Pat Riley vs. Kobe Bryant

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Pat Riley vs. Kobe Bryant

Somewhat off topic, but I wanted to ask the board a question that I have been pondering in light of this whole episode with Shaq versus Pat Riley earlier this decade and also Riley and his practices getting to Wade.

Some of the opinions are that if he replaces Spoelstra and brings that same ideal back to the Heat, Wade, Bosh and especially LBJ, will not take kindly to it.

So, the question, what if Riley coached Kobe, what would Kobe's reaction be to Riley's practice and workaholic methods? Someone who's work ethic and dedication is, by most accounts, unmatched in NBA history. Wouldn't Riley and Kobe be the ultimate match made in heaven? OR would Riley and his practices break even the most ardent worker in Kobe? OR would Kobe blow the socks off Riley to the point even Riley was shocked to what lenghts and just how hard Kobe worked that there was no amount of work he could bestow on this legend, that he would ever break?

And finally, what type of team would we see in that case?
Makave7iThaDon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Kobe didnt even practice last year. Prolly wouldn't of gone over too well.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson had a tremendous work ethic and dedication to the game similar to Kobe. Magic and Riley got along just fine and they won 4 rings together. I am sure Kobe would get along just fine with Riley.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I doubt there would be a problem.

Kobe didn't practice much to preserve him for games.

Considering the common comment from anyone who first deals with Kobe up close when it comes to basketball is how hard he works, I doubt he would make a different impression on Riley.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Otoh, Riley's taskmaster style even got worn out here. I don't think Kobe would have had a problem with the 3 hr practice marathons, but I don't think he'd be geeked about them either. Scott is a friend of Riles and is like him (in style) as a coach, but he himself grew weary of the 24/7 intensity, especially after he blew his hammy in that June minicamp. Pat ground down the starters in 89 when they were getting choppy in terms of intensity and defense. I wonder if Kobe resting that knee would have even been an option last year.

Another thing to chew: there was a point at which Jackson and Kobe got stale on each other and Phil is supposed to be laid back compared to Riles vis a vis players running things the coach's way. Trust me, if Kobe did the "yap, yap, yap" hand motion at Riles, it wouldn't have been ignored. Same goes for Horry and every other Laker who told Phil to buzz off when he went at them as they were walking towards the bench. Mason had problems of that nature with Riley and he was gone.

In terms of their mental approach to the sport, Kobe may have been a better match for Riley than with Jackson. There wouldn't be any of the "all-my-eggs-in-one-superstar's-basket" stuff that soured his relationship w/ Phil by 2004. But would Kobe and Riley walk off in the sunset after 15 years together? Possible, but not definite. Magic may have been his guy for 11 years, but Riley was implicitly approved by Magic in 81. They had ties on a -personal- level.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Kobe would have just sent Pat Riley this report from the medical lab:

ZERO % of FAT.

Any problem?
Kobetide
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Pat will respect Kobe because Kobe outworks Riley. With those people, it's all about respect and work ethic. The harder your work with proved success, the more authority you get.

If that does not work out, then Kobe stays and anyone who challenges him is out, just like Shaq.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject:

This makes me wonder, what sorts of things has Pat Riley said about Kobe? Is he a fan? Is he a detractor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Pat loves Kobe. Loves him. Was on the verge of calling Kobe an equal to Michael in an interview before a game with the Heat in '06, IIRC. This at a time when the "in-thing" was to bash Kobe, paraphrasing of course, "In my eyes, he's the same as Michael. *pauses while I realizes what he just said and how much flak he may catch for it* Well, Michael will always be the best of the best of the best, but you have to put Kobe right there beside of Michael." He then went on to talk about how where Kobe was is where D-Wade and Bron and Carmelo were all trying to reach.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Riley wouldn't break Kobe, but he'd most certainly have lost Shaq in the first 8 years of Kobe's career, resulting in Riley being fired on the spot. Assuming Riley comes after Shaq leaves, and Pau never makes it through 2 practices.

Riley would have fit Kobe, but Kobe's had some of the least self-motivating teammates the game has ever seen. Shaq, Horry, Pau, LO, (Kobe's best individually skilled teammates to date) etc - none have been hard workers or guys that went all out every night. Riles' style would have grown thin on those guys. Riley gets 3-5 more wins out of LA teams per regular season, but loses more in the playoffs due to his stringent coaching style.

Hell, you seen what a month of hard work did to Pau's game. Before that, it was an extra 2 rounds that killed Pau's game and heart for the '08 Finals.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject:

BobbyJ wrote:
Magic Johnson had a tremendous work ethic and dedication to the game similar to Kobe. Magic and Riley got along just fine and they won 4 rings together. I am sure Kobe would get along just fine with Riley.

That's not what I heard. At the beginning sure, but why do you think Riles left? I heard that Magic and the other guys were burning out with him.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Riley wouldn't break Kobe, but he'd most certainly have lost Shaq in the first 8 years of Kobe's career, resulting in Riley being fired on the spot. Assuming Riley comes after Shaq leaves, and Pau never makes it through 2 practices.

Riley would have fit Kobe, but Kobe's had some of the least self-motivating teammates the game has ever seen. Shaq, Horry, Pau, LO, (Kobe's best individually skilled teammates to date) etc - none have been hard workers or guys that went all out every night. Riles' style would have grown thin on those guys. Riley gets 3-5 more wins out of LA teams per regular season, but loses more in the playoffs due to his stringent coaching style.

Hell, you seen what a month of hard work did to Pau's game. Before that, it was an extra 2 rounds that killed Pau's game and heart for the '08 Finals.

In that respect, I wonder how a Lakers team with Kobe and Mourning (instead of Shaq) would have looked.

Shaq may have been more dominant, but Zo was an incredibly hard worker. I think Kobe would have LOVED to been around Zo and his passion, instead of Shaq and his whole act.

Could a Kobe/Zo-lead team beat Portland in '00?
showboatcornbreadtruth
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject:

I remember when I was young hearing Buck talk about holding practice at the hieght of Showtime. He said the team was so coheisive that sometimes Riles would let them run practice and Riles would not participate. That would NEVER happen with todays average players. B_P has a great question. Zo and Kobe? I know Shaq is more dominate than Zo, but they are not in the same conversation when it comes to defense. I have loved Zo even at G-Town.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

I thought the same thing about LO until I remembered that he played for Riley in 2003-04 and was the best player on the team most of the season. Pat LOVES LO. Even tried to steal him from us in the summer of 2009.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

In that respect, I wonder how a Lakers team with Kobe and Mourning (instead of Shaq) would have looked.

Shaq may have been more dominant, but Zo was an incredibly hard worker. I Kobe would have LOVED to been around Zo and his passion, instead of Shaq and his whole act.

I've lived in South Florida most of my life so I have a soft spot for Zo but I can't say we would have beaten the Trailblazers in 2000 or the Kings in 2002 (assuming he never has his kidney issues) with Zo instead of Shaq. Zo was a very, very good player but he wasn't on Shaq's level at all. Both of those teams gave us everything we could handle WITH Shaq. And I'm not sure about the type of big game player Zo is. All of those losses to the Knicks are definitely a stain on his career.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
B_P wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Shaq may have been more dominant, but Zo was an incredibly hard worker. I Kobe would have LOVED to been around Zo and his passion, instead of Shaq and his whole act.

I've lived in South Florida most of my life so I have a soft spot for Zo but I can't say we would have beaten the Trailblazers in 2000 or the Kings in 2002 (assuming he never has his kidney issues) with Zo instead of Shaq. Zo was a very, very good player but he wasn't on Shaq's level at all. Both of those teams gave us everything we could handle WITH Shaq. And I'm not sure about the type of big game player Zo is. All of those losses to the Knicks are definitely a stain on his career.

I like Zo, but Shaq was the man. You couldn't take Shaq off of that team for any other player in the league at that time and expect them to be as good. Shaq was the best player on the planet during that 3 peat.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:

Zo plus another couple pieces, sure. Zo innplace of Shaq on THAT (bleep) ass merry minimum team? Hell no they ain't winning. I live Fish, Fox, Shaw, Gump, and all those guys, but they didn't deserve to start on a championship team or be key contributors. They were, however, thanks to playin alongside the game's greatest combination ever.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

No way. Kobe wasn't good enough at that point to be a #1 on a championship team. Zo would have played hard and busted his butto on defense, but he was no Shaq.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: