JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 211, 212, 213  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:
I don't like this hire at all. You have an inexperienced coach who was only marginally successful in NBA as a player, way too young and someone who hasn't demonstrated that they have the skillset to promote a high-profile team like the lakers to a championship level . Horrible horrible hire. There are much better candidates out there.

Like who?

The guy I wanted, Budenholzer.

I wanted him too but he was gone many weeks ago.

Asleep at the job Rob. Though I will add that I’m not anti-JJ, I hope he does well. I’m just tired of amateur hour.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

We have JJ, it's done. I'm concerned because of his lack of HC experience. Can he communicate, will he listen, is he flexible, can he build a culture, can he command the room, those are a few intangibles I think are important. There are more. Another concern is whether he will do as Ty Lue did, and let LeBron know who the coach and leader of the team is. Also, there is the unproven. It's said he knows the X's and O's. Can translate them into a game plan and will the players execute them? We have what we have, let's see what we have.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject:

Why would Cassell leave? He is an assistant on the Champs. Would he get a better role? Same with Dudley?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Don’t forget that Giannis injured Kyrie in the 2021 semifinals too. Even without Kyrie, Durant was a toe on the line away from ending the series with that buzzer beater.

The narrative around Giannis would be very different if not for that fluke 2021 title. He would be viewed as the biggest choker in the league.

Perfect example of why I don’t value opinions of fans, they make up alternative realities in their minds and then pretend that they are real.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject:

Terrible terrible choice. You already failed with a coach who never had an HC experience. Now you hire someone with no coaching experience at all...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject:

JJ is a student of the game. One of his podcasts with LeBron is “Basketball Evolution”, where he breaks down the new 5 out set and concept that most teams run, and the sets that set the foundation for that evolution. If you don’t want to see the Lakers running 5-out you might be disappointed with JJ.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Scherm wrote:
I like the assistant coaches

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times

they haven't signed on yet

True, you have to wonder why Dudley and Cassell would make a lateral move like that.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject:

We are going to end up with Griffin, the guy the Bucks fired. Lol
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Asleep at the job Rob. Though I will add that I’m not anti-JJ, I hope he does well. I’m just tired of amateur hour.

I'm not convinced Budz would have considered the job. Established coaches haven't exactly been lining up to work for our FO.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not convinced Budz would have considered the job. Established coaches haven't exactly been lining up to work for our FO.

Budz wasn't going to take the job because it was his protege who got fired and who's job he would've been taking. He also apparently lives in PHX full time now which is his hometown.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Scherm wrote:
I like the assistant coaches

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times

they haven't signed on yet

True, you have to wonder why Dudley and Cassell would make a lateral move like that.

Definitely lateral for Cassell. Dudley is like the 12th man version of an assistant at Dallas with murky responsibilities (if any?)so it could be a promotion for him. i have no idea what he brings other than “hey remember the veteran presence from our Finals run?”
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Woike of the LA Times on the Dan Patrick show this morning offered that he’s heard there will be “an increase in infrastructural investment and development.”

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice narrative but unconnected to facts.

1 or 2 veteran coaches may have turned the Lakers down over $$$ or control, but the team has pretty much met with whoever they want, and hired a string of them before pivoting to Luke.

Mike Brown was a hot commodity when the Lakers hired him.
Mike D'Antoni was the reigning offensive genius.
Byron Scott took 2 teams to the Finals.
Vogel was established.

The reality is, if an established coach is available, it's because another team lost confidence in him & ran him out.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice narrative but unconnected to facts.

1 or 2 veteran coaches may have turned the Lakers down over $$$ or control, but the team has pretty much met with whoever they want, and hired a string of them before pivoting to Luke.

Mike Brown was a hot commodity when the Lakers hired him.
Mike D'Antoni was the reigning offensive genius.
Byron Scott took 2 teams to the Finals.
Vogel was established.

The reality is, if an established coach is available, it's because another team lost confidence in him & ran him out.

Glazing.

Only coach the Lakers hired that other teams wanted at the time was Luke.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Dan Woike of the LA Times on the Dan Patrick show this morning offered that he’s heard there will be “an increase in infrastructural investment and development.”

Did they elaborate as to what this means, exactly?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Regarding who or what? The Lakers?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Not really. I took it to mean catching up to the Year 2024. But we’ve heard this before.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Terrible terrible choice. You already failed with a coach who never had an HC experience. Now you hire someone with no coaching experience at all...

Who would you prefer?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject:

TBH I went from
Please no
Lets pray we get hurley
I guess its JJ
Pretty psyched its JJ. primarily for the the unknown. the fact that he could end up being "that guy" is exciting. If not, on to the next.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TDRock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Not really. I took it to mean catching up to the Year 2024. But we’ve heard this before.

To me, infrastructure is assistant coaching, position and skills coaching, scouting and consulting.

Now that the aprons are so punitive, they will save money they were willing to spend on the luxury tax and can add $25M in behind the scenes salaries.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
TDRock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

To me, infrastructure is assistant coaching, position and skills coaching, scouting and consulting.

Now that the aprons are so punitive, they will save money they were willing to spend on the luxury tax and can add $25M in behind the scenes salaries.

Hmm. If so "infrastructure" is an odd way to put it but whatever. A great coaching staff would be great.

Joining 2024 would be great, too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Why would Cassell leave? He is an assistant on the Champs. Would he get a better role? Same with Dudley?

Both probably aspire to be head coaches one day. I think the Laker job would be a great test for Cassell if Jeanie and the Rambis's get out of his way.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Kobesdad
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Kobesdad wrote:
Garbage hiring lol amazing how people are trying to trick themselves that this was a good hiring. JJ is clearly out of his league taking this job. This is the equivalent of having a first-year medical school student do a surgery on a patient.

JJ has played in the league for 15 years and has been an analyst in the media for the last three, a comparison to a first-year med student isn’t even close lol

A first-year student has been studying science and biology since middle school that is like 11 years of studying right there but you still wouldn't want them to operate on a patient. JJ just like that first-year student is grossly unqualified to do the job.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping JJ can maybe at least try to do for the Lakers what Sean McVay did for the Rams. Bring in some seasoned assistants to fill out the staff. Inject somemnew life and a winning culture/attitude and just build up from there.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

- Extension for Pelinka to "align" him with JJ.
- Jesse getting the green light for business cards.
- Kurt is getting a raise!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 211, 212, 213  Next
Page 195 of 213
Jump to: