College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject:

I had a feeling Noah Ruggles would miss the game winning field goal but I didn't think he'd shank it that badly. Icing the kicker worked this time.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

USC with one of the biggest choke jobs I have ever seen, and I'm not kidding. Man, you can never underestimate the ability of football coaches to screw it up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

USC gotta work on their defense next year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject:

USC LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Gotta love it!!! $Choke
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject:

They ran not one but TWO RPO's in the shadow of their own goal line. Brilliant!

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject:

What a debacle by USC.

Clearly not deserving of a CFP spot after watching the last two games.

They had to be 95% or better to win that game with 3 minutes left.

They need to entirely restock the defense this off-season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

USC got literally every decision wrong towards the end in a game they were in complete control of.

On 3rd and 9 already in field goal range and up 12 with under 4 minutes left, they took an immediate checkdown throw, no doubt a call from Riley, ostensibly just to make it an easier FG attempt. You have the best QB in the business, uh, try to actually get the first down, keep the drive alive, and put the game away.

So up 15 with little time remaining, if your play was to go the conservative route and take the FG to go up 15, OK, now you have to continue that logic and play prevent defense, so that if they do get a TD drive, it takes up quite a bit of the clock. Nope, 2-play TD drive LOL.

On the ensuing kickoff, the ball was either going out of bounds or it would've gone through the end zone. Why is he attempting to catch it? That ball isn't going to land and literally spin back and towards the field of play like a golf shot. He literally did the only thing you couldn't do there, and leaves his team on the 1.

OK, fine, you're still up 8. You still can't lose the game...unless you take a safety. They could have literally just run 3 QB sneaks and punted and you can't lose. If you're going to run the ball, it has to be a quick-hitting running play so you don't give them a chance to gain penetration at all. I wouldn't have ran it at all, I mean, I have the best QB in the country and I'm going to let him pick apart the defense, as he had all game. So Riley runs not one, but two RPO's in a row! How is this even possible? How can you be so obviously good at scheming offense as a whole, but not know basic strategy? You don't run a draw or a running play where there's a delay in the shadow of your own goal line! He saw the first one almost result in a safety and he called it again! I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything so dumb from a playcaller.

Then, just to put the cherry on top, they let Tulane score while bleeding almost the entire clock. That's the time to give up a quick TD drive if you're going to allow a TD, so that Williams has enough time to answer back.

Literally everything that they could have done wrong, they did.

It's genuinely one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen in sports. Sure, it wasn't in the CFP and it wasn't the Super Bowl. (Which is why Seattle's INT against New England at the goal line remains the biggest choke job in sports history, as far as I'm concerned.) But it's nonetheless one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
USC got literally every decision wrong towards the end in a game they were in complete control of.

On 3rd and 9 already in field goal range and up 12 with under 4 minutes left, they took an immediate checkdown throw, no doubt a call from Riley, ostensibly just to make it an easier FG attempt. You have the best QB in the business, uh, try to actually get the first down, keep the drive alive, and put the game away.

So up 15 with little time remaining, if your play was to go the conservative route and take the FG to go up 15, OK, now you have to continue that logic and play prevent defense, so that if they do get a TD drive, it takes up quite a bit of the clock. Nope, 2-play TD drive LOL.

On the ensuing kickoff, the ball was either going out of bounds or it would've gone through the end zone. Why is he attempting to catch it? That ball isn't going to land and literally spin back and towards the field of play like a golf shot. He literally did the only thing you couldn't do there, and leaves his team on the 1.

OK, fine, you're still up 8. You still can't lose the game...unless you take a safety. They could have literally just run 3 QB sneaks and punted and you can't lose. If you're going to run the ball, it has to be a quick-hitting running play so you don't give them a chance to gain penetration at all. I wouldn't have ran it at all, I mean, I have the best QB in the country and I'm going to let him pick apart the defense, as he had all game. So Riley runs not one, but two RPO's in a row! How is this even possible? How can you be so obviously good at scheming offense as a whole, but not know basic strategy? You don't run a draw or a running play where there's a delay in the shadow of your own goal line!

Then, just to put the cherry on top, they let Tulane score while bleeding almost the entire clock. That's the time to give up a quick TD drive if you're going to allow a TD, so that Williams has enough time to answer back.

Literally everything that they could have done wrong, they did.

It's genuinely one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen in sports. Sure, it wasn't in the CFP and it wasn't the Super Bowl. (Which is why Seattle's INT against New England at the goal line remains the biggest choke job in sports history, as far as I'm concerned.) But it's nonetheless one of the biggest chokes I've ever seen.

I think it is way worse of a choke than Seattle in the Super Bowl even if the stakes were a lot smaller.

Reason being is it was a series of bad decisions/bad plays as you broke down in your post above where the Seattle play was just a bad play call and bad execution.

For USC to lose against a team they should destroy after leading for 59 minutes and 51 seconds is just ridiculous. No wonder Caleb Williams was praying on 4th and 10 as his defense is atrocious and I am sure he knows it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Gotta love it!!! $Choke

Not the players, the coach. He played not to lose.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

USC needed to all-out blitz on every down during that last drive and just let Tulane score or throw dumb interception. If you know your defense cannot get a stop, your game plan should not be to rely on your defense getting a stop.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Per ESPN:

The Green Wave scored 16 points in the final 4:07, the game-winning touchdown coming after they got the ball back following a safety.

Over the last five seasons, teams were 1-1692 when trailing by 15 or more points with 5 minutes or fewer in the fourth quarter, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The lone win came in 2020 with Texas coming back against Texas Tech.

From Lanny: So this was the percentage chance of losing this game by USC with 5 minutes to go:

0.00059101654% (1 divided by 1,692) Egads...

MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Gotta love it!!! $Choke

Not the players, the coach. He played not to lose.

Bitter UCLA fan here so you already know how we feel after this and both Utah giveaways.

U$C sold their souls to bring in Lame Kidding 2.0 so you reep what you sow. This Big 12 shootout style barely flies on the PAC 12 and definitely won't against the like of OSU, Much and Penn St when they join the Big 10.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Sad to see Cam Rising not get to finish the Rose Bowl.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

The usc hate is thick. At least give the coach 2 years
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Yep, they need to redo their Defense and Special Teams.

Offense is fine, but without the other two stepping up, they are NOT a Top Four Team...!
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject:

So let me give you the break down on Lincoln Riley.

I'm an Oklahoma fan, so I have a pretty good perspective on him and his philosophies.

First off, LR is a great offensive coordinator. Brilliant.
But his problem is, he wants to be the OC, QB coach, and the HC.
One can not do all 2 of these well, never the less all 3.
Because of this he does not see the big picture of the team in practice and during the game.

He is great at getting the skill position players that fit his scheme on the offensive side of the ball. He can sell them on putting up stats.

He does not focus on D at all. He brought in Grinch to OU and yes the first year was an improvement for OU on D, but slowly got worse and worse as Grinch brought in his type of guys.

Grinch wants to run his Speed D philosophy. He wants under sized guys that are fast. These guys get ran over with Big 10 and SEC teams. (good luck with that)

The team will be fast and aggressive, but they will over run their spots and and not contain and control the line of scrimmage. Guys are too focused on sacks, and not containing the QB and the running game.

Lastly the worse thing LR did at OU is he fired one of if not the best strength coach in the game. ( Who OU just got back from A&M) And brought in this Wiley guy will have the kids doing splits and weird ass crossfit stuff.

Not building strength and endurance OR WILL POWER!
OU has always had one of the top offensive lines for years. They have put more guys in the NFL than anyone else. But OU offensive line was getting weaker and softer. They were getting man handled.

You will see USC slowly getting weaker with this Wiley guy.

LR will always put up points. But he can not close out games, nor can he get momentum back once he loses it.

---George Carlin
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yep, they need to redo their Defense and Special Teams.

Offense is fine, but without the other two stepping up, they are NOT a Top Four Team...!

They were a top 10 team, vastly improved over last years team but have a weak defense. You could see this in their shoot out with UCLA, sure they won, but beating the best Pac-12 teams in this day and age rarely prepares you to beat the Georgia, Clemson or Alabama of the college football world.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I had a feeling Noah Ruggles would miss the game winning field goal but I didn't think he'd shank it that badly. Icing the kicker worked this time.

Rumor is the holder f'd something up. I didn't think he was going to make it because he is not a good long range kicker. He's great from 45 yards and in. They needed another 7-9 yards to get in better range.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I took TCU +13.5. Let’s go!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Could very soon be a blowout in favor of Georgia.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I already turned it off in favor of Workaholics reruns.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Sad, I thought TCU belonged. Looks like they will be down by 4 scores by halftime.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Blowout in favor of Georgia, 31-7 just before the half.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject:

A interception before the half and Georgia scores again. Yeah, this game is pretty much over unless TCU has a comeback for the ages. 38-7.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 56 of 77
Jump to: