Shaq takes shot at Kareem in his new book, kareem states his rebuttal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilake24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Shaq takes shot at Kareem in his new book, kareem states his rebuttal

Quote:
"Kareem was never around," O'Neal wrote in "Shaq Uncut: My Story," co-written by Jackie MacMullan. "And, whenever I did see him, he usually ignored me. The disappointing thing to me was, being in LA all those years and trying to fill those shoes, I would have liked to have a conversation with him."

Quote:

"He'd say hello, but I was looking for, "Hey, do this" or "Watch out for that,'" O'Neal said. "He knew everyone was comparing me to him. He knew better than anyone what I was up against, but he gave me nothing."

In response to O’Neal’s declarations from his book Abdul-Jabbar responded with a statement of his own, which he posted on his official Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kaj
Quote:
“As a pro I never approached Shaq because I thought he was pretty successful dunking everything and I assumed he didn’t want my help. Additionally, I was never on the coaching staff of any of his teams. I was never unfriendly to him and I would talk to him, but Shaq was enjoying his success, doing it his way.”

and there are more from his facebook, talking about he actually did teach shaq when he played for Louisiana State, and shaq's father thought shaq didn't need to learn the famous skyhook

Last edited by chilake24 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Shaq...nobody was comparing you to Kareem. There was no comparison.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:

KAJ didnt talk to anyone, what makes Shaq so special.
Fishlakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Shaq is just trying to make more money to pay for his multiple ex wives and kids. As much as some of his quotes are interesting even though mostly lies its best not to get sucked into his B.S.

I say this respectfully, Shaq deserves his place amongst laker greats, I just don't feel the need to pad his pockets after how he trashed us walking out the door and out of town. He broke our hearts just like an ex-girlfriend who you will never forget but has moved on.
Game 3 Victory in Denver . Mostly they were talking about Fisher's speech, the kind that might one day be put on T-shirts and repeated on the corner of 11th and Figueroa, words fit for a parade, his Lakers stepping into their destiny. L.A. Times 2009
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Who does this guy think HASN'T slighted him?
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Who does this guy think HASN'T slighted him?

Seriously! Shaq is going right down the list. When is Wade's turn? MJ? Bill Russel (that would be interesting)? Ha!!

Boy, I know Shaq loves the attention, but he sure seems bitter. A lot of people wonder what some of us LA fans have against Shaq, when he helped us bring three wonderful championships. Our problem is that he could've brought 5-7. It's not that we don't appreciate him, but we feel like he squandered a couple of rings there.

Shaq's problem with Kareem is the same problem he has with Kobe. Kareem and Kobe are genius level artists of basketball. Shaq was not the artisitic dominant center...he was the Lebron dominant center. In retrospect, the skill of the artist will often be remembered over the brute force of the hulking giant...it just makes for a better story.

We look at Kobe and Kareem and marvel at the amount of dedication, skill, and hard work that went into their accomplishments. We look at Shaq and marvel at his gifted physical size and agility, but we don't see that very human and sympathetic quality of working hard to reach your dream. It was basically just a countdown until he got too fat and old for us to marvel at anything anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah this book just further ruins Shaq's reputation. Regarding KAJ though, I don't think Shaq got any different treatment than anyone else. That's Kareem's personality.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Shaq thinks everyone should be like him. Running off at the mouth, trying to be everyone's best friend.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject:

This autobiography seems really (bleep), you'd think the highlights would be actual news that we didn't know about already...
grimmz4764
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Anyone find the irony here in that Shaq was never a mentor to Kobe when he was young, and instead felt threatened by him?
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't really understand why Shaq would expect KAJ to show him anything. As big of an ego Shaq has, I'm pretty sure KAJ has a big ego also. This man is one of the most decorated basketball player and arguably the GOAT. He will not come to you. You need tips, go ask him. Did Hakeem call Kobe up one day and said, hey you should do it this way. Nope Kobe called him up and flew down to Houston to learn from the man. That's respect.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:

So all shaq did was talk (bleep) in his autobio? Not surprising
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Refuttal?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
I don't really understand why Shaq would expect KAJ to show him anything. As big of an ego Shaq has, I'm pretty sure KAJ has a big ego also. This man is one of the most decorated basketball player and arguably the GOAT. He will not come to you. You need tips, go ask him. Did Hakeem call Kobe up one day and said, hey you should do it this way. Nope Kobe called him up and flew down to Houston to learn from the man. That's respect.

Yep. I agree.

Everyone wants to be the greatest of all time, but only a few people have what it takes. Sometimes wanting to be the greatest means stepping off your high horse and begging for advice. Unfortunately for Shaq, asking for advice meant disrespecting yourself. This is what some call "idiocy."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Shaq is just showing his true colors, a self-pitiful man-child who would rather blame everyone else but himself for his faults. Just about everyone has moved on with their grudges but Shaq would rather hang onto them like a petulant child.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Shaq is just showing his true colors, a self-pitiful man-child who would rather blame everyone else but himself for his faults. Just about everyone has moved on with their grudges but Shaq would rather hang onto them like a petulant child.

He could've taken the high road and let bygones be bygones, but all these trash talking is very disappointing. And to think he was one of my favorite Lakers in his heyday.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Shaq takes shot at Kareem in his new book, kareem states his rebuttal

Would have, could have and should have. I guess that is the only thing retired old farts can do these days - blah, blah, blah, STFU Shaq.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Shaq leaves The Magic. Shaq blasts The Magic.
Shaq leaves The Lakers. Shaq blasts The Lakers.
Shaq leaves The Heat. Shaq blasts The Heat.
Shaq leaves The Suns. Shaq blasts The Suns.
Shaq leaves The Cavs. Shaq blasts The Cavs.
Shaq leaves The Celtics. Shaq blasts The Celtics.

Anyone sense a pattern forming here? He just left the NBA. What the hell did you think he was going to do?

Even better for him, there's no basketball going on right now. The timely leaked excerpts only have to compete with tiring updates on CBA negotiations and random charity games. Every day that passes with no games, he's selling another few thousand books at the very least.

By the time the games do start, he's going to be out-Barkley-ing Barkley on TNT.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:

another legend other than Kobe don't like to talk to Shaq. lol
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Anyone sense a pattern forming here? He just left the NBA. What the hell did you think he was going to do?

Even better for him, there's no basketball going on right now. The timely leaked excerpts only have to compete with tiring updates on CBA negotiations and random charity games. Every day that passes with no games, he's selling another few thousand books at the very least.

By the time the games do start, he's going to be out-Barkley-ing Barkley on TNT.

Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject:

Many NBA players like to drum up fake beefs for publicity and watch the press bite. Don't believe the hype.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject:

That is just Shaq trying to sell more books, he has to support his ex wife and her much younger Boyfriend.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He could've taken the high road and let bygones be bygones, but all these trash talking is very disappointing. And to think he was one of my favorite Lakers in his heyday.
fallout, NOW do you see why we were saying that IF he gets his jersey hung up, he needs to wait til after KOBE.

this dude is bitter beyond belief.

and it has everything to do with his childhood being a military kid having to move around a lot. he has to and wants to make friends quickly. but by being the class clown, jockster, fun guy, great talent. he thinks you will love him. the thing is he has never met a kobe or a kareem. these guys as someone said above are just as GIFTED and also skilled because they are hoop geniuses. not that shaq was a dummie, he learned from hakeem. hakeem took him under his wing after destroying him in the finals. but thats after shaq ASKED hakeem.

i'll give shaq that much credit, he would listen to his elders. he wasnt Kandi from the clips stupid.

but shaq forgot to state, i didnt ask cap. he asked hakeem and hakeem answered. if he would've asked cap. cap would've told him. "FIX YOUR FT's".
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Anyone sense a pattern forming here? He just left the NBA. What the hell did you he was going to do?

Well he hasn't really blasted the Cavs or Celtics. He seemed to leave both on relatively good terms. Your point still stands though.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

High road??? Shaq wouldn't know a high road if he was standing under one. He is what he's always been.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: