan

Is it just me or does it seem like the strategy of kindly asking the people who helped Trump plan the insurrection to just admit everything they did to the
@January6thCmte is not working for some reason?

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

This is not sane. So, a politician can commit murder and insurrection and not face charges if he has enough politicians to vote not to press charges?

Some of them shouldn't even be allowed to vote or even be there because they were involved in the (bleep) crime.....

A Terrorist Attack on America happened. Republicans know who planned and paid for said terrorist attack. Republicans used their political power to protect Terrorist #1

At any other moment in American history, or under any other administration, those responsible insurrectionists (leaders and participants) would've long been charged and started serving time. But not this time, with a spineless opposition party sharing power and a well-organized media support system.
The GOP and Trump (and Fox) are slowly but surely succeeding in breaking the American justice and democratic systems.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

At any other moment in American history, or under any other administration, those responsible insurrectionists (leaders and participants) would've long been charged and started serving time. But not this time, with a spineless opposition party sharing power and a well-organized media support system.
The GOP and Trump (and Fox) are slowly but surely succeeding in breaking the American justice and democratic systems.

I was just thinking to myself how much more effective all of this would have been for the Democrats
if they had dominated the labeling of "Insurrection" as a "Terrorist Attack"

Granted I disliked much of school and grew up not liking politicians
I have only heard the word "Insurrection" a couple times in my life
and it has no visceral meaning or power to me whatsoever...
Terrorist Attack means a hell of a lot more and that is what this was

Just like the IRS protects the ultra wealthy / DOJ is allowing the Billionaire Terrorists a full year of freedom
from their actions and allowing them to keep pushing their cash into Politics

There is NO Freedom when the people don't own the Government.

Fox Entertainment should never be allowed to have the term "News" associated with it.. EVER!
In a normal society we would protect our human citizens from this (bleep) brainwashing (bleep)...

Republicans called the Terrorist Attack "Stop The Steal" <<at least that has something in it to defend and be offended about...

"An Insurrection was attempted in the US Government" lulls people to sleep... blip on the headlines

"Terrorists attacked The American Capitol today"

Trump the wannabe Dictator wanted us to Fear "His People" <-- Fellow Americans

^^too much coffee

something I found while reading today... strangest and saddest.. the suicides?? what the hell man...
*What is this here...Did the Terrorists spray sicknick with chemicals they brought or?

Quote:
The Washington Post reported on April 19 that District of Columbia Chief Medical Examiner Francisco J. Diaz
found that Sicknick suffered two strokes nearly eight hours after
being sprayed with a chemical irritant during the riot.

Diaz told the Post that Sicknick died of natural causes, but “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

That day, US. Capitol Police released a statement that read: “The USCP accepts the findings
from the District of Columbia’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner that Officer Brian Sicknick died of natural causes.
This does not change the fact Officer Sicknick died in the line of duty, courageously defending Congress and the Capitol.”

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/11/how-many-died-as-a-result-of-capitol-riot/
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Also 57-43 in favor of guilty in any other context would get you thrown out/fired/convicted/prevented from running for office again.

Quote:
At the conclusion of the trial, the Senate voted 57–43 to convict Trump of inciting insurrection, falling 10 votes short of the two-thirds majority required by the Constitution, and Trump was therefore acquitted.

And here's what Republicans said in the moment before they all fully joined the next conspiracy to steal democracy permanently starting in 2022.

Quote:

Remember what Republican leaders said before amnesia set in. I took notes that night:

Mitch McConnell (Jan6): "The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people...They tried to disrupt our democracy, they failed…This failed insurrection.”

Kevin McCarthy (Jan 6): The violence, destruction, and chaos we saw earlier was unacceptable undemocratic and unamerican. It was the saddest day I’ve ever had as serving as a member of this institution…We saw the worst of America this afternoon…”

Kevin McCarthy on Jan 13: “last week’s violent attack on the Capitol was undemocratic, un-American and criminal…those who are responsible for Wednesday’s chaos will be brought to justice…The President bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters.”

VP Pence on Jan 6: “Today was a dark day in the history of the United States capitol…We condemn the violence that took place here in the strongest possible terms…To those who wreaked havoc today, you did not win.”

Rep Steve Scalise on Jan 6: “Once you start taking violent actions against law enforcement you’re not a protestor anymore, you are an anarchist. Whether it’s anarchy or terrorism, they were trying to storm the Capitol and stop our democracy from working.”

Rep Stefanik (R) on Jan 6: “This has been a truly tragic day for America, and we all join together in fully condemning the dangerous violence and destruction…violence in any form is absolutely unacceptable, anti-American, and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Mike Gallagher (R) on Jan 6: “Mr. President. You have got to stop this. You are the only person who can call this off. Call it off. The election is over. Call it off. This is bigger than you. It is bigger than any member of Congress. It is about the United States of America”

“When it comes to accountability the president needs to understand that his actions were the problem not the solution”

Senator Rand Paul on Jan 6: “Chaos, anarchy. The violence today was wrong and un-American”

Rep Chip Roy (R) on Jan 6: “Today the people’s house was attacked, which is an attack on the republic itself…People need to go to jail… and the president should never have spun up certain Americans to believe something that simply cannot be.”

Senator Thune (R) on Jan 6: “I hope that the types of people who stormed the Capitol today got a clear message that they will not stop our democracy from moving forward…We need to get our work done and this kind of thuggery would not keep us from doing the people’s work”
Rep Dan Crenshaw (R) on Jan 7: “On Wednesday the Capitol of the most powerful nation the world has ever known was stormed by an angry mob. Americans surely never thought they’d see such a scene…It was a display not of patriotism but of frenzy and anarchy.“

Senator Ben Sasse (R) on Jan 6: “This building has been desecrated, blood has been spilled in the hallways…what happened today isn’t what America is…There are some who are trying to burn it all down, and we met some of them today.”

Senator Rob Portman (R) on Jan 6: “I condemn the violent and criminal acts that took place at the US Capitol today. These shameful actions to disrupt a session of Congress and vandalize the Capitol building should never happen in our great republic”

Senator Barrasso (R) on Jan 6: “The violence and destruction have no place in our republic.”

Senator Roy Blunt (R) on Jan 6: “The events unfolding at the Capitol are shameful. There is no justification for violence and destruction. It has to stop now. This is not who we are as a nation. Thank you to the Capitol Police who are keeping us safe.”

Senator Blackburn (R) on Jan 6: “These actions at the US Capitol by protestors are truly despicable and unacceptable. While I am safe and sheltering in place, these protests are prohibiting us from doing our constitutional duty. I condemn them in the strongest possible terms.”

Senator Cynthia Lummis (R) on Jan 6: “Call it what it is: An attack on the Capitol is an attack on democracy”

Senator Rick Scott (R) on Jan 6: “No one has a right to commit violence. What happened today at the Capitol is disgraceful and un-American. It is not what our country stands for.”

Rep Cathy Rodgers (R) on Jan 6: “What we have seen today is unlawful and unacceptable…I have decided I will vote to uphold the Electoral College results and I encourage Donald Trump to condemn and put an end to this madness.”

Senator Rubio on Jan 6: “There is nothing patriotic about what is occurring on Capitol Hill. This is 3rd world style anti-American anarchy”

Senator Rick Scott (R) on Jan 6: “No one has a right to commit violence. What happened today at the Capitol is disgraceful and in-American. It is not what this country stands for”

Senator McConnell: “Former President Trump’s actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful, disgraceful dereliction of duty. There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day.”

These are their words from a year ago. Let’s not let them forget. If you know of other notable statements, reply below. END
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject:

January-6th-2021-insurrectionists = traitors
(just like the South during the Civil War)

Both groups of traitors are losers.

Quote:
The Confederate States of America was a collection of 11 states that seceded from the United States in 1860 following the election of President Abraham Lincoln. Led by Jefferson Davis and existing from 1861 to 1865, the Confederacy struggled for legitimacy and was never recognized as a sovereign nation. After suffering a crushing defeat in the Civil War, the Confederate States of America ceased to exist.

history.com
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

CL, this is really something to be aware of. I did not know so many R's actually said something.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:

It's nice that Biden and the Dems had one last day of reminding the country about what an atrocious and dangerous day Jan 6, 2021 was. I wonder what they're all going to do next year? I imagine in a few more it will be a national holiday—you know, a day of celebration marking the day we started to "take the nation back" . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

Ted Cruz actually told the truth the other day, calling Jan 6 a terrorist attack on the Capitol. The MAGA crowd reacted to it negatively and then he went to Tucker Carlson's show to apologize for telling the truth. I watched a clip and it was so bizarre, and yet not surprising. And then he tweeted the clip to further embarrass himself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3212, 3213, 3214 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3213 of 3671
Jump to: