NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2904, 2905, 2906 ... 2969, 2970, 2971  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers may just feel they need to develop players. 25 and under on their roster

Center: Hayes 24 (Could give a team 15 minutes as a token starter or 1st big off the bench)
Guard: Christie 21 (Could give a team sharpshooting& some D for 20 minutes)
Wing: Knecht 23 (Could give a team 15 minutes of sharpshooting off the bench)
Guard: Hood-Schfino 21 (Could give a team 15 minutes off the bench, possible G league)
Wing: Reddish 24 (Could give a team 15 minutes as a defensive player)
Guard: Bronny 19 (G League this year, may play in injury situations, blow outs)
Forward: Lewis 21 (G league, may get PT if he develops a 3 point shot)

The Lakers have about 7 players they could develop in their 14 roster spots before Lebron. I know it feels weird almost like a re-build situation looking at those names, but I think Lebron/AD/Reaves/Rui will keep you competitive (And DLO). And you're now hoping some of those players develop.

If you really buy in that some of those guys have talent, then it's a worthwhile project/task to take on. If you look at last year, most of the league and our fans were high on this roster. They thought it was a top 5 WC roster.

Most of the player agents even, felt Ham was the issue. With Redick, it seems the players may feel they have another shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject:

One of the issues for Pelinka.

To move on from these guaranteed deals, he needs to likely give some draft assets. Dallas gave up SRPs. I believe THJ was salary dumped to DET. They also gave up a few SRPs to Detroit. Then I believe they gave up one SRP in the Klay deal (not confirmed).

Pelinka is talking player development, and then he goes out and starts dumping future assets, future players he can develop? I don't feel that makes sense.

I actually don't mind that they are keeping their younger players, even though they have limited upside and are not lottery level talent.

If you're operating under a stance that you need to keep your picks, including future assets like SRPs, then you can't really move pieces as easily. I believe the sort of deal we'll probably end up seeing is similar to what we saw with Portland and PHX last year. I think Ayton went to POR and they end up with Nurkic and Grayson. If we move Rui and DLO, that's the sort of deal we're looking at. I believe this is why we're hearing Grant from POR. It's sort of Portland wanting out of that deal, and maybe getting less money tied with a Rui/DLO package (DLO expires at years end or moved for POR in another deal). Rui fills a short term role for them in a re-build period. Not that I am sold that Grant for Rui/DLO makes us better, however it's the sort of deals we're likely looking at if we're not moving the draft picks.

We should probably just look to make lateral moves in talent, meaning mid-career starters for for mid-career starters. Just better fitting talent. And meanwhile hope this new player development project works out sooner than later. I mean you can't think of a worse player development coach than Ham was, and in contrast we may actually get some player development this year with Redick, sort of like we saw with Vogel (Gave guys like THT, Caruso, Monk, Reaves, Stanley etc all chances to develop and shine).

Probably even if we run it back with the core we have, there will be opportunities by trade deadline to upgrade the roster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject:

Derozan has 7 seasons of 8+ Win Shares, Paul George has 5.

Derozan led the league in minutes played last season at 34 years old. Despite his age, he's been really healthy over his entire career, never playing less than 60 games in a season.

DeRozan was fifth in the entire league in average scoring in the fourth quarter and first in actual total points scored

Get that done
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:

Derozan led the league in minutes played last season at 34 years old. Despite his age, he's been really healthy over his entire career, never playing less than 60 games in a season.

DeRozan was fifth in the entire league in average scoring in the fourth quarter and first in actual total points scored

Get that done

He'd be a great addition, and could both play off Lebron, and lead the offense when Lebron is resting.

Would give this team an entirely different look in crunchtime, which is where they have repeatedly failed against Denver the last two years.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:

Get that done

He'd be a great addition, and could both play off Lebron, and lead the offense when Lebron is resting.

Would give this team an entirely different look in crunchtime, which is where they have repeatedly failed against Denver the last two years.

He could give both AD and Bron a different variable. Walking fourth quarter bucket while they look to defend and be all around. Just to be able to dump it down to DeRozan would kill it versus a team like Denver.

All this team really needs is a guy who gives you 18 in the season and 18 in the playoffs to go with Reaves, Bron, and AD to be successful
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject:

I think 3 point volume has become overrated. Out of the top 10 teams in 3 point attempts, #1 and #2 made the Finals. 6 teams missed the playoffs entirely, 1 was out in the first round and the other was out in the second. Both #1 and #2 had elite defenses however. That's what the Lakers desperately need to shore up. With that said the Lakers do need to increase the attempts and maintain their percentages. The difference between the Lakers being 28th in attempts and top 10 is 5 shots a game. That can be alleviated by just having guys like Rui/Reaves/Dalton taking a couple more.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:02 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I realize that we're probably not this smart, but I'm going to galaxy brain something so just work with me here. Okay, I think we all recall when LeBron attended that playoff game in Cleveland. It's not like it could have been out of the realm of possibility for him to have talked to Mitchell while he was there. And let's just say that LeBron and the Lakers were trying to figure out a way to best steer him to the Lakers, and obviously this assumes that this is what Mitchell wants. How do you best eliminate the other possible suitors, to where Cleveland would simply want to trade him somewhere else if they have the assets, particularly if the offers were close? Well, perhaps you get it leaked through the media that you plan on signing an extension in Cleveland before free agency opens. And perhaps this leads to other possible suitors going about their business during free agency and making moves, such as the Knicks and Philadelphia. And perhaps if you're the Lakers, you make calls and you act like you might make a big move, but yet nothing comes together. IF Mitchell were to suddenly have it leaked that something changed and now he wants a trade, well, who is better positioned than us to acquire him, at this point?

I know, I know. We aren't that smart lol. But it really would be a logical way to go about it. And I do find it a little strange that he hasn't signed the extension yet. It's not like there's anything to negotiate as far as a higher dollar amount. It's not like he can squeeze any more money out of the CBA.

This actually isn't that far off from what happened with AD. AD eliminated Boston but then put out a list of teams that really didn't have the assets to get him besides the Lakers. Mitchell would be nice but seems more like pipe at this point.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:54 am    Post subject:

BTW folks, we shouldn't be worrying about Denver as the star to shoot for (beat). I think it's pretty obvious our team construction needs to be going in a different direction.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BREAKING: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed on a three-year, $150.3 million maximum contract extension that includes a player option for the 2027-2028 season, sources tell ESPN.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject:

people getting paid left an right
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed on a three-year, $150.3 million maximum contract extension that includes a player option for the 2027-2028 season, sources tell ESPN.

When can he be traded now? Assuming LeBron keeps us under the second apron with a haircut on his extension.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject:

What a piss poor off-season.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject:

I am not mad that we didn't get Klay but I am very frustrated watching good free agents signing elsewhere with reasonable contracts. Mavericks worked with the Warriors on a S&T while still using the MLE to sign Naji Marshall. I wonder why we couldn't operate in the same way
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject:

I’m all for developing young players. But exactly how many of those young players lakers have current? Outside of Max and Knech I can’t think of any. Also, if you really set your goal on youth movement, then LeBron and AD should be flipped RIGHT NOW for more young asset. This going halfway on everything just does not work, pick a side and go all in.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I’m all for developing young players. But exactly how many of those young players lakers have current? Outside of Max and Knech I can’t think of any. Also, if you really set your goal on youth movement, then LeBron and AD should be flipped RIGHT NOW for more young asset. This going halfway on everything just does not work, pick a side and go all in.

Well they consider AR, Rui, and now Hayes since JJ wanted him back. However if they see a deal they can't refuse then all bets are off. I definitely see your point though. Either you're all in on a youth movement and development or you want to win now at all costs. That is frustrating.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject:

He is a fool, but he is spot on with this.

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1807954005416726658?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject:

Pelinka is brain dead. I swear this franchise makes moves or attempts to make moves to grab a few headlines.

Their big miss was attempting to trade an 18-6 point guard who set a franchise record for 3s for a 34 year old declining Klay Thompson, and also giving him a 4 year deal to boot. So exchanging one flawed player who doesn't play defense for another declining player who can't play defense and was benched at times last year for a rookie. This was going to make us a better shooting team? Trading the one guy who can make threes on volume?

This move would have done nothing. Rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Rob Pelinka is not a guy who can lead a rebuild. You need a savy FO to maximize assets, cap space and find value in young players.
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Pelinka is brain dead. I swear this franchise makes moves or attempts to make moves to grab a few headlines.

Their big miss was attempting to trade an 18-6 point guard who set a franchise record for 3s for a 34 year old declining Klay Thompson, and also giving him a 4 year deal to boot. So exchanging one flawed player who doesn't play defense for another declining player who can't play defense and was benched at times last year for a rookie. This was going to make us a better shooting team? Trading the one guy who can make threes on volume?

This move would have done nothing. Rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Yup! All while missing out on the FA that we needed most for a very reasonable price: Jonas V @ 3/$30 million
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

So missed on Valenciunas waiting for Klay which we also couldn’t close the deal Ala Hurley, we waiting on DeMar now? No center, no Capela for DLo rumor? Are we seriously gonna run it back? J.J. that good? This off season is ruining my week so far
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

It is James who (obviously because he wants to win now as he wraps up his career) doesn't want to embrace the "youth movement" that the front office HAS TO EMBRACE WITH THE NEW CBA and prepare for life without LeBron.

It is extremely difficult to do both things and it does create this conflict- but I am sure Pelinka is attempting to do so based on all the rumors out there and the fact that we did try to get Thompson on board. A sign and trade probably would have cost equally what the Mavericks wound up giving up, which is a pair of 2nd round picks, but evidently we couldn't find a third team and/or Klay simply took the same offer (ours was higher reportedly but with Texas tax it probably was closer to even) for what he considered a more-ready title contender.

They might very well do it for DeRozan too assuming they can find a 3rd team to take some salary off our books- and yes, whether it is a mistake or not, Russell is the guy they would likely have to move, because of his relative value, the amount he is making and the obvious expring contract.

DDR does not fit what the Lakers are trying to do at all- spread the floor and create more shooting and close that gap of ONE THOUSAND POINTS OVER THE LAST TWO SEASONS (how much we have been outscored from distance) and at the cost of Russell, who was your #1 3-point shooter in volume and percentage last season. But yet they are likely trying to make that happen for James, who simply wants another high end player or otherwise he isn't taking the pay cut.

I dont think there is another free agent that James would be willing to do that for. Gary Trent or Buddy Hield? I seriously doubt it.

So instead it is a tight rope on what Pelinka should do. A basketball trade would be better for the team but the new CBA rules makes that hard to do as well as the serious limitations on who the Lakers could dangle.

Pelinka messed up by giving all his minimum signings last season (Hayes, Reddish, Wood) and of course Russell PLAYER OPTIONS and they all opted in- and only one of the ones in parenthesis can be dealt in a single trade; they can't be combined with the new rules.

Not sure how Rob can make the team better, take advantage of James paycut and get a guy he is acceptable in doing so with as well as not trade away young assets (first round picks or Rui, Vandy, Reeves, Christie, Knecht) and not hurt our outside shooting even more by parting with Russell....
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Well they consider AR, Rui, and now Hayes since JJ wanted him back. However if they see a deal they can't refuse then all bets are off. I definitely see your point though. Either you're all in on a youth movement and development or you want to win now at all costs. That is frustrating.

I don’t know why you guys say this. People act like going all in is a guarantee of a championship. What would you say if you knew going all in would only increase your chances by 5%? Hopefully you would ask well what was it before? I would say 25%. So going all in raises your chances to a whopping 30%! Going all in is not financially responsible if you don’t believe in your top two over 30 stars. The Lakers, and some fans including myself, think the window is shut. So working within that premise think about what losing Bron and AD means. It means losing A LOT of games, not having our own draft picks in 2025/2027, to look forward to and being unwatchable. Being that bad also means being financially irresponsible. You know how much money they will lose without at least being competitive for the next half decade? How much money they will lose without having a star or two to represent the purple and gold?

It’s easy to sit here and be like oh just pick a lane you fools! Will you be around to support a 10 win team that loses by 30 every night and has nothing to look forward to for years? I much prefer doing the best to be competitive today, while probably not a title contender, without completely throwing away the future. I’m not in any hurry to watch anything resembling the Jeremy Lin Lakers, even if I know the window is closed.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
He is a fool, but he is spot on with this.

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1807954005416726658?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Called that (bleep) day one son!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

kfkilla wrote:
King Randle wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I don’t know why you guys say this. People act like going all in is a guarantee of a championship. What would you say if you knew going all in would only increase your chances by 5%? Hopefully you would ask well what was it before? I would say 25%. So going all in raises your chances to a whopping 30%! Going all in is not financially responsible if you don’t believe in your top two over 30 stars. The Lakers, and some fans including myself, think the window is shut. So working within that premise think about what losing Bron and AD means. It means losing A LOT of games, not having our own draft picks in 2025/2027, to look forward to and being unwatchable. Being that bad also means being financially irresponsible. You know how much money they will lose without at least being competitive for the next half decade? How much money they will lose without having a star or two to represent the purple and gold?

It’s easy to sit here and be like oh just pick a lane you fools! Will you be around to support a 10 win team that loses by 30 every night and has nothing to look forward to for years? I much prefer doing the best to be competitive today, while probably not a title contender, without completely throwing away the future. I’m not in any hurry to watch anything resembling the Jeremy Lin Lakers, even if I know the window is closed.

Pelinka can do moves without involving the future firsts, he has 4 expiring contracts and tradable second rd picks, get a center

Last edited by governator on Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

4 year deal for Klay would be bad. I really wouldn't go for Klay unless he takes MLE. Guy is cooked at D. Also now we would have to replace DLO's playmaking next to getting a two way wing and a center.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2904, 2905, 2906 ... 2969, 2970, 2971  Next
Page 2905 of 2971
Jump to: