Bob Cousy fires back at J.J. Redick

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Bob Cousy fires back at J.J. Redick

Quote:
During a recent appearance on "First Take," recently retired NBA player J.J. Redick went back to that well during a debate on Chris Paul. When Chris "Mad Dog" Russo said that the Phoenix Suns guard was "not Bob Cousy" when it came to the NBA's great point guards, Reddick responded by stating that the Boston Celtics legend "was being guarded by plumbers and firemen" and played in an era where there were "eight teams in the NBA and you had to win two playoff series".

Cousy has finally gotten his opportunity to respond. Speaking on SiriusXM NBA Radio, the 93-year-old Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer issued a scathing takedown of Redick's pejorative argument:

"People with less talent will always try to make a name for themselves by criticizing other people, and hopefully getting some attention and perhaps increasing their credibility. When you respond to something like this, you play into their hands. I won't do that, but I will defend the firemen and the plumbers that he referenced," Cousy said, referencing NBA legends like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, the latter of whom he called the best small forward in NBA history. "I guess he must have fought fires as well."

Cousy went on to name many of his contemporaries -- Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West -- before finishing by turning Redick's argument back on him.

"We must have had the best firemen and plumbers on the planet at the time," he said. "And I was very proud to play with all of them."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bob-cousy-fires-back-at-j-j-redick-for-referring-to-1950s-nba-players-as-plumbers-and-firemen/
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject:

Judging somebody who played 70 years ago, who had diet, equipment, training, and technology of that era to somebody today is not a fair comparison.

If Jesse Owens wasn't running in dirt and had the same amenities as Usain Bolt, their times would be close.

The level of disrespect for those who paved the way is at a all-time in this day and age. It makes me sick and appreciate that most of my life is already over, so I don't have to deal with this crap for too much longer.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject:

I understand both arguments.

JJ Reddick is not wrong, the average player back then would often have a second job, maybe as a plumber or fireman, to support their family. Elgin Baylor was in the military, in 1962 he played for the Lakers and served our country. Not to mention the civil rights movement. I remember a story about Bill Russell's home vandalized, the burglar took a dump on his bed.

Bob Cousy played center in the finals for an injured Bill Russell. Same fairy tale as Magic Johnson playing center in the finals for an injured Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He controlled the tempo, as the point guard, the leader of the early dynasty Celtics. Great in his era.

However, the game has evolved. Players with limitations like only being able to dribble with one hand, despite physical advantages, are exploited. Lamar Odom, for example, only went left, led the league in offensive foul charges. Bob Cousy would get exploited, but he could also develop his right hand with training. Lamar finally developed his right hand in 2011 over a decade after he was drafted in 1999.

I craft my opinions of players of that era from reading articles in the sports illustrated vault, watching films and games, and then looking at their statistics.

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1958.htm

Surprised that Slater Martin shut down Bob Cousy in the finals. We all know Slater Martin from the Minneapolis Lakers. He was a beast even on the Saint Louis Hawks.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I mean...dude dribbled with one (bleep) hand. Good luck with that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Judging somebody who played 70 years ago, who had diet, equipment, training, and technology of that era to somebody today is not a fair comparison.

If Jesse Owens wasn't running in dirt and had the same amenities as Usain Bolt, their times would be close.

The level of disrespect for those who paved the way is at a all-time in this day and age. It makes me sick and appreciate that most of my life is already over, so I don't have to deal with this crap for too much longer.

Thats true for pretty much everything. The level of sport these days is far advanced than anything in the olden days. You can't be of the same build and style as those folks playing the game from decades ago and expect to make the NBA. The league is far too specialized and advanced throughout the decades in training and methods.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject:

Jerry West Responds

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

It will always be true. You watch MJ clips and you just shake your head at both the things he could do and the things a lot of his defenders couldn't. But you can only play the guy in front of you.

Comparing era's - especially those that far apart is futile.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: