NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2859, 2860, 2861 ... 2936, 2937, 2938  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:
“OKC added Caruso and Hartenstein this summer without giving up a single rotation player that matters and any first round picks.

What the hell”

Saw this tweet and it’s my exact thoughts as well: WTF!!

But SAM PRESTI has NEVER won a chip. That was the argument by some really "smart" LGers on why Presti wouldn't be a great VP of BBall Operations if the Lakers ever got bot by a real ownership team (Guggenheim).

Getting to the second round of the playoffs every 7-10 years isn’t much of an accomplishment, IMO.
l

So clueless

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your perceived bias. Ultimately, it’s the results that matter. Maybe this will be their year now.. it’s easy to get good players when you’re picking in the top 5-10 of the draft every season.

I don’t think this fan base would be on board with the OKC results, do you?

They had a prime Kevin Durant and made it to one NBA finals. Nice job Sam.

Sure. Since 20210 .... OKC has missed the playoffs 4x and the Lakers 7x

OKC would have likely won a title if they were able to keep that team together but finances didn't allow them to being in a small market.

Just saying Presti has been able to do an amazing job with a bad hand.

It didn’t seem like “[j]ust saying” to me.. since you used the word “clueless.”

It took an unprecedented NBA trade veto to push the Lakers into lottery hell. It killed their players trade value and destroyed the locker room.

2 WCF and 1 NBAF in 17 seasons. During that time they had a prime Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Durant, Westbrook, and Harden were all top 5 picks. Maybe it was the players around them that were the problem? Maybe there is more to building an NBA roster than just “drafting and developing.”

I like their moves this summer. The Hartenstein signing was an obvious one to make. The Caruso pickup was shrewd. We’ll see what happens.

If the Lakers had the Sam Presti results over the past 17 seasons I don’t think anyone around here would have been too happy.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject:

Don't we have to get rid of guys to add guys?

Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Lakers always late to the party. when teams are winning titles with super team (early-mid 2010s), Lakers are holding onto aging Kobe and Pau, they were not able to land another star to form their own super team. now the landscape of the league has changed to a more balanced approach in building title teams, and guess what, Lakers are now the only remaining team builds around aging super stars and still trying find another one to form a top heavy "super team".

Morey - 0 rings, 0 finals

Presti - 0 rings, lost 3 mvps

Frank/West - 0 runs, 0 finals, no picks, and 3 playoff series wins in 5 years

Pelinka resume still looks better and so does Jeanie - scoreboard
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Yes and no. You can have so many to the season starts
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

I hope senile snake Ballmer isn’t working behind the scenes to have a new big 3 of Kawhi/DeRozan/Harden, I bet that’s actually what’s going on right now and that **** Ballmer probably looking to get Klay on that team as well
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:
“OKC added Caruso and Hartenstein this summer without giving up a single rotation player that matters and any first round picks.

What the hell”

But SAM PRESTI has NEVER won a chip. That was the argument by some really "smart" LGers on why Presti wouldn't be a great VP of BBall Operations if the Lakers ever got bot by a real ownership team (Guggenheim).

Getting to the second round of the playoffs every 7-10 years isn’t much of an accomplishment, IMO.
l

So clueless

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your perceived bias. Ultimately, it’s the results that matter. Maybe this will be their year now.. it’s easy to get good players when you’re picking in the top 5-10 of the draft every season.

OKC would have likely won a title if they were able to keep that team together but finances didn't allow them to being in a small market.

It took an unprecedented NBA trade veto to push the Lakers into lottery hell. It killed their players trade value and destroyed the locker room.

2 WCF and 1 NBAF in 17 seasons. During that time they had a prime Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Durant, Westbrook, and Harden were all top 5 picks. Maybe it was the players around them that were the problem? Maybe there is more to building an NBA roster than just “drafting and developing.”

I like their moves this summer. The Hartenstein signing was an obvious one to make. The Caruso pickup was shrewd. We’ll see what happens.

If the Lakers had the Sam Presti results over the past 17 seasons I don’t think anyone around here would have been too happy.

He also got lucky with KD by getting the 2nd pick, would have drafted Oden.

Also got lucky with SGA since PG asked for the trade and they didn't have the intention to trade him. Clippers offered.

Hasn't been that great at drafting
2011: Reggie Jackson, 24th

2012: Perry Jackson, 28th

2013: Steven Adams, 12th

2014: Mitch McGary, 21st

2015: Cameron Payne, 14th

2017: Terrance Ferguson, 21st
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

Kblo247! wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Lakers always late to the party. when teams are winning titles with super team (early-mid 2010s), Lakers are holding onto aging Kobe and Pau, they were not able to land another star to form their own super team. now the landscape of the league has changed to a more balanced approach in building title teams, and guess what, Lakers are now the only remaining team builds around aging super stars and still trying find another one to form a top heavy "super team".

Laker fans have waaaay hire expectations for the Lakers than other teams. That much is clear.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Yup
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject:

Denver loses another vital part of their defense, while OKC gains 2 coveted defenders. I have them coming out of the West. They are a complete team now.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Free agent guard Delon Wright has agreed on a one-year, $3.3 million deal with the Milwaukee Bucks, sources tell ESPN.

Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:

What the hell”

l

So clueless

Also got lucky with SGA since PG asked for the trade and they didn't have the intention to trade him. Clippers offered.

I didn’t really want to go there yet.. but this is correct. SGA fell into OKCs lap because the Clippers were desperate and he was their only real asset. Who else were they going to ask for? The Clippers also had to attach a boatload of picks to him to seal the deal. Good move for OKC. Does it make Presti some sort of super GM genius? Obviously not.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong… with Christie signing his extension before august he is eligible to be traded at any time right?
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:

What the hell”

l

So clueless

I didn’t really want to go there yet.. but this is correct. SGA fell into OKCs lap because the Clippers were desperate and he was their only real asset. Who else were they going to ask for? The Clippers also had to attach a boatload of picks to him to seal the deal. Good move for OKC. Does it make Presti some sort of super GM genius? Obviously not.

Lucky? SGA fell into his lap? But how?

Oh because he was smart enough to trade for PG13 (and screwed the Lakers).
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Get Up

@GetUpESPN
@windhorstESPN
says the Lakers are "a step away" from being able to bring Klay Thompson to L.A. 👀

Is the "step away" swallowing the asset dump they have to do to get rid of DLO?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Get Up

@GetUpESPN
@windhorstESPN
says the Lakers are "a step away" from being able to bring Klay Thompson to L.A. 👀

Def read as creating space aka moving salary
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

2011 - Dallas> Heat
2012 - Heat>OKC
2013 - Heat>Spurs
2014 - Spurs>Heat
2015 - Warriors>Cavs
2016 - Cavs>Warriors
2017 - Warriors>Cavs
2018 - Warriors>Cavs
2019 - Raptors>Warriors
2020 - Lakers>Heat
2021 - Suns>Bucks
2022 - Warriors>Celtics
2023 - Nuggets>Heat
2024 - Celtics>Dallas

so, looking at just actual rings.

Bob Myers - 4x
Pat Riley - 2x
Rob Pelinka - 1x
Brad Stevens - 1x
Tim Connelly - 1x
James Jones - 1x
David Griffin - 1x
Donnie Nelson - 1x

As amazing as Stevens or Connelly are/were, they are tied w/ Rob lol.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Get Up

@GetUpESPN
@windhorstESPN

He was referring to a salary clearing move. Dallas already did theirs.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:

What the hell”

l

So clueless

Lucky? SGA fell into his lap? But how?

Oh because he was smart enough to trade for PG13 (and screwed the Lakers).

Smart enough? He didn't think of it. Pg13 came to them and asked for a trade to the Clippers
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Someone correct me if I’m wrong… with Christie signing his extension before august he is eligible to be traded at any time right?

nope. can't be traded till jan.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

If it’s between DeMar or Klay, I’m going with DeMar, he’s still a elite shot maker, his 3pt shot is much more respectful then it was 3-4 years ago, I read this morning that the Bulls were looking to S&T DeRozan, so maybe DLO goes to Chicago or to a 3rd team and we acquire DeRozan on the amount Chicago signs him for
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope senile snake Ballmer isn’t working behind the scenes to have a new big 3 of Kawhi/DeRozan/Harden, I bet that’s actually what’s going on right now and that **** Ballmer probably looking to get Klay on that team as well

On what planet is that a big 3?
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

On what planet is that a big 3?

In name only. Kinda like a Bron, AD , Klay trio. Not an actual threat but really cool to see on paper /in a box score
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If it’s between DeMar or Klay, I’m going with DeMar, he’s still a elite shot maker, his 3pt shot is much more respectful then it was 3-4 years ago, I read this morning that the Bulls were looking to S&T DeRozan, so maybe DLO goes to Chicago or to a 3rd team and we acquire DeRozan on the amount Chicago signs him for

agree, Demarr definitely brings more to the table than Klay. just how much better is Klay from DLO really? last time i checked Klay pooped the bed also in the playoffs. this team needs another playmaker other than LeBron badly. Klay isn't that guy.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

nomoreshaq wrote:

Bob Myers - 4x
Pat Riley - 2x
Rob Pelinka - 1x
Brad Stevens - 1x
Tim Connelly - 1x
James Jones - 1x
David Griffin - 1x
Donnie Nelson - 1x

As amazing as Stevens or Connelly are/were, they are tied w/ Rob lol.

I'd argue those guys had a much bigger hand in the architecture of their teams. Rob inherited a team that had already stockpiled assets and then just gave them all up for Anthony Davis. Lebron was already coming. His contributions were signing Rondo, Dwight, Javale, Morris, etc.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

Well if Sam Presti was on the Lakers they most likely wouldn't have broken up the Big 3 of Durant, Westbrook, and Harden before they reached their peak. And this is such a disingenuous post on your part. I honestly hate these type of bad faith arguments that you often see on the internet.

Durant was drafted in 2007 at 19 years old, Westbrook got drafted in 2008 at 20 years old, and Harden got drafted in 2009 and 20 years old. Usually a players prime begins around 25. So we NEVER saw PRIME Harden on the Thunder, as you stated. So right off the bat you're stretching the "truth" to make your argument work. Eliminate 2007-2009 from your window, because they didn't even make the playoffs those years as they were still in the process of acquiring their Big 3 and were insanely young. Let's look at the rest of their playoff results:

2010: Made the playoffs as an 8th seed and pushed the defending champion Kobe/Pau Lakers to a tough 6 games that ended on a walk-off Pau Gasol putback game-winner.

2011: Lost to the eventual champion Mavs in the Conference Finals (the same team that beat the defending champion Kobe/Pau Lakers and then upset the Superteam Heatles)

2012: Made it to the Finals and their young Big 3 (still in their young 20s, Harden wasn't even a starter yet) lost to a Big 3 Heatles of grown men all in their primes.

2013: They lose Harden. Beverly injures Westbrook in the 1st round and is out for the rest of the playoffs. Thunder lose to the Grizz in the Conference Seminfinals.

2014: Lose against the eventual champion Dynasty Spurs (one of the greatest passing teams of all time) in the Conference Finals.

2015: Both Durant and Westbrook had injury-riddled seasons. Durant missed the rest of the season. Thunder miss playoffs.

2016: They go up 3-1 on the 73-win Warriors "Greatest Team of All Time" only to end up losing the series 3-4.

Durant goes to the Warriors.

As you can see 1) Unfortunate injuries, 2) Simply losing against superior championship teams (Lakers, Spurs, Warriors, Mavs), 3) Them losing Harden before he reached his prime, and 4) Them being incredibly young to start with played huge roles in them failing to win a championship. That has NOTHING to do with Presti.

So that's 10 years from your stated 17 years window. These current Thunder are JUST NOW starting to shape into a contender.

Last edited by Batguano on Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2859, 2860, 2861 ... 2936, 2937, 2938  Next
Page 2860 of 2938
Jump to: