View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Porter is the mandatory for both Crawford and Spence. I have heard Porter/Crawford is next.

As to the Garcia/Spence bout Garcia did what he does, he counterpunched. Oddly the landed powershot a were exactly the same per punch stats at 106. Spence out jabbed him . That has always been a flaw in Danny's game low punch output. Spence out worked him plain and simple. I think a change of trainers would be good for Danny. Freddy Roach comes to mind. Listening to Angel Garcia in the corner, I think he gave Danny nothing. It was kind of embarrassing.

Josesito Lopez looked great in his bout and has revived his career at age 36. Props to him. Hope he makes some money on the way out. Boxing needs guys like him.

Sebastian Fundora was very intriguing in the semi main. This kid is 6'6" and easily makes 154. He's like a king sized Paul Williams. And he is very young.

Where does Spence go from here? Who knows but the welter weight division is mighty strong right now.

How is Porter the mandatory for Spence when Spence already fought him not too long ago? Also, do you think Porter can give Bud some trouble like he did for Spence, or does the style matchup line up differently in your eyes?

He said after the fight he was mandatory.

LINK

Quote:
Michael Benson from TalkSPORT was the first to catch on to the news and share it on his Twitter. He wrote, “Shawn Porter has just said on the PPV broadcast that he’s now in line to be mandatory for Terence Crawford’s WBO welterweight title, as well as Errol Spence’s WBC belt.”

He'll be trouble in the sense of the word. Porter is a straight up brawler. He'll take 2 to give 1. Crawford had the power to stop him but he has a granite chin, he'll have to catch him on the button.

Interesting. Boxing is weird since Spence recently beat Porter, so i'm surprised they'd make him mandatory again so soon. Porter's best chance is to cut Crawford via headbutt early in the fight. In terms of boxing, Porter has little chance imo against Crawford, who is too slick for him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Porter is the mandatory for both Crawford and Spence. I have heard Porter/Crawford is next.

As to the Garcia/Spence bout Garcia did what he does, he counterpunched. Oddly the landed powershot a were exactly the same per punch stats at 106. Spence out jabbed him . That has always been a flaw in Danny's game low punch output. Spence out worked him plain and simple. I think a change of trainers would be good for Danny. Freddy Roach comes to mind. Listening to Angel Garcia in the corner, I think he gave Danny nothing. It was kind of embarrassing.

Josesito Lopez looked great in his bout and has revived his career at age 36. Props to him. Hope he makes some money on the way out. Boxing needs guys like him.

Sebastian Fundora was very intriguing in the semi main. This kid is 6'6" and easily makes 154. He's like a king sized Paul Williams. And he is very young.

Where does Spence go from here? Who knows but the welter weight division is mighty strong right now.

How is Porter the mandatory for Spence when Spence already fought him not too long ago? Also, do you think Porter can give Bud some trouble like he did for Spence, or does the style matchup line up differently in your eyes?

He said after the fight he was mandatory.

LINK

Quote:
Michael Benson from TalkSPORT was the first to catch on to the news and share it on his Twitter. He wrote, “Shawn Porter has just said on the PPV broadcast that he’s now in line to be mandatory for Terence Crawford’s WBO welterweight title, as well as Errol Spence’s WBC belt.”

He'll be trouble in the sense of the word. Porter is a straight up brawler. He'll take 2 to give 1. Crawford had the power to stop him but he has a granite chin, he'll have to catch him on the button.

Interesting. Boxing is weird since Spence recently beat Porter, so i'm surprised they'd make him mandatory again so soon. Porter's best chance is to cut Crawford via headbutt early in the fight. In terms of boxing, Porter has little chance imo against Crawford, who is too slick for him.

What puzzes me about Porter is, he was a very good boxer when he was Pacman's sparing partner.

Pac was preparing for the anticipated match with Mayweather (that took years to come to fruition) so he had sparring partners that could box. Porter was good, very good.

When he turned pro for some reason he started to brawl. I don't know why.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What puzzes me about Porter is, he was a very good boxer when he was Pacman's sparing partner.

Pac was preparing for the anticipated match with Mayweather (that took years to come to fruition) so he had sparring partners that could box. Porter was good, very good.

I think he changed more after the Thurman fight. Maybe, he didn't want to lose more close decisions after the Brook and Thurman fights?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think he changed more after the Thurman fight. Maybe, he didn't want to lose more close decisions after the Brook and Thurman fights?

Speaking of Thurman, he seems to have lost the fire. His last fight he didn't seem like the old you have to take me out Thurman. He wasn't as aggressive.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Speaking of Thurman, he seems to have lost the fire. His last fight he didn't seem like the old you have to take me out Thurman. He wasn't as aggressive.

well, PacMan knocked him down and he was almost knocked down on the fight before too (when his eyes kinda rolled backward for a split sec), that back2back can change you
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

well, PacMan knocked him down and he was almost knocked down on the fight before too (when his eyes kinda rolled backward for a split sec), that back2back can change you

TRU DAT!! LINK

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Thurman changed when he got married; he became more mellow and lost that fire imo. The obvious turning point when i knew he was done/afraid was when he started ignoring Spence as a matchup; i believed the old Thurman had a shot at winning that fight by decision.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Thurman changed when he got married; he became more mellow and lost that fire imo. The obvious turning point when i knew he was done/afraid was when he started ignoring Spence as a matchup; i believed the old Thurman had a shot at winning that fight by decision.

You're right. That's when he lost that fire. He became more a family man. He wants to be there for his family without scrambled eggs for a brain.

His net worth is listed at 10 million. He really doesn't need the game anymore. I hope he gets a reputable financial advisor. Good catch. 👌🏾

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Canelo Alvarez vs Callum Smith Sat 12/18/2020 Smith 27-0 19 KO. Alvarez 53-1-2, 36 KOs. I'm gonna give Smith a chance if he fights tall. He has the height, a good jab and power. Callum Smith highlights

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Canelo Alvarez vs Callum Smith Sat 12/18/2020 Smith 27-0 19 KO. Alvarez 53-1-2, 36 KOs. I'm gonna give Smith a chance if he fights tall. He has the height, a good jab and power. Callum Smith highlights

Haven't watched much of Smith, and i won't be buying a Canelo fight until he faces Jermall Charlo. With that said, do you think Smith has a real chance?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's been safety first since the Diego Chaves fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Haven't watched much of Smith, and i won't be buying a Canelo fight until he faces Jermall Charlo. With that said, do you think Smith has a real chance?

If he uses his height and reach, yes, I give him a chance. Smith attacks the body a lot, which may be a mistake with Canelo. He has to get close to do that and it would be an advantage to a shorter fighter. Stick and move, keep Saul at a distance, catch him coming in.

I have DAZN. Canelo and Fury signed with them. I'll get their fights. If you're a fight fan they have great boxing matches and also MMA.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Gennadiy Golovkin vs. Kamil Szeremeta Friday Dec 18 at 5PM ET / 2PM PT

Looking forward to this fight. I don't know how much GGG has left. It's been kicked around a 3rd fight with Canelo may happen. I'd like to see if he can mix it up with Alvarez. He KO Steve Rolls in 4 at MSG his last outing.

Full Fight

Canelo's on Sat. I have DAZN. I get to watch both fights.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Looking forward to this fight. I don't know how much GGG has left. It's been kicked around a 3rd fight with Canelo may happen. I'd like to see if he can mix it up with Alvarez. He KO Steve Rolls in 4 at MSG his last outing.

Full Fight

GGG should retire. He is borderline washed up at this point, but promoters want to milk the public for the Canelo trilogy. He did not KO rolls in his last fight; GGG went to war with Derevyanchenko in his last fight and arguably lost.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Full Fight

GGG should retire. He is borderline washed up at this point, but promoters want to milk the public for the Canelo trilogy. He did not KO rolls in his last fight; GGG went to war with Derevyanchenko in his last fight and arguably lost.

The Derevyanchenko fight was the one I was thinking about. I watched and had the same thoughts as you, I didn't think he won. That fight had me thinking it was time for GGG to hang up the Everlast's.

He has to bang with Canelo if he wants to win. He has to be the GGG of old. I don't know if he has it in him. Friday will tell a lot.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Full Fight

The Derevyanchenko fight was the one I was thinking about. I watched and had the same thoughts as you, I didn't think he won. That fight had me thinking it was time for GGG to hang up the Everlast's.

He has to bang with Canelo if he wants to win. He has to be the GGG of old. I don't know if he has it in him. Friday will tell a lot.

He cannot bang with Canelo at age 39 (his age at the earliest a third fight would materialize) because he will be KO'd. GGG's best days were behind him before the first Canelo fight happened. Canelo would do well to see if he can bang with Charlo, who i think could KO Canelo at 160.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:
He cannot bang with Canelo at age 39 (his age at the earliest a third fight would materialize) because he will be KO'd. GGG's best days were behind him before the first Canelo fight happened. Canelo would do well to see if he can bang with Charlo, who i think could KO Canelo at 160.

The game did GGG wrong. He was a killer who no one wanted any part of when he was young. They didn't give him a shot until he was up in age. That's what turns me off with boxing.

When Canelo first hit the scene he'd fight anyone. He's been influenced by the All Mighty Dollar to earn not burn. Today the game belongs to promoters.

Charlo and Canelo would be a good fight. I put it on par with Bud vs Spence.

I grew up in an era where the best fought the best. Joe Lewis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Floyd Patterson, Willie Pep, and like. The game today is all about Benjamin's. Can't say I blame them, it a dangerous sport.

The game has changed. You don't get the matchups you did back in the day.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

The game did GGG wrong. He was a killer who no one wanted any part of when he was young. They didn't give him a shot until he was up in age. That's what turns me off with boxing.

When Canelo first hit the scene he'd fight anyone. He's been influenced by the All Mighty Dollar to earn not burn. Today the game belongs to promoters.

I grew up in an era where the best fought the best. Joe Lewis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Floyd Patterson, Willie Pep, and like. The game today is all about Benjamin's. Can't say I blame them, it a dangerous sport.

Earliest fights i was watching were Ali's (replays, not live), and i grew up watching the 90s era heavyweights. Would love to see Canelo vs. Charlo or Spence vs. Bud, but politics often get in the way in boxing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

Earliest fights i was watching were Ali's (replays, not live), and i grew up watching the 90s era heavyweights. Would love to see Canelo vs. Charlo or Spence vs. Bud, but politics often get in the way in boxing.

LINK

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Spence v Bud is the MoneyMay v PacMan, gotta happen, hope not 6-7 years too late again
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Haha, i do try to go back and watch the classic fights though. I have a list of fights to watch that i keep as i go through the classics, and i am gonna watch some old Liston ones next.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Haha, i do try to go back and watch the classic fights though. I have a list of fights to watch that i keep as i go through the classics, and i am gonna watch some old Liston ones next.

Here's a good classic. Ingemar Johansson vs Floyd Patterson LINK You want to see a scary KO watch, see if you can see Johansson's foot quiver after he went down. Round 5. He was motionless for quite a while. Patterson was so concerned he had killed Ingemar they had to pull him off of him when he went to check on him after the count. Listen to the post fight interview. You probably don't know much about Howard Cosell the post fight interviewer. Ali made him famous.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Here's a good classic. Ingemar Johansson vs Floyd Patterson LINK You want to see a scary KO watch, see if you can see Johansson's foot quiver after he went down. Round 5. He was motionless for quite a while. Patterson was so concerned he had killed Ingemar they had to pull him off of him when he went to check on him after the count. Listen to the post fight interview. You probably don't know much about Howard Cosell the post fight interviewer. Ali made him famous.

Just finished watching. Great fight! Never watched Patterson before, and he had a great jab, great hand speed, good head movement, with an absolute mastery of tempo. I love how he waits a half-beat before throwing shots at times to vary his delivery and keep the opponent guessing. That's how he ended the fight, and he reminded me of GGG (in his younger days) in terms of how he uses tempo. Definitely need to watch more of Patterson's fights; that fight was incredible!

Edit: in terms of Cosell, i only know about as much as what i've seen in the movie with Will Smith and some jokes my dad told me about Ali and him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Just finished watching. Great fight! Never watched Patterson before, and he had a great jab, great hand speed, good head movement, with an absolute mastery of tempo. I love how he waits a half-beat before throwing shots at times to vary his delivery and keep the opponent guessing. That's how he ended the fight, and he reminded me of GGG (in his younger days) in terms of how he uses tempo. Definitely need to watch more of Patterson's fights; that fight was incredible!

Edit: in terms of Cosell, i only know about as much as what i've seen in the movie with Will Smith and some jokes my dad told me about Ali and him.

Howard once told Ali "You aren't the man you use to be." Ali came back with "Your wife told me you ain't the man you used to be." They turned out to be very good friends.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject:

GGG destroyed Szeremeta. The referee stopped the fight in the 7th round. He didn't let the round begin, he waved it off at the bell. GGG won every round. 3 of the 6 rounds were 10 8 because of knockdowns.

GGG looked good. I wouldn't take much from the fight Szermeneta was totally outclassed. Gennady knocked him down with a jab. GGG was in control from the opening bell.

If Canelo wins tomorrow a 3rd fight between him and GGG is a good possibility.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 487, 488, 489 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 488 of 514
Jump to: