NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2936, 2937, 2938 ... 2963, 2964, 2965  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
King Randle wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I understand we can't do S&T anymore....but someone like Grant isn't S&T so a scenario like that is still possible right??

It depends on what LeBron takes. Jarami Grant makes $27M, so if we're over the 2nd apron, we have to send out a player making at least that much, which only AD fits the bill.

Unless they missed this loophole in the new CBA, a trade for Grant done before LeBron signs, would hard cap us at the second apron, and LeBron cant get that max he already has agreed to in principle. Would the Lakers go back on their word like that?

Thanks guys....I guess they'll focus on guys like Carter Jr, Capela, Cam Johnson etc. if they make any trades at all.

Have we ever heard even a rumor that the Lakers are interested in Cam or WCJ? I get the feeling Rob doesn't even know who those guys are.

I think it’s fair to say that Rob has never heard of any players taller than 6’10 before.
- sign and trade DLO (nobody wants him LMAO!)
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot (JJ: LeBron Bestie/might be a racist)

Call it an offseason (ROFL)

Last edited by Megaton on Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
King Randle wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I understand we can't do S&T anymore....but someone like Grant isn't S&T so a scenario like that is still possible right??

It depends on what LeBron takes. Jarami Grant makes $27M, so if we're over the 2nd apron, we have to send out a player making at least that much, which only AD fits the bill.

Unless they missed this loophole in the new CBA, a trade for Grant done before LeBron signs, would hard cap us at the second apron, and LeBron cant get that max he already has agreed to in principle. Would the Lakers go back on their word like that?

Thanks guys....I guess they'll focus on guys like Carter Jr, Capela, Cam Johnson etc. if they make any trades at all.

Have we ever heard even a rumor that the Lakers are interested in Cam or WCJ? I get the feeling Rob doesn't even know who those guys are.

I think it’s fair to say that Rob has never heard of any players under 6’10 before.

Is Player X a

a) Klutch client
b) on the roster of the 2016 all-star game
c) neither

if you answered "C," Rob has no idea who you are.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Megaton wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
King Randle wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I think it’s fair to say that Rob has never heard of any players under 6’10 before.

Is Player X a

a) Klutch client
b) on the roster of the 2016 all-star game
c) neither

if you answered "C," Rob has no idea who you are.

You forgot, “has he ever read the book of genesis?”
- sign and trade DLO (nobody wants him LMAO!)
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot (JJ: LeBron Bestie/might be a racist)

Call it an offseason (ROFL)
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject:

Knecht4 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Yes. But I wouldn't trade a 1st for him. He probably won't cost a 1st because of his contact. Maybe like DLO, Gabe, and JHS. We would need to find a PG after or let AR play point.

That also sends out more salary than we take back. If they include a 1st, they are morons.

Reportedly they wanted not just one first, but two...

serious pass
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject:

something interesting, was looking back at ESPN top 100 HS players for the various HS classes of that year and here's some good ones.

2021 - Max Christie was ranked 18 (Devin Carter was 94, drafted 13 this year)

2022 - JHS was ranked 26 (Cam Whitmore was 22)

2023 - Bronny James was ranked 20 (Isaiah Collier was ranked 1, drafted 29 this year)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject:

If the Nets only want one FRP for Cam Johnson, I don't understand why we aren't all over that. Especially because it seems like they are actually interested in Russell. Add some filler, and this not only should get us under the second apron but it also opens up at least one roster spot and likely two. Or if they just want another forward, just make the trade Rui and filler. And actually, we should push for Sharpe in the deal as well. That fills two needs.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

I knew Rob was going to struggle once DLO/Cam/Hayes all opted in. Rob is just not built like that as a GM. He has no creativity and vision. If you listen to him talk, he was just not willing to give up picks to dump players.

As soon as Rob said deals could be going through the summer league, Lebron was going to take the max. No way Lebron starts the Olympics with no contract. Rob still have some time, Lebron don’t officially sign until the July 6th. But Rob will have to pull a rabbit out his ass tho to convince Lebron.

As far as Lebron taking the max… Klay was the ONLY target for that paycut but Klay was not signing for mle. Rob was not able to salary dump any player refusing to attach picks. I have a feeling Grant deal is not happening soon. This might take a while. I can only imagine the conversation between Rob and Lebron/Rich Paul.

Last edited by miggz23 on Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

bkt4208 wrote:
Knecht4 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Yes. But I wouldn't trade a 1st for him. He probably won't cost a 1st because of his contact. Maybe like DLO, Gabe, and JHS. We would need to find a PG after or let AR play point.

That also sends out more salary than we take back. If they include a 1st, they are morons.

Reportedly they wanted not just one first, but two...

serious pass

People dont believe in a Lakers Tax. Some think tams should just agree to what we have to offer because ..well we the Lakers..smh.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If the Nets only want one FRP for Cam Johnson, I don't understand why we aren't all over that. Especially because it seems like they are actually interested in Russell. Add some filler, and this not only should get us under the second apron but it also opens up at least one roster spot and likely two. Or if they just want another forward, just make the trade Rui and filler. And actually, we should push for Sharpe in the deal as well. That fills two needs.

Rob don’t think Cam Johnson is worth the first. Someone posted the Nets wanting DLO back was a false report.

Last edited by miggz23 on Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Exactly! And this is why I've defaulted to the understanding that Rob and Jeanie do NOT want to give up those future picks. Everything that's gone down up to this point indicates that Lebron wants one thing and they want another, but since they both have other reasons to keep the partnership going (FO - Lebron cash cow/illusion of contention, Lebron - settled down in LA/business reasons), we march on. They need each other just enough that the FO can continue to BS their way through Lebron's tenure, and in the process, waste AD's prime along with it. Personally, I think there's a path to real contention with Bron/AD if they really wanted to find it - in a playoff setting, 7-game series, they are clearly still a dominant duo - but wtf do I know?
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Hard to have confiendence in this FO....

If they trade for DeRozen...the entire FO needs to be fired.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject:

Why can’t we combine the expirings?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I think you can’t combine vet minimum deals.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

This all goes back to the Westbrook trade. Without having to waste a 1st to get rid of him you can probably be more liberal in including them in trades. But now you have to cherish those picks in the event you aren't able to reload once LeBron is gone. Rob is at least being responsible and not making the same mistake. This wasn't a terrible offseason in that context, it's 2021 that ruined everything.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
something interesting, was looking back at ESPN top 100 HS players for the various HS classes of that year and here's some good ones.

2023 - Bronny James was ranked 20 (Isaiah Collier was ranked 1, drafted 29 this year)

, dream on
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

, dream on

There is our 3 future stars
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
This all goes back to the Westbrook trade. Without having to waste a 1st to get rid of him you can probably be more liberal in including them in trades. But now you have to cherish those picks in the event you aren't able to reload once LeBron is gone. Rob is at least being responsible and not making the same mistake. This wasn't a terrible offseason in that context, it's 2021 that ruined everything.

It doesn't even go that far. It goes back to missing on JHS so bad that he isn't a tradable asset anymore. Teams don't view him as a positive, especially after back surgery
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
governator wrote:

I think you can’t combine vet minimum deals.

Considering the fact that our vet min guys aren’t valuable, I don’t understand why the LeBron signing has caused panic among the Laker fans, the Lakers can still make trades, they might have to dump Gabe and DLO on someone but nonetheless the drama I have seen since LeBron signed his extension is so unnecessary and immature
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
However deals are structured, I’m told the Lakers expect to net out underneath the second apron.

https://x.com/DanWoikeSports/status/1808506635004063949?t=Nz3iE_m8RpODr8BZ8wQeOw&s=19
Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Exactly! And this is why I've defaulted to the understanding that Rob and Jeanie do NOT want to give up those future picks. Everything that's gone down up to this point indicates that Lebron wants one thing and they want another, but since they both have other reasons to keep the partnership going (FO - Lebron cash cow/illusion of contention, Lebron - settled down in LA/business reasons), we march on. They need each other just enough that the FO can continue to BS their way through Lebron's tenure, and in the process, waste AD's prime along with it. Personally, I think there's a path to real contention with Bron/AD if they really wanted to find it - in a playoff setting, 7-game series, they are clearly still a dominant duo - but wtf do I know?
I mean its for good reason. When lebron and AD leave you are going to need your pics to rebuild. With this new CBA first round pics have alot of value. You need cost controlled assets and good contracts to have financial flexibility.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
However deals are structured, I’m told the Lakers expect to net out underneath the second apron.

https://x.com/DanWoikeSports/status/1808506635004063949?t=Nz3iE_m8RpODr8BZ8wQeOw&s=19

Maybe we need a sticky thread on this or I missed it, but the big upside is that we can still do a sign and trade correct? And we don't have to have salaries match exactly?
Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:
jb2 wrote:
Lack of size - not addressed
POA defender - not addressed
Wing help - not addressed
3rd guy - didn't happen

We added a shooter (rookie) and a new coach. What a woof and a whiff.

We’re headed back to the play in.

Also, Bron & AD will play in Olympics which means they’ll probably be less healthy than last season

Why is 39-year old LeBron playing in the Olympics again? He's got two golds already. What does it say about how he views the upcoming NBA season?
Max and Vando can take on POA duties.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe we need a sticky thread on this or I missed it, but the big upside is that we can still do a sign and trade correct? And we don't have to have salaries match exactly?

Restrictions of the first apron

- No sign-and-trades
- No trade exceptions
- No taking back more money in trades

Restrictions of the second apron:

- All First Apron reestrictions
- No aggregating contracts in trades
- No trading cash
- 2032 1st round pick frozen
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject:

So, in summary, we can't trade for LaVine and/or DeRozan, right?
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
So, in summary, we can't trade for LaVine and/or DeRozan, right?

DDR no, LaVine yes so long as we aren't taking in more money.

This is assuming LeBron takes like a 1M haircut.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2936, 2937, 2938 ... 2963, 2964, 2965  Next
Page 2937 of 2965
Jump to: