A (The ?) Big Difference Between the Lakers and the Celtics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Kleazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

Agree with most details posted here wanted to add a few:

- Foston gets to operate in an extremely weaker conference
- Foston doesn't have to navigate championship tax in their trades, eating they're inventory of assets in EVERY deal.
- Foston b despite being a championship or bust mindset team doesn't overreact and get worse when it's clear a chip isn't possible ( get ready JJ)
- Foston not only builds their braintrust with some of the best minds whether they're from the organization or not BUT has so many trusted minions in decision making positions within the league to feed them assets over time.
- Foston had functioned within the CURRENT style of play when building out their roster and haven't fallen into the habit of overly looking to the past (Zo is magic, JJ is pat Riley, etc.)
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject:

andree wrote:
vakobe wrote:
Lakers drafting ineptitude also contributed heavily to the Celtics title. I can excuse taking Ingram over Jaylen Brown, but the decision to take Lonzo Ball over an obvious stud like Tatum remains inexplicable to me.

This is just bulls.. t.
Tatum was not seen from anybody as the next big thing in that draft. Never. The consensus, it was really a consensus, was Fultz first and Lonzo the second. Hell, even Josh Jackson was seen as a better prospect. Tatum was considered a copy of Carmelo.
Ainge was the only one who believe in him and was so confident that he made the change with Philly.

A copy of Carmelo? You wouldn't take that over two guards with no exceptional talent?
Anyway, I live on the East Coast and many people on this side of the country knew Tatum was a special talent. And it's not like he was tucked away at some unknown college, he played at DUKE!
Regardless, Ainge was right and the Lakers were wrong. They should have known better since they get paid to evaluate talent.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject:

vakobe wrote:
andree wrote:
vakobe wrote:
Lakers drafting ineptitude also contributed heavily to the Celtics title. I can excuse taking Ingram over Jaylen Brown, but the decision to take Lonzo Ball over an obvious stud like Tatum remains inexplicable to me.

This is just bulls.. t.
Tatum was not seen from anybody as the next big thing in that draft. Never. The consensus, it was really a consensus, was Fultz first and Lonzo the second. Hell, even Josh Jackson was seen as a better prospect. Tatum was considered a copy of Carmelo.
Ainge was the only one who believe in him and was so confident that he made the change with Philly.

A copy of Carmelo? You wouldn't take that over two guards with no exceptional talent?
Anyway, I live on the East Coast and many people on this side of the country knew Tatum was a special talent. And it's not like he was tucked away at some unknown college, he played at DUKE!
Regardless, Ainge was right and the Lakers were wrong. They should have known better since they get paid to evaluate talent.

It's complete revisionist history to say Tatum was not highly regarded.
Here is nbadraft.net's Tatum assessment who had him ranked #3. Our own Mike Garcia raved about Tatum and savvy basketball minds rated Tatum easily in the top 3.
If a prospect is that high it falls on the FO's to do their unbiased due diligence, leave no stone unturned, be unbiased. But here Philly was fixated on Fultz and LA on Ball, neither approached Tatum in any meaningful fashion allowing Ainge to play both and swoop in.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
vakobe wrote:
andree wrote:
vakobe wrote:

This is just bulls.. t.

It's complete revisionist history to say Tatum was not highly regarded.
Here is nbadraft.net's Tatum assessment who had him ranked #3. Our own Mike Garcia raved about Tatum and savvy basketball minds rated Tatum easily in the top 3.
If a prospect is that high it falls on the FO's to do their unbiased due diligence, leave no stone unturned, be unbiased. But here Philly was fixated on Fultz and LA on Ball, neither approached Tatum in any meaningful fashion allowing Ainge to play both and swoop in.

Exactly! I totally agree with this. Tatum was a huge talent and approved by Kobe himself when he worked out with him in the summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: