News 'n Views - Feb 2016: Lakers believe they can meld new offensive set with Kobe’s presence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

Lakers could have a shot at one of these five players in the NBA draft
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

The draft was ignored by the Lakers year after year, viewed as a necessary distraction between playoff runs and free agency.

They spent six years in a row trading or selling their first-round pick, relying instead on veterans to build and maintain a team that won NBA championships in 2009 and 2010.

Now the draft has become their lifeblood. First, they need a lifeline.

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour>>

Their first-round pick is only top-three protected or else they lose it as part of the Steve Nash trade. They have the NBA's second-worst record, giving them slightly better than 50-50 odds of keeping the pick by not falling below the third spot on lottery night.

As a public service to Lakers fans, here are the top five players in the draft with the NCAA tournament a couple of weeks away.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

Some key dates in recent Lakers history

Key moments in Lakers franchise history since the 2009-10 season in which the team won its 16th NBA title behind the play of Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. The Clippers, meanwhile, missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year.

Continued....
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Byron Scott Says D’Angelo Russell ‘Getting More Comfortable In His Role’
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

Head coach Byron Scott of the Los Angeles Lakers has taken an unexpected approach with his young players this season. Scott has been reluctant to give rookie D’Angelo Russell and second-year forward Julius Randle a starting role on his team until just recently and has received a fair amount of criticism for waiting this long to do so.

After recently reinserting Russell back into the starting lineup, Scott appears to be content with his decision. Although Russell starting has resulted in the team improving as a whole as of yet, the rookie point guard has shown some individual progress.

Russell clearly appears more comfortable with his new role and recently said he feels that Scott has loosened the leash. Following the team’s practice on Sunday, Scott was asked about Russell’s comments via Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News:

Byron on D'Angelo thinking he's playing w/ longer leash: "I don't think I've loosened it up. He’s just getting more comfortable in his role"

Russell will have the opportunity to continue to prove his worth for the rest of his rookie campaign. Scott has made the Ohio State product a starter in the Lakers backcourt for the remainder of the season and will also continue to have Randle starting at power forward as well.

Continued....

Jim Buss/Jeannie Buss lack any real incentive(s) necessary to entice a player of Durant's caliber to the Lakers. Plus, Jim Buss/Jeannie Buss are notable for their lack of recruiting skills. Just ask Carmelo Anthony, LeMarcus Aldridge, LeBron James, and a slew of other big name free agents who have passed after their meeting with the Lakers staff. They need a big name fixture to help with recruiting of star athletes. Jim Buss especially doesn't look smart at all. I'd wager he comes across as a nitwit during any forum or meeting with free agents.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Lakers could have a shot at one of these five players in the NBA draft

The draft was ignored by the Lakers year after year, viewed as a necessary distraction between playoff runs and free agency.

They spent six years in a row trading or selling their first-round pick, relying instead on veterans to build and maintain a team that won NBA championships in 2009 and 2010.

Now the draft has become their lifeblood. First, they need a lifeline.

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour>>

Their first-round pick is only top-three protected or else they lose it as part of the Steve Nash trade. They have the NBA's second-worst record, giving them slightly better than 50-50 odds of keeping the pick by not falling below the third spot on lottery night.

As a public service to Lakers fans, here are the top five players in the draft with the NCAA tournament a couple of weeks away.

Continued....

For someone I don't expect to pay a lot of attention to the draft, those are pretty legit rankings.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Lakers believe they can meld new offensive set with Kobe Bryant’s presence
by Mark Medina - insidesocal.com

It has taken about four days of practice for the Lakers to report feeling comfortable with a new offensive set that puts an added extra emphasis on floor spacing and ball movement. It apparently has taken Kobe Bryant only a few moments before mastering it without even practicing it.

“I told him a little bit and he was like, ‘Yeah I got it,'” Lakers coach Byron Scott said, smiling. “I wasn’t surprised. I knew he would. It’s not a big deal.”

The Lakers (11-49) also enter Tuesday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets (17-42) at Staples Center insisting it is not a big deal on how they will continue blending this new offensive sit with Bryant’s presence amid his expected return after nursing soreness in his right shoulder. As Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson mused, “He’s a basketball genius and will figure it out in two seconds.”

But when accounting for Bryant’s presence and the Lakers’ tendency to defer to their star player, how do the Lakers find the balance between adhering to the offensive principles while maximizing Bryant’s scoring abilities?

“I don’t think it’ll be a problem,” Lakers forward Julius Randle said. “We’ll create spacing and move the ball. It’ll help us operate and make plays for each other and for ourselves.”

Scott tweaked his offense last week during Thursday’s practice that he described as “one set with a ton of options.” That left little time for the Lakers to prepare before Friday’s loss to Memphis. The move also initially appeared headscratching considering the Lakers have only 22 games remaining. Yet, Scott said he reverted back to a motion offense his summer league team ran to prepare for the 2016-17 campaign.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: February 29, 2012
by nba.com

The Masked Mamba made his debut and let Minnesota know that a broken nose didn’t make him any less dangerous.

Bryant — who had also received a concussion in the All-Star Game on a hard foul from Dwyane Wade — racked up 31 points to lead Los Angeles to victory in its first game back from the break.

“Kobe is a special human being,” head coach Mike Brown told reporters. “I don’t have answers for him. I don’t know what he’s made of. He’s just different. His body reacts different.”

Bryant claimed that the protective mask was uncomfortable, saying it felt like “a sauna on my face,” but it didn’t slow him down in the 104-85 win — L.A.’s 17th straight over the Timberwolves.

After leading by six at halftime, the Lakers stormed out of the locker room by immediately rattling off nine unanswered points. Bryant scored 14 points in the third quarter alone, as the Lakers outscored their visitors, 33-15.

While Bryant also notched eight assists and seven rebounds to lead a Lakers offense that recorded 30 assists on 41 baskets, Minnesota had no such cohesion.

With All-Star Kevin Love out due to illness, no Wolf reached 15 points.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Practice Videos - Feb. 29, 2016
by lakersnation.com

Byron Scott Looks To The Future With New Offense

Julius Randle, 'We've Come A Long Way'

Jordan Clarkson On What Kobe Bryant's Been Stressing To Him
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: