THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3723, 3724, 3725 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

Why? He could just have any numbers of the majority in Congress killed until the Republicans have the majority.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

I don't get how corrupt the US Supreme Court is and no one cares. No one is accountable.
How this kind of ruling puts Trump back in power.
I really feel Trump is going to win in November and the US is going to lose the 200+ years of history all flushed like a big turd down the toilet and no one cares.
It's a scary time.
It's crazy that Trump is immuned from any responsibility.
Watch, even found guilty recently on the hush money payments, he won't serve a single day in jail and will have a small fine to pay.

I worry for my three kids that we live in a democracy slowly going down the sinkhole. I hate Trump and every turd supporter of his.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
This is why I wanted us to pack the court and get rid of the filibuster when we won that Georgia Senate seat in 2021.

I guess Biden could technically do that now as an “official act”.

Sinema and Manchin were a no on getting rid of the filibuster. Both take right-wing dark money. So there you go. The right-wing billionaires and Federalist Society and the Koch Brothers got what they wanted. A slow motion coup via the courts.

And if you read their decision carefully, you notice that they retain a lot of control over whether something is an official act or not, so they can just deny Biden anything he wants to do. Hell, they’d probably declare expanding the court unconstitutional, because they’ve moved way past interpretation and into straight power grabbing.

Republican presidents will be above the law but Democratic presidents won't.

I still want to see Biden come out swinging and test it.

All student loans forgiven by executive order and I order the executive branch to ignore any court orders.

I am ordering unlimited battle support for Ukraine and I order the military to carry it out and ignore Congress.

I am ordering Medicare and Social Security exempt from any cuts in perpetuity by Executive order without congress.

Dare them to bring law suits.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In dividing official from unofficial conduct, courts may not inquire into the President's motives. Such a "highly intrusive" inquiry would risk exposing even the most obvious instances of official conduct to judicial examination on the mere allegation of improper purpose. Fitzgerald, 457 U. S., at 756. Nor may courts deem an action unofficial merely because it allegedly violates a generally applicable law. Otherwise, Presidents would be subject to trial on "every allegation that an action was unlawful," depriving immunity of its intended effect.

The motives can’t even be questioned. Kill members of congress? Sure. Can’t look into it because the president said they were threats and that is that. Murder journalists? President said they were spies, trust him. Can’t look into it! Declare Martial Law and decide to suspend all future elections because threats to democracy? Why not? Threats! Got to protect, can’t be inquired into!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Quote:
In dividing official from unofficial conduct, courts may not inquire into the President's motives. Such a "highly intrusive" inquiry would risk exposing even the most obvious instances of official conduct to judicial examination on the mere allegation of improper purpose. Fitzgerald, 457 U. S., at 756. Nor may courts deem an action unofficial merely because it allegedly violates a generally applicable law. Otherwise, Presidents would be subject to trial on "every allegation that an action was unlawful," depriving immunity of its intended effect.

The motives can’t even be questioned. Kill members of congress? Sure. Can’t look into it because the president said they were threats and that is that. Murder journalists? President said they were spies, trust him. Can’t look into it! Declare Martial Law and decide to suspend all future elections because threats to democracy? Why not? Threats! Got to protect, can’t be inquired into!

It's completely insane and antithetical to 250 years of democracy and rule of law. To say they went rogue is the understatement of the millennia. The founders are rolling over in their graves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject:

HAPPY FREAKING FOURTH OF JULY, AMERICA!

Prepare for the Hunger Games. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I don't get how corrupt the US Supreme Court is and no one cares. No one is accountable.
How this kind of ruling puts Trump back in power.
I really feel Trump is going to win in November and the US is going to lose the 200+ years of history all flushed like a big turd down the toilet and no one cares.
It's a scary time.
It's crazy that Trump is immuned from any responsibility.
Watch, even found guilty recently on the hush money payments, he won't serve a single day in jail and will have a small fine to pay.

I worry for my three kids that we live in a democracy slowly going down the sinkhole. I hate Trump and every turd supporter of his.

This is why the Supreme Court has always been the target of the authoritarian plotters, because the unmistakeable weak spot in a rule of law society is that there must be someone to adjudicate the final decision on the law. Own that and you can do anything.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Republican presidents will be above the law but Democratic presidents won't.

I think this is key. SCOTUS is now the unelected coregency.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

Now we know why Sotomayor made that remark a couple of months ago about having moments at the end of the day about wanting to break down into tears. I feel so bad for the progressive justices. Can you imagine having to go to work and look these evil traitors in the face every day?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject:

I'm not confident about the media reports on Biden. They're slanted. What they report is mostly doom and gloom. As CL pointed out most cooperate media is owned by billionaires who want Trump in office for their own personal gain. My concern is Dumbed Down America. They're not thinking beyond age. The Democrats have a steep hill to climb.

For those who're lamenting about Biden's age, I give you Judge Judy. She's 81

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I fear not enough people understand how significant this is and the profound implications for the country.

We literally have a guy running for president who said he wants to be a dictator “for a day.” He’s talked about killing his enemies. This aren’t theoretical things. He’s said what he’s going to do. He’s backed by a published manifesto about how the country will be changed. It’s all right in the (bleep) open.

Honestly if after all of this people are still unmotivated to get off their asses and vote for Biden and democrats up and down the ballot to save us from this, the country deserves what’s coming to it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
A lot of prominent democrats are probably going to have to flee the country or risk being jailed or executed on Inauguration Day. Why give him the chance?

It will be quite ironic when political dissidents from America will have to flee to escape from a Donald Trump administration.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject:

Are we all ready for 4 years of Trump? I'm not....
All the uneducated, hateful racist rednecks are going to come out of the woodwork.
America is DOOMED!!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject:

Rounding up dissidents may now be an official act, per the Supreme Court.

We are now sailing in uncharted waters.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject:

King Trump doesn’t even need the military to carry out his official acts. He could just tell the Proud Boys to no longer “stand by”, let them commit all the murder they want of his opponents or whatever group, and then just pardon them all. Why not? Can’t be questioned.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject:

Trump: I could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue.

SCOTUS: Yup. Go for it!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject:

To make this terrible day even worse, Ralph Nader comes out hiding and blames Hillary for all of this.

Arghhhh
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
To make this terrible day even worse, Ralph Nader comes out hiding and blames Hillary for all of this.

Arghhhh

Oh ffs
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject:

We had a really good thing going - leader of the free world, more prosperous than any other empire in history, but that wasn't enough, and now we're staring down at a fringe religious minority, compromised by hostile foreign state actors, which could soon be in charge with no checks and balances. I don't see how this ends except with political violence unless we turn out with overwhelming force at the ballot box in November.

I hope these (bleep) (bleep) are happy with how they destroyed the country.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

AOC to file articles of impeachment...

https://x.com/AOC/status/1807814421168710111
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:

Win the election, win the house, and keep at least 51 in the senate, impeach and convict these (bleep), then fix it so this can never happen again.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:

Good as a symbolic gesture, but ultimately pointless.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Arghhhh

If it wasn’t for Ralph, Gore would have been president and maybe we wouldn’t be boiling like frogs in a pot as our planet becomes uninhabitable.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Win the election, win the house, and keep at least 51 in the senate, impeach and convict these (bleep), then fix it so this can never happen again.

You'd need 2/3 of the Senate to convict, as it's in the Constitution.

Or Biden can use some of his new "official" powers.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Good as a symbolic gesture, but ultimately pointless.

Yes, but the job of Democrats now is to energize the Democratic base and educate the "low-information" voters about the EMERGENCY that exists because of the court. And they need to use every means at their disposable to attract the attention of the media to repeat it this to the masses. This alone won't do anything, but we need the Democrats to FIGHT. We need them to appear to be fighting tooth and nail like it's an emergency -- because it is.

The worst thing right now is for Democrats to remain mute. That includes Biden. He should be giving an oval office address or press conference fighting back on this outrageous decision.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3723, 3724, 3725 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next
Page 3724 of 3732
Jump to: