THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3198, 3199, 3200 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
trmiv wrote:
It’s insane to me that after every the Republicans have pulled the past 5 years that we’re even talking about that the democrats have no shot in 2022 and 2024 yet it sure seems to be heading that way. Fickle ass ignorant voters. It’s crazy the Republicans are going to be handed back the country like they are an actual political party. It felt like we had some hope when Biden won but now it just feels like a temporary respite before a complete Republican takeover. This country is so screwed.

Yep.

In addition to the 45% or so of the country that are committed authoritarians, we have far too many people among the rest that just don't care enough or are distracted to understand what we're dealing with.

The Democrats lose the midterms even if they had passed much bigger infrastructure bills. And it's because policy details matter little to people that actually decide elections, the stupid middle. Additionally, gerrymandering will ensure the GOP takes over. They've - the kind of people that gave Biden the victory in Virginia and then decided to vote Republican this year - already decided that it's okay to vote for a Death Cult Party as long as Trump is not on the ballot, but they might even warm up to Trump by 2024 anyway since January 6th has already been forgotten and the media will do their best to make Trump president again, legally or illegally.

We're (bleep).

The fact that the party that doesn't have the WH always seems to win midterm elections also shows us how stupid/ignorant the voting public is, especially swing voters. Their logic is that just because things are not going well, it's the fault of the POTUS and the only solution is to change parties again.

The fact that these people fall for the narcissism of conservatives and overlook how much they enable racism and autocracy, not to mention how much they lie and spread misinformation, is even more damning.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Wilt wrote:
trmiv wrote:
It’s insane to me that after every the Republicans have pulled the past 5 years that we’re even talking about that the democrats have no shot in 2022 and 2024 yet it sure seems to be heading that way. Fickle ass ignorant voters. It’s crazy the Republicans are going to be handed back the country like they are an actual political party. It felt like we had some hope when Biden won but now it just feels like a temporary respite before a complete Republican takeover. This country is so screwed.

Yep.

In addition to the 45% or so of the country that are committed authoritarians, we have far too many people among the rest that just don't care enough or are distracted to understand what we're dealing with.

The Democrats lose the midterms even if they had passed much bigger infrastructure bills. And it's because policy details matter little to people that actually decide elections, the stupid middle. Additionally, gerrymandering will ensure the GOP takes over. They've - the kind of people that gave Biden the victory in Virginia and then decided to vote Republican this year - already decided that it's okay to vote for a Death Cult Party as long as Trump is not on the ballot, but they might even warm up to Trump by 2024 anyway since January 6th has already been forgotten and the media will do their best to make Trump president again, legally or illegally.

We're (bleep).

The fact that the party that doesn't have the WH always seems to win midterm elections also shows us how stupid/ignorant the voting public is, especially swing voters. Their logic is that just because things are not going well, it's the fault of the POTUS and the only solution is to change parties again.

The fact that these people fall for the narcissism of conservatives and overlook how much they enable racism and autocracy, not to mention how much they lie and spread misinformation, is even more damning.

I don’t know where you live but for the sake of argument let’s say you absolutely hate republicans. If a republican ran locally who had policies that worked for you and your family, you wouldn’t vote for them? Even if they were heavily flawed morally and had racist views? Or would you vote for a dem who made it tougher on you and your family but preached unity etc?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Tougher on your family.. lol--- I have never seen a Republican policy that truly promoted family values.. How about not fighting Insulin pricing.. (bleep).. Calling immigrants rapists and thieves while being a rapist and thief.. sigh

Hillary promoted Federal Funding for Coal workers and others who would be losing their jobs in the near future... Trump used them and lied to them

^^as for your Republican having policies that worked for "me" .. I wouldn't trust him/her or give them power.

Look at our own Sinema.. disgusting woman.. what is her problem.. Did she fake all the past beliefs so she could (bleep) us over in the future or do they have blackmail on her?

Who do you associate with Q-anon.. Democrats? lol NOPE
Republicans are terrorists even at the local level.. sry.
History of Republicans is to blowup the federal budget and steal billions and then blame the democrats..
They try to drag humanity downward and backwards.. hate science.. talk (bleep) about educated people.. ROLLCOAL.. (bleep) them
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Thought this defendant purposely cross stateline with a firearm to confront BLM? I guess the same argument of self defense by Zimmerman (who also purposely stalk a person), I think both guys are gulity but I don't know the detail of the charges/legal stuff

I'm just gonna hop in here because I don't know how long you'll stick around.

I have a question and it could easily apply to AH as well.

Do you ever see a case where an armed conservative shoots an unarmed person (who probably doesn't vote Republican) and think, "I would love to hop into the Off Topic thread and talk about how wrong this (bleep) is with fellow

It seems like a condescending or loaded question. But I'm just wondering why it's more attractive to you to talk about times where conservatives can get away with murder vs. times when they can't. It seems like you guys have a fetish for something more specific than conservatives murdering people.

It's a fetish for conservatives being sanctioned to murder people. Just my 2¢. Feel free to ignore me.

The people who say that Ashli Babbit shouldn't have been killed for rioting are the same people that say Kyle Rittenhouse should be allowed to kill rioters . . . and also claim it has nothing to do with politics.

I guess I can do more to communicate with the adkindo and Anus Hunter's of the world and just start our conversation from this quote tree whenever they come back to this thread months from now when a conservative gets sanctioned to murder people.

And it shouldn't bother them. They just care about the law in X random red state. It's not like they are gloating and taking pleasure (probably sexual) in arguing that it's legal (and implicitly right) to murder black, brown or non-conservative voters of any color (including white) in a given Red state.

I'd actually respect it more if they just came in, did a troll post, and said "naa nanaa na boo boo, we get away with shooting you!" And left.

As opposed to the BS games.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

We can keep this here to juxtaposition with Rittenhouse and The US Capitol Terrorist Attackers

3 and a half years for online posts....
FLORIDA!
https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/

Quote:
On Tuesday, a Florida judge sentenced Daniel Baker, an anti-fascist activist, to 44 months in federal prison for social media posts that called for armed defense against possible far-right attacks on the state’s Capitol in the wake of the January 6 riots. Baker, a 34-year-old yoga teacher and emergency medical technician trainee, had no previous criminal convictions and has already been held for 10 months of harsh pretrial detention, including seven months in solitary confinement. He never brought a weapon near a government building; he amassed no armed anti-fascist forces; he made no threats on a single individual.

Why do they call his calls for Defending our country against armed racists.. calls for violence?
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/fbi/2021/10/12/daniel-baker-sentenced-federal-prison-florida-capitol-threat-case/8424086002/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Curious, will the 1-6-21 Terrorist Attackers sentences be like drugs etc

Users get a lesser sentence than the dealers and kingpins?
So since the attack did happen how much time should the planners and financiers of the terrorist attacks get in relation to those they paid or assisted to do the attacks?
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Thought this defendant purposely cross stateline with a firearm to confront BLM? I guess the same argument of self defense by Zimmerman (who also purposely stalk a person), I think both guys are gulity but I don't know the detail of the charges/legal stuff

Do you ever see a case where an armed conservative shoots an unarmed person (who probably doesn't vote Republican) and think, "I would love to hop into the Off Topic thread and talk about how wrong this (bleep) is with fellow

It seems like a condescending or loaded question. But I'm just wondering why it's more attractive to you to talk about times where conservatives can get away with murder vs. times when they can't. It seems like you guys have a fetish for something more specific than conservatives murdering people.

It's a fetish for conservatives being sanctioned to murder people. Just my 2¢. Feel free to ignore me.

The people who say that Ashli Babbit shouldn't have been killed for rioting are the same people that say Kyle Rittenhouse should be allowed to kill rioters . . . and also claim it has nothing to do with politics.

I guess I can do more to communicate with the adkindo and Anus Hunter's of the world and just start our conversation from this quote tree whenever they come back to this thread months from now when a conservative gets sanctioned to murder people.

And it shouldn't bother them. They just care about the law in X random red state. It's not like they are gloating and taking pleasure (probably sexual) in arguing that it's legal (and implicitly right) to murder black, brown or non-conservative voters of any color (including white) in a given Red state.

I'd actually respect it more if they just came in, did a troll post, and said "naa nanaa na boo boo, we get away with shooting you!" And left.

As opposed to the BS games.

I always thought his defense of the Lastros cheating scandal seemed to come from his posterior, this typo seem apropos.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Wilt wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Yep.

We're (bleep).

I don’t know where you live but for the sake of argument let’s say you absolutely hate republicans. If a republican ran locally who had policies that worked for you and your family, you wouldn’t vote for them? Even if they were heavily flawed morally and had racist views? Or would you vote for a dem who made it tougher on you and your family but preached unity etc?

I live in a super liberal section of the L.A. area, and I'm super liberal/social democratic myself. I'm grateful to be self-employed, so I don't really need that much help when it comes to the economy. The only policies that would really impact me at all are combating climate change, healthcare (it impacts everyone, and many more than myself right now), abortion, and legalizing weed .

I would never vote for a Republican, but I really doubt Democratic policies would ever make things noticeably harder on myself. I don't make nearly enough money to be impacted by liberal tax hikes on high income earners. Even if I made over, say, $400,000 a year, I would never vote for a Republican no matter how much they would lower my taxes.

But my post had to do with the overall ignorance of voters, especially voters in certain demo groups. That ignorance makes them so easily swayed by conservative policies, especially since my side sucks at messaging compared to conservatives.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

That's a poor theoretical, because a heavily, morally flawed and racist republican is not going to be presenting policies that work for someone who is diametrically opposed to republicans because that politician's ideals and platform would never formulate a policy

Furthermore, republicans willingly vote for politicians who policies actively work against them, but do so anyway because of that cult of personality. There are very few republicans who benefit from republican policy who continue to benefit from republican policy—and they are the 1%, or equally morally flawed and racist.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

RepubliKKKans are this country's greatest threat, moreso than China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, or any other foreign adversary.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

He did not cross state lines with a firearm. That may not change your thoughts, just pointing out that has be consistently falsely reported.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Do you ever see a case where an armed conservative shoots an unarmed person (who probably doesn't vote Republican) and think, "I would love to hop into the Off Topic thread and talk about how wrong this (bleep) is with fellow people who feel the same way".

not sure if this is directed at me....the quote you responded to was not something I posted.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Rittenhouse had no business in Kenosha. What kind of parent would allow their child to go to a city under duress with a rifle? What kind of parents are defending him?

I 100% agree with you....but him and his parents are not on trial for their morals or character. I think anyone that has viewed interviews with his mother, it is clear she is not winning any Einstein awards anytime soon.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

He was illegally carrying a weapon and thus committing a crime. He was using that illegally carried weapon to threaten people. The claim of self-defense goes out the window. Particularly in the case of Huber. Once Rittenhouse murdered Rosenbaum, he was an attacker, so he can't claim self defense against people trying to stop him. I saw a very good, legally fact based breakdown of that concept that I will try to track down and share.

That said, I think he will be acquitted. But not because he didn't commit the crimes they charged him with—the videos make it clear he did. He will be acquitted because this was a sham of a trial lead by a judge who made no secret of his intent to shape a not guilty verdict.

The court ruled he was not illegally carrying a firearm. I saw no "evidence" presented in the trial that he was threatening anyone. I know the prosecutor tried to insinuate this may have happened, but I did not see the evidence to support the suggestion. The "active shooter" argument was laughable and a desperate prayer from the prosecution.....which is why they never made that case until their closing argument. Huber was not trying to "stop him".....he violently attacked an individual with a skateboard that was not posing a threat to him and anyone around him.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

He was illegally carrying a weapon and thus committing a crime. He was using that illegally carried weapon to threaten people. The claim of self-defense goes out the window. Particularly in the case of Huber. Once Rittenhouse murdered Rosenbaum, he was an attacker, so he can't claim self defense against people trying to stop him. I saw a very good, legally fact based breakdown of that concept that I will try to track down and share.

That said, I think he will be acquitted. But not because he didn't commit the crimes they charged him with—the videos make it clear he did. He will be acquitted because this was a sham of a trial lead by a judge who made no secret of his intent to shape a not guilty verdict.

The court ruled he was not illegally carrying a firearm. I saw no "evidence" presented in the trial that he was threatening anyone. I know the prosecutor tried to insinuate this may have happened, but I did not see the evidence to support the suggestion. The "active shooter" argument was laughable and a desperate prayer from the prosecution.....which is why they never made that case until their closing argument. Huber was not trying to "stop him".....he violently attacked an individual with a skateboard that was not posing a threat to him and anyone around him.

A child carrying a semi-automatic compact machine gun IS THREATENING all in it's own

He didn't have a badge or id
He didn't stay at his location. He went looking for trouble.

Makes me think of all the child soldiers in third world countries..

I guess it would be fair game to just go walk around at Trump rallies with a machine gun being very intimidating and the first one I can get to punch or attack me I get to murder.. correct?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Anyone have thoughts on why some politicians continue to run for offices that they clearly will not win? Some examples....

Beto - Texas Governor '22
Chris Christie - Republican Presidential Candidate / US President '24
Charlie Christ - Florida Governor '22

There are many more....and it happens every cycle....but candidates that have been rejected by the voters, and their brand has only diminished since their last run. It just seems like terrible politics by the parties because often times these guys have the name recognition to hinder lesser known candidates from making their case early on and they cannot gain any footing in the races only to be forced to drop out.....because of a candidate that basically can't win. Virginia would seem like a perfect example for why it is better to bring in new blood that at least has a chance to gain enough support to actually win in a general election. I know it is a ramble.....but it is like Bob Dole in '96.....what was the purpose?

While I am complaining about dumb politics, I saw that Vermont Dems are all getting behind Congressman Peter Welch to replace Senator Leahy. How does it make sense to put a 74 year old in that Senate seat when they could basically anoint a Vermont Democrat in their 50's to that seat and keep it safe for 2-3 decades? Now they are going to risk Vermont maybe not being as liberal in a decade when Welch ages out, and giving the other party a chance to take the seat.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That's a poor theoretical, because a heavily, morally flawed and racist republican is not going to be presenting policies that work for someone who is diametrically opposed to republicans because that politician's ideals and platform would never formulate a policy

Furthermore, republicans willingly vote for politicians who policies actively work against them, but do so anyway because of that cult of personality. There are very few republicans who benefit from republican policy who continue to benefit from republican policy—and they are the 1%, or equally morally flawed and racist.
I get it, its more about politics being local vs national. Its a horrible crop of republicans we all get that. However, when we look at it nationally you see the likes of Gosar, Bobert, green etc. Unfortunately, there are no good examples but if you are in a reddish-purple state, those people don't affect you on the daily.

My question in simpler terms is if a dem and rep were running. The rep was morally toxic but his policies were more favorable to you, who do you vote for?

Outside of President I don't really vote on party. Last election being the acception. I am more blue than not but that doesn't automatically get my vote.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

This is laughable beyond belief in it's intellectually dishonesty. Rittenhouse was an armed individual fleeing the scene of a killing—even if we agree that "active shooter" is an exaggeration. As such, Rittenhouse is a reasonable threat to those around him and those people are entirely entitled to try and stop the possibility of further shootings, even through force of their one.

One can't reasonably argue that Rittenhouse acted justifiably in using lethal force against an unarmed person as an act of self defense, and then argue that the other people around Rittenhouse are not allowed to use defensive actions against someone who has clearly demonstrated themselves to a deadly threat to others.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

He may not be removed from the case, he should be removed from the bench. A retrial will be close to impossible.

Rittenhouse judge back in spotlight during jury instructions

LINK

Judge could rule on Kyle Rittenhouse mistrial at any time. Is that normal?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
He may not be removed from the case, he should be removed from the bench. A retrial will be close to impossible.

LINK

LINK

did you think it was going to go any other way? Impossible at this point to find an unbias jury. Maybe parents of victims could civil?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

LINK

did you think it was going to go any other way? Impossible at this point to find an unbias jury. Maybe parents of victims could civil?

From the outset, I sensed an acquittal.

If or when Rittenhouse walks I think there will be protests. I hope they're peaceful. A great thing to do would be to start a movement to remove Judge Bruce Schroeder from the bench.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Saule Omarova, Biden’s currency comptroller nominee seems to make Republicons angry. If she doesn't get the votes needed, why cant biden do what Trump did? make her "acting" . I don't know anything about her or what she would do but if it angers GOP its probably good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Dr. Saule Omarova, Biden’s currency comptroller nominee seems to make Republicons angry. If she doesn't get the votes needed, why cant biden do what Trump did? make her "acting" . I don't know anything about her or what she would do but if it angers GOP its probably good.

My guess is they don't like her because she's Asian. LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

My guess is they don't like her because she's Asian.

probably but they also seem to call her a communist.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

My guess is they don't like her because she's Asian.

probably but they also seem to call her a communist.

Repukelican par for the course.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3198, 3199, 3200 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3199 of 3671
Jump to: