NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2761, 2762, 2763 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
MJST wrote:
daytripper wrote:
DLo is not a long term fit with Reaves.

Dunno why you're talking as if Reaves is a better player than DLO. He isn't.

It's not about "DLO's fit next to Reaves." It's Reaves fit next to DLO, which means being able to play defense and hit threes consistently.

That is why the Lakers got Knecht and there's talk of increasing Max Christie's role. Reaves if he doesn't get his threes and defense down will be the Super 6th man of the team.

Check the playoff scoreboard my boy.

Reaves upped his averages to 17 in the wcf run.

Reaves went into the year and was 16 point player this past year and maintained his 17 point average while chasing Murray.

Reaves sample alone makes him better and more reliable than Mr I drop from 18 to 12, 18 to 13, 18 to 14 when the playoffs come … maybe if we give him a 4 year deal, he will translate that 18 average to 18 though …

But yeah Reaves has an actual market and Dlo can’t even get money offered to him in two summers. Reaves also has translatable regular season and playoff play. And unlike Dlo, Reaves is liked in nba locker rooms. He’s the better player and asset.

They'll ignore all of that and continue to say DLO > Reaves

It's not Dlo vs AR-15. Both players have a lot of upside. If the league has more interested in AR that's fine. I actually like him a little more too but not crazy more. I'll take the good and the bad with both players and listen to teams if they have good trade offers on the table, but don't make a move just to make a move

It is DLO vs AR. We need to move one because both of them starting leaves you with two negative defenders who dont create for themselves at a high enough level to play both.

I can see the argument that AR is the better player/higher value so he'll net you more in a trade so he should be the one to go, but to say DLO > AR is just blind DLO homerism.

We are where we are, don't trade either if it doesn't net something that's worth it. What I mean is let the league dictate the value and use that to our advantage. But if the league isn't having a correct view of our assets there isn't much we can do. If we get a great offer for either Dlo or AR listen but don't do something just to do something.

I don't really have any attachment to either player besides the Lakers jersey they're in. Again I agree with you that I think AR is a little better but not much and I get it's the off-season so this is the time to make a case for your personal favorites and it's fun. But at end of the day the FO can only make moves with the chess pieces they have.

If there's a good trade out there take it but I wouldn't be expecting one just keep yours ear out and make the necessary calls and ask yourself if the trade offer on the table actually helps us or is it doing something for the sake of it. Go on and fun but it's way more likely Reaves gets moved before Dlo just because of the markets and how they undervalue Dlo at this point in time. Sell high not low

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Lakers were extremely lucky that Dlo opted in.. keeps their options open.

It buys them time to wait for the right move.

Lucky how? Dude had zero market last year outside of us. No one appeared to want him via trade last year. Now he has value. 18m expiring. He made himself valuable. My guess is if traded he goes to a tanking team, because they know he’s not good enough to mess a tank up, but gives you hollow numbers to make it look like you aren’t tanking.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

Which team was gonna give DLo more than $18.7M a year if he opted out?
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Lucky how? Dude had zero market last year outside of us. No one appeared to want him via trade last year. Now he has value. 18m expiring. He made himself valuable. My guess is if traded he goes to a tanking team, because they know he’s not good enough to mess a tank up, but gives you hollow numbers to make it look like you aren’t tanking.

So what exactly do you disagree with?

That’s exactly my point. They can trade him.

He could have gotten more guaranteed money if he opted out. He decided to opt in and wait.. to the Lakers benefit.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Which team was gonna give DLo more than $18.7M a year if he opted out?

I think 18.7m is still a fair offer, sure the markets where never going to give him that but the market also just gave OG with the Knicks 220m, which is laughably bad. It's not a terrible contract, maybe slightly high but it locks him down and he is an asset regardless of what the current market thinks
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject:

I am in the minority on this, but I am very open to moving Reaves (26 years old) instead of DLO. I even feel defensively DLO has a bit more versatility to be able to use some length to challenge shots and disrupt passing lanes.

If the player is a wing, who can start and defend multiple positions, that is the right balance around AD/Bron/DLO/Rui/Kenecht. We could possibly trade Austin + 1 pick + Vanderbilt + Gabe for such a player. If that sort of move is available, I would personally do it.

Running it back with a new coach who has better Xs and Os will improve the result only marginally.

Of course knowing Pelinka, he may be looking for a big move at the trade deadline if one isn't available now. In 2022 he ran it back with Westbrook with a new coach talking about how the new coach would do better. When the results were just as bad, by trade deadline Westbrook was gone. At this moment they're buying the cool aid that it was all Ham's fault. So are many fans.

We may not have a good enough deal available at the moment. That may change eventually. Or the situation may not improve, thus forcing Pelinka's hand.

Don't get me wrong, I rather keep Austin, but I am not against keeping DLO. To me DLO and Austin aren't that different in impact wise. It's just that Austin's trade value and league value is much higher based on age, salary, and not having the rep that DLO seems to have. As a point guard even, I think DLO is fine being a partner to Lebron's.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject:

This is actually good news that everyone is opting in for salary matching reasons. I know this is repetitive, but this is really where we are at:

1. Anthony Davis
2. LeBron James
3. OPEN
4. Austin Reaves
5. OPEN
6. Jared Vanderbilt
7. OPEN
8. Dalton Knecht
9. OPEN
10. Max Christie

The Lakers really need to try and keep these 6 guys, based on what I think Redick is trying to do and how they should fit, as well as Vanderbilt being the only true wing we have right now...

They have 4 "open spots" and the rest of the guys on the roster are tradeable:

PG D'Angelo Russell $18.6 million (final year)
PF Rui Hachimura $17.0 million (2 years left)
PG Gabe Vincent $11.0 million (2 years)
SG Jalen Hood-Schifino $3.8 million (3 years)
C/F Christian Wood $3 million (final)
SF Cam Reddish $2.4 million (final- almost assuredly opting in)
C Jaxson Hayes $2.4 million (final)

Those four "open spots" must be filled by a C, PG, WING and WING.

An 11th spot would be ideal to re-sign Prince and the last spot(s) can be minimum guys

It is ok to have one of Russell/Hachimura coming back to fill one of those two remaining spots because they are solid rotation players- but Pelinka ABSOLUTELY must find 2 more wing players or at the very least one very good one, a CENTER who can play 25-30 minutes and open up the floor and re-signing Prince.

With the two first rounders, pick swaps, (2) second rounders next year, an exception (one or other type depending on how much James/Christie sign for) and these salary matches- he "should" be able to make this happen...

Now we get to see if he can
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject:

That 2nd apron hurts us a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if we ran it back with a healthy Gabe Vincent and Vando now able to play in 1st half of season and then start planning on trades heading towards trade deadline.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:20 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

So what exactly do you disagree with?

That’s exactly my point. They can trade him.

He could have gotten more guaranteed money if he opted out. He decided to opt in and wait.. to the Lakers benefit.

He was never going to opt out. This is all he had. It wasn’t luck, it would have been a horrible business decision for him to do so. Maybe that is luck, that he’s smart enough to know he’s not highly regarded. So I guess you are right. Bobby marks after we were eliminated suggested maybe the Magic could offer him 11m per for a few years, but there was never a market outside of a salary dump for a guy who has numbers. That tells you everything you need to know about dlo. On paper he should be a 25-30 m per highly valued guy.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

If we wanted to make a real move we would trade AD, his trade value is at an all-time high after playing all year injury free. But we won't do that because of optics, politics and it being hard to trade in general.

So it's another AD and LBJ lead team. Let's hope next year is different and it might be, it's a new season but we are far from being the favorites. But even if we make a small move, we're still not going to be the favorite. So make sure it's a smart move.

Maybe DK takes this league by storm and is rookie of the year fueling a deep playoff run. Shooter gotta shoot
bkt4208
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject:

Reaves at least has "potential" to be a better defender than DLo...

Russell has been in the league for 9 seasons and has gotten no better on that end, plus Austin is 2 years younger, 2 inches taller, 15-20 pounds heavier and signed to a much better deal (3 yrs left and around 40 million).

And we already know who has proven to be the better playoff performer:

Reaves: 35.9 MPG- 16.9 PPG- 40% from three
DLo: 31.3 MPG- 13.5 PPG- 31% from three

Reaves>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russell
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject:

DLO is still currently a Laker so with him exercising his player option he has to act like he’s gonna be a Laker and return next year, because he is still under the Lakers payroll, this doesn’t mean anything but he can still get traded.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject:

If the right opportunity does not present itself, I would stand pat for now. Lets see what JJ can do. Why shoot our load now. We might be better served waiting until the deadline. It not only gives us the time to truly evaluate the roster but there will be several players who are not be available now but will become available. I think we need patience. The last thing we should do is squander FRP's for this team if it doesn't move the envelop. I know this is not a popular position, but this may be our best path going forward.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject:

Current roster:

AD/Wood/Hayes
Lebron/Vanderbilt
Rui/Kenecht*/Maxwell
Austin/Christie*/JHS
DLO/Vincent/Bronny*

* RFA/Bird Right draft pick to be signed

We're already at 14 players I believe if we keep Christie and Cam Reddish has an opt in as well. If Cam opts in, if we sign the draft picks, we're full. So likely we'll have to move one of the 15.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Valdarno
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
If the right opportunity does not present itself, I would stand pat for now. Lets see what JJ can do. Why shoot our load now. We might be better served waiting until the deadline. It not only gives us the time to truly evaluate the roster but there will be several players who are not be available now but will become available. I think we need patience. The last thing we should do is squander FRP's for this team if it doesn't move the envelop. I know this is not a popular position, but this may be our best path going forward.

Having “patience “ will lead to a lower record, probably play-in position. Not even God could make the current roster a really good team, so why waste time? Strike now!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Current roster:

AD/Wood/Hayes
Lebron/Vanderbilt
Rui/Kenecht*/Maxwell
Austin/Christie*/JHS
DLO/Vincent/Bronny*

We're already at 14 players I believe if we keep Christie and Cam Reddish has an opt in as well. If Cam opts in, if we sign the draft picks, we're full. So likely we'll have to move one of the 15.

Yeah 15 with Reddish opting in (stupid if he does not, no market out there for him). Going to be tough for FO to upgrade this roster without giving up picks. Other than AR not a lot of players other teams want.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject:

Jovan Buha: Lakers expected to explore trade scenarios involving DLO
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ESPN Sources: Nine-time All-Star G Russell Westbrook is picking up his $4 million option and returning to the Los Angeles Clippers. Westbrook averaged 11.1 points, 5 rebounds and 4.5 assists a season ago.

Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject:

There's nothing we need to find out with "what we have."

This team was mediocre all season with the most important players on the team being healthy all season.

This team was bad defensively with the "ideal" lineup, and replacing some of those offensive players with better defensive players resulted in too big of a drop off on offense.

The roster isn't there.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ESPN Sources: Miami Heat F/C Kevin Love is declining his $4M player option, but both sides are enthusiastic about negotiating a new deal in the opening days of free agency. The five-time All-Star has played the past two seasons with the Heat.

Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
And? They can get a 1st or 2 for Cam

Nobody is giving up picks of any real value for Cameron Johnson. Maybe you might get a team to give up a top 20 protected pick that turns into a pair of 2nds if it doesn't convey.

two first for cameron johnson is insane, im not even sure he has postive value
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
ESPN Sources: Nine-time All-Star G Russell Westbrook is picking up his $4 million option and returning to the Los Angeles Clippers. Westbrook averaged 11.1 points, 5 rebounds and 4.5 assists a season ago.

We must never forget that Rob traded KCP, Kuzma, Trez, and a 1st round pick to pay this vet min player $47M per year.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject:

Not the least bit shocking to me that DLo's best offers out there were basically the full MLE. Hopefully we send him to a situation he likes.

Unfortunately I don't see a clear team that has a need for him. Even Brooklyn doesn't make sense ow that they're blowing it up. Orlando could have signed him outright. The Spurs?

Last edited by levon on Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

We must never forget that Rob traded KCP, Kuzma, Trez, and a 1st round pick to pay this vet min player $47M per year.

He also let Caruso walk for THT
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Current roster:

AD/Wood/Hayes
Lebron/Vanderbilt
Rui/Kenecht*/Maxwell
Austin/Christie*/JHS
DLO/Vincent/Bronny*

Functional roster without a ton of holes but clearly not enough
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2761, 2762, 2763 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 2762 of 2865
Jump to: