Ruth's Chris vs Mastro's vs Morton's vs. Flemings vs. Cut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best steakhouse?
Ruth's Chris
32%
 32%  [ 13 ]
Mastro's
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Morton's
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Flemings
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Cut
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 50711
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.


Bring dessert?


I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…


Sounds like you're trying to cut the others guys out!

Just bring the Lagavulin 16. LC can bring the wine up from Napa. Cut can bring his better half's best dessert and we'll make it an evening!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89806
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I voted for Mastro's (BH). We went in February - still good.

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!


I'm going to Bobo's for my wife's birthday this year. Can't wait.

Best steak I've had at a restaurant has been at Niku's steakhouse: link.

Also the most expensive meal I've ever had - well worth it. Was seated next to the Warriors owner (Lacob), which was interesting.

I can also cook a mean steak and while I'll take it over 99.9% of steakhouses, as others have said, the premier steakhouses have access to meat and aging abilities you just can't really do at home.

Quick edit: while I love to grill, boy do I wish I could make some of you a steak on the pan my way . . . it'll knock your fuggin socks off.


Did you get to talk to Lacob or say hi? How did you know it was him?

What is your pan recipe?


We said hi, but left him alone. He was with his son (the one who manages their D-Leage team).

It was definitely Lacob. Googled him on my phone and he looked like the picture . . . plus I heard them discussing the Chase Center and the upcoming year lol.


What did they say about the upcoming season?


Not much I can remember at the moment. This was pre-Covid i want to say.

Also - the pan recipe. It's a variation on what Gordon does in this video: LINK


I use the old Julia Child method:

1 - season steaks and bring to room temp (30-60 minutes before cooking)
2 - preheat cast iron skillet in a 500+degree oven for 10 minutes
3 - put skillet on high burner on stove
4 - once the pan is just smoking, add high heat oil to skillet
5 - sear steaks for 60 seconds per side
6 - top meat with butter, cover skillet and put steaks in 500+ degree oven until 5-10 degrees below desired temp (usually 2-3 minutes for medium rare)
7 - remove steaks from pan, tent and rest for 5-10 minutes
8 - plate and serve.

It's smoky as hell and even hotter - but the steaks come out perfectly cooked.


I used to do that until the started reading up on the subject, realized that leaving a steak out an hour doesn’t do anything for you because it is surface moisture, not temperature, that is your enemy. You’re better leaving them uncovered in a fridge overnight because the time it takes to go from forty vs sixty is immaterial. And then I discovered reverse sear.

You take the steak and heat it at low temp (200 works best for me) until it is 115 degrees inside. Don’t worry about the probe leaking juices, since a steak is a bunch of tiny balloons not one big one. Then you load that puppy into the cast iron (you can use a bbq if you like, not my preference but no judgement on that) at super high heat and wear the outsides (including the edges). I also endorse a bit of butter, although I tend to put it on before serving. The steak will be charred on the outside and consistent deep pink/red all the way to the edge, rather than that depth of gray you get from going high heat to begin with.

You have to use thick steaks for best results but it is virtually foolproof. Perfect steak every time with very little effort. An induction burner (or gas) and a 1930’s vintage griswold cast iron skillet help, and I use a ninja foodie convection oven that also lightly dries the outside so I get a very fast sear. No resting before or after cooking. Pan to plate.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 33819
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I voted for Mastro's (BH). We went in February - still good.

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!


I'm going to Bobo's for my wife's birthday this year. Can't wait.

Best steak I've had at a restaurant has been at Niku's steakhouse: link.

Also the most expensive meal I've ever had - well worth it. Was seated next to the Warriors owner (Lacob), which was interesting.

I can also cook a mean steak and while I'll take it over 99.9% of steakhouses, as others have said, the premier steakhouses have access to meat and aging abilities you just can't really do at home.

Quick edit: while I love to grill, boy do I wish I could make some of you a steak on the pan my way . . . it'll knock your fuggin socks off.


Did you get to talk to Lacob or say hi? How did you know it was him?

What is your pan recipe?


We said hi, but left him alone. He was with his son (the one who manages their D-Leage team).

It was definitely Lacob. Googled him on my phone and he looked like the picture . . . plus I heard them discussing the Chase Center and the upcoming year lol.


What did they say about the upcoming season?


Not much I can remember at the moment. This was pre-Covid i want to say.

Also - the pan recipe. It's a variation on what Gordon does in this video: LINK


I use the old Julia Child method:

1 - season steaks and bring to room temp (30-60 minutes before cooking)
2 - preheat cast iron skillet in a 500+degree oven for 10 minutes
3 - put skillet on high burner on stove
4 - once the pan is just smoking, add high heat oil to skillet
5 - sear steaks for 60 seconds per side
6 - top meat with butter, cover skillet and put steaks in 500+ degree oven until 5-10 degrees below desired temp (usually 2-3 minutes for medium rare)
7 - remove steaks from pan, tent and rest for 5-10 minutes
8 - plate and serve.

It's smoky as hell and even hotter - but the steaks come out perfectly cooked.


I used to do that until the started reading up on the subject, realized that leaving a steak out an hour doesn’t do anything for you because it is surface moisture, not temperature, that is your enemy. You’re better leaving them uncovered in a fridge overnight because the time it takes to go from forty vs sixty is immaterial. And then I discovered reverse sear.

You take the steak and heat it at low temp (200 works best for me) until it is 115 degrees inside. Don’t worry about the probe leaking juices, since a steak is a bunch of tiny balloons not one big one. Then you load that puppy into the cast iron (you can use a bbq if you like, not my preference but no judgement on that) at super high heat and wear the outsides (including the edges). I also endorse a bit of butter, although I tend to put it on before serving. The steak will be charred on the outside and consistent deep pink/red all the way to the edge, rather than that depth of gray you get from going high heat to begin with.

You have to use thick steaks for best results but it is virtually foolproof. Perfect steak every time with very little effort. An induction burner (or gas) and a 1930’s vintage griswold cast iron skillet help, and I use a ninja foodie convection oven that also lightly dries the outside so I get a very fast sear. No resting before or after cooking. Pan to plate.


What’s wrong with just pan frying it?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9846

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar - I've recently gotten into reverse searing as well. I used to sear first in a cast iron and then finish in the oven to 120-125 but my wife felt I was over-drying the steaks. Lately, I've also been cooking low heat in the grill over a cast iron smoker box filled with wood chips. For some reason if I go past 105 and then sear I'm going past medium rare; maybe you're using thicker cuts to pull it off. I prefer to sear on the grill; I'm a sucker for the grill marks and it's easier to do while keeping the probe in...wife is loving the results so far. I might be able to still pull it off on a big enough cast iron though.

I agree that you need to minimize surface moisture prior to cooking. A quick and dirty way is that I'll just turn the steak onto its side and leave it in the fridge overnight. Of course you can use a wire rack or even chopsticks.
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)


Last edited by gng930 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9846

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

What’s wrong with just pan frying it?


Tough to get the right combo of well-seared (or charred if that's your preference) exterior and medium-rare doneness this way.
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 33819
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What’s wrong with just pan frying it?


Tough to get the right combo of well-seared (or charred if that's your preference) exterior and medium-rare doneness this way.


Oh. I prefer rare or blue.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15949

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
<snip>


I'm going to Bobo's for my wife's birthday this year. Can't wait.

<snip>


Did you get to talk to Lacob or say hi? How did you know it was him?

What is your pan recipe?


We said hi, but left him alone. He was with his son (the one who manages their D-Leage team).

It was definitely Lacob. Googled him on my phone and he looked like the picture . . . plus I heard them discussing the Chase Center and the upcoming year lol.


What did they say about the upcoming season?


Not much I can remember at the moment. This was pre-Covid i want to say.

Also - the pan recipe. It's a variation on what Gordon does in this video: LINK


<snip>.


I used to do that until the started reading up on the subject, realized that leaving a steak out an hour doesn’t do anything for you because it is surface moisture, not temperature, that is your enemy. You’re better leaving them uncovered in a fridge overnight because the time it takes to go from forty vs sixty is immaterial. And then I discovered reverse sear.

You take the steak and heat it at low temp (200 works best for me) until it is 115 degrees inside. Don’t worry about the probe leaking juices, since a steak is a bunch of tiny balloons not one big one. Then you load that puppy into the cast iron (you can use a bbq if you like, not my preference but no judgement on that) at super high heat and wear the outsides (including the edges). I also endorse a bit of butter, although I tend to put it on before serving. The steak will be charred on the outside and consistent deep pink/red all the way to the edge, rather than that depth of gray you get from going high heat to begin with.

You have to use thick steaks for best results but it is virtually foolproof. Perfect steak every time with very little effort. An induction burner (or gas) and a 1930’s vintage griswold cast iron skillet help, and I use a ninja foodie convection oven that also lightly dries the outside so I get a very fast sear. No resting before or after cooking. Pan to plate.


I've heard about reverse sear, but haven't found a workable method for me to try. I enjoy "sous vide" cooked steaks, so I figured reverse sear would be delicious.

What method do you use for the initial heating? Low oven? Low skillet? Convection oven?
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15949

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Omar - I've recently gotten into reverse searing as well. I used to sear first in a cast iron and then finish in the oven to 120-125 but my wife felt I was over-drying the steaks. Lately, I've also been cooking low heat in the grill over a cast iron smoker box filled with wood chips. For some reason if I go past 105 and then sear I'm going past medium rare; maybe you're using thicker cuts to pull it off. I prefer to sear on the grill; I'm a sucker for the grill marks and it's easier to do while keeping the probe in...wife is loving the results so far. I might be able to still pull it off on a big enough cast iron though.

I agree that you need to minimize surface moisture prior to cooking. A quick and dirty way is that I'll just turn the steak onto its side and leave it in the fridge overnight. Of course you can use a wire rack or even chopsticks.


So you slow smoke it to 100-105, then put on a hot grill to sear?

Do you serve it as soon as it reaches the correct temp, or take it off early and let it rest/rise?
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 50711
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Omar - I've recently gotten into reverse searing as well. I used to sear first in a cast iron and then finish in the oven to 120-125 but my wife felt I was over-drying the steaks. Lately, I've also been cooking low heat in the grill over a cast iron smoker box filled with wood chips. For some reason if I go past 105 and then sear I'm going past medium rare; maybe you're using thicker cuts to pull it off. I prefer to sear on the grill; I'm a sucker for the grill marks and it's easier to do while keeping the probe in...wife is loving the results so far. I might be able to still pull it off on a big enough cast iron though.

I agree that you need to minimize surface moisture prior to cooking. A quick and dirty way is that I'll just turn the steak onto its side and leave it in the fridge overnight. Of course you can use a wire rack or even chopsticks.


So you slow smoke it to 100-105, then put on a hot grill to sear?

Do you serve it as soon as it reaches the correct temp, or take it off early and let it rest/rise?


I do my reverse sears on the grill. I slow cook it on one side of the grill on low with the other side on high. When the steak hits that first target temperature, I move it over to the grill that is on high and sear it briefly my grill has a specific section for just that purpose) on each side until just under the final doneness. I then pull it off and set it aside under foil for 10 minutes to let its own internal temperature do the last of the cook.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9846

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Omar - I've recently gotten into reverse searing as well. I used to sear first in a cast iron and then finish in the oven to 120-125 but my wife felt I was over-drying the steaks. Lately, I've also been cooking low heat in the grill over a cast iron smoker box filled with wood chips. For some reason if I go past 105 and then sear I'm going past medium rare; maybe you're using thicker cuts to pull it off. I prefer to sear on the grill; I'm a sucker for the grill marks and it's easier to do while keeping the probe in...wife is loving the results so far. I might be able to still pull it off on a big enough cast iron though.

I agree that you need to minimize surface moisture prior to cooking. A quick and dirty way is that I'll just turn the steak onto its side and leave it in the fridge overnight. Of course you can use a wire rack or even chopsticks.


So you slow smoke it to 100-105, then put on a hot grill to sear?

Do you serve it as soon as it reaches the correct temp, or take it off early and let it rest/rise?


That's correct. I'll also generally baste it with garlic and butter via thyme/rosemary sprigs during the slow smoke.

I'm still experimenting with timing but I'll let it go to 120-125 with searing and it will generally rise another 10-15 degrees even after taking it off the grill, depending on how aggressively I sear and any flame-ups with a goal of 130-135. If it's not quite getting up to my desired temp, wrapping in foil tent-style or just stacking it on top of another steak that just came off the grill does the trick. This is why I'm strongly considering investing in a wireless thermometer (e.g. MEATER) because all those wires do get cumbersome and annoying.

Some have mentioned that you don't need to let your steak rest after reverse searing as the process of slow cooking already lets the juices settle though I'm not sure I buy that. I'll generally let it sit at least until after the temperature as peaked (hopefully at the target range) which in itself is at least several minutes after taking it off the grill.
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11186

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

I've been using a similar method.

* I have my cast iron on one side of the grill. It's just easier that way.
* I butter baste in the cast iron (sometimes with aromatics, sometimes not)
* Err on the side of caution here -- better to pull them out a little too cool than a little too hot.
* Move them from the cast iron to the grill grate for the sear. Ideally the sear is finished just a little under the final temperature.
* Move them back to the cast iron and continue to butter base to about 125. This gets the temperature right without needing to over-sear, leaving more room for on-the-fly adjustments, plus it gets the butter back on the steak right before resting.
* Tent & rest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11186

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.


Bring dessert?


I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…


Sounds like you're trying to cut the others guys out!

Just bring the Lagavulin 16. LC can bring the wine up from Napa. Cut can bring his better half's best dessert and we'll make it an evening!


Balvenie 21 Portwood is my current whisk(e)y of choice (that doesn't come from Japan and require a loan to purchase). I guess I'll have to bring that too...

I'll go Spanish for the wine -- Vega Sicilia Valbuena.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89806
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.


Bring dessert?


I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…


Sounds like you're trying to cut the others guys out!

Just bring the Lagavulin 16. LC can bring the wine up from Napa. Cut can bring his better half's best dessert and we'll make it an evening!


Balvenie 21 Portwood is my current whisk(e)y of choice (that doesn't come from Japan and require a loan to purchase). I guess I'll have to bring that too...

I'll go Spanish for the wine -- Vega Sicilia Valbuena.


I think we may be on to part of the reason university tuitions are so high…
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 50711
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.


Bring dessert?


I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…


Sounds like you're trying to cut the others guys out!

Just bring the Lagavulin 16. LC can bring the wine up from Napa. Cut can bring his better half's best dessert and we'll make it an evening!


Balvenie 21 Portwood is my current whisk(e)y of choice (that doesn't come from Japan and require a loan to purchase). I guess I'll have to bring that too...

I'll go Spanish for the wine -- Vega Sicilia Valbuena.


You will, and both are welcome.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 21096

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.


Bring dessert?


I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…


Sounds like you're trying to cut the others guys out!

Just bring the Lagavulin 16. LC can bring the wine up from Napa. Cut can bring his better half's best dessert and we'll make it an evening!


Balvenie 21 Portwood is my current whisk(e)y of choice (that doesn't come from Japan and require a loan to purchase). I guess I'll have to bring that too...

I'll go Spanish for the wine -- Vega Sicilia Valbuena.


I think we may be on to part of the reason university tuitions are so high…


The students' current whisky of choice is the $10 Jim Beam that's got a few years of shelf dust on it. It has the godawful caramel aftertaste that makes you want to ralph. It's highly recommended on campus.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 12557

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

one recent tweak to my reverse sears that I really like is seasoning the steak AFTER cooking. This allows the steak to form a very nice crust without risking it having a burnt seasoning taste.
_________________
(bleep) Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Oct 2001
Posts: 6247
Location: Allupinya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

Has anyone been to Arthur J's in Manhattan Beach? I've had some excellent steaks there. Top notch.

Of the choices given, I'd pick Mastro's. The others all feel a little too "Sizzler" for me, except for Cut. I've had some good meals there. I just prefer Mastro's to Cut.

I haven't been to Del Frisco's or Craig's but I have been meaning to go to both. Soon.

EDIT: I asked my wife where she wants to go for Mother's Day and she said Del Frisco's. I will report back.
_________________
You are under no obligation to remain the same person you were a year ago, a month ago, or even a day ago. You are here to create yourself, continuously. - Richard Feynman


Last edited by Heartburn on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21813

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

The students' current whisky of choice is the $10 Jim Beam that's got a few years of shelf dust on it. It has the godawful caramel aftertaste that makes you want to ralph. It's highly recommended on campus.


Jim Beam black is nice, Bulleit Rye too (adding Bourbon to my scotch palate)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 12557

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Jim Beam is awful. Not even Cola can save it from that nasty aftertaste.
_________________
(bleep) Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 50711
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.


Man . . . that marbling!


Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav


I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .


So I did a test run by buying as couple of 4 oz. Miyazaki Wagyus to start. Worked out great.

As you can see, the Marbling is as promised.

Due to the high fat content, I went with a no open flame approach. I cut the filets into one inch wide strips (you can see the fat still on the knife) and then quickly cooked them on a stainless steel pan heated to medium high. I seered them for one minute on each side and then for a few seconds on each edge.

This method worked great. They came out looking gorgeous and tasted insanely delicious. It's not cheap, but it's incredibly easy to do and is worth every penny.

Highly recommend.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15949

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.


Man . . . that marbling!


Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav


I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .


So I did a test run by buying as couple of 4 oz. Miyazaki Wagyus to start. Worked out great.

As you can see, the Marbling is as promised.

Due to the high fat content, I went with a no open flame approach. I cut the filets into one inch wide strips (you can see the fat still on the knife) and then quickly cooked them on a stainless steel pan heated to medium high. I seered them for one minute on each side and then for a few seconds on each edge.

This method worked great. They came out looking gorgeous and tasted insanely delicious. It's not cheap, but it's incredibly easy to do and is worth every penny.

Highly recommend.


Definitely looks amazing!
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11186

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.


Man . . . that marbling!


Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav


I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .


So I did a test run by buying as couple of 4 oz. Miyazaki Wagyus to start. Worked out great.

As you can see, the Marbling is as promised.

Due to the high fat content, I went with a no open flame approach. I cut the filets into one inch wide strips (you can see the fat still on the knife) and then quickly cooked them on a stainless steel pan heated to medium high. I seered them for one minute on each side and then for a few seconds on each edge.

This method worked great. They came out looking gorgeous and tasted insanely delicious. It's not cheap, but it's incredibly easy to do and is worth every penny.

Highly recommend.


Nice! We ordered some Wagyus from Snake River Farms to cook last weekend. I butter basted in cast iron then finished them on the grill, and they also came out great. A little cheaper than those Miyazakis (about $100 for my ribeye, and $50 each for two tenderloins for the fam) and really high quality. You can find them HERE. Washed them down with a Callaway Wild Yeast cab.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15949

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

Dinner for 8 at Fleming's in Pasadena last night. Bone-in Ribeye (20 oz) was good-but-not-spectacular.

ADD TO THE LIST:

Ember & Rye at the Aviara near Carlsbad. Steaks cooked over an open flame on outdoor grills. Flavorful and perfectly prepared. One of those at the top of the list.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89806
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.


Man . . . that marbling!


Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav


I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .


So I did a test run by buying as couple of 4 oz. Miyazaki Wagyus to start. Worked out great.

As you can see, the Marbling is as promised.

Due to the high fat content, I went with a no open flame approach. I cut the filets into one inch wide strips (you can see the fat still on the knife) and then quickly cooked them on a stainless steel pan heated to medium high. I seered them for one minute on each side and then for a few seconds on each edge.

This method worked great. They came out looking gorgeous and tasted insanely delicious. It's not cheap, but it's incredibly easy to do and is worth every penny.

Highly recommend.


Nice! We ordered some Wagyus from Snake River Farms to cook last weekend. I butter basted in cast iron then finished them on the grill, and they also came out great. A little cheaper than those Miyazakis (about $100 for my ribeye, and $50 each for two tenderloins for the fam) and really high quality. You can find them HERE. Washed them down with a Callaway Wild Yeast cab.


Yes, I get those through a specialty grocery up here and they are delicious.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15949

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Boycotting Morton's due to Kavanaugh episode.

The wife and I are checking out Fia Steak in Santa Monica on Tuesday. A friend told me about it and most of the yelp reviews are 5 stars.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB