NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 2/28 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:
(Sigh) First, let me say... I can't tell you how much I've appreciated these post game reports over the years... But really... You're killin' me with the intro's. I know, I know you just tried to spice it up this season... but, it's a,lot of sometimes incoherent reading to get to your take on the game. Like I said I appreciate you efforts and dedication. But I miss the days of a quick general summary to set it up, followed by just the facts. Becoming a little too comic booky and Sci-Fi.

(Sigh) First, let me say... I can't tell you how much I appreciate people being able to state their opinions freely on LG.

That being said; you're killing me with your lack of understanding that these sci-fi comic book stories are something most of us look forward to after every game, there is an inside story to many of these tales you just might not understand without knowing the teams, players, quotes, etc.., and that for most of us this is a one-of-a-kind analysis you can't find anywhere else; an integral part of LG.

If you want a brief summary why don't you just read the Yahoo Sports? They're light and superficial enough to be easily understood. Or perhaps you could just look at a box score if you're in such a rush?
macwebb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:

Johnny Quid wrote:
davidse wrote:
one thing that phil keeps missing and doesn't use enough is artest in the post.
we "tried" to post him up twice last night.
that's it - twice. and he didn't even get the ball once.

the result ?

2 fouls on melo.

i don't know how a coach can see that and not go to it again and again.
i would sacrafice some of my normal offense to go there - specificaly in the first half, and get the other team's star sf in foul trouble.
maybe phil is saving it for the playoffs or something - that's the only excuse i can find for him.

but if he can't see this, if he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity to get the other team's best scorer out of the game - then i have a real issue with phil.

That's a very good point you made. I really want us go to him in the post atleast when he plays with the 2nd unit. He's been shooting like 50% of his shots from the 3 and he's a much much better player than that.

Its upto Phil to tap into his abilities in a much efficient way.

I have a feeling (a hope) that Phil is holding some things back a little, not tipping his hand so to speak so that he can implement them in the playoffs...When things with Kobe are sputtering, a nice post up by Ron would be ideal to make Carmello work on the defensive end..We'll see...

Loved the SHU reference DB...Melo certainly got "The Treatment" from Ron...As Kobe stated, Ron earned his $$$ today...I love Ariza, but I don't think he works Melo over like that...
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject:

Thank you DB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject:

Nice video breakdown of Kobe's fourth quarter by Kevin Arnovitz and the Kamenetzky Brothers (ESPN LA):

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/3778/kobes-very-good-very-bad-day-a-video-breakdown
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Some real-life Tenacious D in the 2nd Half, led by RonRon and LO.

Little unsung moments: Take away a poor shooting game by Kobe and the rest of team shot 33-62 (53%). Bynum's hit on Lawson took him out of the game.

I liked how Phil sat LO when he wasn't playing smartly in the 1st half and then sat Pau when he wasn't aggressive in the 4thQ. When re-inserted into the lineup, those two played better. Although when Phil subbed out Kobe in mid-4th, the Laker offense stalled and the Nugs went on an 8-0 run to tie the game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH - Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I don't like talking to a wall. I know it's probably not going to be something everyone wants to read. And I think it's probably difficult for any of those who happen to come along in the middle of the ongoing story (not your case, I know). They probably say what the ##@!?

I do, however, get soooo much positive feedback on those that I would hate to kill something that people enjoy. It would certainly be a lot easier for me to ditch it if that's what people wanted, but I think the majority don't (just based on the feedback). I figure for every one that makes a comment there are probably 10 that agree with it who don't make a comment. So I know there are obviously a few people with your opinion. I hope others would voice their opinion, as well, because I do this for you guys. If you want something changed, tell me.

What I've tried to do was make it easy for someone to pick up the regular start of the game story by skipping right to the part after those few sentences of italics. That way they can skip the first few paragraphs. Maybe I should ital the whole fictional intro? Or maybe post the score or something in bold where the game story starts? I don't mind if people skip to the parts they like, that's what is great about this format is that people interested in even just a couple players can go right to that section.

Obviously, if everybody skips the intro, then tell me. It would save me a good chunk of time. But I'm sure from all the comments and PMs that's not the case. I just need to maybe craft the format a little better so you can read it the way it used to be...because that is still there.
THE_TWELFTH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
THE_TWELFTH - Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it. I don't like talking to a wall. I know it's probably not going to be something everyone wants to read. And I think it's probably difficult for any of those who happen to come along in the middle of the ongoing story (not your case, I know). They probably say what the ##@!?

I do, however, get soooo much positive feedback on those that I would hate to kill something that people enjoy. It would certainly be a lot easier for me to ditch it if that's what people wanted, but I think the majority don't (just based on the feedback). I figure for every one that makes a comment there are probably 10 that agree with it who don't make a comment. So I know there are obviously a few people with your opinion. I hope others would voice their opinion, as well, because I do this for you guys. If you want something changed, tell me.

What I've tried to do was make it easy for someone to pick up the regular start of the game story by skipping right to the part after those few sentences of italics. That way they can skip the first few paragraphs. Maybe I should ital the whole fictional intro? Or maybe post the score or something in bold where the game story starts? I don't mind if people skip to the parts they like, that's what is great about this format is that people interested in even just a couple players can go right to that section.

Obviously, if everybody skips the intro, then tell me. It would save me a good chunk of time. But I'm sure from all the comments and PMs that's not the case. I just need to maybe craft the format a little better so you can read it the way it used to be...because that is still there.

I hear you, bro. I'm definitely not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I know a lot of members probably love it. I do like what you said about the fictional part maybe being in italics. It would just make things a lot easier, for like you said, those who aren't really following that part. I appreciate you hearing me out though, and look forward to your take on Indiana.
It’s staring right at me, I must take advantage.

Juelz Santana - "The Second Coming"
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
melo was never again on the court without his "new" 37# jersey attached to him.

Quote:

one thing that phil keeps missing and doesn't use enough is artest in the post.
we "tried" to post him up twice last night.
that's it - twice. and he didn't even get the ball once.

the result ?

2 fouls on melo.

i don't know how a coach can see that and not go to it again and again.
i would sacrafice some of my normal offense to go there - specificaly in the first half, and get the other team's star sf in foul trouble.
maybe phil is saving it for the playoffs or something - that's the only excuse i can find for him.

He holds his cards close to his vest if possible against some playoff teams. It's very difficult to judge these type of things, IMO. I found myself wondering about some moves against Dallas, too.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:

THE_TWELFTH wrote:

I hear you, bro. I'm definitely not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I know a lot of members probably love it. I do like what you said about the fictional part maybe being in italics. It would just make things a lot easier, for like you said, those who aren't really following that part. I appreciate you hearing me out though, and look forward to your take on Indiana.

I definitely want the feedback and hope no one hesitates from giving it, whether it's pro or con.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Johnny Quid wrote:

That's a very good point you made. I really want us go to him in the post atleast when he plays with the 2nd unit.

Yeah, I think the key is basically having LO out there when he's working the post. The Bynum/Pau unit has too much congestion for Ron's post game to do it consistently with the starters.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Flo'z wrote:

Quick note: You wrote..."They can slide Kobe on Fish, but the better option might be for Shannon to close..." but don't you mean billups and not Fish?

Supposed to read "Fish's man," not Fish. Thanks for the catch. I don't think we have to worry about Fish scoring on us.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
we won their game, and that's good... but i don't understand why this season every time we have to play a crucial game, we are so soft, so sloppy, not ready... first half was embarassing, especially because our big men are mentally weak, and bynum is always out of position, out of rhythm
then we won with a great defensive effort (bynum on the bench), but it seems to me that sometimes we are too rigid with our offensive formula... i really don't understand why we never played against their doubles any p&r with kobe and gasol..

Yeah, I haven't been thrilled with the mental game our bigmen have brought to the big games at times. I do think some trash talking BS like the Nuggets like is just what the doctor would order, though. Repeating a championship requires a mental edge that only a couple players on the team understand. Hopefully, more join that club soon.
squidward
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe may have had a bad shooting night (he seems to be having a bunch of those this season[I know, I know, the finger]), but I think his passing and his defense was pretty good.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
He holds his cards close to his vest if possible against some playoff teams. It's very difficult to judge these type of things, IMO. I found myself wondering about some moves against Dallas, too.
It is great that Phil is always coaching for the playoffs while "allowing" the players learn on the court what works and what doesn't with playoff teams such the Nuggets.

Regarding DB's Breakdowns
I, for one, really appreciate reading the details provided by DB of what occurred on the court. It highlights the problems at PG (seems like they are still learning how to "funnel" players to certain parts of the court because no one can consistently stop elite players such as Parker, JKidd, Rondo, Big Shot, etc. - though one can limit their production) while bringing to light many aspects that are not mentioned during the national broadcasts.

Double Screen Action
Hopefully, Phil will have a different way of defending one of the Nuggets favorite plays where they run Billips off two staggered double screens for an open shot. With two screens, it is difficult to have the other defender "hedge" the screen to force the action wider than what was planned.

Going to the Hole
It was great that Pau (FINALLY) and LO (finally) were serious about going to the Cup instead of doing cute moves that get blocked. Wondering when the team will adjust the spacing to expose the physical play that utilizes Pau's passing skills.

Drew
Hopefully he is watching PJ taking Pau out at times because he wasn't aggressive enough. Even Nene is a good center, the meaningful playoff games will be against Shaq, Dwight Howard and/or KG who are either better skilled and/or more powerful/stronger/physical than Nene. As Phil stated during an interview, Pau and Drew have to develop a strong core and base to not get pushed out of their position. As Sir Charles has stated on TNT, a post player's responsibility is to hold their position in the paint - once they get there and finish. Cute 3-5' shots are nice, but in the playoffs - many of those shots need to be dunked or they will get blocked.
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject:

I just got to download and watched the game. It was a beauty of a game. One of the best I'd remember for a long time. The hustle and grit, and the determination at the end. Heck, even Powell had a good game this time. I hope they bring this mindset which is like playoff attitude already. We had something to prove this game and I'm proud we made our point: We are the World Champions, and we are the team to beat. There was also the instance in the last few seconds where Smith had to foul Kobe but both guys gave each other the recognition it was part of the game. This is a better rivalry if ever it becomes one. One with mutual respect, not trash talking and bad mouthing the other team,

The Nuggets did have most of the same perimeter shots as the 1st meeting in Feb. but missed a lot of them. Their missed free throws helped us to. I just hope in the coming games, the refs continue to allow teams to play physically this way but at the same time being cautious not to let it get out of hand. I fear that Artest could have fouled out early had they been tough on him as they've been throughout the season. But Boy does Ron have better movement. He is leaner but obviously is still strong and faster as well. I hope he keeps it up. If LO plays with this consistency, then we'll be tough for anyone we play, Mavs included. Hopefully Bynum and Pau learn to play effectively together. And of course, that our guards make better decisions on the court in the flow of the offense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: