General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 500, 501, 502  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't think Canelo can beat Bivol. Dmirty is smarter, a better boxer, doesn't rattle, and IMO is underrated. He is also very confident. I think Saul may have underestimated him. He'll have a better game plan in the rematch. If he does get by Bivol and not fight either Charlo or Benavidez he'll be a big disappointment.


Size matter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't think Canelo can beat Bivol. Dmirty is smarter, a better boxer, doesn't rattle, and IMO is underrated. He is also very confident. I think Saul may have underestimated him. He'll have a better game plan in the rematch. If he does get by Bivol and not fight either Charlo or Benavidez he'll be a big disappointment.


Size matter


True. I think Canelo will try to bully Bivol in the rematch. I don't think that will work. Dmitry is too skilled to allow Canelo to keep him on the ropes or bum rush him. The few times Saul got him on the ropes he fought his way off with stunning combinations. He stopped the bum rushes with headshots.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Former heavyweight boxing champ Mike Tyson won't be charged in plane incident with video showing him striking passenger

Mike Tyson won't be charged in connection with an incident on an airplane last month, the San Mateo County (California) District Attorney announced Tuesday.

"We have reviewed the police reports of the San Francisco Police Department and the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office and have viewed the various videos collected by law enforcement from others on the airplane," District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. "Our decision is that we will not file any charges against Mr. Tyson based on the circumstances surrounding the confrontation.

"These include the conduct of the victim leading up to the incident, the interaction between Mr. Tyson and the victim, as well as the requests of both the victim and Mr. Tyson that no charges be filed in this case."

The Hall of Fame boxer, in an edited video obtained by TMZ Sports, was seen striking a passenger who was seated behind him. The passenger is later seen with blood on his forehead. A spokesperson for Tyson told ESPN that "an aggressive passenger ... began harassing him and threw a water bottle at him."

The JetBlue flight was set to depart San Francisco International Airport for Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida. Both Tyson and the other passenger were apprehended by police in San Francisco and were subsequently released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Oscar De La Hoya confirms that Kovalev was cherry picked for Canelo:

https://youtu.be/UGGOA9DETcQ

Quote:
Question: Do you think he's done at 175, that it was a bad choice that he shouldn't think about that anymore?

Oscar De La Hoya: It all depends on the fighter, who they choose. When we fought Kovalev, Kovalev wasn't, as we all know, wasn't the same Kovalev that fought Hopkins. So it all depends at what moment you catch that opponent.


Yeah, I've always thought that Canelo carefully cherry picked his opponents. Oscar's comment about "it all depends at what moment you catch that opponent" is very telling to me.

They waited until GGG was 35 to fight him the first time. Canelo was 27. Now, they waited until he's 40 for a proposed 3rd fight. Canelo's all about catching opponents "at the right time".

He thought Kovalev was too old for him, he was right. He probably picked Bivol because he thought Bivol was inexperienced and lacked power in his punches. He was right but he underestimated Bivol coming up with a great game plan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Oscar De La Hoya confirms that Kovalev was cherry picked for Canelo:

https://youtu.be/UGGOA9DETcQ

Quote:
Question: Do you think he's done at 175, that it was a bad choice that he shouldn't think about that anymore?

Oscar De La Hoya: It all depends on the fighter, who they choose. When we fought Kovalev, Kovalev wasn't, as we all know, wasn't the same Kovalev that fought Hopkins. So it all depends at what moment you catch that opponent.


Yeah, I've always thought that Canelo carefully cherry picked his opponents. Oscar's comment about "it all depends at what moment you catch that opponent" is very telling to me.

They waited until GGG was 35 to fight him the first time. Canelo was 27. Now, they waited until he's 40 for a proposed 3rd fight. Canelo's all about catching opponents "at the right time".

He thought Kovalev was too old for him, he was right. He probably picked Bivol because he thought Bivol was inexperienced and lacked power in his punches. He was right but he underestimated Bivol coming up with a great game plan.


I wrote a post earlier that Canelo was riding the gravy train, living off of his reputation. He started fighting the best. When he rose to prominence he did what most fighters do, choose opponents they think they can beat.

I think his camp underestimated Dmitry. I honestly think they thought Bivol would be an easy win. He'll have a different game plan in the rematch but I don't think he can beat Bivol. Dmitry is too big and too good a boxer.

I don't know what kind of chin Dmitry has. Canelo will have to rely on landing haymakers. Bivol will keep him off balance with his jab. He has a good one. He sometimes triples up on it. He also throws punches in bunches. He was landing 4,5 punch combos on Alvarez with great accuracy. Canelo will have to take one to give one. How much can he take?

I like Bivol in the rematch.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

Maybe maybe not, how many undefeated champs have canelo fought?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Maybe maybe not, how many undefeated champs have canelo fought?


I'll admit he fought fighters with great records but how good were they? He fought Caleb Plant 30 0 0, Billy Joe Saunders 30 0 0, Avni Yildirim 21 2 0, Callum Smith 27 0 0. I could list more. I don't follow boxing close enough to know who those fighters fought or how good their opponents were. I do know GGG and Sergey were past their prime.

I hold with Canelo did what most fighters do when they reach the top, choose opponents they think they can beat. IMO his camp underestimated Dmitry Bivol. I also think Dmitry will win the rematch.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Canelo-GGG III - Sep 17, 2022 confirmed

Canelo-Bivol II - looking at May 2023

Quote:
Canelo vs Golovkin 3: Trilogy match between Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin officially announced for September 17

As expected, Canelo will take on his rival Gennadiy Golovkin once more in a stylistically pleasing matchup.

It’s official! Canelo Alvarez had already indicated he would move back down to 168 lbs to take on Gennadiy Golovkin this fall, and now we have an official announcement and date set by DAZN.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2022/5/24/23139765/canelo-alvarez-vs-gennadiy-golovkin-trilogy-match-announced-for-september-17-boxing-news-2022
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

It wouldn't surprise me if GGG upset Canelo. If he loses it may likely make the Bivol match unattractive. I don't think Saul can beat Dmitry.

Gervonta Davis vs. Rolando Romero today PPV. Tank is a Mayweather protege. Davis (26-0, 24 KOs) Romero (14-0, 12 KOs) Two undefeated fighters. Somebody's 0 is gonna go. Davis is the -800 favorite (risk $800 to win $100), while Romero is the +550 underdog.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln


Last edited by jodeke on Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me it GGG upset Canelo.


Hope so. Wonder how much GGG has left. He’ll be 40 vs 32 yr old Canelo.

Quote:
Two undefeated fighters. Somebody's 0 is gonna go.


Wouldn’t a draw keep both fighters undefeated?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me it GGG upset Canelo.


Hope so. Wonder how much GGG has left. He’ll be 40 vs 32 yr old Canelo.

Quote:
Two undefeated fighters. Somebody's 0 is gonna go.


Wouldn’t a draw keep both fighters undefeated?


Yeah, nitpicky. 99% chance somebody's 0 is gonna go
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Romero got KDFO . That was a vicious one punch left hook KO. He ran right into it. Rolando's legs looked like classic rubber legs. He got to his feet but he didn't know where he was. He was wobbly as hell. David Fields did the right thing by stopping the fight. Romero was defenseless. Rolando didn't protest at all. He knew he was cooked.

Romero talked a lot of smack before the fight. Things like I'm gonna make him quit on his stool, I'm gonna kick his ass. I'm gonna beat da ish outa him. At the end of the fight he didn't do an interview. He left the ring immediately.

Jim Gray went to his dressing room and he still wouldn't do an interview. Honestly, I think he was still on queer street. I don't think he'd recovered. He also had to be embarrassed after talking all that smack.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in October


At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in October


At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.




LINK
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in October


At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.




LINK


I’d def watch Canelo vs GGG but Bud vs Spence!!! Hell yes!!! Prime vs Prime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in October


At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.




LINK


I’d def watch Canelo vs GGG but Bud vs Spence!!! Hell yes!!! Prime vs Prime


I think GGG is done. Isn't Saul supposed to meet Dmitry Bivol in a rematch? Is the GGG fight before that fight?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3858
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:50 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in October


At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.




LINK


I’d def watch Canelo vs GGG but Bud vs Spence!!! Hell yes!!! Prime vs Prime


I think GGG is done. Isn't Saul supposed to meet Dmitry Bivol in a rematch? Is the GGG fight before that fight?


Alvarez wants Bivol to rematch at 168. That's not happening. Bivol might make that weight but ee would be weight drained. What is the point of challenging for the 175 belts if you aren't fighting at 175. Just a way of getting out of the rematch IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Alvarez wants Bivol to rematch at 168. That's not happening. Bivol might make that weight but ee would be weight drained. What is the point of challenging for the 175 belts if you aren't fighting at 175. Just a way of getting out of the rematch IMO.


It’d be interesting if Canelo never avenges his loss to Bivol. That would be a stain on his record and prevent him from getting into the conversation of one of the greatest ever.

On the flip side, a 2nd loss to Bivol would greatly hurt his career as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Alvarez wants Bivol to rematch at 168. That's not happening. Bivol might make that weight but ee would be weight drained. What is the point of challenging for the 175 belts if you aren't fighting at 175. Just a way of getting out of the rematch IMO.


It’d be interesting if Canelo never avenges his loss to Bivol. That would be a stain on his record and prevent him from getting into the conversation of one of the greatest ever.

On the flip side, a 2nd loss to Bivol would greatly hurt his career as well.


Kinda disagree, Canelo went up the weight, didn't get KOed, the loss to Bivol won't change his legacy if unavanged. Plus he already KOed a 175 champ in Kovalev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Alvarez wants Bivol to rematch at 168. That's not happening. Bivol might make that weight but ee would be weight drained. What is the point of challenging for the 175 belts if you aren't fighting at 175. Just a way of getting out of the rematch IMO.


It’d be interesting if Canelo never avenges his loss to Bivol. That would be a stain on his record and prevent him from getting into the conversation of one of the greatest ever.

On the flip side, a 2nd loss to Bivol would greatly hurt his career as well.


Kinda disagree, Canelo went up the weight, didn't get KOed, the loss to Bivol won't change his legacy if unavanged. Plus he already KOed a 175 champ in Kovalev


His promoter has said as much.

I mean basically you’re saying Canelo’s legacy today is the same as it was before the Bivol fight.

Canelo went from no. 1 pound for pound to no. 6.

The loss did something to his legacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 89719
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
governator wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Alvarez wants Bivol to rematch at 168. That's not happening. Bivol might make that weight but ee would be weight drained. What is the point of challenging for the 175 belts if you aren't fighting at 175. Just a way of getting out of the rematch IMO.


It’d be interesting if Canelo never avenges his loss to Bivol. That would be a stain on his record and prevent him from getting into the conversation of one of the greatest ever.

On the flip side, a 2nd loss to Bivol would greatly hurt his career as well.


Kinda disagree, Canelo went up the weight, didn't get KOed, the loss to Bivol won't change his legacy if unavanged. Plus he already KOed a 175 champ in Kovalev


His promoter has said as much.

I mean basically you’re saying Canelo’s legacy today is the same as it was before the Bivol fight.

Canelo went from no. 1 pound for pound to no. 6.

The loss did something to his legacy.


It did something to his current status. His legacy is pretty set within the weight classes where he was dominant.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60707
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject:

If Saul doesn't fight Bivol at 175 it will bolster my belief that he was fighting off of reputation and choosing fighters he thinks he can beat.

Dmitry surprised him. I watched the fight several times. Bivol is too much for Canelo. He's a superior boxer and too big. Canelo's camp knows it.

He's fighting a 40 year old GGG instead of 22 year old David Benavidez or 32 year old Jermell Charlo. I'm losing respect for him as a warrior.

I wouldn't bet the condo on Saul beating Gennady.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abe Lincoln
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It did something to his current status. His legacy is pretty set within the weight classes where he was dominant.


He was looking on becoming an all time great. Maybe even best all time (I don't know if this was achievable but that was his goal).

I think his chances of reaching at least top 10 all time was greater before the Bivol fight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21591

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

Haney put on a clinic last night, too fast, too slick, too skillful, simply untouchable and he was tagging Kambosos at will... lack KO power tho.

Haney vs Loma would be nice to watch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 11474

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

Inoue and Donaire II

Quote:
will meet again to unify three bantamweight world titles Tuesday in Saitama, Japan (ESPN+, 5:30 a.m. ET, with the main event expected at 8:15 a.m. ET).


Inoue ranked #3 pound for pound right now

Quote:
1) Usyk
2) Crawford
3) Inoue
4) Spence
5) Estrada

6) Canelo
7) Lomachenko
8) Bivol
9) Taylor
10) Jermell Charlo

11) Gonzalez
12) Fury
13) Davis
14) GGG
15) Joshua

16) Stevenson
17) Wilder
18) Beterbiev


Wonder why no Fury in the top 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 500, 501, 502  Next
Page 501 of 502
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB