NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2759, 2760, 2761 ... 2861, 2862, 2863  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
cital wrote:
So basically, unless there is a trade or players with guaranteed contracts are waived, we will have the exact same team as last year except Knecht will replace Prince and Bronny will replace Dinwiddie. This is assuming they resign Christie as well.

AD/Hayes
Rui/Wood
LBJ/Vando/Kinect4/MaxLew
AR/CamRed/MaxChris
Dlo/Vincent/JHS/Bronny

We don’t even have a roster spot to spend the tMLE
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
From Buha, writing in The Athletic:

"Internally with the Lakers, there is a sense that there is a clear ceiling to a Reaves-D'lo backcourt pairing. Reaves is younger, better defensively, a superior playoff performer and is on a team-friendly multi-year contract."

"The Lakers are armed with two 1st Round picks (2029 and 2031), three pick swaps ('26, '28, and '30), and recent 1st Round picks JHS and Knecht to offer teams in trades in the coming days and weeks."

"How long Russell remains a Laker is another matter altogether. After failing to trade Russell ahead of the '24 deadline, the Lakers are expected to be aggressive in pursuing Russell-centric trades, according to league and team sources. Russell's expiring contract immediately becomes one of Los Angeles' more valuable trade assets, particularly for salary-matching purposes."

I'll take it if the Lakers find the right move, but I'm just skeptical he'll be able to be the main piece of a big trade.

DLo just doesn't have that much value around the league for some reason. If he did, he would've opted out and gotten paid by someone.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ChickenStu wrote:
Woike says the Lakers are expected to re-sign Max Christie, though he notes that Christie is "expected to have interest from rival teams." He also notes that the Lakers can, of course, match any offer he receives.

I'm guessing it's bye bye to Taurean Prince? IDK if Trevor Lane actually has sources but I was bored and listening to the LakersNation podcast and he seemed authoritative that the Lakers plan to re-sign Christie and they don't see Knecht's drafting getting in the way of that
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

Palin wrote:
Not sure how we replace DLO if we trade him. Reaves is not a playmaker. who can we get? Trae demands so much salary to match plus all the picks. Sexton? He is not better than DLO. Brogdon? Not really playmaker and injury prone. Garland? Overpaid and not much better than Dlo.

They are in the same ballpark but I prefer Sexton because he only shoots 2% worse from 3-point range over the past 2 years, but he gets to the FT line about 2 more times per game and he shoots better from there than D'lo does. He's also the quicker and more athletic player so he would put more pressure on a defense, and he's a better defender too. D'lo has been played off the floor in the playoffs when his shot isn't falling. I feel like Sexton can do more things well.

Sexton is younger and cheaper, too. If we're going after a Klutch guard, I'd much rather go for him than Garland. But I want Kessler in the deal too. We need to find a way to make that happen.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:38 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Woike says the Lakers are expected to re-sign Max Christie, though he notes that Christie is "expected to have interest from rival teams." He also notes that the Lakers can, of course, match any offer he receives.

I'm guessing it's bye bye to Taurean Prince? IDK if Trevor Lane actually has sources but I was bored and listening to the LakersNation podcast and he seemed authoritative that the Lakers plan to re-sign Christie and they don't see Knecht's drafting getting in the way of that

I would think so about no Prince, yes, which is good. We need to get more athletic on the wing. I just really think Christie can be solid with consistent minutes. I think the front office was really miffed with how Ham didn't use him.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

DLo is not a long term fit with Reaves. Get whatever value you can get now as the Lakers are not going to resign him. Knecht should be able to come in and replace some of DLo's shooting.

Needs:
1. Big
2. Wing
3. Athleticism in the backcourt
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

D’Angelo Russell to ESPN on his decision to opt in for the final year of his contract with the Lakers for $18.7 million: “I love what JJ is about and I really see myself thriving under his guidance to help win at a high level.”

Don't think hes getting traded
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I would think so about no Prince, yes, which is good. We need to get more athletic on the wing. I just really think Christie can be solid with consistent minutes. I think the front office was really miffed with how Ham didn't use him.

I like Prince tbh we could use some movement shooters like him
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
DLo is not a long term fit with Reaves.

Dunno why you're talking as if Reaves is a better player than DLO. He isn't.

It's not about "DLO's fit next to Reaves." It's Reaves fit next to DLO, which means being able to play defense and hit threes consistently.

That is why the Lakers got Knecht and there's talk of increasing Max Christie's role. Reaves if he doesn't get his threes and defense down will be the Super 6th man of the team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

Yama wrote:
D’Angelo Russell to ESPN on his decision to opt in for the final year of his contract with the Lakers for $18.7 million: “I love what JJ is about and I really see myself thriving under his guidance to help win at a high level.”

I wouldn't read too much into this. It's not like he can say "I didn't have the free agent market that I thought I would -- again -- so I'm opting in and allowing the Lakers to find a trade for me."
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

ChickenStu wrote:
Yama wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into this.

That goes both ways.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
MJST wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Buha: "How long Russell remains a Laker is another matter altogether."

With everyone most likely coming back then drafting Knecht/Bronny... We have a huge logjam right now at the PG/SG spot and were really thin upfront.

Bronny ain't getting a single relevant minute in the NBA if the Lakers are serious about contending.

So let's look at the roster

Starters:
D"Angelo Russell
Dalton Knecht
Jarred Vanderbilt
LeBron James
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent / JHS
Austin Reaves / Max Christie
Rui Hachimura / Blake Hinson
Christian Wood
Jaxson Hayes

G-League: Bronny James, Maxwell Lewis, JHS, (any Summer League standouts)
If anything when you look at this roster, Vincent would be the guy on the move if Reaves was moved permanently to the Backup 1, and Christie being the Backup 2.

Two non-spacers in the starting lineup, Hayes the only backup big (Wood is a PF), Vincent still largely unproven with us, same with JHS/Lewis…

You could easily fix that if it was an issue with swapping Vando and Rui in the lineups.

If DLO, Knecht and LeBron are going to be the floor spacers(according to Redick), then that means Vando is the slasher/cutter to the basket and AD would be operating inside and from mid, hopefully.

But then you lack a lot of perimeter defense at your 1 through 3. This is what I mean by needing to find a player, or players, that have greater two-way impact, rather than just mainly providing offense or defense

And i agree that in no case should we overpay to improve, but I do think there’s ways around fixing the issues within our squad. The new coach hire was the first step (and JJ’s said all the right things so far)
#18 next...

Last edited by alleyoop on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I like Prince tbh we could use some movement shooters like him

It's not like he's awful, but I think it's pretty clear that management is going to prioritize Christie this time, and I'm just not sure that there is going to be any money left to stay under the 2nd apron and keep Prince, not if we're giving Christie at least $5MM, which I believe it will take. But let's see what happens.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah I’m one of TP’s bigger fans but Knecht is taking his role
#18 next...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I am warming up to a Russell/JHS/Hayes type trade for Cam Johnson. In my dream world this is JHS miraculously being healthy in summer league and actually looking good, so the Lakers only need a single FRP.

Reaves/ Christie/ Johnson/ LeBron/ AD is actually a nice lineup.
Vincent/ Knecht/ Vanderbilt/ Rui/ Wood is your bench roughly. Reddish is additional guard depth.

Bronny/Lewis are G-Leaguers.

Still have two roster spots: likely another backup point guard (Dunn??) as well as the tough center we need. Maybe LeBron takes a discount so we can get Goga

Last edited by tox on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

MJST wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Yama wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into this.

That goes both ways.

Fair enough, but the Lakers have flirted with the idea of trading Russell seemingly from the moment the '22-23 season ended. That's no secret.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Apparently we will likely be near the 2nd apron after Lebron/Max re-sign.
https://x.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1806936401553850671

It doesn't seem like a realistic option for the Lakers to waive Cam or Hayes in order to pay someone else. So a trade almost has to happen unless Lakers want to run it back with Knecht/Bronny replacing Spencer/Prince.

And the Lakers taking on money in a trade seems unlikely. So many new CBA limitations. And if they trade multiple players in a trade they are hard capped under the 2nd apron.

The NBA made it very difficult to make moves. If you aren't careful you can get stuck with a roster and not many options to make changes. You do have to be careful about giving everyone a player option.

Last edited by eureca on Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Apparently we will likely be near the 2nd apron after Lebron/Max re-sign.
https://x.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1806936401553850671

It doesn't seem like a realistic option for the Lakers to waive Cam or Hayes in order to pay someone else. So a trade almost has to happen unless Lakers want to run it back with Knecht/Bronny replacing Spencer/Prince.

And the Lakers taking on money in a trade seems unlikely. So many new CBA limitations. And if they trade multiple players in a trade they are hard capped under the 2nd apron.

The NBA made it very difficult to make moves. If you aren't careful you can get stuck with a roster and not many options to make changes. You do have to be careful about giving everyone a player option.

If you send out multiple players in a trade then you are hard capped under the 2nd apron.

I think Rui might be on his way out for a smaller salary then
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Palin wrote:
Not sure how we replace DLO if we trade him. Reaves is not a playmaker. who can we get? Trae demands so much salary to match plus all the picks. Sexton? He is not better than DLO. Brogdon? Not really playmaker and injury prone. Garland? Overpaid and not much better than Dlo.

They are in the same ballpark but I prefer Sexton because he only shoots 2% worse from 3-point range over the past 2 years, but he gets to the FT line about 2 more times per game and he shoots better from there than D'lo does. He's also the quicker and more athletic player so he would put more pressure on a defense, and he's a better defender too. D'lo has been played off the floor in the playoffs when his shot isn't falling. I feel like Sexton can do more things well.

Sexton is younger and cheaper, too. If we're going after a Klutch guard, I'd much rather go for him than Garland. But I want Kessler in the deal too. We need to find a way to make that happen.

Agreed.
Sexton is younger and will provide alot more pressure on the rim as he gets to the FT line at a good clip. He's a really good catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. He's also signed for 2 more seasons. If they go that route hopefully they could also extract Kessler from the Jazz which would solve another huge problem.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
daytripper wrote:
DLo is not a long term fit with Reaves.

Dunno why you're talking as if Reaves is a better player than DLO. He isn't.

It's not about "DLO's fit next to Reaves." It's Reaves fit next to DLO, which means being able to play defense and hit threes consistently.

That is why the Lakers got Knecht and there's talk of increasing Max Christie's role. Reaves if he doesn't get his threes and defense down will be the Super 6th man of the team.

Reaves is the better 2 way player and has a lot more value around the league.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Palin wrote:

Agreed.
Sexton is younger and will provide alot more pressure on the rim as he gets to the FT line at a good clip. He's a really good catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. He's also signed for 2 more seasons. If they go that route hopefully they could also extract Kessler from the Jazz which would solve another huge problem.

With the CBA rules, I realised that think the package you’d have to send out is DLo/JHS, rather than DLo/Reddish or Hayes

But I don’t think anyone’s losing much sleep over that
#18 next...
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Lol. He is a minimum deal

He will get more than the minimum, I can virtually assure you. He has the archetype that is coveted in the league right now, he's still quite young, and he's shown flashes. Our coach was an idiot. Just a guess, but I think he will end up getting $5-7MM in the first year. Maybe he gets a similar salary to what Prince was making last year and essentially replaces him in the rotation. Music to my ears, if so. I believe in Max.

He isn't getting 5 million

Friendly wager? If he gets less, I make a $5 donation to the charity of your choice. He gets more, you make a $5 donation in my name to...Jeanie Buss. Hey, it will help with the luxury tax!

Lmao.. I'm down. Bet
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject:

4/25 or something close.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject:

will the lakers have a cap space if lebron take a paycut?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
will the lakers have a cap space if lebron take a paycut?

No. Maybe full MLE depon how much of a pay cut
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2759, 2760, 2761 ... 2861, 2862, 2863  Next
Page 2760 of 2863
Jump to: