OFFICIAL PAU GASOL THREAD (Lakers Retiring His Jersey)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Whoever the Lakers sign isn’t gonna get many minutes. It would be nice to have an extra big to give a few minutes here and there. Pau could be perfect for that. Give him a non-guaranteed contract in case the Lakers need to sign someone else later.

You sign players who can fill in during injuries not washed up players.
teddyblue0902
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I can't see Pau landing with anyone to be honest. If he could shoot with a little more range, maybe. But there's not much room in the current NBA for an aged big man that plays below the rim, can't defend pick and roll, but still can't stretch the floor with his shooting either.

His best chance at an NBA contract is a nostalgia tour with the Lakers, and I'm sure he knows this, which is why he's saying this stuff in the media and basically begging for a roster spot come February. Can't see it happening.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I want to sign him but gave up on hope that we would when we decided to bring back cook. Definitely needed cook for those 3 total minutes he will play next season!
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject:

He definitely deserves a spot with this franchise, I prefer that it be on the bench or in the front office.......
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

teddyblue0902 wrote:
I can't see Pau landing with anyone to be honest. If he could shoot with a little more range, maybe. But there's not much room in the current NBA for an aged big man that plays below the rim, can't defend pick and roll, but still can't stretch the floor with his shooting either.

His best chance at an NBA contract is a nostalgia tour with the Lakers, and I'm sure he knows this, which is why he's saying this stuff in the media and basically begging for a roster spot come February. Can't see it happening.

Pau can shoot though mid-range and even some 3's, he just hasn't taken many but ya the defense is long gone with him.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Pau did injured himself Fall 2018 and played with it making him look slow and ineffective.

Pau Gasol has not appeared in a game since March 2019 and has undergone two surgeries since then to repair stress fractures in the navicular bone in his left foot, he told ESPN. Doctors first discovered the stress reaction in the fall of 2018, when Gasol was beginning his third season with the San Antonio Spurs, he said.

Now after 2 surgeries he feels great to make one last run with his brother. Lebron make Frye deadly option, I cant see why Pau with all his skill could not do the same.

Highlight before the injury

Like I said before, I am sure the front office will do there due diligence if Pau has anything left in the tank. Pau even at his age >>>> Dedmon check the stat and skill each posses.
teddyblue0902
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

dj1337 wrote:
teddyblue0902 wrote:

Pau can shoot though mid-range and even some 3's, he just hasn't taken many but ya the defense is long gone with him.

Mid range maybe but no way he's a 3 point shooter. Just because he began taking some shots from behind the arc during his last stint with SA doesn't mean he's someone who can stretch the floor effectively.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

8-10 minute fill in, when we need another perimeter big. For the minimum and the nostalgia, works for me as a 14-15th guy.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Having him would help make our future franchise guy AD even deadlier. It's a win-win situation for the Lakers, it's not like he is getting the 8th-14th spot, ffs he would be the 15th guy... Dudley is great for chemistry for the current season, Pau would be great for the storyline and the coaching, I can't see any better signing. And just the extra media attention would probably net the Lakers more money than his salary
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
Having him would help make our future franchise guy AD even deadlier. It's a win-win situation for the Lakers, it's not like he is getting the 8th-14th spot, ffs he would be the 15th guy... Dudley is great for chemistry for the current season, Pau would be great for the storyline and the coaching, I can't see any better signing. And just the extra media attention would probably net the Lakers more money than his salary

Maybe Pau can pass on some of his post game to AD.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Maybe Pau can pass on some of his post game to AD.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:

Then hire him as a big man's coach, not as a player.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Pau's lifetime 3 point shooting is 37%.

Granted it's only on about 500 attempts... but I have more faith in Pau's three than Kuzma's
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

I believe the plan is to hire him as a player and transition him to big man's coach.
If he is done, he will transition to coach this season. If he has something left, as he wants to play in Tokyo, he'll give us some valuable minutes and then become a coach. Win-win scenario for the Lakers.

If Dennis is starting, having someone to help the bench playmaking would be nice, and his stat show more passing and 3p in the last years.

At this point, it'd be disappointing if they do not give him a chance, the narrative is too fitting.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe cut Alfonzo McKinnie to make room for him?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I believe the plan is to hire him as a player and transition him to big man's coach.
If he is done, he will transition to coach this season. If he has something left, as he wants to play in Tokyo, he'll give us some valuable minutes and then become a coach. Win-win scenario for the Lakers.

If Dennis is starting, having someone to help the bench playmaking would be nice, and his stat show more passing and 3p in the last years.

At this point, it'd be disappointing if they do not give him a chance, the narrative is too fitting.

He'll probably only play if someone gets hurt. But I think he could show AD, Trez, Kuzma some things in practice and reviewing film. Maybe this is the only way we could get him. As a player not a coach.

It's funny, last offseason people said "just bring Rondo back as a coach". Maybe Pau will surprise us as well.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject:

I just realized — we have 14 players signed now, do we even have enough money for a 15th? And, if so, would that constrain us in the buyout market later in the season?
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I just realized — we have 14 players signed now, do we even have enough money for a 15th? And, if so, would that constrain us in the buyout market later in the season?

Not currently. Later in the season, when the Vet minimum gets prorated, the Lakers may be able to sign a player.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers can waive Cook if they want to bring in another player in the 14th spot. Then later this year they can add a buyout player.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
You guys act like our last guys on the bench like Dudley and Kostas played much at all last yr.

With the last spot for Pau... give it to him.

Why should the Lakers spend another Mill on players who can’t play?

Pau is a HOF and the way he left the Lakers leaves a bad taste. He should be brought back and given a proper farewell.

Also, this franchise is not the Celtics. The Lakers take care of their stars.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Car54 wrote:
AD23 wrote:
You guys act like our last guys on the bench like Dudley and Kostas played much at all last yr.

With the last spot for Pau... give it to him.

Why should the Lakers spend another Mill on players who can’t play?

Pau is a HOF and the way he left the Lakers leaves a bad taste. He should be brought back and given a proper farewell.

Also, this franchise is not the Celtics. The Lakers take care of their stars.

Not to mention how Pau has stepped up and being a father figure to Kobe's kids.

Coach Wooden
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

If he has anything left in the tank I'm sure the FO brings him in. His locker room presence and knowledge that he can pass down to AD would be amazing, not to mention he is a laker great and could transition into a coaching role if we need the spot come buyout time
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
8-10 minute fill in, when we need another perimeter big. For the minimum and the nostalgia, works for me as a 14-15th guy.

Same here. FWIW I don't see spot 14-15 getting even 8 minutes per game; more like 5 minutes every 3rd game or so, as needed. I mean, this is even below Dudley on the roster and how often does he play?

This is just NOT a crucial decision here. It's up to the Rob/Vogel/maybe Lebron. If they decide to do this, Pau can fill a spot role on an as-need basis and spend a majority of time in dapper street clothes and help coach/support the players who do have key roles. That's what 14th roster spot players do. Nice touch by the Lakers if he can share his last season with Marc, both in Laker uniforms.

Still, if the Lakers have other plans I trust their judgment.
vedanta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Pau's lifetime 3 point shooting is 37%.

Granted it's only on about 500 attempts... but I have more faith in Pau's three than Kuzma's

Actually, believe it or not, while on the Spurs I remember he had the best "3 point shooting percentage for an entire season" of all time (!!) among those with a respectable number of attempts, with nearly 54%. He scored 0,9 threes per game, so he would only have needed 0,1 more per game for his record to become official.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

I read that teams will be allowed 16 players this year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 71 of 73
Jump to: