THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3704, 3705, 3706 ... 3724, 3725, 3726  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The country's thinking is so 1950 that it scares me. LINK

The metaphorical hoods came off a lot of the population and they are showing their true colors today.

I wonder if people realize that separation includes Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, Asians, and all people of color. Read what it says colored. All I mentioned are COLORED. Deepen your perception. Realized the entirety. One more thing.

GET THE HELL OUT AND VOTE!!

Red Scare. Operation Wetback. Jim Crow laws until people like Rosa Parks refused to sit at the back of the bus. Just a couple of examples of whats in store if Trump gets back into power so he can restore the glory of the 1950's.......of course he only wants to restore the social aspects of it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Jesus Christ couldn't win Iowa running as a Democrat.

Dems have won 6 out of the last 10.

2012 (last time Democrat won Iowa): LINK
vs
2020 (Trump won it): LINK

I was expecting it to be a matter of the city centers having turnout. Turns out. Dems gotta win some low population areas as well to get the state. We'll see. But I wouldn't bet on Biden winning it this time around.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

vs

I was expecting it to be a matter of the city centers having turnout. Turns out. Dems gotta win some low population areas as well to get the state. We'll see. But I wouldn't bet on Biden winning it this time around.

I'm aware of the stats. The point is that prior to Trump in 2016, Iowa was trending Blue; 6 out of 7 elections went that way.

So, in response to polls showing that independents are baling on Trump (the original context of my post that has been clipped out), you'd expect to see that indicated in Iowa . . . it isn't. Polls are an antiquated means of determining the current political landscape. It's pointless to put any weight into them. We learned this eight years ago.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

vs

I'm aware of the stats. The point is that prior to Trump in 2016, Iowa was trending Blue; 6 out of 7 elections went that way.

So, in response to polls showing that independents are baling on Trump (the original context of my post that has been clipped out), you'd expect to see that indicated in Iowa . . . it isn't. Polls are an antiquated means of determining the current political landscape. It's pointless to put any weight into them. We learned this eight years ago.

I wonder if Iowa is lost for the foreseeable future. Like Ohio.

I think some of it is the gap in lifestyle, "values", and mentality between rural vs. high population America.

Seems like the divide has never been larger in my lifetime. I genuinely think low population voters in California have more in common with low population voters in the midwest North Dakota. Than they do with people in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

Benji's burning bridges.(Watch the Video) I hope President Biden stands fast. I have a feeling Netanyahu would be happy if the Orange Turd were to win the Oval Office. He's definitely not helping President Biden.

AXIO

18 hours ago -
World

Scoop: White House cancels meeting, scolds Netanyahu in protest over video

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

That's why I emphasized the "trend" in many "different" polls. I'm not depending on any one poll or any specific percentage. But when many different polls trend in the same direction, then just maybe that movement means something. Or maybe it will swing back the other way.

I'm not saying rely on the polls. But I also rebel against conceding everything to Trump, just because he's Trump. And I rebel against conceding everything to the MAGA idiots. They are a minority. Yeah, yeah, I know about the electoral college. I would rather be positive and hopeful that Independents are paying attention to the case against Trump rather than giving in to doom and gloom.

So the other thing I do is give small donations here and there to Senators in swing states/purple states. And I give small donations to Democrats trying to flip House seats in red or purple districts. That feels a lot more positive for my mental heath than worrying about polls.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

vs

It took generations of ground work by the GOP to turn Iowa, Ohio and other states hard red. Biden got in largely because of COVID-19, as opposed to disdain of "Handmaid's Tale" policies. States were blue from the 30s to the 80s because of the hardwork of Labor . With the gutting of the Labor movement, winning back and restoring the blue firewall will take a few election cycles of work.

Counting on a wave of women to abandon the GOP because of Roe Is pollyanish. Expecting BIPOC voters to solidify against the GOP as the greater evil ignores the impact that religious fundamentalism has in those communities. The majority of Black & LatinX pulpits teach a complimentarian, patriarchal theology - and a plurality of them teach
Christian Nationalism. I'm less versed about Asian American worship practices, but some of the big LA based Asian churches supported Trump, as well.

So the fight will have to take place in a lot of spaces that Dems have ignored. Neighborhood Councils, School Boards, PTAs, Chambers of Commerce . . . and churches.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Quote:
Counting on a wave of women to abandon the GOP because of Roe Is pollyanish.

Is your reasoning fostered from a male perspective? It's my understanding young Republican women are frustrated by the Repuklican attack on women's rights, plural, and will be voting Democrat.

Expecting BIPOC voters to solidify against the GOP as the greater evil ignores the impact that religious fundamentalism has in those communities. The majority of Black & LatinX pulpits teach a complimentarian, patriarchal theology - and a plurality of them teach
Christian Nationalism. I'm less versed about Asian American worship practices, but some of the big LA based Asian churches supported Trump, as well.

Don't those teachings you mentioned teach the evils Trump is perpetrating are opposed to their religious beliefs? If so what are you basing your non expectations on?

Bye the By; I reside in Pollyanna Land.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Quote:
Counting on a wave of women to abandon the GOP because of Roe Is pollyanish.

Is your reasoning fostered from a male perspective? It's my understanding young Republican women are frustrated by the Repuklican attack on women's rights, plural, and will be voting Democrat.

Expecting BIPOC voters to solidify against the GOP as the greater evil ignores the impact that religious fundamentalism has in those communities. The majority of Black & LatinX pulpits teach a complimentarian, patriarchal theology - and a plurality of them teach

Don't those teachings you mentioned teach the evils Trump is perpetrating are opposed to their religious beliefs? If so what are you basing your non expectations on?

Bye the By; I reside in Pollyanna Land.

My perspective on the impact of women voters is purely data driven. Trump's percentage among women voters increased from 2016 to 2020. In 2022 - after Roe - the GOP did better among White women than they did in 2018.

[url= https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/07/12/voting-patterns-in-the-2022-elections/]Pew data on 2022 mid-terms[/url]

WRT the bad theology and poor hermeneutics of the Right, I do not have the time or energy to completely unpack things, but there are basically two poles in modern Christianity. Aspects of White Christian Nationalism have penetrated many "black" churches and Latin Pentecostal churches for decades - by design. "Word," "Word of Faith," "Iglesias Pentecostales," "Foursquare" and other church movements have almost completely reoriented churches that in the 1940s-70s were focused on the Social Gospel, Civil Rights and Human Empowerment into "complimentarian, male 1st/women2nd/stone the gays/unions are satanic/Heaven is for capitalists" cesspools.

Progressive churches (which, by and large, are what used to be considered mainstream) came under attack by the Reagan Presidential campaign in the late 70s - and the attack continues, mostly unnoticed.

The United Methodist Church, which formed in 1939 when the churches who were pro-slavery and split in 1845, came back. In 2024, many of those congregations which left in 1845 are leaving again/have already left over women preachers, same sex marriage and "wokeism." Having been on the wrong side of history (and God) once, they're willing to do it again. Sadly, some of BIPOC members and congregations have bought in to that.

Remember, this is a battle being fought in the margins.

10% of LatinX voters here, 3% of black voters there, 2% of AAPI voters somewhere else can lead to a swing somewhere. 600 Ralph Nader voters in Florida led to a 20-year war in Afghanistan.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Trump's largest demographic is white men. Mostly non-college white men, but also rich white men, and racist white men, and homophobic white men, and misogynistic white men.

Yes, white women have some catching up to do as do other groups.

But there is ONE group primarily to blame for Trump. And that's white men.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Abortion and women's rights are problems for the GOP.

Republicans have a young woman problem
By SOPHIE GARDNER 06/30/2023 11:33 AM EDT

LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

Asian voters in the U.S. tend to be Democratic, but Vietnamese American voters are an exception

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

Asian voters in the U.S. tend to be Democratic, but Vietnamese American voters are an exception

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

Odd indeed. I recall, though this is more than fuzzy, long ago reading about the Vietnamese immigrants being the first major immigrant group to extensively have the benefits of social programs. If my recollection is correct, this preferring a party that mostly cares for the financially secure elite--the mores, the have-mores, the way have-mores, does not make sense--but then nearly does half of America.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject:

There is no one he won't come for eventually. Even rich white men aren't safe. These people need to wake the f-up. They keep thinking he will inflict pain on *others* but not them. Nope. He only cares about himself. That's it. Everyone else is a prop to use in a transaction to give him power or money. And if you don't bow down, under the bus you go.

Trump wants business leaders who fail to support him to be fired

Quote:
Donald Trump apparently expected to make a good impression last week when he attended the Business Roundtable’s quarterly meeting and met with a room full of prominent American CEOs. By most accounts, however, the gathering was a bit of a disaster: CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin reported that many of the attendees said that the former president was “remarkably meandering” and “could not keep a straight thought.”

One CEO who attended the closed-door event concluded, “Trump doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

This has put the presumptive Republican nominee on the defensive. In fact, in recent days, he’s published multiple items to his social media platform, insisting that the Business Roundtable was actually a great success — despite the fact that some of the CEOs were, as Trump put it, “Biden sympathizers.”

It was against this backdrop that the GOP candidate made a new declaration yesterday. NBC News reported:

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday said that business executives and shareholder representatives should “be 100% behind” him or face termination.

That might sound like an exaggeration. It’s not. The presumptive Republican nominee literally wrote, “Business Executives and Shareholder Representatives should be 100% behind Donald Trump! Anybody that’s not should be FIRED for incompetence!”
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

My anecdotal contribution is that I believe this because a longtime friend (who is Vietnamese) once casually posted that he was listening to Alex Jones. Maybe the move to Alabama from Irvine should have tipped me off first.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

Odd indeed. I recall, though this is more than fuzzy, long ago reading about the Vietnamese immigrants being the first major immigrant group to extensively have the benefits of social programs. If my recollection is correct, this preferring a party that mostly cares for the financially secure elite--the mores, the have-mores, the way have-mores, does not make sense--but then nearly does half of America.

Some groups are attracted to patriarchal/authoritarian structures that subjugate women and children. Religion is often tied in. You would think that escaping tyranny would make them less sympathetic to new tyrants. But as we have seen with the Cuban community in Florida, many seem to prefer the American version of authoritarianism.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject:

SCOTUS doing some bigotry work. Melania would have been out of luck.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

The Supreme Court's conservative majority just found that U.S. citizens do NOT have a constitutional right for noncitizen spouses to enter country.

All three liberal justices dissented.

In her dissent, Justice Sotomayor says the Court's decision will most heavily burden same-sex couples, citing Obergefell v. Hodges.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SCOTUS doing some bigotry work. Melania would have been out of luck.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

The Supreme Court's conservative majority just found that U.S. citizens do NOT have a constitutional right for noncitizen spouses to enter country.

All three liberal justices dissented.

In her dissent, Justice Sotomayor says the Court's decision will most heavily burden same-sex couples, citing Obergefell v. Hodges.

Not to dilute this comment but I rather call the "liberal" justices, the "normal" justices.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

HELLO WORLD AMERICA IS IN DEEP DOO D00!!!

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

It doesn't surprise me. I attended a couple of high schools that had Vietnamese immigrants. On an anecdotal basis, the folks who immigrated to the USA were connected politically with Saigon and would have been targeted by the Hanoi regime. They tend to view the US as their protector, making them prone to accept Trump's superficial patriotic overtures. As a group they may also long for an autocratic government, like the one they and their parents left behind. If you look at the January 6 riots and right-wing gatherings, you'll see an occasional South Vietnamese flag or two.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

Some groups are attracted to patriarchal/authoritarian structures that subjugate women and children. Religion is often tied in. You would think that escaping tyranny would make them less sympathetic to new tyrants. But as we have seen with the Cuban community in Florida, many seem to prefer the American version of authoritarianism.

It's interesting that immigrants from an authoritarian country will come here because of that authoritarian regime, but will want to hold onto some of that authoritarianism rather than embrace Madisonian democracy.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Here is a white Cuban immigrant who explains in detail the white supremacy/dictatorial leanings of many white Cubans who emigrated here and why they gravitate to Trump and the Republican party:

https://twitter.com/ericriveracooks/status/1804172375526621232

(3-minute video)

Spoiler alert: they were already elite white supremacists who looked down on "brown" Cubans long before they came here.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here is a white Cuban immigrant who explains in detail the white supremacy/dictatorial leanings of many white Cubans who emigrated here and why they gravitate to Trump and the Republican party:

https://twitter.com/ericriveracooks/status/1804172375526621232

(3-minute video)

Spoiler alert: they were already elite white supremacists who looked down on "brown" Cubans long before they came here.

Bingo. My dad ran one of the processing camps for the Mariel refugees in 1980. The Cuban exile community actually complained that there were too many blacks in the group and didn't offer them the same level of support that they gave the white refugees.

WRT to the Vietnamese - the Nixon administration was great to them and they've responded with loyalty. Like the Cubans, that support is waning in younger generations.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SHORT READS
|MAY 25, 2023

BY
KATHERINE SCHAEFFER

LINK

It doesn't surprise me. I attended a couple of high schools that had Vietnamese immigrants. On an anecdotal basis, the folks who immigrated to the USA were connected politically with Saigon and would have been targeted by the Hanoi regime. They tend to view the US as their protector, making them prone to accept Trump's superficial patriotic overtures. As a group they may also long for an autocratic government, like the one they and their parents left behind. If you look at the January 6 riots and right-wing gatherings, you'll see an occasional South Vietnamese flag or two.

Worth noting that younger generations are moving bluer.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject:

The debate on Thursday is gonna be interesting.

Joe needs to take the gloves off and be ready for the shtt slinging and low blows Trump will inevitably unleash. Fight fire with fire.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3704, 3705, 3706 ... 3724, 3725, 3726  Next
Page 3705 of 3726
Jump to: