THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3128, 3129, 3130 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Biden thinks gop will come around on voter suppression. They won’t. He’s living ina fantasy world. Bounce the filibuster now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Biden thinks gop will come around on voter suppression. They won’t. He’s living ina fantasy world. Bounce the filibuster now

Right now he's trying to get a bi-partisan infrastructure bill done with 10 Republicans (to break the filibuster). If he publicly comes out now and says, "Get rid of the filibuster!" it will blow up his current deal. Once that deal gets done, he'll have more leeway to say things in public he is already implying to voting rights activists behind the scenes.

It may or may not work out, but I'm trying to fill in some of the blanks for you. He is not that naive -- he just has to put on that bi-partisan rah-rah hat from time to time. That's why he got elected.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Right now he's trying to get a bi-partisan infrastructure bill done with 10 Republicans (to break the filibuster). If he publicly comes out now and says, "Get rid of the filibuster!" it will blow up his current deal. Once that deal gets done, he'll have more leeway to say things in public he is already implying to voting rights activists behind the scenes.

It may or may not work out, but I'm trying to fill in some of the blanks for you. He is not that naive -- he just has to put on that bi-partisan rah-rah hat from time to time. That's why he got elected.

Great analysis. I agree.

It's pretty frustrating when you think big picture about the trends in our country's politics. But if you are fighting the good fight on the front lines like pretty much every Dem besides Manchin and Sinema. You have to compartmentalize and just climb the hill that's directly in front of you.
Worry about the next hill, when you get there. Otherwise, it's easy to feel defeated and paralyzed.

Gotta make hay while the sun shines.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Totally agree with this:

Quote:
Brett Meiselas @BMeiselas

Mandates, whether from the government, insurance companies, or employers, are the only way to get the unvaccinated vaccinated. These people don’t need to be “understood.” They need to be treated like the bratty children they are.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Totally agree with this:

Quote:

Mandates, whether from the government, insurance companies, or employers, are the only way to get the unvaccinated vaccinated. These people don’t need to be “understood.” They need to be treated like the bratty children they are.

Yep.
Within 48 hours of Macron's announcement, more than 2.2 million vaccination appointments were booked online
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Totally agree with this:

Quote:

My wife is experiencing this first hand in a very stressful way. I feel OK talking about this because it is already in the news. She is a key producer on the series that is currently in production with Sean Penn and Julia Roberts. For those who may not have seen the news, Penn has issued the ultimatum that he won't return to set until the studio and network establish the mandate that all cast and crew be vaccinated. He's absolutely right to use his position as first on the call street as leverage to force action.

The truly disappointing thing has been discovering how many of the people on my wife's crew who she has has formed friendships with and has hired on multiple projects over the years are all in on NOT getting vaccinated, including people who's entire role is to know better and protect the health of the cast and crew. It's truly disheartening to see people who are so interdependent on working together under circumstances that are already demanding and requiring of unity being so disrespectful of their fellow colleagues. There is no other way to describe that behavior other than bratty, selfish children.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject:

love biden but:

Biden: "Those of you who travel abroad, it’s not a joke. Not a joke. Ask — you know, when I went to this G7, all the major democracies. I walked in and go, 'America’s back.' I’m serious, heads of state. I give you my word as a Biden. They said, ‘Are you really back?’"

Bide: Congress must protect our rights, "The most important one is the right to vote. That’s the single most important one. And your vote counted and counted by someone who honestly counts it."

Trump was far worse but this is ridiculous. I know he was elected to get rid of trump but we need someone like Pete, klobasauer to lead us into the next phase of putting democracy back.

Plus he still insists that GOP will come around on voting rights. they wont. They are getting further away. he is stuck in another era. GOP= a lot of racists.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
love biden but:

Biden: "Those of you who travel abroad, it’s not a joke. Not a joke. Ask — you know, when I went to this G7, all the major democracies. I walked in and go, 'America’s back.' I’m serious, heads of state. I give you my word as a Biden. They said, ‘Are you really back?’"

Bide: Congress must protect our rights, "The most important one is the right to vote. That’s the single most important one. And your vote counted and counted by someone who honestly counts it."

Trump was far worse but this is ridiculous. I know he was elected to get rid of trump but we need someone like Pete, klobasauer to lead us into the next phase of putting democracy back.

Plus he still insists that GOP will come around on voting rights. they wont. They are getting further away. he is stuck in another era. GOP= a lot of racists.

You are really nitpicking. When you transcribe the way people talk it's not going to read like a teleprompter speech. Obama would often get off into two or three tangents when speaking while explaining subpoints in detail. He would eventually wind back around to his narrative. I can understand what Biden meant even with the sentence structure breaks.

But honestly, both styles of speaking annoy me personally. That doesn't mean Joe Biden's speech patterns are in any way, shape or form comparable to someone like Trump. Trump was an ill-informed, ill-prepared, barely literate ignoramus who spoke in simplistic sound bytes alternating with word salad that made no sense.

Constantly nitpicking will get you nowhere. He's backslapping Uncle Joe who is smart but talks like a regular Joe. That's what "regular" people like about him.

I personally can't listen to him because his style grates on me. But what's more important is that he is passing massive, expensive progressive policy and programs that will have positive impact for decades (if we don't turn into an authoritarian state first). And no he doesn't believe Republicans will come around on voting rights -- he just has to SAY that in public to maintain his air of bi-partisan spirit (which is another reason people voted for him).

Bill Clinton was the last Democratic president who could communicate effectively in a clear, direct yet emotional way. Of course Obama was great in giving speeches, but that's a slightly different talent.

The only people on the Democratic side now who have that extra ability are Pete and AOC (and no, I'm not suggesting she run, but she does have the skills). I like Klobuchar but she would be better as Senate Majority Leader over Schumer. She doesn't have that extra little something, that "it" factor that presidential candidates usually need. Kamala Harris has the "it" factor and sometimes she communicates directly and sometimes she hems and haws like Obama used to (I think it's attorney-brain, they overthink things).

I suspect Biden will have to run again to give us a chance of winning again vs Trump 2.0. It won't be pretty but I think we need to get used to that reality.

(And as a side note, it turns out Bernie's best use is as Leader of the Senate budget committee and I hope he doesn't try to run again.)

(Second side note, Bill Clinton no longer has this speaking ability. I saw Bill & Hillary onstage together in person at an event last year, and at this stage of life she is BY FAR the better communicator of the two. It's too bad that 30 years of right-wing smears and misogyny deprived us of that brilliant woman as president.)
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Halflife wrote:
love biden but:

You are really nitpicking. When you transcribe the way people talk it's not going to read like a teleprompter speech. Obama would often get off into two or three tangents when speaking while explaining subpoints in detail. He would eventually wind back around to his narrative. I can understand what Biden meant even with the sentence structure breaks.

But honestly, both styles of speaking annoy me personally. That doesn't mean Joe Biden's speech patterns are in any way, shape or form comparable to someone like Trump. Trump was an ill-informed, ill-prepared, barely literate ignoramus who spoke in simplistic sound bytes alternating with word salad that made no sense.

Constantly nitpicking will get you nowhere. He's backslapping Uncle Joe who is smart but talks like a regular Joe. That's what "regular" people like about him.

I personally can't listen to him because his style grates on me. But what's more important is that he is passing massive, expensive progressive policy and programs that will have positive impact for decades (if we don't turn into an authoritarian state first). And no he doesn't believe Republicans will come around on voting rights -- he just has to SAY that in public to maintain his air of bi-partisan spirit (which is another reason people voted for him).

Bill Clinton was the last Democratic president who could communicate effectively in a clear, direct yet emotional way.

The only people on the Democratic side now who have that extra ability are Pete and AOC (and no, I'm not suggesting she run, but she does have the skills). I like Klobuchar but she would be better as Senate Majority Leader over Schumer. She doesn't have that extra little something, that "it" factor that presidential candidates usually need. Kamala Harris has the "it" factor and sometimes she communicates directly and sometimes she hems and haws like Obama used to (I think it's attorney-brain, they overthink things).

I suspect Biden will have to run again to give us a chance of winning again vs Trump 2.0. It won't be pretty but I think we need to get used to that reality.

(And as a side note, it turns out Bernie's best use is as Leader of the Senate budget committee and I hope he doesn't try to run again.)

(Second side note, Bill Clinton no longer has this speaking ability. I saw Bill & Hillary onstage together in person at an event last year, and at this stage of life she is BY FAR the better communicator of the two. It's too bad that 30 years of right-wing smears and misogyny deprived us of that brilliant woman as president.)

First off he was needed and the only dem who could beat trump, for that alone its great. however he is old. He is stuck in a different time and his communication skills are brutal.

In regards to needing him I dont think so if we had voting rights. However his inability to make that his priority is dangerous. I get infrastructure bill is huge but nothing matters if people cant vote.

I cant find the quote but last week he said he wants voting rights to be bipartisan and believes it can be. That is senility speaking. You know this as does everyone else. However that is the difference between GOP and Dems. They laser in on hurting us in a partisan way without giving bipartisanship a second glance. Dems worry about looking partisan at least Biden and kowtow to GOP every last whim usually ending with nothing getting done or at least enough to call it a win.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

saying voting rights shoud be bipartisan sounds more like politics, we don't know what Biden is doing about it behind close door
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
saying voting rights shoud be bipartisan sounds more like politics, we don't know what Biden is doing about it behind close door

could they get rid of fillibuster? Isnt this the one thing, if anything worth pushing through?

bipartisanship is dead on anything that means anything. Mitch has said and acted as such.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

could they get rid of fillibuster? Isnt this the one thing, if anything worth pushing through?

bipartisanship is dead on anything that means anything. Mitch has said and acted as such.

What they are trying to do is put pressure on Manchin and Sinema behind the scenes to do a "carve out" of the filibuster specifically for voting rights. They would make voting rights an exception to the filibuster rule (just like judges and SCOTUS judges are an exception and only need 50 votes). So they wouldn't be getting rid of the filibuster completely (because both Manchin and Sinema said they would never go along with that).

In order to turn up the pressure on Manchin and Sinema, there is currently a nationwide grass roots activist campaign that is marching, demonstrating, getting arrested, picketing Senate offices, calling Senate offices etc. The Civil Rights leaders carrying out this summer of action met with Biden and senior Democratic congressional members in private to come up with this pressure plan on the filibuster holdouts.

Part of the pressure plan on Manchin and Sinema is giving them the figleaf appearance of bipartisanship. That's their supposed holy grail. So every time Joe says "BIPARTISANSHIP" he's sending a message to Manchin and Sinema -- see I'll let you have your cover of bipartisanship, but if you want the national heat on you about voting rights to be lifted, then you'll compromise and let us do a special carve out on voting rights.

You think they are playing checkers, but they are playing 3-D chess.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

Sleepy Joe lulls others to sleep, so he can pass them by . . . as he gets things done.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

steve schmitd:( I have cut some things out but this is the jist.)

Donald Trump will be the GOP nominee in 2024. The 2022 and 2024 elections will decide if democracy survives in this country. It is as simple as that. Donald Trump repeatedly asked advisors to cancel the 2020 election because of Covid.

Joe Biden is a good man and doing a great job as @potus Donald Trump and his fascist movement have had a very good 7 months. They aren’t

former anythings. They are a CLEAR and PRESENT DANGER. The Pro-Democracy coalition is sleep walking into the ‘22 election and the stakes couldn’t be higher.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Bill Kristol who understands the Republican/authoritarian mindset:

Quote:
Bill Kristol @BillKristol

Mandating would be more easily accepted, and less resented, than nagging. People will grudgingly accept, and many will secretly be pleased not to have the responsibility of deciding, and not to have the burden of then defending their decision to relatives, Facebook friends, etc

Another argument for why we have to treat them like irresponsible bratty children and not rational adults who can be reasoned with.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Totally agree with this:

Quote:

My wife is experiencing this first hand in a very stressful way. I feel OK talking about this because it is already in the news. She is a key producer on the series that is currently in production with Sean Penn and Julia Roberts. For those who may not have seen the news, Penn has issued the ultimatum that he won't return to set until the studio and network establish the mandate that all cast and crew be vaccinated. He's absolutely right to use his position as first on the call street as leverage to force action.

The truly disappointing thing has been discovering how many of the people on my wife's crew who she has has formed friendships with and has hired on multiple projects over the years are all in on NOT getting vaccinated, including people who's entire role is to know better and protect the health of the cast and crew. It's truly disheartening to see people who are so interdependent on working together under circumstances that are already demanding and requiring of unity being so disrespectful of their fellow colleagues. There is no other way to describe that behavior other than bratty, selfish children.

I read an article about that. Kudos to Penn. I hope others follow his lead. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Govt and how it’s run as we knew it are over. Trump changed everything. It will never go back to how it used to be.

The gop know this and have adjusted to the new norm.
Biden is old school and is trying to govern how it used to be.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

I'm really starting to get concerned about Trump running in 2024. He has built up quite a cult following. You think it was bad the first time. If he gets back in it will probably be 10 times worse. He is going to be full of rage. He will have no problem hiring people to fulfill his dictator's desires.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1419029191815798785

Everybody should do this to him every time he leaves his house.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I'm really starting to get concerned about Trump running in 2024. He has built up quite a cult following. You think it was bad the first time. If he gets back in it will probably be 10 times worse. He is going to be full of rage. He will have no problem hiring people to fulfill his dictator's desires.

We know he wouldn’t legally win. but the gop are focused on all branches of govt. they won’t do what pence did. They won’t certify a loss
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ESPN: Rick Dennison out as Minnesota Vikings assistant after refusing COVID-19 vaccine, sources say

Quote:
After refusing to receive a vaccine for COVID-19, Rick Dennison is out as a Minnesota Vikings assistant coach, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Dennison had served as the Vikings' offensive line coach/run game coordinator the past two seasons. In a statement Friday, the Vikings said they were still in discussions with Dennison about the league's COVID-19 protocols.

Another coach in the league, New England Patriots co-offensive line coach Cole Popovich, also won't be with his team in 2021 in a decision related to the COVID-19 vaccine and NFL guidelines, league sources confirmed to ESPN.

The vaccine is required for all Tier 1 staff, including coaches, front-office executives, equipment managers and scouts. Players are not required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine but will face strict protocols during training camp and throughout the season that vaccinated players will be able to forgo.

In a memo released by the league this summer, the NFL said any unvaccinated Tier 1 staff member must provide a valid religious or medical reason for not receiving the vaccine. Losing Tier 1 status prohibits coaches from being on the field and in meeting rooms and having direct interactions with players.

The Vikings noted in their statement that Dennison does not have a vaccination exemption.

#FreeDumb
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Being a selfish dumbass should have consequences. These anti-vax idiots will have to pay a price, or they won't bend to the greater good of society.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

🎵 Pressure...🎵

Quote:
Ari Berman @AriBerman

95% of Arizona Dems approve of Biden & 75% of Mark Kelly but only 42% approve of @SenatorSinema

"66% of Democrats said that if given the chance in a 2024 Senate primary, they would 'vote for a different candidate who would get rid of the filibuster.'"
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Being a selfish dumbass should have consequences. These anti-vax idiots will have to pay a price, or they won't bend to the greater good of society.

Force them to never leave their house
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

This is where the pressure is on us Dems to get the job done from top to bottom. One, Biden and his colleagues in Congress have to pass legislation, not just a voting rights bill, but other things such as infrastructure and legalizing weed to make our party look better to swing voters. Two, more people than usual will have to turn out for the 2022 election, since midterm elections seem to have a lower turnout.

If we lose either house of Congress in 2022, that may be enough for us to become a functional autocracy, even if Trump doesn't run in 2024. The GOP is human evolution in reverse, and there's no telling how much worse or fascist they could become in the coming years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3128, 3129, 3130 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3129 of 3663
Jump to: