OFFICIAL DWIGHT HOWARD DISCUSSION (Put all postmortem analysis and links to articles here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 838, 839, 840 ... 842, 843, 844  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salami
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Dwight would have had problems with Phil too, because he has problems with anyone who either holds him accountable or makes him do anything he doesn't want to do, which is be the hub of a dump it in offense. Phil is a zen master for sure, but ultimately he would have failed both of these litmus tests for the simple reason that he is also a rational, talented coach.

Some of Phil's best qualities are managing egos and dealing with the media. He is on record saying he would have fed Dwight inside to get him engaged and get the most out of him. I think the odds would be pretty good that Phil would have been able to manipulate a simpleton like Dwight and use the media to show him the support he was starving for. It probably would not have worked long term but I like his chances for blowing enough smoke up his butt to either get him to resign for use in the long term or as a trade chip.

Dantonis major flaws seem to be dealing with egos and the media. It might be an exaggeration to say he is the worst choice to manipulate Dwight into staying, but not by very much.

Of course winning a title was the primary objective. But arguably just as important if not more was getting Dwight to resign. In my eyes, Phil is vastly more qualified than the next best choice to and light years ahead of Dantoni to get this done.
8>24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
California awards ridiculous child support amounts. The law would allow them to take like $200,000 a month since he makes so much money.

How does it work though, is it the state where your wages are earned that decides the amount or the state where the child was born, etc?

Probably same reason why Nash fought so hard to keep his wife from moving to LA.

Cali child support is all done by computer. Input your salary and a number pops out. Judges have nothing to do with it.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject:

@KevinDing

Can't resist sharing the lead to my column about the joke from inside Lakers' offices about Dwight ... http://sulia.com/c/la-lakers/f/15f46015-4890-4e16-91bd-8cd720e7b1f9/?source=twitter

My browser can't read Sulia

Please repost link's comments, thanks.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
@KevinDing

Can't resist sharing the lead to my column about the joke from inside Lakers' offices about Dwight ... http://sulia.com/c/la-lakers/f/15f46015-4890-4e16-91bd-8cd720e7b1f9/?source=twitter

My browser can't read Sulia

Please repost link's comments, thanks.

Quote:
The joke making the rounds within the Lakers' organization after Dwight Howard's departure is that he didn't just head to Houston for promises to play more in the post, escape Kobe Bryant's demands, avoid state income tax and savor a smaller town again.
There were two wholly unreported elements working in critical tandem during the process:

Though no one will deny Dwight Howard is talented, the 2012-13 Lakers season wasn't a pleasant one.
GETTY IMAGES
Dwight's baby mamas. And California's sky-high child-support rates.
Howard was never going to make more money by staying, even with that fifth guaranteed year the Lakers were offering!
The fact that the Lakers can laugh – even if the humor is rude – about Howard's departure is a reflection of the relief that many inside the club feel.
No one will deny that Howard is a loss for the organization: He has the potential to be a top-three player in this league – and even if the Lakers decided they didn't want him anymore, they could've eventually swapped him for a mentally stronger superstar.
What is pervading the Lakers' offices in the days since all the Dwight Noise ended is little sense of regret or insecurity. There is some general surprise that the whole saga actually turned out this way, but the Lakers feel like they did what they could to make Howard feel wanted and appreciated – and he had issues that limited his ability or even desire to fit in.
It was, bottom line, not an enjoyable 2012-13 season with him.

Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject:

^ thanks ocho
lakersfan909
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject:

Can someone please post Kevin Ding's article from today? Thanks in advance
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Steve Nash says Dwight never wanted to be a Laker

Quote:
Steve Nash was pragmatic when looking back at what he described as a "disaster" of a season that led to Dwight Howard announcing his departure for the Houston Rockets last week: Howard never wanted to be a Los Angeles Laker in the first place.

"Ultimately, I think Dwight wasn't comfortable here and didn't want to be here and I think if he didn't want to be here, there's no point for anyone in him being here," Nash told "The Mason & Ireland Show" on ESPN LA 710 radio on Tuesday. "So, we wish him the best and move on."

Nash was one of two players, along with Kobe Bryant, the Lakers brought to their pitch last week to try to get Howard to stay in L.A. The former two-time league MVP's expectations heading into the sit-down with the former three-time defensive player of the year were not hopeful.

"Frankly, I thought before the meeting, we didn't really have a chance and I'd like to think that after the meeting we had a chance," Nash said.

More at link.

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwight was angry at Nash and Kobe

RePLAY wrote:

Per ESPN

"That tension came back to the surface when Bryant and Steve Nash met with Howard last Tuesday. Howard came at them hard, telling them how upset he was that they never publicly went to bat for him while he was injured.

He felt like they'd disrespected the effort he'd given by coming back from back surgery so quickly. He felt they had done little to mitigate the criticism he was hearing for his play.

Bryant and Nash were stunned. He'd never told them any of this before, or asked them to defend him publicly. They'd known he was injured and appreciated he came back to play many months before the initial time frame given following his back surgery, but the code among players is that if you don't say anything to your teammates about an injury, it's something you can handle on your own. If you need help, you tell your teammates and they close ranks around you, defending your honor to the public and on the court.

Howard never asked that of his teammates. He'd tried to play his way back into shape after back surgery, and soldiered on after he tore the labrum in his shoulder, even with a long-term contract on the line. But instead of getting credit for such acts, he'd heard constant criticism. And over the course of a long, trying season, that wore on him.

Why weren't people rushing to his defense? Why wasn't he getting credit for playing with so much pain? Was he supposed to ask for help? But if he did, wouldn't that be making excuses?

Looking back on it now, it's easy to see why it became such a toxic situation. But it's also easy to see, once again, how it could've been avoided, with better communication.

Bryant and Nash digested what Howard had to say, and told him they understood him better now. If they tried it all again next season, things would be different. He should come to them with these kinds of issues, instead of letting them fester. They all would learn and grow from this."

How much did Dwight respect the effort that Kobe and Nash gave all season, especially when they were injured? He certainly wasn't convinced enough to stay.

Unfortunately, if he is healthier in Houston I do expect him to play much better there. He never played like the Dwight Howard in Orlando. It's going to be annoying if he does excel with the Rockets.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwight was angry at Nash and Kobe

Steve007 wrote:
RePLAY wrote:

Per ESPN

"That tension came back to the surface when Bryant and Steve Nash met with Howard last Tuesday. Howard came at them hard, telling them how upset he was that they never publicly went to bat for him while he was injured.

He felt like they'd disrespected the effort he'd given by coming back from back surgery so quickly. He felt they had done little to mitigate the criticism he was hearing for his play.

Bryant and Nash were stunned. He'd never told them any of this before, or asked them to defend him publicly. They'd known he was injured and appreciated he came back to play many months before the initial time frame given following his back surgery, but the code among players is that if you don't say anything to your teammates about an injury, it's something you can handle on your own. If you need help, you tell your teammates and they close ranks around you, defending your honor to the public and on the court.

Howard never asked that of his teammates. He'd tried to play his way back into shape after back surgery, and soldiered on after he tore the labrum in his shoulder, even with a long-term contract on the line. But instead of getting credit for such acts, he'd heard constant criticism. And over the course of a long, trying season, that wore on him.

Why weren't people rushing to his defense? Why wasn't he getting credit for playing with so much pain? Was he supposed to ask for help? But if he did, wouldn't that be making excuses?

Looking back on it now, it's easy to see why it became such a toxic situation. But it's also easy to see, once again, how it could've been avoided, with better communication.

Bryant and Nash digested what Howard had to say, and told him they understood him better now. If they tried it all again next season, things would be different. He should come to them with these kinds of issues, instead of letting them fester. They all would learn and grow from this."

How much did Dwight respect the effort that Kobe and Nash gave all season, especially when they were injured? He certainly wasn't convinced enough to stay.

Unfortunately, if he is healthier in Houston I do expect him to play much better there. He never played like the Dwight Howard in Orlando. It's going to be annoying if he does excel with the Rockets.

It doesn't matter -- Houston's not winning snot w/ DH12 --- Pau owned him in 2009 and Splitter/Duncan owned him last year... DH12 is flawed in many areas & it comes to light during crunch time....
jibikao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject:

But, Dwight might have been more open with Phil. If you dislike your coach, then of course you'll keep things inside. And knowing MDA being the oblivious coach he is, he probably never even probed Howard, which Phil would have done. Because Phil pays attention to stuff like that; egos, personalities, tempers. MDA doesn't.
---------------------

I am sooooooooo sick of hearing how "miracle" Phil Jackson is. He has retired.. Lakers needs to move on and YES, NBA PLAYERS can play without Phil Jackson. Last time I checked, Heat's coach is NOT Phil Jackson. The only player that acts like he can never play without PJ is Howard.

Stop blaming Howard's behavior on MDA. Yup, I don't like him that much but Howard is some of the most selfish players I've seen. I do not blame MDA one bit for Howard acting like a spoiled brat.

Howard is not some "rookie". Grow up and man up and play as a team, play hard for the franchise that paid your bills.

I honestly do not believe both Kobe and Nash purposely not defend Howard in the public. What I think happened is they saw things we didn't. Again, the team really didn't need Howard's drama.

ugh, I am so glad this Drama Queen is gone. geeze.

Last edited by jibikao on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm tired of seeing this idiot's name.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Personally... I believe there are other forces at work here with other ideas in mind.

The fact that news like this is now surfacing, only enforces the idea that the Lakers really didn't care for this player and didn't truly believe they could win multiple titles with DCoward as the premier player.

Eyes on the prize. 2014.
b.diddy2417
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:

+1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject:

In Jim/Mitch I trust. Do not discount them they got us CP3, Nash, and Dwight Howard although the pieces did not work out they essentially acquired 3 superstars in 2 years, how many organizations can do that besides Miami .
Alexisonfire26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:

Then ur name needs to be changed along with this thread...

Lakers, Rams, Giants, UCLA, Galaxy, Everton, USMNT
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject:

More Howard news..

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9468452/dwight-howard-wanted-end-kobe-bryant-era-los-angeles-lakers

Quote:
"How can it be Kobe's team and Dwight's team?" one source said. "It was about the passing of the torch."
Mr. Bryant
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
ramonashelburne: Sources: Dwight wanted Kobe to pass torch. Story with @espnsteinline http://t.co/j8GChxHP9y

don't need sources to realize that
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Amnestying Bryant and shopping Pau Gasol and Steve Nash to teams with salary-cap space would have allowed the Lakers to try to recruit Paul in free agency. But the Lakers, sources said, made it clear that the prospect of releasing Bryant via amnesty or simply trying to lay out a finite timetable on the end of his career with the franchise was not under consideration at all, believing those decisions should and would be made by Bryant.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard: "They didnt stand up for me when I was hurting, and Kobe didnt want to pass the torch and im a little BETCH!
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:

If you wanted the torch so bad Dwight you should have used your play on the court and TAKEN it. Stop waiting to be bloody spoon fed your entire NBA life.
followwind
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:

If the reports are true, what kind of an egomaniac is Dwight Howard? Sheesh.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:

I was a fan, and I'm tired of it as well. It's like a never ending story with this guy. Let's lock this up and move on. He really doesn't deserve our time or attention... let Houston fans deal with him now.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Getting rid of Kobe to let the "Dwight era" begin would've been arguably the worst move that this franchise has ever made. Luckily it wasn't even close to happening. at Coward thinking it would happen.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I bet Kobe wouldn't make those sames comments to someone like Carmelo that he did to Dwight about teaching him how to win.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 838, 839, 840 ... 842, 843, 844  Next
Page 839 of 844
Jump to: