LAKERS -at- CAVS - 1/21 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:

Oh ya, When Pau/LO were in we should have involved Shaq in the dreaded Pick in role. Where was a our two man game?

And I hear Kobe was mad at his teammates. What does he want them to do? We got called for touching while Hairball and Shaq played under Hockey rules.

The team should be mad at Kobe for not knowing when to reign in his own bricks.

Why is our nutless 12m per year coach afraid to to tell the refs they are being dishonest? Our guys were fouled with wreckless abandon by normally foul prone Shaq and Hairball Varejou. We were butchered without calls while we couldn't breath on them. BS! What, is a $30,000 fine too much to bear for a 12m per year coach? When's this coach going to stand up like a man and speak the truth?

All that said, here is the solution to Stern and his boys. Every time we are fouled without a call, the player being fouled returns the exact foul. This is something to execute all the way until we run out of players. That will send a message to the league that we will be honestly officiated or we will foul completely out before the game ends.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Oh ya, When Pau/LO were in we should have involved Shaq in the dreaded Pick in role. Where was a our two man game?

And I hear Kobe was mad at his teammates. What does he want them to do? We got called for touching while Hairball and Shaq played under Hockey rules.

The team should be mad at Kobe for not knowing when to reign in his own bricks.

Why is our nutless 12m per year coach afraid to to tell the refs they are being dishonest? Our guys were fouled with wreckless abandon by normally foul prone Shaq and Hairball Varejou. We were butchered without calls while we couldn't breath on them. BS! What, is a $30,000 fine too much to bear for a 12m per year coach? When's this coach going to stand up like a man and speak the truth?

All that said, here is the solution to Stern and his boys. Every time we are fouled without a call, the player being fouled returns the exact foul. This is something to execute all the way until we run out of players. That will send a message to the league that we will be honestly officiated or we will foul completely out before the game ends.

it's a shame that we're relegated to blame the fouls or lack there of foul calls. but, since our bigs were handcuffed w/3 fouls each at end of the first, half, it's kind of hard to expect them to play hard.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:

It's just some of you who are "cavalierly" thinking it's just 1 of 82.

I think yesterday's game was a measuring stick for the team's progress so far. The Showtime teams with their enormous talent always circled statement games on the calendar. I would think that this game was circled so hard, the pencil was worn to a nub. No excuse that this was any early season matchup. We are at midseason now when all the kinks in the system should have been worked out.

Consider that we are winless against the primary contenders (Denver, SA, Cleve) so far, and except for yesterday's game we've been smashed by double digits. We were able to avenge the early blowout home loss to the Mavs and yesterday was a chance to avenge the Xmas day massacre. The guys should've been prepared to play the smashmouth game, but they were totally outworked. A championship ring on your finger comes with a target on your back, and these guys haven't shown the hunger they had last year.

Despite an over-reliance on Kobe, soft interior play, little contributions from the bench, poor FT shooting and a monster game by LBJ, the Lakers still found a way to be tied with a minute left. That's a positive sign, for sure, especially with the team's record in close games. But, it's one thing to execute precisely enough to pull out wins vs Sac or the Bucks, and something totally different to execute against a serious title contender.

Does the loss portend anything? Probably not. I can see that maybe Phil didn't want to tip his hand in a reg season game, but intensity/hunger isn't something you just can flip a switch. It has to be cultivated throughout the year. This was a game to prove that, and the Lakers failed.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:

This game is not on the refs. And it is not on the Drew.

It was on Pau, who could not hit from below the basket on two consecutive possessions. It was on everybody missing freethrows. And it was on the lack of team play which lead to Kobe taking too many shots and us not utilising the post (whoever you'd like to blame for that).

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Consider that we are winless against the primary contenders (Denver, SA, Cleve) so far, and except for yesterday's game we've been smashed by double digits.

Not only that, until the Dallas win, the Lakers hadn't won a single road game against a .500 team since the first week of the season. At this point, they're only 9-7 on the road.

Frankly, this loss might have been an improvement over how the Lakers have played on the road.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
This game is not on the refs. And it is not on the Drew.

It was on Pau, who could not hit from below the basket on two consecutive possessions. It was on everybody missing freethrows. And it was on the lack of team play which lead to Kobe taking too many shots and us not utilising the post (whoever you'd like to blame for that).

These facts contributed to the loss:

1) 1st quarter-- we went away from the Pau mismatch on hooks or whatever his name was

2) Not giving Bynum ample opportunities to get Shaq in FT with post ups

3) Shaq and Varejou allowed to foul hard and often, Bynum and Pau not allowed to touch Shaq. Yes, this alone could have made the difference, whether you like it or not.

4) Not involving Shaq in PnR's when Bynum went out. Should have used the two man game with Pau and Kobe.

5) Kobe's fingers, Kobe not reigning in his shot selection when it's clearly bothering him.

6) Shannon Brown chucking misses in the early offense.

7) missed FT's.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:

Similar record or not, they definitely look weaker this year. A huge part of that is that fire just isn't there, that fire Cleveland seems to have now. It's the complacency of having already won it (which underscores how amazing a back to back or threepeat is). They might be coasting for now, but I question whether guys like Gasol, Odom, ARtest, Bynum have the character to pull it off (and yesterday was one they probably really wanted to win). I don't question Kobe's character, but I do his tendencies to revert to bad habits all over again and shoot us out of contention. As tough as it would be to beat Cleveland now, thinking it over I still think a HEALTHY Boston team would take them out, making them potentially more formidable than a team that already has an edge on us going in. The question is whether or not they'll be healthy though.

It's funny--I'd almost bet the site set a record last night for newly created accounts after losing a game to a big contender.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

They did run the two man against Shaq. This resulted usually in a Kobe jumper as Shaq sagged back like he does.

They didn't run those two-man combos where LO is involved and there is an extra pass. They also didn't attack off the two-man game to get into the paint or try to draw fouls. It was very one dimensional.

That may or may not be on purpose. Phil usually doesn't want to show all his cards now.

I think they will probably realize they know to go after Shaq via penetration and the post more. Late in the game, he's the soft spot they will pick on.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

These facts contributed to the loss:

1) 1st quarter-- we went away from the Pau mismatch on hooks or whatever his name was

2) Not giving Bynum ample opportunities to get Shaq in FT with post ups

Just feed the post. Period.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject:

if fans recognize that

a) our team missed 9 free throws

b) we shot miserably from the field

c) james had a brilliant 4th quarter and

d) the game was tied with a minute to play versus
a team that had won 13 out 14 at home

if you take all that into consideration, i don't think we would be seeing the over-reaction we are seeing today.

the lakers still have the best record in the league. after the half way point in the season. i know people will say this doesn't mean anything, but when you're the defending champs and you're still fighting for home court advantage in the regular season, it means you're a pretty darn good team. the time to get nervous is when the vegas book-makers stop believing we're the team to win, and they haven't jumped ship yet, so neither should you.

if healthy, no one beats the lakers 4 out of 7 in the playoffs.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject:

^I agree with you LB... but you also have to take into account they didn't have the guy who hurts us second most behind Lebron in that game - Mo Williams.

That said, I'm not concerned... there are tons of adjustments to make in a 7 game series that we didn't even touch last night and our team isn't 100% right now (health or chemistry-wise).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
We lost at the FT line, we lost in the first quarter when we stopped abusing Hickson with Pau. We lost when the refs reached out and touched someone named Bynum, the dirty bastards. And we lost because Kobe didn't take time off after his injury to let it heal. Just think, it would be all better now.

Bynum did a pretty dam good job against Shaq, and yes, Phil, you are senile for not having Bynum attack Shaq in the post. I don't care if he fails 5 times, you have to TRY to get him in FT and Drew will gain invaluable experience that WILL PAY OFF IN THE PLAYOFFS.

PJ does not like Bynum. He's become a stubborn old man. Even when he has reason to be disappointed in Drew (when the effort is not there, when Drew seems to be pouting), one has to wonder what the hell he's being paid 10 million/year to do. Isn't it his job to get the most out of his players? Does everything have to be a power trip? He couldn't break Kobe, but he has to break Bynum...real smart strategy there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: