Lakers in the News 12/17/12: "Pau Gasol, Steve Nash practice"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 12/17/12: "Pau Gasol, Steve Nash practice"

Quote:

Pau Gasol, Steve Nash practice
Updated: December 17, 2012, 7:57 PM ET
By Ramona Shelburne | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol and guard Steve Nash both returned to practice on Monday and appear close to returning to game action.

Gasol, who has been out for close to two weeks resting tendinitis in both knees, said he would play Tuesday night against the Charlotte Bobcats if he feels good after the Lakers' morning shootaround.

Nash has been out since suffering a non-displaced fracture in his left leg Oct. 31. He said Monday that he's hopeful to "play by Christmas" if his leg responds well to the increased activity and he's able to get back into game shape.

Gasol It's been two weeks, it's been a while. I miss playing and I miss being out there and competing with my team. My knees are not in pain as they were. So if there's no need to miss another game, I won't miss another game.
” -- Lakers forward Pau Gasol

The news could not have come at a better time for the struggling Lakers (11-14) who sit 12th in a Western Conference they were expected to dominate despite finishing a a four-game road trip with wins in Washington on Friday and Sunday in Philadelphia.

"It's been two weeks, it's been a while. I miss playing and I miss being out there and competing with my team," Gasol said. "My knees are not in pain as they were. So if there's no need to miss another game, I won't miss another game."

It's been a lot longer for Nash, the longest absence due to injury of his career. And while he's a bit further away than Gasol, he was just as excited to finally get back on the court, even in a limited capacity -- the Lakers only did defensive drills and 5-on-0 scrimmaging with no contact on Monday.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8756652/pau-gasol-steve-nash-return-practice-los-angeles-lakers
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers struggles could help Phoenix Suns
Paul Coro, USA TODAY Sports5:10p.m. EST December 17, 2012

It takes very little prompting for Phoenix Suns fans to root against the Los Angeles Lakers.

A glimpse of purple and gold uniforms or Kobe Bryant can suffice as reason to pull for whoever the Lakers are facing. This season, the Suns' motivation for the Lakers' frustration would be an unexpected draft lottery pick.

When Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby accommodated Steve Nash's wish to be a Laker with a sign-and-trade deal, part of his stipulation with the Lakers was that the Lakers first-round pick owed to the Suns after this season be unprotected. When predictions of a Lakers 70-win season and dynasty were unfolding in July with the additions of Nash and Dwight Howard, the notion that the Lakers would miss the playoffs this season seemed as far-fetched as an "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" plot.

Twenty-five games into the season, the Lakers (11-14) have a two-game winning streak and are still in 12th place in the Western Conference and barely holding off the Suns by 1 1/2 games.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2012/12/17/los-angeles-lakers-struggles-could-help-phoenix-suns-get-a-better-draft-pick/1775615/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers: Week 7 in review

By Eric Pincus

December 17, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

The Lakers seemingly hit rock bottom with a four-game losing streak but pulled out with two consecutive wins on the road to finish Week 7. With help on the way (Pau Gasol and Steve Nash), are the Lakers through the worst of it?

Despite the record, statistically the Lakers have a lot of positives, including field-goal percentage, rebounding and point differential. Where the team struggled most was on defense.

With losing came finger-pointing. Were the Lakers not giving the right amount of effort? Could it just be simply the talent gap because of injuries?

Dwight Howard admitted he still wasn't quite himself after off-season surgery. Andrew Bynum, the center the Lakers gave up to get Howard, has yet to play a single game this season because of knee troubles. Although the team's 11-14 record isn't impressive, where would the Lakers be if they still had Bynum?

To that end, Howard told critics to settle down.

Despite the record, the Lakers were still listed by Bovada as a top-three favorite to win the NBA title. Of course if the team doesn't make the playoffs altogether, the Phoenix Suns will get the Lakers' lottery pick.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-week-7-in-review-20121217,0,6262645.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Rumors: Lakers Considering Trading Pau Gasol to Raptors or Timberwolves?

Share this with a friend
Follow us and never miss a story!

By Alex Groberman, Mon, December 17, 2012
Mitch Kupchak has made it pretty clear that he won’t trade Pau Gasol any time soon. Be it because the Los Angeles Lakers genuinely want to see how playing with Steve Nash impacts his production, or simply because the offers they have fetched for Gasol’s services thus far have been unimpressive, team brass is standing pretty firm on not moving their talented power forward.

That being said, rumors are still continuing to flow. And seeing as the Lakers have already technically traded Gasol once (last year, in the infamous vetoed Chris Paul deal), you can’t really fault folks for presuming that they will do it again.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nba/nba-rumors-lakers-trade-pau-gasol-raptors-or-timberwolves
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash: “Hopefully I can play by Christmas”
Kurt Helin Dec 17, 2012, 5:05 PM EST

AP
The Lakers may be close to getting all their stars on the court at once. Then we can finally see how good (or not) this team actually is.

Pau Gasol could return on Tuesday and now Steve Nash thinks he could be back on the court in time for the Lakers Christmas Day rematch with the New York Knicks.

From the twitter of Laker.com reporter Mike Trudell:

Mike Trudell

@LakersReporter
Steve Nash: "Hopefully I can play by Christmas." Said he's finally starting to get excited about progress. But certainly still sore.
17 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Mike Trudell

@LakersReporter
The next step for Nash is a contact practice/scrimmage. His goal is to continue to practice/get treatment all week & hopes it responds well.
17 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/17/steve-nash-hopefully-i-can-play-by-christmas/
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Cha*n.

Should Nash/Gasol back soon !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks Cha*n.

Should Nash/Gasol back soon !

Quote:

Sources: Barring setback, Steve Nash eyes Saturday return to Lakers

Steve Nash looks on during a Lakers game. (AP) Steve Nash is eyeing a return to the Los Angeles Lakers' lineup Saturday against the Golden State Warriors if practice goes well this week, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Nash, 38, had a light practice workload Monday. He has missed 23 games this season after suffering a fractured left fibula on Nov. 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers might have three days' worth of workouts in between Tuesday's game against the Charlotte Bobcats and Saturday against the Warriors.

The Lakers originally thought the injury was just a bone bruise, but an MRI showed worse. Nash appeared set to return about a month ago after his fibula healed, but he had a setback due to a nerve irritation.

He has yet to play for new Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni, who coached him with the Phoenix Suns. The Lakers are also without backup point guard Steve Blake due to an abdominal injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--barring-setback--steve-nash-eyes-saturday-return-to-lakers-024051606.html
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject:

Great news, we need the Nash and Gasol combo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: