THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3716, 3717, 3718 ... 3737, 3738, 3739  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject:

CL the last thing I read was that Biden had creeped up nationally but was still down in every swing state (barring Michigan iirc). The "win the NPV, lose the EC" scenario is very plausible.

And yeah overturning Chevron deference... Christ
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

cant one of the branches defund the supreme court?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

To trot out candidates over the age of 75 is insane. It's hard to fathom that either side, especially Dems, did not have the foresight to see this coming. We're seeing the same kind of arrogance and blind faith on display right now that had folks crying when the rug got pulled from under them when Hillary lost. (I'm thinking of the meme with the dog sipping coffee in the burning room saying "This is fine") It was a shtt show. No other way to put it.

I'm just super disappointed. Didn't matter what Biden said... It was how he said it (or didn't say it in some cases)
The Trumptards and shallow folks still on the fence can't and won't see or hear past the surface. Hopefully a 2nd debate happens and we get a much better showing. Bidens team needs to do some major damage control
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

Gavin Newsom on Biden and his performance last night
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject:

The MAGA republican party does not give two (bleep) about norms and tradition. If the Democratic party is not capable of beating Donald Trump, they deserve what they get. Just utter (bleep) incompetence and an arrogance that does not allow them to read the current political climate. Without covid, Biden would have lost in 2020. Maybe letting your extreme progressives dominate the narrative was not the smartest idea in today's climate and landscape? Time to stop sticking to tradition and fight back before the Country regresses into the early 1900s.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Gavin Newsom on Biden and his performance last night

I hope he runs sometime. I want someone that speaks like THAT!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Andrew Weinstein @Weinsteinlaw

11pm to midnight last night was the single best fundraising hour of the Biden-Harris campaign so far. Stop listening to the chattering class. Biden supporters are fired up!

Quote:
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ

😁📈 $14 million raised and counting since the debate.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject:

For me, it is about what you value in a president. I understand people thinking public speaking and debate performances are signs of a poor president. I get that 100%.

To me that is just a small part of the presidency. I think a larger part is whom the president puts around them, and the policy these people all direct/enact. And no, I don't think the president makes all these decisions unilaterally from Washington up to and including whoever is our next president. I think they all have advisors who help and decide these things. Who do I think is better at that? Biden, clearly.

I see it as sort of like a general manager of a baseball team. What type of people do you assemble to put together a team to best succeed? Who are you picking for the manager, the hitting coach, the pitching coach etc etc. Do you get guys that are more about analytics, or people that have a proven track record, or people that have that classic feel for the game? I feel like Biden is a mix of the first and second options, more of a technocrat but also getting people who have a lot of experience and success.

Trump is getting his friends together to do the thing, and his friends aren't Greg Maddux and Tony Gwynn, it is Pete Rose and Barry Bonds. He had shoeless joe jackson previously, but it turns out he wasn't okay with some of the things he was asked to do so he was canned so he got John Rocker to take over.

I think Biden has proven to be capable as president because look at everything he has accomplished thus far. He's gotten a lot of legislation passed that looks really good. He has been effective. His nominees have been solid and not criminals.

Compare that to Trump, who has put people who are either incompetent, or criminal, or both into power. Is there any indication that he'd do something differently? He sure didn't give any indication of making any changes. With the track records that stand for themselves it is an easy call for me, and everyone else watching
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject:

https://x.com/NashIsHere4It/status/1806365710622322870/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1806365710622322870&currentTweetUser=NashIsHere4It&mode=profile

(or try this one if that doesn't work -CL)

https://x.com/fiercefreckled/status/1806135453696897091
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
https://x.com/NashIsHere4It/status/1806365710622322870/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1806365710622322870&currentTweetUser=NashIsHere4It&mode=profile

tweet must have been deleted, it's not going through
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dylan Wells @dylanewells

Rep. Jim Clyburn said he plans to speak to Biden today and tell him to “stay the course.”

He said “there’s no better Democrat” and directed nervous Democrats to “chill out.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Alejandro Alvarez 🫡 @aletweetsnews

Pelosi declined to comment on Biden’s debate performance this morning, but “compared to a person who was lying the whole time, we saw integrity on one side and dishonesty on the other.” On Trump: “He’s a fool. He thinks I planned my own assassination. He's sicker than I thought.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Joyce Alene @JoyceWhiteVance

Who will you entrust your kids' future to? The authoritarian liar who ripped babies from their mothers' arms at the border & will ensure the Court that stripped away women's' rights grows still more conservative or the guy who had a bad night but has a stellar record in office?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Olivia Julianna 🗳 @0liviajulianna
·
You’re worrying about Joe Biden’s age when the old men you should be worried about are the ones on the Supreme Court.

Next President very likely could get 2 appointments— you want it to be the predatory convicted felon or the grandpa with the cough and stutter?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lawrence O'Donnell @Lawrence

Washington was filled with panic talk of replacing the Democratic nominee at exactly this time in 1992.

Gallop poll June 1992

Perot 39%

Bush 31%

Clinton 25%
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rachel Bitecofer 🗽💡🔭🦆 @RachelBitecofer

When Romney trounced Obama.

The sheer panic Democrats felt in 2012 after Mitt Romney demolished Barack Obama at their first presidential debate in Denver can't be overstated.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject:

The problem with all of these quotes is that people like me don't need to be convinced to vote for Biden, it's the low information purple state swing voters who do. None of these arguments are going to reach them. Maybe you can convince young progressives who dislike Biden on policy AND think he's way too old (I doubt it), but those purple state swing voters?

Biden has some strengths with older voters and with white voters relative to the average Democrat, no doubt. I could see downside risk of elevating Kamala on that front. You could probably replicate that with Whitmer or Shapiro but it's not clear how they would ascend to the nominee. It's really too bad Kamala is so unpopular
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

The sheer panic Democrats felt in 2012 after Mitt Romney demolished Barack Obama at their first presidential debate in Denver can't be overstated.

People are such clowns. “Trounced.” “Demolished.” It’s a (bleep) debate. I assure you swing voters do NOT care about a (bleep) debate that they won’t even remember in 6 months.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

Here's Biden at a rally today. Sounding like himself, strong, voice improved, making cogent points, pointing out all the ways Trump lied last night:

Quote:
Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins

Compare this President Biden to the one on stage at the debate last night.

link to video

Crowd fired up and chanting "FOUR MORE YEARS!"

It seems CNN is carrying it live.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The problem with all of these quotes is that people like me don't need to be convinced to vote for Biden, it's the low information purple state swing voters who do. None of these arguments are going to reach them. Maybe you can convince young progressives who dislike Biden on policy AND think he's way too old (I doubt it), but those purple state swing voters?

Biden has some strengths with older voters and with white voters relative to the average Democrat, no doubt. I could see downside risk of elevating Kamala on that front. You could probably replicate that with Whitmer or Shapiro but it's not clear how they would ascend to the nominee. It's really too bad Kamala is so unpopular

Combating negativity wherever it exists adds up. And the base needs to be fired up, not perpetually dejected because of the false bravado and lies of the other side.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Weird, works for me. It was the woman who lip syncs Trump doing his sharks, batteries and MIT monologue. The bought or spare people the visual while illustrating what cognitive issues sound like.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Weird, works for me. It was the woman who lip syncs Trump doing his sharks, batteries and MIT monologue. The bought or spare people the visual while illustrating what cognitive issues sound like.

The Sarah Cooper video. I added a different link to it in your original post.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

People are such clowns. “Trounced.” “Demolished.” It’s a (bleep) debate. I assure you swing voters do NOT care about a (bleep) debate that they won’t even remember in 6 months.

There’s really no comparison here. People thought Obama lost that debate and were concerned about him losing the election because of it, but there was never a concern he was mentally or physically unable to do the job for another 4 years. Obama wasn’t unable to form sentences. He didn’t look like he was about to keel over. If Biden had replicated Obama’s performance that night it would have been the best he’s looked in years. At some point we can’t keep denying what we are all seeing here. He’s too old and out of it to be doing this.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject:

Here's the Sarah Cooper Youtube video "How to Boat" where she recreates Trump's crazy shark/battery rant:

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
tox wrote:

Combating negativity wherever it exists adds up. And the base needs to be fired up, not perpetually dejected because of the false bravado and lies of the other side.

Honestly though, if the negativity leads Biden to stepping aside, and that process leads to a stronger candidate, then in net it could be good. Because my concern is that it's easy for educated, political junkies to convince themselves why Biden is obviously the better choice than Trump, which he obviously is. And those are the kinds of people that Biden is hearing from, and the kind of people Biden's inner circle is hearing from. And I think it's led to a kind of complacency which made Biden stay in a race he shouldn't have. (It goes without saying Trump shouldn't stay in the race either -- Haley or Desantis would be beating Biden by 10 points right now.)

I watched RBG stay as a SCOTUS judge for too long and there's a direct line to Roe being overturned there. Biden's raison d'etre for running for presidency was keeping Trump out after Charlottesville, and I think he's about to do the same thing and be the reason why Trump gets reelected.

Every single person in my life (late 20s to early 30s) barring one other friend (who's also a junkie), virtually all of whom despise Trump, think Biden is too old to be president. As a matter of fact, I think Biden has been a strong president. I'm not sure he will be in 4 years, but in any case -- if people who are reliable blues feel this way, think about what the real swing voters are thinking.

What scares me is, as I said, Kamala's unpopularity, plus the fact that she is associated with what people dislike about Biden's presidency (unfairly, I might add) like inflation and immigration.

Last edited by tox on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3716, 3717, 3718 ... 3737, 3738, 3739  Next
Page 3717 of 3739
Jump to: