THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3719, 3720, 3721 ... 3724, 3725, 3726  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Biden did well at today's rally, but in a clip of it that I saw, he did cough. So maybe he really did have a cold yesterday at the debate. If so, we have no reason to worry about his health or cognitive fitness.

Fools gold … he had the advantage of teleprompters and a script. He needs to stay away from depositions, debates, press conferences and areas where he is left to his own devices.

How do teleprompters and a script make someone sound a lot more energetic and vigorous?

Structure. That was a huge issue last night. He started on one topic and veered

How did that magically get rid of his hoarse voice and lack of energy and vitality?

I saw both. If you didn’t have the debate to compare it against he was just an average joe that is still old and at times hard to comprehend. On the flip side of the debate it was better.

To add a headline that just popped up:
The world saw Biden deteriorating, and the dems ignored it.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Biden did well at today's rally, but in a clip of it that I saw, he did cough. So maybe he really did have a cold yesterday at the debate. If so, we have no reason to worry about his health or cognitive fitness.

Fools gold … he had the advantage of teleprompters and a script. He needs to stay away from depositions, debates, press conferences and areas where he is left to his own devices.

How do teleprompters and a script make someone sound a lot more energetic and vigorous?

Structure. That was a huge issue last night. He started on one topic and veered

How did that magically get rid of his hoarse voice and lack of energy and vitality?

I saw both. If you didn’t have the debate to compare it against he was just an average joe that is still old and at times hard to comprehend. On the flip side of the debate it was better.

To add a headline that just popped up:
The world saw Biden deteriorating, and the dems ignored it.

Biden wasn't "hard to comprehend" at his rally today at all.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject:

I finally finished watching the debate from beginning to end. Biden certainly came across terribly., I understand people’s hand wringing and concern moving forward. But there was nothing about it that made me think that suddenly in the last several days he had completely lost his cognitive abilities like some are saying. He was fine last time I saw him speak a week or so ago (and no, it wasn’t off a teleprompter). This idea that he has suddenly lost his ability to communicate without a script has not been born out with any evidence other than last night. That’s by no means meant to say he’s as sharp as he was a couple of years ago. But I haven’t seen anything that makes me agree with ghe people saying he’s completely lost it.

The idea that the discussion now ignores Trump’s psychotic, incoherent rambling of lies, narcissism and hate and focuses on one poor debate performance is absolutely insane. We are on the brink of losing our democracy and freedom from a very sinister threat from the Right and people are acting like rats on sinking ship. It makes me think of the saying, “ and this is why can’t have nice things” except on a level where nice things is a life free of fascism.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I finally finished watching the debate from beginning to end. Biden certainly came across terribly., I understand people’s hand wringing and concern moving forward. But there was nothing about it that made me think that suddenly in the last several days he had completely lost his cognitive abilities like some are saying. He was fine last time I saw him speak a week or so ago (and no, it wasn’t off a teleprompter). This idea that he has suddenly lost his ability to communicate without a script has not been born out with any evidence other than last night. That’s by no means meant to say he’s as sharp as he was a couple of years ago. But I haven’t seen anything that makes me agree with ghe people saying he’s completely lost it.

The idea that the discussion now ignores Trump’s psychotic, incoherent rambling of lies, narcissism and hate and focuses on one poor debate performance is absolutely insane. We are on the brink of losing our democracy and freedom from a very sinister threat from the Right and people are acting like rats on sinking ship. It makes me think of the saying, “ and this is why can’t have nice things” except on a level where nice things is a life free of fascism.

Yup, yup and yup.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately regardless of how Biden is actually doing on the job and at rallies, people saw last night. Memes are being passed around about it. Jokes are being made about it. The wolves are out in the media about it. Republicans are using just straight footage from the debate to attack him. Undoing the damage from this is going to take a lot, especially with the media piling on. Hopefully he’s strong at the convention and the next debate (if there is one). I don’t think he should pull out, he’s got to stay the course.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Whether it's real or not, the perception is there and that isn't going away. And saying "he's fine" and "not fair" won't change that. Better off admitting the issue and dealing with it than anything else because the issue isn't just right now. It's also 2 years from now. I don't know what the answer is, but being indignant ain’t it.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Unfortunately regardless of how Biden is actually doing on the job and at rallies, people saw last night. Memes are being passed around about it. Jokes are being made about it. The wolves are out in the media about it. Republicans are using just straight footage from the debate to attack him. Undoing the damage from this is going to take a lot, especially with the media piling on. Hopefully he’s strong at the convention and the next debate (if there is one). I don’t think he should pull out, he’s got to stay the course.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Abortion, birth control and IVF are on the ballot.
Democracy in on the ballot.
Healthcare is on the ballot.
Climate change is on the ballot.

Americans either care about those things or they don't.

It's a binary choice.

Vote D to keep Democracy.
Don't vote D and we lose Democracy.

Those are the choices.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

For some amazing news:
For the first time since 2018, homeless count finds fewer people living on L.A. streets
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Whether it's real or not, the perception is there and that isn't going away. And saying "he's fine" and "not fair" won't change that. Better off admitting the issue and dealing with it than anything else because the issue isn't just right now. It's also 2 years from now. I don't know what the answer is, but being indignant ain’t it.

I know taking the defeatist approach of throwing one’s hands in the air and surrendering to the narrative that serves the Republican desire to negate Biden is definitely not it. Biden’s cognition may be a bigger issue in a couple of years but Trump is a guaranteed end to life as free Americans on January 20 of next year if he wins. Some people have lost all sense of perspective based on one bad performance while ignoring all the positive, productive and sane things Biden has accomplished right up to and including today.

Is Biden the ideal candidate we need or want right now? No, but he is what have and if you aren’t horrified by the alternative, you better reevaluate pretty damn quick.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Have ever met a normal 80-year old in your real life? Biden is higher functioning than most 65-year-olds. Have ever had family member who *actually* has dementia? I assure you they do not look, talk or act like Biden. It's actually insulting.

I have experience with family members who had dementia as well as family members that were pretty sharp as elderly people and aged very quickly in a short span of time. I suspect Biden is more the latter than the former. I’m not equipped to diagnose dementia but I don’t think he has it anyway. I’ve seen people go from pretty vibrant and active to looking and sounding very old and diminished within a handful of years. I’m sure Biden has his moments when he’s energized and doing well. We’ve seen some of those moments televised. But last night was also hardly the first time we’ve seen him look extremely old and compromised. His senior moments happen a lot, and are increasing in regularity and they’re happening at a very bad time for his re-election chances. Comparing his condition to Trump is the wrong question to be asking. Biden is on track to lose the election. He’s very unpopular president and his best chance at assuring the electorate that he is fit to serve made the issue much, much worse. There is time to pivot to someone else if he were to make the decision to step aside. That isn’t a perfect solution, but neither is sticking with this candidate. Personally, I think Trump is a very weak candidate and a younger, polished Democrat would do very well against him.

I want to reiterate that I like Joe Biden. He saved us from a second Trump term and I’m grateful to him for that. He might need to save us again by stepping aside. I don’t think in his current state he can effectively communicate the message necessary to bring this home. Look how inarticulate he was and how poorly he did on debate questions that should have been home runs for him. He’s just not up to this task. And who can blame him? Most people his age are well into retirement, not dealing with the rigors of an incredibly taxing and demanding job like that. We absolutely need to defeat Trump in November. He hasn’t seemed like the guy capable of doing it for some time now.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Today's rallies might be helping to ease everyone who follow Biden and are paying attention behind the scenes. But the people on the fence and folks less involved couldn't care less about what he's saying at any rallies.

Last night was the BIG STAGE and he fumbled.

How about this example? Kobe comes back from injury, shoots 3-17 with 10 turnovers and looks like a shell of himself. Next day he is at practice and is dunking on everyone and looking like his usual self. Sure, WE at LG are feeling a little better and less concerned... but fans of the other 29 teams aren't watching our practice highlights. They are only watching the games. In the majority of the public's eyes, Kobe is done. We just have to hope he shows up and shows out in the next game.

Here's hoping Biden kills it and destroys Trump at the next one. Watch Trump duck out of the next one though. smh
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm already over the debate, with the crap the Supreme Court pulled today.
The ripple effects are terrifying.

I can't say confidently after last night, Biden is an ideal option for beating Trump.

But I'm somehow even more motivated (didn't know it was possible) to make sure Trump doesn't get elected again.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yup, yup and yup.

I don't think the "has Biden 'lost it' " conversation is relevant.
I think the more important question is: what pathways does Biden have for turning around the narrative surrounding him? 2 paths, used in the past, come to mind.

1) The next debate.
2) Biden dominating the news cycle outside the other debate and pushing a new narrative.

I'm not betting on him "beating" Trump in the other debate scheduled for ABC. I'm wondering if Trump even follows through and does that debate. Trump has nothing to gain from doing it. Like the Republican primary debates.

And Biden isn't going to do the amount of rallies, interviews, appearances, necessary to dominate the news cycle across partisan lines outside of a debate.

I still want Biden to win. I don't think changing the nominee is practical or a likely pathway to success. Not offering any answers. It's a tough situation.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
strong9 wrote:

I know taking the defeatist approach of throwing one’s hands in the air and surrendering to the narrative that serves the Republican desire to negate Biden is definitely not it. Biden’s cognition may be a bigger issue in a couple of years but Trump is a guaranteed end to life as free Americans on January 20 of next year if he wins. Some people have lost all sense of perspective based on one bad performance while ignoring all the positive, productive and sane things Biden has accomplished right up to and including today.

Is Biden the ideal candidate we need or want right now? No, but he is what have and if you aren’t horrified by the alternative, you better reevaluate pretty damn quick.

Who says I am saying anything else? I'm saying mobilize and go on the offensive and choreograph a "lucid" Biden. How you do that I don't know. But crying foul or it didn't happen isn't the answer. Too late for that.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bill Clinton @BillClinton

I’ll leave the debate rating to the pundits, but here’s what I know: facts and history matter. Joe Biden has given us 3 years of solid leadership, steadying us after the pandemic, creating a record number of new jobs, making real progress solving the climate crisis, and launching a successful effort in reducing inflation, all while pulling us out of the quagmire Donald Trump left us in. That’s what’s really at stake in November.

Quote:

Barack Obama @BarackObama

Bad debate nights happen. Trust me, I know. But this election is still a choice between someone who has fought for ordinary folks his entire life and someone who only cares about himself. Between someone who tells the truth; who knows right from wrong and will give it to the American people straight — and someone who lies through his teeth for his own benefit. Last night didn’t change that, and it’s why so much is at stake in November.
http://joebiden.com

Quote:
Hillary Clinton @HillaryClinton

The choice in this election remains very simple.

It's a choice between someone who cares about you—your rights, your prospects, your future—versus someone who's only in it for himself.

I'll be voting Biden.

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi @TeamPelosi

I tore up the former president’s State of the Union address because it was a manifesto of lies. Tonight he presented another pack of lies which along, with his candidacy, must be rejected. How dare he place the blame for January 6th on anyone but himself, the inciter of an insurrection?

Quote:
Jim Clyburn @ClyburnSC06

There was only one candidate on that stage last night who has an incredible record of accomplishments under their belt.

If you believe in freedom, progress, and substance, @JoeBiden is your guy. #StaytheCourse

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject:

From Trump rally yesterday:

Quote:
Acyn @Acyn

Trump: All they know is electric. They want electric planes. What happens if the sun isn't shining while you're up in the air?

Quote:
Acyn @Acyn

Trump: Schumer has become a Palestinian. He’s Jewish but he’s become a Palestinian
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yup, yup and yup.

I think the more important question is: what pathways does Biden have for turning around the narrative surrounding him? 2 paths, used in the past, come to mind.

1) The next debate.
2) Biden dominating the news cycle outside the other debate and pushing a new narrative.

I'm not betting on him "beating" Trump in the other debate scheduled for ABC. I'm wondering if Trump even follows through and does that debate. Trump has nothing to gain from doing it. Like the Republican primary debates.

And Biden isn't going to do the amount of rallies, interviews, appearances, necessary to dominate the news cycle across partisan lines outside of a debate.

I still want Biden to win. I don't think changing the nominee is practical or a likely pathway to success. Not offering any answers. It's a tough situation.

Biden doesn’t really need pathways to turn around narrative. He is who he is. Cuban said it best:
The question is what features voters believe make a better POTUS : Feeble, Capable and Ethical vs Vigorous, Unethical and Incapable of telling the truth.

That’s it. Both guys have already shown us who they are. There is one choice if these are the guys.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yup, yup and yup.

1) The next debate.

It is not what the people who populate this thread think, including myself. I don't think Biden has lost it. But others have thought this for some time (or why is he losing in the polls to a felon) and Biden solidified that concern. I see Trump capitalizing on this for four months with comments such as: Do you want the old feeble confused guy you watched, you saw with your own eyes, in charge of a timely response, when some international emergency occurs, if it happens in the evening after his bedtime? I destroyed him in a setting of his choice after he prepped for weeks. How's this senile old man going to deal with Iran in the spur of the moment? Trump won't let the voters forget this. Guaranteed.

I can say, you can say, everyone herein can say, but he has great people around him to assist.

But I doubt that argument lands much with those predisposed to thinking he is not only too old today, but what about in four years.

I can say, you can say, everyone herein can say, but Trump lied his arse off. But just how many will spend the time to listen to us?

The CNN polling, which almost always if not always shows a democrat winning, had Trump wining 67-33%.

With the Imperial SCOTUS and an ever more likely new Trump term, being treated as an Imperial President, I have never feared for this country like I do today.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
For some amazing news:
For the first time since 2018, homeless count finds fewer people living on L.A. streets

A neighbor of mine is a film director and is a booster for Mayor Bass, had her speak at his house and invited everyone in the neighborhood to come over (it felt like a pre fundraising move)...All the Mayor talked about was homelessness, and that was her focus, and how to deal with the Homeless that refuse the offer of shelter.
I've noticed less encampments myself.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

I wonder if Lakersanity (original poster) or one of the mods could or would insert a poll asking if Biden should drop out/stay in, with these options:

I'm a Democrat and I want him to drop out
I'm a Democrat and I want him to stay in
I'm a Republican and I want him to drop out
I'm a Republican and I want him to stay in
I'm an Independent and I want him to drop out
I'm an Independent and I want him to stay in
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

It's crazy (using the kindest word possible) that with an evil POS like Trump potentially gaining office again, thus meaning the end of democracy in this country, the eradication of basic rights for the majority of the population and a whole lot more of equally troubling things in regards to the economy and climate, Biden is the problem . . .

Some people have lost their f#@$ing minds over one horrible debate performance and we are going to deserve every disastrous thing that comes out way when the 2025 plan kicks in because of it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

Person 1: If an 81-year-old person applied for a job at your company and appeared as Biden did on stage, would they even be granted an interview?

Person 2: Probably not. But if they already had the job, were crushing it, and someone who had tried to blow up the building applied, you'd have a different story.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

The New York Times editorial board has urged Biden to withdraw.

I wonder what it would take for them to urge for Trump withdraw. Stabbing Jake Tapper during the debate? Sexually assaulting Dana Bash?

The media wants drama and chaos, and Biden withdrawing will create unprecedented drama and chaos. They already have Trump on the ticket, and they'd like to keep him there because of clicks and future books.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The New York Times editorial board has urged Biden to withdraw.

I wonder what it would take for them to urge for Trump withdraw. Stabbing Jake Tapper during the debate? Sexually assaulting Dana Bash?

The media wants drama and chaos, and Biden withdrawing will create unprecedented drama and chaos. They already have Trump on the ticket, and they'd like to keep him there because of clicks and future books.

Morning Joe is the most loyal program to Biden the past 4 years.
White House aids go on the show between 7 and 7:40 because they know Biden makes time to watch it then.
Biden has called Joe Scarborough to get his opinion on issues.

When I saw Scarborough say yesterday on his show, "if he [Biden] was CEO and he turned in a performance like that, would any corporation, would any fortune 500 company in America, keep him on as CEO?". I was shocked.

Scarborough went on to say, with how high the stakes are (like DMR mentioned in his post). It's a fair question to ask.

I'm still waiting to see how the polling changes. But considering Biden was behind Trump in key swing states before the debate. I'm not optimistic.
Before the debate he was polling behind Dem Senators up for re-election in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. We need those states in the electoral college.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3719, 3720, 3721 ... 3724, 3725, 3726  Next
Page 3720 of 3726
Jump to: