Total Votes : 40

sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I just went to Peter Luger's yesterday. It beats every one of the restaurants in this poll. One of the best steaks I have ever had. I had a really good ribeye at this restaurant called twist in Las Vegas. I like this steakhouse near Anaheim I've been to twice. It's called ranch or ranch house. Always forget the name, but really good.

The Ranch. Their prime rib is great.

Prime rib isn't steak though. It's a roast, which is quite different.

Aware of that, was just clarifying the name of the place for LS. I haven't tried any of their steaks so can't comment on them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Gus's steakhouse in Sonora. I am not a fan of anything on my steak besides salt and pepper, but they serve a garlic butter that is amazing.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I miss steakhouses.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

No, but I don’t dine out during Covid.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

have a feeling if you maintain that position, you will never be able to dine out again....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

have a feeling if you maintain that position, you will never be able to dine out again....

Why is that? Do you dine indoors now? Have you gotten Covid yet?

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Mastro's (BH). We went in February - still good.

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!

Have you gotten Covid yet? Or is indoor dining not actually that dangerous in any one instance?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

Or he’d be able to dine out sooner if meatheads actually took covid seriously.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

Pun intended or not?

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

It does not matter how serious it is taken....it is not going away anytime soon...
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Have you gotten Covid yet? Or is indoor dining not actually that dangerous in any one instance?

Two vaccinations, two boosters and outdoor dining.

Wife is still skittish about eating out/in crowds. We've had two family members plus a dozen people in our church die from COVID-19, so we take it seriously. We were in Palm Springs in February 2021 for our Anniversary. We had reservations at a 5-star restaurant, drove up there, saw how close folks were sitting to each other, went back to our AirBNB and ordered pizza.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think at some point taste is subjective. I had a better steak at Morton’s in Portland than I’ve had a Ruth’s Chris in three locations and Mastros. But there are a lot of factors that go into that. Best steak I’ve had I cooked myself, fwiw.

I cook a great steak, too, but top flight steakhouses get a cut/quality of meat that is hard to find , even at Gelson's or specialty meat markets.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I think at some point taste is subjective. I had a better steak at Morton’s in Portland than I’ve had a Ruth’s Chris in three locations and Mastros. But there are a lot of factors that go into that. Best steak I’ve had I cooked myself, fwiw.

I cook a great steak, too, but top flight steakhouses get a cut/quality of meat that is hard to find , even at Gelson's or specialty meat markets.

Not to mention really good ones have a whole aging/handling process that can't be replicated at home. I've definitely made some great steaks at home. We have a small butcher here in our town that gets some top cuts and while back I picked up a couple of 2" thick cut NY strip grom there that I reverse seared on the grill, and that was awesome. But it is really tough to match a high-quality cut cooked by a skilled steakhouse chef.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Wife is still skittish about eating out/in crowds. We've had two family members plus a dozen people in our church die from COVID-19, so we take it seriously. We were in Palm Springs in February 2021 for our Anniversary. We had reservations at a 5-star restaurant, drove up there, saw how close folks were sitting to each other, went back to our AirBNB and ordered pizza.

The wife and I had a wine country weekend in Napa last weekend. Fortunately the tasting were all outdoors and all meals but one were as well, because I was a little surprised by how casual people have become in regards to just being on the safe side.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I miss steakhouses.

Did you go Vegan?

It does not matter how serious it is taken....it is not going away anytime soon...

It’s not going away entirely, sure, but we’d be a long way down the road from where we are (with hundreds of thousands less dead just in this country) if ignorant tribalists hadn’t made obstructing proper precautions and vaccination an act of self owning political dumbassery. We are still in the wait and see more about variants when restrictions drop because we are still living around way too many of the intellectually inbred to make dining indoors a reasonable risk in many areas.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Not to mention really good ones have a whole aging/handling process that can't be replicated at home. I've definitely made some great steaks at home. We have a small butcher here in our town that gets some top cuts and while back I picked up a couple of 2" thick cut NY strip grom there that I reverse seared on the grill, and that was awesome. But it is really tough to match a high-quality cut cooked by a skilled steakhouse chef.

I hear you. Not every or even many steaks I make touch the top steak houses. But I did manage to score a prime porterhouse a few years back, and while I’m better at it now and my memory may be biased, I got that one perfect.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject:

^^^Having had steak at your place, you do do a very nice job with them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.

In the meantime, comparing restaurant to restaurant has too many confounding variables -- variations in an individual piece of meat and how it was cooked, the setting, the company you were with, your mood, your hydration level, the wine you had with it, etc., etc. That said, the best cut of meat in my memory was at Cut in Las Vegas. They brought a slab of Japanese A5 Wagyu, a slab of American Wagyu, and a slab of their top domestic non-Wagyu. We were a table of eight. The American Wagyu was the clear consensus, and in my opinion the best steak I ever had.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.

Man . . . that marbling!

Quote:
In the meantime, comparing restaurant to restaurant has too many confounding variables -- variations in an individual piece of meat and how it was cooked, the setting, the company you were with, your mood, your hydration level, the wine you had with it, etc., etc. That said, the best cut of meat in my memory was at Cut in Las Vegas. They brought a slab of Japanese A5 Wagyu, a slab of American Wagyu, and a slab of their top domestic non-Wagyu. We were a table of eight. The American Wagyu was the clear consensus, and in my opinion the best steak I ever had.

Yeah? . . . Well Wagyu know!?

(sorry, couldn't resist . . . suspension be damned! )
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Man . . . that marbling!

Quote:

That ribeye....
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Man . . . that marbling!

Quote:

That ribeye....

There’s a Japanese market a couple of miles away from me which sells raw A5 Wagyu. I’ve bought it a couple of times and made it myself. Seems like kind of a waste with my mediocre cooking skills, but still delicious. I wonder how much of it you could eat without getting sick from all the oiliness, though.

What are people’s stances on the ribeye vs porterhouse vs bone-in filet debate? I like porterhouse the most but no grocery store sells it for some reason— just T-bones and sometimes not even that.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I didn’t know Mastro’s in Beverly Hills had outdoor seating. Last time I went there was in 2017 on a Saturday night, and they were too busy to even acknowledge me, let alone seat me.

How good is it?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: