DeMar Derozan: (2021) “I thought Lakers was a Done Deal and I was coming back home”
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

DeMar doesn't have to lead a playoff team as a #1 option. He just has to be a better 3rd option in the playoffs than D'lo. That's a very low bar and worth taking a shot.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
DeMar doesn't have to lead a playoff team as a #1 option. He just has to be a better 3rd option in the playoffs than D'lo. That's a very low bar and worth taking a shot.

Yup. And he is a legit 1 or 2 option in the regular season when Lebron or AD rest.

I like him, wouldn't give a 1st, but would do DLO, a minimum, and a 2nd
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

IF I’m dd I chase a ring. We aren’t a dd away from winning one.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I don’t know man, DeRozan is considerably good down the stretch late in games getting his shot to fall and avg 24ppg. Brown from the C’s about the same…ppg/rpg/apg/spg/topg…so DD at SF could configure the Lakers to compete. As long as the S&T doesn’t include Dlo/Rui the Lakers could pay ~$18m and field a competitive roster seeing as how they had some success last year…tho limited to 7th seed and 1st rd exit…and would add to that.

AD would out produce Porzingis, LBJ vs Tatum with assist may give the Lakers the edge, and the Lakers would need AR’s offense to keep pace with White’s defense, same with Dlo vs Jrue. They would match good with the champs but still need a backup C for others.

I’ll take DeRozan if it didn’t downgrade other areas, (Vincent/JHS/Knecht). Chi gets 2 firsts to take on Vincent instead of losing DeRozan for nothing. If Knecht is a deal breaker for Laker fans then try Vincent/JHS/Cam/FRP/2ndRP.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I don’t know man, DeRozan is considerably good down the stretch late in games getting his shot to fall and avg 24ppg. Brown from the C’s about the same…ppg/rpg/apg/spg/topg…so DD at SF could configure the Lakers to compete. As long as the S&T doesn’t include Dlo/Rui the Lakers could pay ~$18m and field a competitive roster seeing as how they had some success last year…tho limited to 7th seed and 1st rd exit…and would add to that.

AD would out produce Porzingis, LBJ vs Tatum with assist may give the Lakers the edge, and the Lakers would need AR’s offense to keep pace with White’s defense, same with Dlo vs Jrue. They would match good with the champs but still need a backup C for others.

I’ll take DeRozan if it didn’t downgrade other areas, (Vincent/JHS/Knecht). Chi gets 2 firsts to take on Vincent instead of losing DeRozan for nothing. If Knecht is a deal breaker for Laker fans then try Vincent/JHS/Cam/FRP/2ndRP.

They aren't getting Knecht or a 1st round pick for a free agent. Lol
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Knecht4 wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Halflife wrote:

They aren't getting Knecht or a 1st round pick for a free agent. Lol

Probably not, I think that’s Rob logic too! If they could add that free agent without that FRP then yea but they can’t. It should matter most what the Lakers would get instead of passing on a S&T being overly concerned with giving a FRP. Minny overpaid for Gobert not caring about any perceived…real or imagined…Lakers type tax, NYKnicks did the same. I don’t advocate making either of those type deals but I’d trade 1FRP for a free agent DeRozan if I couldn’t sign him otherwise and failed at other attempts to upgrade the team.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Would Demar DeRozan to replace DLo makes the Lakers one of the top title-contending teams in the Western Conference and/or "Move the Needle" - nope

https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/demar_derozan_vs_dangelo_russell.htm#google_vignette
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject:

As a fit, I don't see DeRozan any better than Westbrook. He's a better player, but if he's going to overlap with our stars then you have to factor what he's taking away from them. It's not a straight up plus. It's a plus with some minuses as well.

I think we've seen this experiment multiple times in Lebron's career. He and AD need shooters. At this point I just don't see DD having much of an impact on this team. Bad fit.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject:

The concerns over DD's fit are way overstated imo. Some are even comparing it to Russ which is nuts.

Last season on a very poor Bulls team, DeMar averaged 24 ppg on 17 fga. He averaged 1.7 turnovers and had a 3-to-1 Assist to turnover ratio. He was Pop's primary playmaker when he spent three seasons in San Antonio.

Some of the concerns about him seem to really be about LeBron being able to adapt. I think he can, if he wants to.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
As a fit, I don't see DeRozan any better than Westbrook. He's a better player, but if he's going to overlap with our stars then you have to factor what he's taking away from them. It's not a straight up plus. It's a plus with some minuses as well.

I think we've seen this experiment multiple times in Lebron's career. He and AD need shooters. At this point I just don't see DD having much of an impact on this team. Bad fit.

DeRozan averages almost 3 assists to turnover .. not Russ
DeRozan is money in the mid range .. not Russ
DeRozan hits well over 80% his free throws .. not Russ
DeRozan is 5th in points scored in the court, 1st in actual total … not Russ
DeRozan led the nba in total minutes played … not Russ
DeRozan has never played less than 60 games in a year .. not Russ

DeRozan has never averaged under 20 in a playoff run, that’s something Russ nor anyone on the team but AD and Bron can bring.

So if you ask what he would bring to Bron and AD
- Playmaking which Dlo doesn’t bring to the playoffs
- one on one iso scoring which no one else does
- someone to hit free throws which only Reaves does
- a 20 point scoring guy who is clutch in the playoffs

He and Russ aren’t the same.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

DeRozan has never averaged under 20 in a playoff run, that’s something Russ nor anyone on the team but AD and Bron can bring.

Yeah DeRozan is a better fit than I think people give him credit for

I’m just not sure we’ll be able to pull him off, now Bron’s agreed to his deal (DLo would have to go to BKN/DET and Rui/Reddish would have to be moved to CHI)
#18 next...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject:

dd has been on some pretty good teams and hasn't been able to get over the hump. He is not the difference in making a playin team a contender.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
dd has been on some pretty good teams and hasn't been able to get over the hump. He is not the difference in making a playin team a contender.

I agree as it has been with DeRozan slotted as the 1st/2nd type option. Perhaps as the 3rd option behind LBJ/AD he can elevate the Lakers to contention with his clutch shooting statistics and ability to get his own shot reliably. I’d like to add him only if it doesn’t downgrade ANY of the other areas (Rui/AR/Dlo).
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I was lukewarm on DeRozan until I saw his playoff stats. They are crazy bad for someone of his caliber. His TS% is 50 in the playoffs, which is 8 points lower than the league average. Almost as many shots as points, doesn't take or make threes, hasn't made a single three pointer in his last 12 playoff games. That's absurd for someone who had the midrange mastery and skill that he has. It just seems more a mental block than anything else, and he's allergic to shooting 3s. That's a no-no in today's era. Just ask the Celtics.

That being said, all of the above was because he was the focal point of defenses. They game-planned to stop him and treated him as the #1 guy on all of those squads. As a third option, you kind of prefer an AG type that can get put-backs, shoot threes, rebound, defend players, and so fourth, but if DeRozan is the best you can get, you obviously go for it. He'll excel at scoring but not much else. That's why Dejounte should have been the guy instead but it's too late for that now.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject:

I trust that DeMar wouldn't score 0 points in a playoff game or average 5 ppg for a series. That's really all he would be asked to do. I could understand being hesitant if you needed him to be a #1 option but that's not the case.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I just got back from dinner and read that he’s going to Sacto? Is this true? What is happening I thought he wanted to be here?
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I just got back from dinner and read that he’s going to Sacto? Is this true? What is happening I thought he wanted to be here?

The pay cut thing was a fabrication.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
TDRock wrote:

The pay cut thing was a fabrication.

LawedT. I should’ve known better
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have wanted Derozan but never had the money to get him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject:

All these 35 year olds that don't play at the level of LeBron want 3-4 year contracts and the money to cash out on. They will follow the money.
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject:

So essentially its a run back. Sigh...
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Don't care about any direct comparison to Westbrook as a player. I knew my point would fly over some people's head, which is why I acknowledged he's a better player than RW.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DeMar Derozan: (2021) “I thought Lakers was a Done Deal and I was coming back home”

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

LOS ANGELES — DeMar DeRozan had multiple conversations with LeBron James in the offseason. His agent, Aaron Goodwin, worked feverishly behind the scenes with the San Antonio Spurs’ front office to get details ironed out on what would have been a sign-and-trade package to send the 13-year free agent veteran to his hometown team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Isn't that called tampering or something and actually the bigger issue?
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject:

The Sacramento Kings have signed DeMar DeRozan.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:13 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: