Lakers in the News 12/30/12: Lakers' Jamison apologizes for critical comments toward D'Antoni
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 12/30/12: Lakers' Jamison apologizes for critical comments toward D'Antoni

Quote:
Lakers' Jamison apologizes for critical comments toward D'Antoni

Lakers forward Antawn Jamison hasn't played since Dec. 16. (Paul Buck / EPA)
By Mike Bresnahan

December 30, 2012, 2:21 p.m.

Antawn Jamison was angry after spending a fifth consecutive game at the end of the Lakers' bench.

He was less irritated after thinking about it for a couple of days.

"I'm kind of disappointed in myself that I kind of expressed my frustration the way I did, but I'm human," Jamison said Sunday. "We move forward and most importantly, we've got a game here [Tuesday] and whether it's me being a cheerleader and smiling or run up and down the court, I'm going to do everything that I can to be positive and make sure we continue to win games."

Jamison, 36, said he would not seek a trade from the team that signed him to a one-year, $1.4-million contract last summer.

"There's not going to be no rocking the boat here with myself or demanding a trade," he said. "I'm here for the long haul. I'm here to help this team win a championship."

Jamison was unhappy after sitting out the Lakers' 104-87 victory over Portland.

"My only thing is let me know why. I don’t think you go from starting and 30-something minutes to not in the rotation whatsoever," he told The Times on Friday. "And not explaining to me what exactly happened, that’s the toughest thing. There’s nothing you can do but be positive and support your teammates. The only reason I came here was they said I was going to play and to win a championship."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-antawn-jamison-apologizes-20121230,0,2771914.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard 'not as quick'
Updated: December 30, 2012, 11:42 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy made nice after a brief fallout in Orlando and have remained friends with regular text messages, often about Howard's new role with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Their continuing correspondence is frank, and Van Gundy has been open about his assessment of the center. Speaking in an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Van Gundy was equally blunt, saying Howard's April back surgery is a definite factor in the center's performance curve with his new team.

Shelburne: Lakers Seek Way Forward

Not so many months ago, there was a moment, or maybe even a few minutes, where Kobe Bryant seemed to lose faith, writes Ramona Shelburne. Story

"I don't think he looks quite as explosive or as quick as he has in the past," Van Gundy told the newspaper. "Now, he's still above almost everyone in the league at that size athletically, but he has not totally looked like himself to me."
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Stan Van Gundy still talks to Dwight Howard, thinks back is an issue
By Zach Harper | NBA Blogger
December 30, 2012 3:11 pm ET

Stan Van Gundy explains to Dwight Howard the perils of auto-correct. (Getty Images)

It seems like it was just months ago that Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy were pitted against each other as mortal enemies as Howard tried to find a way out of Orlando for both himself and his head coach. With the NBA world caught in a "Dwightmare," we saw coaches and players thrown under buses left and right in Orlando.

Since the two parted ways with the Magic, Stan Van Gundy has been offered a TV job and then had it taken away mysteriously and Dwight has joined the Los Angeles Lakers while helping contribute to a frustrating and unacceptable start to the Lakers' season. The LA Times tells us that Van Gundy believes Howard's back and adjustment to being a secondary option are the problems right now.

"I don't think he looks quite as explosive or as quick as he has in the past," said Van Gundy, who coached Howard in Orlando for five seasons before being fired in May. "Now, he's still above almost everyone in the league at that size athletically, but he has not totally looked like himself to me."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21474091/stan-van-gundy-still-talks-to-dwight-howard
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Antawn is a true professional, and I still firmly believe that he has something to offer to this team. I think he'll get a chance to break into the rotation before the season is over, and he'll have an opportunity to prove to D'Antoni that he can be a valuable asset off the bench.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers getting big assist numbers from Steve Nash, Pau Gasol
December 30, 2012, 2:34 p.m.

It's no coincidence that the Lakers are starting to get comfortable in their offense. Adding playmakers such as Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, both recently back from injury, has significantly changed the team's dynamics.

Over the last five games, Gasol has averaged 5.4 assists a game. To put that in perspective, starting point guards like Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic, Damian Lillard, Jeremy Lin, Mike Conley, Raymond Felton and Brandon Jennings have averaged 5.5-6.5 per game over the course of the season.

Nash has played in four games since returning from a leg injury, averaging 9.5 assists a game. Only Rajon Rondo (11.7) has averaged more this season.

The sample size is small for Gasol and Nash, but the Lakers have certainly improved with their return.

"We're trying to figure it out," said Nash. "I think we're growing more and more cohesive, but I've got a long way to go."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-big-assists-nash-gasol-20121230,0,6829469.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gasol adds 3-point shot to his arsenal

The Laker forward has hit 5 of 9 from long range in the past three games after taking just eight in the first 27.

By JANIS CARR / ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

LOS ANGELES – Pau Gasol sat in front of his locker without a shirt, one foot in an ice bucket and a smile spread across his face. Although his foot ached, the Lakers forward was feeling good about his performance Friday.

That's because for the first time in weeks, Gasol seemed comfortable in Coach Mike D'Antoni's offense, whether he was in the low post or out on the perimeter

"I'm figuring out where I'm going to get my opportunities and where I'm going to get my looks, whether they're 3s or anywhere else," Gasol said after posting 15 points, nine rebounds, five assists and three blocked shots. "I just have to keep working on positions where I'm going to be mostly during the games and try to be effective from whichever place."

His play isn't surprising. Everyone in the league knows the Spaniard can score from all points within 12 feet of the basket. Yet few know how effective he has become from beyond 22 feet.

Gasol has been practicing his 3-point shot and his work is paying off. He was 2 for 3 from beyond the arc against Portland — the third consecutive game he has buried a 3-pointer. He has landed 5 of 9 3-point shots over the past three games.

"He went from Pau Nowitzki to Pau Olajuwon, so that's pretty good in one day," Dwight Howard said.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/gasol-382064-lakers-bryant.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers’ Gasol Finds Role in Offense?
By HOOPSWORLD
Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Not that the three-point shot will ever be Lakers’ forward Pau Gasol’s trademark, but he did hit the first two of three attempts from beyond the three-point arc on Friday and has made five of nine three-point attempts in the Lakers’ last three games, two of them wins.

Gasol deserves credit for adjusting to a style in seemingly rapid time, even though the offensive system that Head Coach Mike D’Antoni runs clearly doesn’t favor his talents and has moved him out of the familiar post position now dominated by center Dwight Howard.

Gasol, who met with D’Antoni last week to discuss his role and their differences about it, had 15 points Friday in addition to nine rebounds, three blocks and five assists. It was the fifth straight game he’s dished out at least five assists, and he considered that the most significant stat on his score line.

“I like that a lot,” Gasol said. ”More so than the threes. I like getting my teammates easy looks and just moving the ball. It’s a good sign when your assists are up as a team. Everybody gets a chance, the open guy is going to get the ball. It gives you confidence, it gives you a good team flow and that’s what we’ve been doing. So we just need to continue to do that and I’m definitely going to continue to do it.”

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/lakers-gasol-finds-place-in-offense/#3SDxrYeevOUAfk6T.99
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Antawn is a true professional, and I still firmly believe that he has something to offer to this team. I think he'll get a chance to break into the rotation before the season is over, and he'll have an opportunity to prove to D'Antoni that he can be a valuable asset off the bench.

I think he'll be a factor in the playoffs. He needs to find his shooting touch again. He was really good as a starter. Hope he can get at least 10 minutes a game.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Great stuff Cha*n!
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:

class act jamison. Ive been rooting for him to get some playing time all along. Never followed his career, but from his demeanor and interviews, he always seemed like a good guy.

Hope Dantoni finds a way to utilize him.
kobemania3-16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@KamBrothers

Kobe basically said if he does Twitter, he wants to do it himself, as opposed to having someone else doing it for him. BK
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why he can't crack that lineup, given that he's a liability on defense.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:

he is not better than

metta
pau
hill

end.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Jamison gives up too much on the defensive end and does not run the court / athletic enough to keep up with Nash.
derekc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Jamison gives up too much on the defensive end and does not run the court / athletic enough to keep up with Nash.
He's a bad defender but he was one of the first guys up the court on fast breaks.
busym
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject:

When he gets to play, he will appreciate it. When he starts rainbowing a shower of 3 point shots he will be playing again.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, Jamison isn't as bad of a defender as you guys make it seem. He's not great, but he plays decently against the right matchups. Just don't ask him to guard a featured player and he'll be just fine.

Offensively, I think he's a fantastic fit for what we're running now. Forget the 3pt shooter, which comes and goes - Jamison is a fantastic cutter and can find a lot of open looks in this offense. The Lakers have changed dramatically from how they were playing prior to Nash's return, which is when Jamison went through his slump. I think he'd fit in better now.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
DHSC
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Haha spam!

Back on topic, I hope Jamison can get 10-15 mins a game somewhere.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe: Best Clippers team I've seen

Updated: December 30, 2012, 7:25 PM ET

By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Call it a sign of the times Sunday when Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, with 16 championship banners hanging behind him at the team's practice facility, admitted his team is looking up to the Los Angeles Clippers and their 16-game winning streak.

"They're real good and they're having a great streak, so we'll have to reckon with them and they're kind of setting the bar of where we need to get to," D'Antoni said.

The Clippers, who share the Staples Center with the Lakers, came into Sunday with a league best 24-6 record and a win streak that accounted for more victories than the 15-15 Lakers have had all season, but D'Antoni said he doesn't pay them more attention than he would any other elite NBA team.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Report. Blog

"As much as you notice Oklahoma City," D'Antoni said. "As much as you notice Miami. You watch. They're a very good basketball team but I don't get caught up that they're across town. You can't help where they are. But yeah, they're good."

When asked if the current Clippers team was the best he's seen in his 17 seasons as a professional basketball player in L.A., Kobe Bryant replied: "I don't think it's a question about it."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8794240/kobe-bryant-mike-dantoni-admit-los-angeles-lakers-looking-bar-set-los-angeles-clippers
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Antawn Jamison in 'for long haul'

Updated: December 30, 2012, 6:19 PM ET

By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Antawn Jamison apologized Sunday for comments made after the Lakers' 104-87 win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday and expressed his commitment to the team despite his recent lack of playing time.

"Really it's just a lot of frustration the last couple games but the most important thing here is us winning," said Jamison, who has received five straight Did Not Play-Coach's Decision and the Lakers have gone 4-1 in that stretch. "I understand the situation (Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni) is in where he has a rotation that's been doing that and I have to accept that. There's not going to be no rocking the boat here with myself or demanding a trade.

"I'm here for the long haul and I'm here to help this team win a championship. So, if the opportunity comes up again, I just have to be patient and be ready for that opportunity to present itself. Until then, we're winning. That's the most important thing and we're doing it at a pretty good level right now, so I'm just pulling for my teammates and smiling. It's tough not playing, but most importantly, the reason why I'm here is to win."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8794142/antawn-jamison-regrets-comments-los-angeles-lakers-long-haul
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Cha*n.

Nice reads today.

I think Kobe is right that is the best Clipper team in their history (not saying much though lol)

And I feel for tawn. Not even getting time in blowout wins? MDA has to stick to a rotation I get that he likes it short 7-8. But in blowouts, give them some PT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Practice Dominated by Clippers' Talk

After a day off on Saturday, the Los Angeles Lakers had a full practice on Sunday in preparation for a new year of games. In the upcoming week, the Lakers host the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday, and ‘travel’ to face the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday.

Not surprisingly, not a single question was directed at Tuesday’s opponents, the Philadelphia 76ers. Instead, the only opponents the media was interested in discussing were the Los Angeles Clippers.

When discussing the Clippers, head coach Mike D’Antoni put the cross-town rivals in the same sentence with Oklahoma City and Miami, last season’s NBA finalists. D’Antoni went onto say, “They’re real good, and they’re having a great streak.” He continued, “They’re kind of setting the bar of where we got to get to.”

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/triple-threat/Los-Angeles-Lakers-Practice-Kobe-Bryant-Clippers-185236932.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks Cha*n.

Nice reads today.

I think Kobe is right that is the best Clipper team in their history (not saying much though lol)

And I feel for tawn. Not even getting time in blowout wins? MDA has to stick to a rotation I get that he likes it short 7-8. But in blowouts, give them some PT.

Thanks to you wolf. I feel for tawn also and Kobe is right on about the Clippers (made by David Stern)
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:

What or Who is a Clipper?
M. Hicks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks Cha*n.

Nice reads today.

I disagree. For a guy who has been a starter/rotation player all of these years, after benching him for several games and not talking to him about it, putting him in a garbage-time situation might be perceived as an act of disrespect.

He will get another chance before the season's out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: