THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3725, 3726, 3727 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Biden will speak live in front of the White House press pool at 7:45 pm, televised and streamed.

I want angry, outraged, passionate Joe. Because that's the best Joe.

Will he take questions and will he deliver his response without a set of teleprompters?

NO and NO. Disappointing. Not a good look after the debate fiasco.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Biden will speak live in front of the White House press pool at 7:45 pm, televised and streamed.

Will he take questions and will he deliver his response without a set of teleprompters?

I don't know but I know he won't send a drone strike on Mar a Lago. Because he has integrity and Trump has NONE.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

This wasn't a debate. It was a statement. Don't fall for the right-wing and MSM talking points and jabs at Biden. That doesn't help.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

This wasn't a debate. It was a statement. Don't fall for the right-wing and MSM talking points and jabs at Biden. That doesn't help.

I won't be swayed. I think you know that about me. I know it was a statement. I wanted more. Remember the Dumbed Down are the people he has to reach. He didn't. MSM will have them dig in deeper. We have time. I still have hope.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Another well-earned defeat for the Democratic Party. Another giant leap towards becoming a Christofascist (bleep) hole country.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I won't be swayed. I think you know that about me. I know it was a statement. I wanted more. Remember the Dumbed Down are the people he has to reach. He didn't. MSM will have them dig in deeper. We have time. I still have hope.

Congratulations for dumping on Biden, then.

I don't feel I'm dumping when I voice an honest opinion. I'm talking optics. He teleprompted and left without answering any questions. IMO he didn't gain any ground with 10% undecided. How do the Dumbed Down see that? I don't know the Dem game plan. I'm a supporter to the end. I don't need convincing. Some do.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Biden should start making multiple "official" acts. I'm not joking.
Make the most of his time moving forward. Use his king like power for good. Let the conservative SC overrule each one, down the line, if they want.

In the meantime, do as much as good as possible.

Quote:
Trump shares, deletes post calling for televised military tribunals for political enemies

LINK
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Biden should start making multiple "official" acts. I'm not joking.
Make the most of his time moving forward. Use his king like power for good. Let the conservative SC overrule each one, down the line, if they want.

In the meantime, do as much as good as possible.

Definitely needs to call the SCOTUS on this BS decision by putting it to the test. Nothing blatantly criminal, but make them show where they truly stand.

Quote:
Quote:
Trump shares, deletes post calling for televised military tribunals for political enemies

LINK

It's truly disgusting how our conservative friends here focus on Biden and ignore the true threat to everyone. I hope they don't have kids, and if they do, I hope their kids disown them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Conservatives who aren't wealthy are ignoring what Trump's election will mean to them. Their health care, SS, and ability to vote to name a few losses. Only the very rich will be OK, and if they don't toe the line they'll be punished also.

eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject:

So I'm actually stoked by this ruling, since it means Biden can arrest trump, right now today, and doing so is part of his official duties as President.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
So I'm actually stoked by this ruling, since it means Biden can arrest trump, right now today, and doing so is part of his official duties as President.

It would be great if this ruling was intended to be a bi-lateral one. But obviously it's not; it applies only to Republican Presidents, which is why I would love to see Biden find a way to execute an extreme order non-criminal in nature that would reveal the decision as the sham that it is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Saw this comment elsewhere regarding the idea of Biden dropping out and it is spot on:

“I've seen all kinds of people calling for Biden to step aside. But none of them seem comfortable with Kamala Harris stepping up as the replacement candidate, even though, as the elected vice president, she'd be the natural choice. I don't think these people understand the Democratic Party at all. Their idea seems to be that we'd dump Biden and then bypass the first African American woman elected vice president to pick some unidentified (but almost certainly white) candidate. Have any of these people stopped to ask how Black women might react? You know, the people who are the party's most loyal voters? This idea seems completely untethered from the reality of the party.”
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Saw this comment elsewhere regarding the idea of Biden dropping out and it is spot on:

“I've seen all kinds of people calling for Biden to step aside. But none of them seem comfortable with Kamala Harris stepping up as the replacement candidate, even though, as the elected vice president, she'd be the natural choice. I don't think these people understand the Democratic Party at all. Their idea seems to be that we'd dump Biden and then bypass the first African American woman elected vice president to pick some unidentified (but almost certainly white) candidate. Have any of these people stopped to ask how Black women might react? You know, the people who are the party's most loyal voters? This idea seems completely untethered from the reality of the party.”
Tell me, how would the party's most loyal voters react in their voting ultimately?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/01/politics/video/carl-bernstein-biden-performance-presidential-debate-ac360-digvid

Is this freight train going slow down?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/01/politics/video/carl-bernstein-biden-performance-presidential-debate-ac360-digvid

The media is burying Biden right now.
Just saw the polling. Holy Moly.
72% of registered voters saying he doesn't have the mental & cognitive health to serve as President.
46% of Democratic registered voters saying he should not be running for President.
LINK
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I don’t think Kamala is bringing out the black vote, nor the Asian vote or the women vote. As much as legacies suck, a Michelle Obama-Newsome (or flipped) would energize the base but if Biden stays on the ticket then we support him also, just can’t let Trump win
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject:

This is why I get upset when people continue to dump on Biden.

Here's the overall picture about the way our news/information/disinformation eco-system works.

The more something is repeated (whether it's true or not) the more it becomes a reinforced truth or given in the collective memory.

So in 2016, after Hillary explained the private server and it was established that no top secret material was inappropriately disseminated or hacked, the press elongated the arc of the story. Since Trump had so many scandals unfolding day after day, the press felt compelled to "balance" their coverage by repeatedly bringing up Hillary's emails every time a new Trump scandal emerged. But the media, and thus the public, never focused exclusively on any ONE Trump scandal. They came, they went, they disappeared.

This gave a structural media advantage to Trump.

So when Comey came out shortly before the election with a "new" Hillary email announcement (even though it was nothing new, and not a scandal), the public collective consciousness was primed to take the information as confirmation that Hillary had done something wrong. "OMG, it's one more thing! We can't trust her with top secret information! She's going to be tied up in court!" The new narrative reinforced the old narrative. Even though the old narrative was fueled by mistruths, propaganda and repetition of lies.

I warned people at the time that posting Hillary Clinton email stories every day WAS HELPING TRUMP. Even if the posted story was factual and not exaggerated, it was adding to the collective weight of, "BUT HER EMAILS!"

So here we are again. Biden's presidency has been scandal free and his administration has mostly worked like a well oiled machine. There are a hundred amazing policy accomplishments for every off decision. No administration is perfect.

On the other hand, Trump's post-presidency has been filled with more scandals, court cases, and criminal indictments that's it's hard to keep track of them all. Business fraud, insurrection, espionage, stealing state secrets, wanting to become a dictator, rape, felonies. and on and on.

When the economy was doing badly, the media beat Biden over the head with it every day. When the economy improved, the media either didn't acknowledge or played it down, and still beat Biden over the head with it. Then when the economy turned the corner, the media started leaving Biden's name out of the positive headlines. They gave him no credit for low unemployment, reducing inflation. stock market records, lowering the deficit, infrastructure, manufacturing jobs, combating climate change. And on and on.

But the media has to "balance" their coverage and there has to be "both sides" of the story. So for every Trump scandal, they had to do a "But Biden is old!" story. Over and over again. For any one Trump scandal story they would write 10 Biden is old stories.

Again, they were filling the news echo system and our collective consciousness with the Biden is old narrative through sheer repetition.

Now Biden is old. Just like Hillary had a private email server. But those things in and of themselves are not disqualifying or the deal breakers the press has made them out to be. Trump is old too, but the press doesn't focus on that or any of the hundreds of gaffs he makes at his rallies.

So again, Trump has a structural advantage. When he tells 100 lies in a day, it's not "new news" because he always lies. So the structure benefits him and his lies. He did this at the debate and instead of focusing in Trump's lies, everyone focused on Biden's performance. Why? Because it reinforced the "Biden is old!" narrative that was already in the news eco-system.

In 2016 Hillary lost the electoral college by only 77,000 votes in 3 swing states. In those same 3 swing states, 200,000 people voted for Jill Stein.

This election will be similarly close.

You have two choices.

You can support Biden 100% and stop criticizing him. Full stop. It serves no useful purpose in this election. It is solely a personal indulgence of the need to express your own feelings. You can choose to keep it to yourself until after the election. Biden is the nominee. Period.

Focus your criticism where it belongs -- on convicted felon Trump, the Republican Party, the right-wing Supreme Court, Project 2025, and the billionaires who support them in turning America into right-wing fascist authoritarian oligarchy.

Or you can support him 90% and keep criticizing him and thus add to the negativity and structural system that helps Trump every time you do it.

That is my theory of the case. That is all.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject:

Here's an example of how misinformation spreads and how people are primed to believe it, and thus perpetuate a false narrative.

There is a right-wing propaganda meme about Biden that he can "only" read off a teleprompter and is incapable of simply talking on his own. (Actually if you look back over the last page you will see a poster implied that in his response to me).

In yesterday's statement, Biden quoted the Supreme Court. He said, "Quote, (read the quote). Then said, "End of quote." That's a normal thing to do. But a right-wing group clipped the video and tried to make it look like Biden was so stupid that he was reading "end quote" like it was a stage direction to him that he was mistakenly reading out loud.

Quote:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Biden is literally reading a quote and then says “end of quote” to signify that he’s done reading the quote. Totally normal yet almost 2 million views on this clip 👇

Quote:
Leading Report @LeadingReport

BREAKING: Joe Biden reads “end of quote” during his speech.
(including a clipped video)

Eventually the Twitter community comments stepped in to clarify:

Quote:
Readers added context they thought people might want to know. While the caption is factually correct, it attempts to mislead the reader into thinking this was an error or inappropriate on the president's part. However the president was quoting the supreme court justice's words, to saying "end-quote" was appropriate.

But it got 2 million views before the clarification was added. So now 2 million people believe they saw evidence of Biden being so feeble that he can only read off a teleprompter and can't discern what the words mean.

Because they are already primed to believe that from all that's come before. No amount of correcting after the fact will change their minds. They will tell you they saw Biden short-circuiting with their own eyes.

link

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I don't know but I know he won't send a drone strike on Mar a Lago. Because he has integrity and Trump has NONE.

Re-read this in light of what I posted above and note how I responded. I responded by supporting Biden and attacking Trump.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/02/trump-sentencing-delay-supreme-court-ruling/?itid=hp_alert

Quote:
Trump’s N.Y. hush money sentencing may be postponed due to immunity ruling

Donald Trump’s sentencing in his N.Y. hush money case may be postponed from next week in light of Monday’s Supreme Court immunity ruling, with the Manhattan district attorney saying he is not opposed to a delay requested by Trump’s lawyers so they can seek to vacate his conviction.
The district attorney’s office noted in a letter to the court Tuesday that sentencing would have to be delayed from July 11 for the defense to make its case about how the Supreme Court’s decision could impact Trump’s state court prosecution.

He’s going to get away with it. All of it.

We’re so completely and absolutely (bleep).
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta @malcolmkenyatta

Donald Trump: I’ll be a dictator on day one.

Supreme Court: ok, great.

Us this November: F*ck No.

I think it's gonna be: "I'll be a dictator from day one."
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/01/us/politics/trump-liz-cheney-treason-jail.html

Quote:
Trump Amplifies Calls to Jail Top Elected Officials, Invokes Military Tribunals

A post that Mr. Trump circulated on Sunday called for Liz Cheney to be prosecuted by a military court reserved for enemy combatants and war criminals.

If voters don’t do the right thing, many people are going to need to flee the country on January 20th.

There’s no way this doesn’t result in violence if Trump is elected.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject:

For general post-debate trend purposes. Feel free to ignore.

Quote:
Political Polls @Politics_Polls

2024 National GE:

Biden 43% (+2)
Trump 41%
Biden 40% (+1)
Trump 39%
Kennedy 10%
West 2%
Stein 1%

I&I/TIPP, 1,244 RV, 6/26-28
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

The media is burying Biden right now.
Just saw the polling. Holy Moly.
72% of registered voters saying he doesn't have the mental & cognitive health to serve as President.
46% of Democratic registered voters saying he should not be running for President.
LINK

It’s difficult to imagine any candidate winning an election when 72% of voters think they’re mentally unfit to serve. Half his own party thinks he’s unfit. He’s down 6 points in the latest CNN poll. We can insist on fealty to this sinking candidate or find an alternative. Those are the (unpleasant) options.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the Dems lose in November, America loses.

And if the Dems lose, it won't be Joe Biden or the DNC who will be to blame. It will be Left-leaning voters who allowed the media and the Right to manipulate them into fueling the firestorm of meaningless distractions of age and public speaking prowess—when they should have focused on the human, civil, and environmental protections they will be pissing away with a Republican victory.

The sole reason Biden ran in 2020 was that he saw the urgency of the moment, realized Trump would likely win, and wanted to spare America a second disastrous second term—and he did. It seems far too many people want to toss this fact aside as prisoners of the momentary news cycle.

If President Biden decides to step out of the race then we should passionately embrace whoever replaces him but until that moment comes or if it does not, he and his Administration and party are all that stands between America and its demise.

If Joe Biden’s age or his speaking style or his physical appearance or his debate performance are more important to you than beating back the fascism breathing down our collective necks you’re failing America and you need to do better.

https://johnpavlovitz.substack.com/p/if-youre-preoccupied-with-joe-bidens
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3725, 3726, 3727 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next
Page 3726 of 3732
Jump to: