AN ORAL HISTORY OF LAKERS-KINGS, 2002 WCF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: AN ORAL HISTORY OF LAKERS-KINGS, 2002 WCF

ALL THE KINGS' MEN

Really good piece on Grantland. Discusses each game, with choice quotes from all the members involved - from refs and reporters, to players and assistant coaches. Even remarks on how Game 5 is undercovered in terms of the "ref conspiracy" that surrounds the series (I am sure NPZ is happy).

EDIT: Easily one of the best (from a Laker viewpoint) discussions of Game 6.

Here is a nice quote (Tom Delaney, NBA referee Game 6, on the Kobe elbow to Bibby):
Quote:
I’ve seen elbows thrown; to me that was not a thrown elbow. But if I had my perfect game, if I could sit down, break down the play, and have that perfect ballgame, I would’ve called the away-from-the-play foul, which means the Lakers would’ve shot one and retained possession, and called a technical on Kobe. Sacramento shoots one technical foul, L.A. does the same, and they inbound the ball from the same spot.

Ah, I forgot to include the best part of the whole article:

Quote:
Chris Webber, Rick Adelman, and the Maloof family declined repeated interview requests for this story.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Cutheon on Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Nice thread, Cut. I just finished reading it about an hour ago. Note: It isn't brief.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Nice thread, Cut. I just finished reading it about an hour ago. Note: It isn't brief.

As a Laker fan, suffering these past few years, this was a great trip down memory lane. It is amazing how much that series has stuck with members of the Kings organization - how it has become more than a sporting event, but a part of their psychology. The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't help but think about how totally freaking awesome (and, to be honest, somewhat lucky) the Lakers have been and how much we rule the NBA.

I, strangely, came to respect the refs even more - the piece did a good job of humanizing them.

The biggest takeaway, for me, was that coaching really decided the series. The Lakers played with true Zen - call it a preternatural self-assuredness, a cockiness past self-confidence and bordering near a belief in destiny, but that Laker team was simply ready. Adelman should have prepared his team better - that they were still obsessing over game 6, with Game 7 about to start, is remarkably telling in regards to the mental states of the two teams.

Damn, I miss those teams and I can't wait for this franchise to be back kicking NBA ass all over again.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic read. Definitely a great trip down memory lane, but the dichotomy between the Kings and Lakers, from the team to the fans, is what's really fascinating. For both the Laker team and their fans, it was a stepping stone to another title and then onto the next one. And Laker fans have had two more in the interim and that's still our mindset: when's the next one? Kings fans (and the members of that team) are still hung up on it. A missed opportunity from 10+ years ago backlights their entire collective psyche. Crazy.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Great read.

Quote:
5. Horry spent about half his interview arguing that most of this oral history’s sequences occurred in different years. Horry literally has too many championships to differentiate them all.

This made me LOL.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Great read. I was glad to hear others say that Sac had more talent top to bottom. The myth that Phil Jackson's teams always had the most talent is a bit tiresome. Go back and look at some of the rosters that Phil won titles with.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

TRULY the best years. One Robert Horry 3 away from likely 4PEAT in 2003. Can't have em all i suppose.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Fantastic read. Definitely a great trip down memory lane, but the dichotomy between the Kings and Lakers, from the team to the fans, is what's really fascinating. For both the Laker team and their fans, it was a stepping stone to another title and then onto the next one. And Laker fans have had two more in the interim and that's still our mindset: when's the next one? Kings fans (and the members of that team) are still hung up on it. A missed opportunity from 10+ years ago backlights their entire collective psyche. Crazy.

I just got into it with 3 Kings fans this week at Target here in Sacto. Both were recent Sac. State seniors, so that would have made them about 10 years old when this series took place...and they're still butt hurt over it. I just laughed at them. Idiots.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Christie: My son is a huge Kobe fan, so I have all this Kobe stuff and Lakers stuff all over my house. I actually bought him the shot of Robert Horry shooting over Chris — it’s signed and it’s on his wall. I look at this picture every day in my son’s room and Webb is stretching. His fingers are stretching and he’s trying to get there and it was just a perfect pass by Vlade.

I couldn't do this. No way!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:
Quote:
Christie: My son is a huge Kobe fan, so I have all this Kobe stuff and Lakers stuff all over my house. I actually bought him the shot of Robert Horry shooting over Chris — it’s signed and it’s on his wall. I look at this picture every day in my son’s room and Webb is stretching. His fingers are stretching and he’s trying to get there and it was just a perfect pass by Vlade.

I couldn't do this. No way!

Even Christie's son made him his (bleep).
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject:

That game 5 was such bs
XxBaDGuYxX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

- Kobe Bryant
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:

Christie is such a pantywaist.

Look no further than Dougie as one of the core reasons they never won (bleep).

I liked his completely idiotic claim that Samaki's halftime three pointer in Game 4 (which shouldn't have counted) was a "momentum change".

Let me get his straight, you have led by as many as 27, you're up 20 at the half, and a bad call that gives the other team three points is a "momentum change".

Like I said, the guy's a loser, and a big reason Sacramento never won anything except their precious Pacific Division banner.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:

Exhibit #1 why the Lakers should never consider hiring Adelman.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:

Shaq literally owns the Kings...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: AN ORAL HISTORY OF LAKERS-KINGS, 2002 WCF

Cutheon wrote:
Even remarks on how Game 5 is undercovered in terms of the "ref conspiracy" that surrounds the series (I am sure NPZ is happy).

Have I beaten that horse to death or what? Game 2 as well. They expect us to be honest about Gm 6, which was horrible all the way thru, then they should meet us halfway and at least concede that the overall quality of officiating was poor in some of their wins too. They don't even have to drop their stance that Gm 6 is the worst of all time, yadda yadda, but I haven't met very many Kings fans who were willing even to concede that the Kings shouldn't even have been set up for that go-ahead shot at the end of Gm 5.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Christie is such a pantywaist.

Look no further than Dougie as one of the core reasons they never won (bleep).

I liked his completely idiotic claim that Samaki's halftime three pointer in Game 4 (which shouldn't have counted) was a "momentum change".

Let me get his straight, you have led by as many as 27, you're up 20 at the half, and a bad call that gives the other team three points is a "momentum change".

Like I said, the guy's a loser, and a big reason Sacramento never won anything except their precious Pacific Division banner.

True, and they sidestep the issue that buzzer shots weren't even reviewable then, nor were there light strips. There were numerous shots that postseason that were iffy. Reggie Miller had one against the Nets that I think sent a game to OT. To the naked eye, Reggie's shot was iffy in real time as was Samaki's. Baron Davis had one for Charlotte that I believe should've counted, but it was waived off.

5. Horry spent about half his interview arguing that most of this oral history’s sequences occurred in different years. Horry literally has too many championships to differentiate them all.

^ Nah. That's the Alabama Effect. Barkley doesn't know what year it is half the time either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: AN ORAL HISTORY OF LAKERS-KINGS, 2002 WCF

non-player zealot wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Even remarks on how Game 5 is undercovered in terms of the "ref conspiracy" that surrounds the series (I am sure NPZ is happy).

Have I beaten that horse to death or what? Game 2 as well. They expect us to be honest about Gm 6, which was horrible all the way thru, then they should meet us halfway and at least concede that the overall quality of officiating was poor in some of their wins too. They don't even have to drop their stance that Gm 6 is the worst of all time, yadda yadda, but I haven't met very many Kings fans who were willing even to concede that the Kings shouldn't even have been set up for that go-ahead shot at the end of Gm 5.

A contradiction....most Kings "fans" left the team after they broke apart the band. I'd say most of them were just Laker haters in general who hated us 3 peating.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject:

great read, but definitely a long piece.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Christie: I actually bought him the shot of Robert Horry shooting over Chris — it’s signed and it’s on his wall.

He even had to pay for it.

Great thread.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Divac: Basically, I made a good pass to Robert Horry.

Yup.

SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Game 5 and the lack of talk about it always baffles me. So the refs swallowed the whistle on Bobby Jackson fouling Kobe, that's fine let the players dictate the outcome. The out of bounds play that gave the Kings the ball back is laughable. Watch Webbers reaction he KNOWS the ball was off him. Then when he gets the inbound pass and turns into Fish as he hands off to Bibby it's an obvious offensive foul. Hilarious sad pathetic Kings fans still whining twelve years later..
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Kings were right, they DID have the better team. The Three-Peat team had rebellious Kobe, disgruntled, out of shape Shaq, and beyond that a whole lotta nothing.

Robert Horry was forced into starting PF role and we had no bench support at all. Phil had to keep either Kobe or Shaq on the floor at all times, we just could not have both resting on the bench.

Our victory that year is a testimony to Phil's genius. Kings choked at home, plain and simple. Forget the referees and hit your damn FTs.

Oh, and F Doug Christie. His claim to fame, just like every other self-proclaimed "Kobe Stopper," is getting owned by the Mamba during the playoffs.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Kings were right, they DID have the better team. The Three-Peat team had rebellious Kobe, disgruntled, out of shape Shaq, and beyond that a whole lotta nothing.

Robert Horry was forced into starting PF role and we had no bench support at all. Phil had to keep either Kobe or Shaq on the floor at all times, we just could not have both resting on the bench.

Our victory that year is a testimony to Phil's genius. Kings choked at home, plain and simple. Forget the referees and hit your damn FTs.

Oh, and F Doug Christie. His claim to fame, just like every other self-proclaimed "Kobe Stopper," is getting owned by the Mamba during the playoffs.

I don't remember Kobe being rebellious at all that year. After turning the heat up during the 2000-2001 season, I though he kept a low profile in 2001-2002. He was content with being a 25 ppg scorer that season rather than a 30 ppg scorer, which appeared to be his goal the previous season.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
TRULY the best years. One Robert Horry 3 away from likely 4PEAT in 2003. Can't have em all i suppose.

Aww, thanks "Debbie Downer".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: