Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Kalen Deboer is the next Bama coach.

Great choice if you ask me.

Guy is a winner, they must have thrown a boatload of money at him to go from the Pacific Northwest to Tuscaloosa.

This totally screws WA as they start their new tenure in the B10.

Beginning of the week: Huskies in the national championship game
End of the week: Huskies lose the championship game, the coach leaves for Bama and potential recruits follow him out the door.

Yep. Tough week for Dawg fanatics going into a whole new world.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Rumors swirling that Caleb would rather return to UsC than play for Chicago. He wants confirmation they are trading down.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rumors swirling that Caleb would rather return to UsC than play for Chicago. He wants confirmation they are trading down.

This probably explains why the USC QB depth is rather thin for 2024.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Kalen Deboer's reception upon landing in Alabama....
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/alabama-fans-give-new-coach-kalen-deboer-rock-star-greeting-at-tuscaloosa-airport-041105408.html

He better lose no more than a game a season or those guys are gonna turn against him in a hurry....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I would rather that he returns to USC than play for the Bears. As a Bears fan.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Same but you're a Bears fan??
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I have been since the 1960’s.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
strong9 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I have been since the 1960’s.

Then you have been in pain longer than I. I only started in the early 80s so my misery is post Ditka. You have the pre-Ditka era too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly leaves to become Ohio State OC. Seems like a wierd move as I'm sure he's taking far less money for a lower position on the totem pole.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
UCLA football coach Chip Kelly leaves to become Ohio State OC. Seems like a wierd move as I'm sure he's taking far less money for a lower position on the totem pole.

I think a lot of college head coaches have to manage so many things right now that many are looking for a way out. You saw the Boston College head coach take the job as the Packers DC, for example. Chip Kelly was interviewing for open OC jobs at the NFL level. He's 60, he's rich, and I guess at the end of the process, he decided he'd be happier just being an OC for a CFP contender than having to juggle everything it's taking to be a college head coach right now. And I'm sure he will be one of the highest-paid assistants in college football.

It leaves UCLA in the lurch, though. The AD, Martin Jarmond, probably should have fired him after the season if he knew Kelly was going to flirt with the NFL and/or didn't really want to be the coach this badly, but they saved $8.5MM from not having to buy out the rest of his contract. In fact, I think Ohio State is paying UCLA $1.5MM for this. However, the program is now screwed because while Kelly was probably distracted this offseason, the recruiting class he brought in was considered to be pretty poor. And now, of course, due to the new rules, every UCLA player is now available to transfer because the head coach left. So you're going to have a lot of their best players probably leaving for other teams. UCLA is going to be one of the worst teams in the Big 10 next year, I'd imagine.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think a lot of college head coaches have to manage so many things right now that many are looking for a way out. You saw the Boston College head coach take the job as the Packers DC, for example. Chip Kelly was interviewing for open OC jobs at the NFL level. He's 60, he's rich, and I guess at the end of the process, he decided he'd be happier just being an OC for a CFP contender than having to juggle everything it's taking to be a college head coach right now. And I'm sure he will be one of the highest-paid assistants in college football.

It leaves UCLA in the lurch, though. The AD, Martin Jarmond, probably should have fired him after the season if he knew Kelly was going to flirt with the NFL and/or didn't really want to be the coach this badly, but they saved $8.5MM from not having to buy out the rest of his contract. In fact, I think Ohio State is paying UCLA $1.5MM for this. However, the program is now screwed because while Kelly was probably distracted this offseason, the recruiting class he brought in was considered to be pretty poor. And now, of course, due to the new rules, every UCLA player is now available to transfer because the head coach left. So you're going to have a lot of their best players probably leaving for other teams. UCLA is going to be one of the worst teams in the Big 10 next year, I'd imagine.

Think they were joking on Roggin and Rodney that UCLA should hire Pete Carroll....
Anyways, its not a surprise a lot of older successful coaches are calling it a day. They don't want to deal with NIL and its probably something the younger coaches are more comfortable dealing with.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Think they were joking on Roggin and Rodney that UCLA should hire Pete Carroll....
Anyways, its not a surprise a lot of older successful coaches are calling it a day. They don't want to deal with NIL and its probably something the younger coaches are more comfortable dealing with.

Totally. Think of all the work it takes to being a head coach. You're leading the whole operation, you're grinding film, you're working long hours. Now in college on top of that, you're contending with recruiting, you're contending with your own players possibly leaving in the transfer portal, you're looking at other players to possibly bring into your program in the transfer portal, you're looking at what to offer guys in NIL...it's just a lot to deal with.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject:

UCLA got the money for joining the Big 10 but they are now going to be the equivalent of Minnesota or Illinois in football.

They are going to get their hands handed to them in the Big 10 for the forseeable future.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
UCLA got the money for joining the Big 10 but they are now going to be the equivalent of Minnesota or Illinois in football.

They are going to get their hands handed to them in the Big 10 for the forseeable future.

The UCLA football program hasn't been relevant nationally since 1998. Think once their fans and boosters come to that realization they will realize what a monumental task any head coach they hire will face. And its even worst now that they are going to the Big Ten and basically on the bottom tier of teams in that conference.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject:

Plaxico Burress and Ike Taylor's sons are reunited at Notre Dame

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39500827/elijah-burress-son-plaxico-commits-notre-dame

Quote:
Elijah Burress, son of Plaxico, commits to Notre Dame

Elijah Burress, the son of former Michigan State and NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress, committed to Notre Dame on Saturday.

The product of DePaul Catholic High School (Wayne, N.J.) adds to a 2025 Fighting Irish class that already has seven ESPN 300 prospects, tied for second most with Ohio State. In ESPN's latest team rankings for the cycle -- released on Dec. 22 -- the class sat third behind Georgia and Alabama.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Burress caught 25 passes for 434 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games as a junior for the Spartans last season.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Ranking college football's top 75 recruiting classes: Georgia winds up on top
4dCraig Haubert

Notre Dame recruited two ESPN 300 wide receivers -- Cam Williams (No. 47 overall) and Micah Gilbert (No. 257 overall) -- for its 2024 class, which ranked 12th in ESPN's rankings.

After playing for Nick Saban at Michigan State from 1996 to '99, the elder Burress was drafted eighth overall in 2000 by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played 12 seasons for the Steelers, New York Giants and the New York Jets, catching 553 passes for 8,499 yards and 64 touchdowns over 148 career games.

Elijah Burress joins four-star cornerback Ivan Taylor (No. 30 overall in 2025) at Notre Dame; Taylor's father, Ike, played for the Steelers and was teammates with Plaxico Burress.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

Deshaun Foster new UCLA head coach.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39512094/ucla-set-name-deshaun-foster-new-coach
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Totally. Think of all the work it takes to being a head coach. You're leading the whole operation, you're grinding film, you're working long hours. Now in college on top of that, you're contending with recruiting, you're contending with your own players possibly leaving in the transfer portal, you're looking at other players to possibly bring into your program in the transfer portal, you're looking at what to offer guys in NIL...it's just a lot to deal with.

NIL and the transfer portal is why Ryan Day is giving up play calling. The OSU OC is perfect for Chip. He doesn't have to recruit very much and can just call plays.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Deshaun Foster new UCLA head coach.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39512094/ucla-set-name-deshaun-foster-new-coach

He is going into a very tough situation but the move seemed to be popular with the players which is a good thing as they will need to not only play hard for him, but also recruit for him going forward.

First Big 10 schedule for UCLA is interesting as it does not include games against either Ohio State or Michigan. So in that way, they lucked out but a .500 record even with this slate would seem to be a best case scenario.

DATE OPPONENT LOCATION

Aug. 31
at Hawai'i Honolulu, HI

Sept. 14
vs. Indiana Rose Bowl

Sept. 21
at LSU Baton Rouge, LA

Sept. 28
vs. Oregon Rose Bowl

Oct. 5
at Penn State University Park, PA

Oct. 12
vs. Minnesota Rose Bowl

Oct. 19
at Rutgers Piscataway, NJ

Nov. 2
at Nebraska Lincoln, NE

Nov. 9
vs. Iowa Rose Bowl

Nov. 16
at Washington Seattle, WA

Nov. 23
vs. USC Rose Bowl

Nov. 30
vs. Fresno State Rose Bowl

Dec. 7
Big Ten Championship Game Indianapolis, IN
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77
Page 77 of 77
Jump to: