THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3717, 3718, 3719 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here's Biden at a rally today. Sounding like himself, strong, voice improved, making cogent points, pointing out all the ways Trump lied last night:

Quote:
Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Compare this President Biden to the one on stage at the debate last night.

link to video

Crowd fired up and chanting "FOUR MORE YEARS!"

It seems CNN is carrying it live.

Maybe it's just me CL, but.. it reminds me of a post you made a few weeks back..

ChefLinda wrote:

4) Trump is "sundowning" and his handler's are trying to limit his evening rallies when he is prone to even more nonsensical gibberish, gafs, mistakes and brain glitches.

Is the Biden of last night vs today an example of this?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject:

Biden takes responsibility for debate performance at rally today:

Quote:
Sarah Reese Jones @PoliticusSarah

Biden speaks honestly to America about his debate performance, " I don't debate as well as I used to but I know what I do know, how to tell the truth. I know right from wrong. I know how to get things done. When you get knocked down, you get back up."

link to video
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here's Biden at a rally today. Sounding like himself, strong, voice improved, making cogent points, pointing out all the ways Trump lied last night:

Quote:

link to video

Maybe it's just me CL, but.. it reminds me of a post you made a few weeks back..

ChefLinda wrote:

4) Trump is "sundowning" and his handler's are trying to limit his evening rallies when he is prone to even more nonsensical gibberish, gafs, mistakes and brain glitches.

What part of "Biden had a cold and was sick" do you not understand? Think what you want. I'm gonna keep posting facts.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

link to video

ChefLinda wrote:

I don't know, he immediately looked and sounded better after the debate. I think when he had the microphone and was able to just talk about what he wanted to instead of chasing down every red herring he looked more normal.

Immediately after the debate Biden talking to the crowd

Note he still sounds a little hoarse but he is speaking candidly and clearly.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject:

Biden is not hiding out at his golf course and only speaking in public once a week. Biden speaks in public every single day, morning, noon and night. To workers, to journalists, to world leaders, to Congressional leaders. to interviewers. He has a body of work that points to the fact that while he is getting older and isn't perfect, he is coherent, rational, functional and has a comprehensive grasp of all the issues. People who have interviewed him, met with him, sat in meetings with him all say the same thing -- he's still got it, he's still on the ball. He is not feeble or mentally diminished. Does anyone remember the State of the Union? It was just a few months ago.

I'm basing my opinion on his recent body of work and not one bad night.

If ya'll want to to go def con 3 without a wider perspective, I can't stop you. But I'm not going to stop combating the bull-(bleep) either.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Murdock wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

link to video

ChefLinda wrote:

I don't know, he immediately looked and sounded better after the debate. I think when he had the microphone and was able to just talk about what he wanted to instead of chasing down every red herring he looked more normal.

Immediately after the debate Biden talking to the crowd

Note he still sounds a little hoarse but he is speaking candidly and clearly.

Thank you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

link to video

Where in the hell was this Biden last night!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

Maybe the only good thing to come out of the bad debate performance is that the news networks are actually carrying Biden's rally live! They don't usually bother. But now that there's drama and potential eyeballs and clicks, they want in on the ratings. We'll see how long that lasts.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject:

What’s clear is that Biden can still sound great when he’s using a teleprompter in front of a hyped audience.

Not withstanding his strong teleprompter driven speech today, that debate performance made me sick to my stomach last night. It’s bad enough to have to watch a malignant narcissist spew his lies non stop…I am so very concerned. There has never been a more important election.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ted Corcoran (RedTRaccoon) @RedTRaccoon

Yes, it was really this loud in Raleigh.

I was there, and the crowd was going wild from start to finish.

Joe was on top of his game he lit this place up when he delivered this portion of the speech.

Quote:
Biden: "I give you my word. I would not be running again if I didn't believe with all my heart and soul that I can do this job. The stakes are too high."

Crowd chants: "Yes you can! Yes you can!"

Full 2-minute video of this section
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
What’s clear is that Biden can still sound great when he’s using a teleprompter in front of a hyped audience.

Not withstanding his strong teleprompter driven speech today, that debate performance made me sick to my stomach last night. It’s bad enough to have to watch a malignant narcissist spew his lies non stop…I am so very concerned. There has never been a more important election.

Yeah I'm confused, are we supposed to act like the debate never happened and just cancel it out of our memory? I'm glad Biden sounded better later in a comfortable environment, but it's OK to admit it happened and put the spin machine away.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject:

You guys are going to be a mess after the election, see you then. Later
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
You guys are going to be a mess after the election, see you then. Later

No, wait, come back…
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Murdock wrote:
I just cannot believe we're legitimately talking about a presidential election between 2 men who would be 83 and 79 years old at inauguration..

That is absolutely the least of the problems we are facing.

Seems you've come 'round Mule.

Come around to what? I'm speaking to perceptions based on last night. To borrow Tox's comment, "I'm not concerned about Biden as president. I am concerned about Biden as a candidate."

I have no concern's about his capabilities, because I have actually been paying attention to all of Biden's solid and productive accomplishments achieved during his time in office.

When I speak of the problems, I'm not referring to him, I'm referring to the atmosphere where people are claiming a guy who lied repeatedly, offered no substantive statements on policy and just repeated the same old meaningless somehow "won" the debate.

Biden has a perception problem issue at this point due to last night, but perception is not necessarily reality. The problem I am referring to is resolving and rehabilitating that perception, which I think may be a daunting task, but is possible, and his appearance after the debate is a sign of that. But just the fact that he's old? He's clearly shown what he is capable of over the last four years.

If you want to get into HOW and WHY we ended up with these two candidates at this point, that is a much larger discussion with a multitude of factors. The bottom line is this is indeed where we are, dissecting what lead us here is pointless at this point because it doesn't change the fact that we have a want to be dictator looking to seize control of the country in order to turn it into a fascist state running against an accomplished and capable man who wants to do what's best for the nation and ALL of it's citizens, and we have a (bleep) show where half the country is saying, "yeah, let's go with that fascist dude".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

You really can't be buying the stuff you're saying right now. You're just In denial with what you just witnessed. But when you wake up tomorrow and your entire party is in panic mode, it might sink in what just happened

I’m not in denial about anything. I’m simply pointing out your blatant hypocrisy, which there is no denying.

You can shout your talking point from the rooftops. You can repeat it over and over again. But you can't change what everyone saw and you can never make it become true.

Biden's decline is far greater than Trump's

As CL pointed out, you are the living, breathing definition of projection, and I would add, highly intellectually dishonest if you can't acknowledge the insane rantings of Trump over the last few years, which have become even more unhinged and frequent in recent months.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject:

How we got here:

Obama elected - first black president, we think we've turned the corner on racism.

The right-wing racists react by doubling down on their racism. Racism which had been hidden bubbles to the surface.

Hillary's multiracial coalition includes BLM mom's.

The right-wing who already hates Hillary wants no part of a multiracial, multicultural democracy.

Trump steps in and becomes the avatar for 200 hundred years of racist white grievance along with massive amounts of misogyny and bigotry.

The electoral college gives Trump a win even though Hillary's popular vote total was the largest in history to that point.

It becomes apparent that the only way to beat old white man Trump is with an old white man of our own who won't frighten away white rural and swing voters (cause he's not black, brown, a woman, gay, or a young lefty).

Biden, the other old white guy did what he was assigned to do. He beat Trump by 7 million votes, again getting the most popular votes in history.

Successful incumbent presidents ALWAYS run for re-election. That said, we had a primary. Loyal Democratic party hopefuls of the future (Witmer, Butigieg, Newsom) knew it wasn't their time yet and wisely chose not to go against their incumbent president. (When Carter was challenged by Ted Kennedy, it contributed to his eventual loss to Reagan. And we ended up with 12 years of Republican rule - tax cuts for the rich, trickle down, racism, which led to the massive income inequality we have today, and a corporate-oligarch bought Supreme Court turn back the clock on the 20th century). The weak primary challengers flamed out, and Biden was again left standing as the nominee.

Right-wing and main stream media spent 4 years "Hillary-ing" Joe Biden. And sadly it has worked to some degree.

But now the choice is not merely old slow Joe Biden vs convicted felon and liar Trump.

It's between the survival of our Democracy vs a White Nationalist Dictatorship where women, non-Christians and people of color become permanent second class citizens because there will be no future elections to change it all back. Once democracy is gone, it's all over.

There's a lot at stake and you can't just toss someone new in the fire at the last minute and cross your fingers they beat Trump. (Even if there was a way pick such a person, who would do it and how would that happen? It's a complete fantasy.) Picture Game 7 of the World Series, bottom of the ninth and you need to bring in a new pitcher. Do you go with the veteran who has wins and saves under his belt? Or do you pick the guy that just got called up from the minors who hasn't thrown one big league pitch? It's nuts.

There is only one person who has beat Trump. That's Joe Biden. And if you care about Democracy you'll do everything you can to make sure he beats him again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm forcing myself to watch Fox News. Trump is on and lying same as he did last night. He lies, lies, lies. What's disturbing is how many believe him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Meanwhile, the right-wing Supreme court is gutting the government for Republicans and rich people in preparation for Project 2025. There could be 3 more openings on the Supreme court over the next 4 years. Do you want a Biden or Trump picking them? That's the choice in November.

Supreme Court Power Grab Overturns 40-Year Precedent In Huge Win For Corporations

Quote:
The Supreme Court’s conservative supermajority upended decades of precedent governing the ability of federal agencies to set regulations in a ruling on Friday.

The court’s decision written by Chief Justice John Roberts, which overturns its 1984 finding in Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council, will cause a sea change in how federal agencies are able to regulate everything from climate change to artificial intelligence to labor and workplace practices. It marks a huge win for corporations, as it will be significantly harder for the government to write rules.

Quote:
The decision is also a major power grab by the judicial branch, which will now play a bigger role as the final arbiter over which new regulations are allowed to stand and which will be struck down.

This is where 'BUT HER EMAILS" got us.

This insane ruling by an illegitimate court is going to have profound effects moving forward. There’s too much to put into one post but my god, what a disaster.

It’s time for the executive to fight back. The court doesn’t have the authority they think they have, and they have no method to actually enforce this madness.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Meanwhile, the right-wing Supreme court is gutting the government for Republicans and rich people in preparation for Project 2025. There could be 3 more openings on the Supreme court over the next 4 years. Do you want a Biden or Trump picking them? That's the choice in November.

Supreme Court Power Grab Overturns 40-Year Precedent In Huge Win For Corporations

Quote:
The Supreme Court’s conservative supermajority upended decades of precedent governing the ability of federal agencies to set regulations in a ruling on Friday.

The court’s decision written by Chief Justice John Roberts, which overturns its 1984 finding in Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council, will cause a sea change in how federal agencies are able to regulate everything from climate change to artificial intelligence to labor and workplace practices. It marks a huge win for corporations, as it will be significantly harder for the government to write rules.

Quote:
The decision is also a major power grab by the judicial branch, which will now play a bigger role as the final arbiter over which new regulations are allowed to stand and which will be struck down.

This insane ruling by an illegitimate court is going to have profound effects moving forward. There’s too much to put into one post but my god, what a disaster.

It's (bleep) insane. Gorsuch in another decision mixed up nitrous oxide and nitrogen oxides. Is it a reasonable mistake? Sure, none of us are chemists. Which is the (bleep) point, why should the justices attempt to understand things about science they know nothing about? Absolutely egregious power grab by the SCOTUS.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's (bleep) insane. Gorsuch in another decision mixed up nitrous oxide and nitrogen oxides. Is it a reasonable mistake? Sure, none of us are chemists. Which is the (bleep) point, why should the justices attempt to understand things about science they know nothing about? Absolutely egregious power grab by the SCOTUS.

Saw it said elsewhere, but there have been 70 Supreme Court decisions based on Chevron (which was unanimous). 17,000 more in the lower courts. Just (bleep) madness to overturn it 6-3.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/28/us/supreme-court-chevron-ruling.html
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Now rather than experts in federal agencies making regulations we leave it to the insane congress filled with people like MTG who can’t even agree on how to name a post office. We’re (bleep).
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

link to video

ChefLinda wrote:

I think I saw someone post that when he's at his rallies or doing conversations he looks ok, but when he's in a pressure situation you see what you saw last night. So it begs the question is how is he handling the pressure on a day to day basis?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Murdock wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

link to video

ChefLinda wrote:

I think I saw someone post that when he's at his rallies or doing conversations he looks ok, but when he's in a pressure situation you see what you saw last night. So it begs the question is how is he handling the pressure on a day to day basis?

There is no pressure to answer a question in two minutes. He's in the oval office with reams of information, expert advice, discussions over what to do, then he evaluates and makes a decision. In real life there is no 2-minute time clock to make daily decisions. On the other hand, Trump never got to the Oval Office until noon and had a 2-minute attention span for briefings. That's a helluva lot scarier.

And Biden handled himself at the G7 just fine. Unscripted interactions with world leaders planning to keep the world safe. He flew back and forth between US and Europe about 3 times in one week and still did evening campaign events into the late night. Then up early the next morning for rounds of meetings.

I pay attention to this stuff. He knows what he's doing. The people he meets with report the same. He's sharp, he understands policy inside out, is a good negotiator and and gets things done.

We're not supposed to be electing a reality star who knows how to work the camera but is a complete moron when the red lights go out.

It's the American Idol syndrome. A couple of generations think reality TV is the standard by which to judge people. It's fake, just like the TV show The Apprentice was fake. Trump is a fake. But the racist dopes thought it was real.

Our side should be better than that. Sadly the NY Times and Washington Post took over for NBC Universal and the National Enquirer in perpetuating the Trump myth and the smears of Biden, never giving him credit for anything he's accomplished and writing hundreds of stories "but his age!" just like "but her emails!"

I know I'm repeating myself in this thread and people are probably getting tired of it. But not everyone is reading every post on every page and people keep bringing up the same question -- can Biden get the job done? And it keeps getting answered with a resounding "Yes, he can" but people aren't taking it in and then it asked again. So I'll answer it as many times as it takes.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Now rather than experts in federal agencies making regulations we leave it to the insane congress filled with people like MTG who can’t even agree on how to name a post office. We’re (bleep).

It's worse than that, it will get decided by Trump appointed partisan judges who have no expertise but will ram through their pro-corporation/screw the little people agenda no matter what science, statistics or evidence is presented. Hey Nestle's, you wanna pollute? Take your case to a right-wing judge and pollute to your hearts content.

It's another move to undo the modern advances of society. It's disgusting.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

It's worse than that, it will get decided by Trump appointed partisan judges who have no expertise but will ram through their pro-corporation/screw the little people agenda no matter what science, statistics or evidence is presented. Hey Nestle's, you wanna pollute? Take your case to a right-wing judge and pollute to your hearts content.

It's another move to undo the modern advances of society. It's disgusting.

Yep. Any corp that wants to challenge will just file in the 5th circuit. This is a huge HUGE power grab by the courts. They don’t have this authority; they just gave it to themselves unilaterally today.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3717, 3718, 3719 ... 3730, 3731, 3732  Next
Page 3718 of 3732
Jump to: