THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3722, 3723, 3724 ... 3737, 3738, 3739  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
John W. Dean @JohnWDean

“When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."

Richard Nixon, 1974

Affirmed, US Supreme Court, 2024
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject:

I have ZERO confidence that the majority of the voters in this Country are going to understand how terrifying this ruling is. They will QUICKLY find out if Trump is elected again. The dumbing down of this Country is complete. Next comes the fall. Led by Donald Trump of all people, LOL. This Country is toast. Tens of millions of morons.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject:

With today's SCOTUS ruling, what prevents a President to simply kill another US citizen due to their determination that "it was needed for the US"?

Sounds like a King to me.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject:

If Biden wasn’t a moral person he could have these traitors shipped to Guantanamo Bay and not have to worry about it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject:

This is why I wanted us to pack the court and get rid of the filibuster when we won that Georgia Senate seat in 2021.

I guess Biden could technically do that now as an “official act”.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta @malcolmkenyatta

Donald Trump: I’ll be a dictator on day one.

Supreme Court: ok, great.

Us this November: F*ck No.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
This is why I wanted us to pack the court and get rid of the filibuster when we won that Georgia Senate seat in 2021.

Sinema and Manchin were a no on getting rid of the filibuster. Both take right-wing dark money. So there you go. The right-wing billionaires and Federalist Society and the Koch Brothers got what they wanted. A slow motion coup via the courts.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject:

I guess you have to give Republicans credit on one thing, they patiently waited this out for years. Every election they showed up, even after losing. Even after not always getting what they wanted. They showed up. Eventually it worked out for them to pack the court to their liking. Now they are just a few “unmotivated voters” away from Donald Trump being president for life and a permanent ruling minority.

THIS is why you have to show up every single election and vote, even if you don’t completely agree with the candidate on everything.

Hating what the Republicans have done is a given, but I’m still SO (bleep) PISSED at the people that stayed home or voted third party in 2016.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject:

As long as the president officially orders it he can get away with it. If anyone has honestly been paying attention, Trump could and would do this. HIs supporters could and would support it.

If this isn't alarming to people then they're not paying attention or they're complicit. What a disgusting and dark day for america.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject:

So to recap this past few days:

It’s constitutionally okay to have a king
We have a council of ruling robes with lifetime appointments who’ve usurped the executive and legislature to make laws

We’re like half a step away from perpetual totalitarianism.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject:

They’ve basically made it so all acts are presumed to be official by a president until proven otherwise by the prosecution. So why wouldn’t a president that is being investigated for illegal acts just keep killing people until it goes away? And who’s going to prosecute a president knowing they can just legally murder them?

Even worse it says that the motives of the president cannot be considered. So there can’t even be a question as to why a president did something illegal

Last edited by trmiv on Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
John W. Dean @JohnWDean

“When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."

Richard Nixon, 1974

Affirmed, US Supreme Court, 2024

And by this ruling Nixon’s tapes couldn’t be used as evidence. Good lord.

Quote:
3) Presidents cannot be indicted based on conduct for which they are immune from prosecution. On remand, the District Court must carefully analyze the indictment’s remaining allegations to determine whether they too involve conduct for which a President must be immune from prosecution. And the parties and the District Court must ensure that sufficient allegations support the indictment’s charges without such conduct. Testimony or private records of the President or his advisers probing such conduct may not be admitted as evidence at trial. Pp. 30–32
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
So to recap this past few days:

It’s constitutionally okay to have a king
We have a council of ruling robes with lifetime appointments who’ve usurped the executive and legislature to make laws

We’re like half a step away from perpetual totalitarianism.

Quote:
Stephanie Mencimer @smencimer (Mother Jones)

just to recap: Scotus this term has said the president is king, the administrative state is dead, and bribing public officials is ok. The justices have created a powderkeg, where people can't solve their problems through the government or hold anyone in charge accountable.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject:

BigJosh951 wrote:
I have ZERO confidence that the majority of the voters in this Country are going to understand how terrifying this ruling is. They will QUICKLY find out if Trump is elected again. The dumbing down of this Country is complete. Next comes the fall. Led by Donald Trump of all people, LOL. This Country is toast. Tens of millions of morons.

It's all about what narrative is dominant, and the media drives it.

Biden's approval rating started dropping as soon as the media turned on him after the Afghanistan withdrawal. Ever since they've been trying to destroy his presidency little by little, while normalizing Trump.

So these dumb voters can be swayed if the media did its job, but they're not. And it's part of the plan.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject:

Jack Smith should file a superseding indictment in Documents case and spill all the tea, put it all out there in the public domain, the entire case against Trump, all the evidence, the espionage, the videos, the witness testimony, all the dirty laundry. There is no reason to hold it back for a trial that will likely never happen.

Same with DC case. Just put it all out there BEFORE the election.

Preventing Trump from returning to the White House is more important than holding out for slim hope that you might actually successfully prosecute him under Federal law.

Thank god for the New York case which is business fraud and has nothing to do with his presidency. Ditto the E Jean Carrol case. Those he is still liable for.

Trump's sentencing for the 33 felonies is coming up soon. I wonder if the judge in that case will rethink the weight of the sentence in light of everything that just happened?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject:

In fact, if Trump regains power he will probably go after the judges and prosecutors first. He'd try to arrest Jack Smith and send him to Gitmo or worse.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Jack Smith should file a superseding indictment in Documents case and spill all the tea, put it all out there in the public domain, the entire case against Trump, all the evidence, the espionage, the videos, the witness testimony, all the dirty laundry. There is no reason to hold it back for a trial that will likely never happen.

Preventing Trump from returning to the White House is more important than holding out for slim hope that you might actually successfully prosecute him under Federal law.

Thank god for the New York case which is business fraud and has nothing to do with his presidency. Ditto the E Jean Carrol case. Those he is still liable for.

Trump's sentencing for the 33 felonies is coming up soon. I wonder if the judge in that case will rethink the weight of the sentence in light of everything that just happened?

He's probably thinking, "If I give Trump any kind of punishment with my sentencing, he'll have me killed me next January . . . he won't even need me to fall out a window".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He's probably thinking, "If I give Trump any kind of punishment with my sentencing, he'll have me killed me next January . . . he won't even need me to fall out a window".

I think that's already a given. Either make a move now and/or prepare to leave the country.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject:

A lot of prominent democrats are probably going to have to flee the country or risk being jailed or executed on Inauguration Day. Why give him the chance?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject:

A little comic relief:

Quote:
Angry Staffer 🌻 @Angry_Staffer

“Oh, that was Trump Force One?”

“I thought it was a hostile aircraft. Must be the dementia”

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

What Biden should do at this point is to call a PC and announce that in light of the SCOTUS ruling regarding absolute immunity for the POTUS, he is obligated to utilize that immunity to save the country from the existential threat that is Trump and have him executed as an example to the GOP of what is in store for those that still support their march to totalitarianism. And then, when the GOP and the media freak out about how heavy handed the reaction is, simply say, "Hey this is what you want . . . you have 3 months to fix it, or I will".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject:

Defund the Supreme Court
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Defund the Supreme Court

Good luck. Idiots like Jim Jordan are already talking about how wonderful the decision is.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Sinema and Manchin were a no on getting rid of the filibuster. Both take right-wing dark money. So there you go. The right-wing billionaires and Federalist Society and the Koch Brothers got what they wanted. A slow motion coup via the courts.

And if you read their decision carefully, you notice that they retain a lot of control over whether something is an official act or not, so they can just deny Biden anything he wants to do. Hell, they’d probably declare expanding the court unconstitutional, because they’ve moved way past interpretation and into straight power grabbing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

If trump wins but we win both houses, the 4 years will fortunately be a nightmare for him
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3722, 3723, 3724 ... 3737, 3738, 3739  Next
Page 3723 of 3739
Jump to: