JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 211, 212, 213  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Wow, wouldn't Klay be so ideal now? JJ, who played the same way, off ball and running around screens would know exactly what to do with Klay.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Smoothness101 wrote:
JJ gonna be the coach for the next decade plus or out in 2 years with LBJ. Boom or bust hire.

Ironic how he really needs a Vogel-type to take care of the defense while basically everyone else handles the O.

Have low expectations of the JJ Redick hire. However, he came from a great basketball system in Duke and was one of their better players to come out of there. He also played 15 years in the NBA and if you play that long, you tend to learn a little bit about the game and what it takes to succeed. So I could see him turning out to be a good coach. Of course that is if they let him coach and not just be Lebron's lackey for the final years of his career.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I like the JJ hire.

It's outside the box.

The Lakers swung and missed badly for Hurley.

JJ isn't a bad consolation prize. I don't care much for Rondo as HC, maybe an asst spot is good.

Borego is okay, Cassell is okay.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Wow, wouldn't Klay be so ideal now? JJ, who played the same way, off ball and running around screens would know exactly what to do with Klay.

He would have 6 years ago. He's 34 years old, and coming off his worst his worst season since Pau Gasol was a Laker. Someone will give him at least MLE money most likely. But I'm not sure he's worth it at this point.

Great players who age, are generally valued higher by their home team than anyone else. But the Warriors benched him. He complained. He wanted more money, and he is probably now going to bail. For them to do that, after as much as they have tolerated the luxury tax over the years, that tells you something.

One paper 17.9 points and 38.7% from three is pretty good, and probably worth the MLE. I just how well he'll be playing by the end of that contract. It would be see him finish his career where his dad did. But his defense isn't what it used to be. He never shot under 40.1% in his entire career until after the comeback, but has been at 38.7% and 38.5% in 2 of the past three seasons. He slashes less and has seen his efficiency drop. He shot under 30% in the clutch last season. And only Wiggins and Saric were worse defensively out of their rotation players. He also had one of the teams lowest net ratings.

Klay seems like damaged goods to me. If he came on a cheap deal, I would be happy to see him end his career here. But I'm expecting his numbers and minutes to plummet outside of Golden State.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

He would have 6 years ago. He's 34 years old, and coming off his worst his worst season since Pau Gasol was a Laker. Someone will give him at least MLE money most likely. But I'm not sure he's worth it at this point.

Great players who age, are generally valued higher by their home team than anyone else. But the Warriors benched him. He complained. He wanted more money, and he is probably now going to bail. For them to do that, after as much as they have tolerated the luxury tax over the years, that tells you something.

One paper 17.9 points and 38.7% from three is pretty good, and probably worth the MLE. I just how well he'll be playing by the end of that contract. It would be see him finish his career where his dad did. But his defense isn't what it used to be. He never shot under 40.1% in his entire career until after the comeback, but has been at 38.7% and 38.5% in 2 of the past three seasons. He slashes less and has seen his efficiency drop. He shot under 30% in the clutch last season. And only Wiggins and Saric were worse defensively out of their rotation players. He also had one of the teams lowest net ratings.

Klay seems like damaged goods to me. If he came on a cheap deal, I would be happy to see him end his career here. But I'm expecting his numbers and minutes to plummet outside of Golden State.

He's completely cooked. The only thing he can do is shoot 3's now, and he's not even elite at that any longer, one could argue. He has no handle whatsoever (never did), doesn't move well now so he's not as much of a threat to run off screens like he did for most of his career, and if he puts it on the floor and/or tries to get in the paint, it's not a pretty sight. And because he doesn't move well now, he's a nothing defender. It sucks but the injuries just robbed him of what he used to be able to do on the court. If he's wide open and someone gets him a good pass into a good spot, yeah, he's a pretty good shooter. That's all he offers now.

I'm hoping that Orlando overpays him. One, because it means we won't get him, and two, because it takes away perhaps the only realistic D'lo suitor.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:38 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

He'll turn 35 this next season. He's cooked.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject:

Klay only for vet min or thank you, next. Warriors have been worse with him back.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject:

yeah, klay -1.01 rpm. even dlo shooting 41.5% from 3 only had a +1.41 rpm
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject:

I understand why people are skeptical about the hire. When you have no experience and are tasked with leading an injury prone superstar and a 40 year old superstar to the Finals, you need to be tough and mentally prepared to adapt. Can Redick adjust when injuries start piling up? The concern about his lack of experience is valid and cannot be ignored. Ultimately, JJ Redick will have the final say. His assistant coaches can offer suggestions, but he will make the final decisions for the team.

It seems like people think this hire is bad because it's like asking a random person off the street to perform heart surgery just because they've played the Operation board game. I understand the skepticism. People who dismiss the experience issue are clearly not being objective.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject:

I never saw Klay as an option. I think Orlando or Warriors are going to overpay him more than the Lakers could offer him anyways.

Sure there is an intrigue of having him as a role player next to Lebron. Like Ray Allen was in Miami. However Klay is so cooked defensively that you have to try to hide him defensively. And the Lakers are probably not going to be a good enough defensive team to hide him.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject:

I'm a little surprised by the 4 yrs, since they've been signaling stability. Lakers can't help themselves but to hedge again. LOL! Lue wanted the 5, Lakers only offered 3. Vogel got 3... Reddick getting an extra year cause he's the future!! LOL!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'm a little surprised by the 4 yrs, since they've been signaling stability. Lakers can't help themselves but to hedge again. LOL! Lue wanted the 5, Lakers only offered 3. Vogel got 3... Reddick getting an extra year cause he's the future!! LOL!

The summer we bungled Lue was the only time we’ve ever offered 3. Ham got 4. Luke got 6.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

For a not-experienced coach, maybe a 2 +2; that way if you have to fire him at the end of one or two seasons, the sting is less; embarrassment aside.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject:

What did Byron get? Whatever it was, I remember the Lakers claiming there was a performance clause that nixed the final years obligation. Maybe JJ has one of those.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject:

Watching this Austin reaves interview and I’m interested in seeing what offense he brings to this team.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
What did Byron get? Whatever it was, I remember the Lakers claiming there was a performance clause that nixed the final years obligation. Maybe JJ has one of those.

Byron got 4 years but there was a team option in Year 4. Those were also different circumstances. He was hired specifically to play out the KFT. I don’t think either party expected him to coach beyond that.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:42 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

For a not-experienced coach, maybe a 2 +2; that way if you have to fire him at the end of one or two seasons, the sting is less; embarrassment aside.

I always thought that with a 1st time coach they should do an "overpay" but have it 2+2. That way after the Darvin Ham period you can walk away or if they're a good coach you have them on contract for another 2 at a fair price.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Byron got 4 years but there was a team option in Year 4. Those were also different circumstances. He was hired specifically to play out the KFT. I don’t think either party expected him to coach beyond that.

One thing is clear the Lakers are always willing to burn money on a fired coach.

Since Phil:

They paid Mike Brown and D'Antoni at the same time (2 years)
They paid Byron Scott and Luke Walton at the same time (1 year)
They paid Luke Walton and Frank Vogel at the same time (1 year)
They paid Frank Vogel and Darvin Ham at the same time (1 year)
They will pay Darvin Ham and JJ Redick at the same time (2 years)

So even though Redick got 4 years, it's not even close to a guaranteed longterm haul like Hurley would have. I see little longterm investment in this. Times have changed. Coaches have more power in salary negotiation since Monty got that ridiculous deal in Detroit.

8M does seem way overpaid for a first time coach, but they have very few other choices (due to their own). Lets hope JJ is good enough. The deal does not show me that they won't remove him in 2 years if he's not good enough. However if it's true about the 8M figure, it's more in the range of someone like Mike Brown, who is a more accomplished head coach with the Kings at the moment. Seems overpaying, but not my money.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
I like the assistant coaches

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times

they haven't signed on yet
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject:

In the same way that firing the coach is the easiest scapegoat in a player ran league, it's also the easiest to replace. To add a "star" it takes expirings or room, three 1sts and the gamble that they're worth it by their 3rd or 4th season still. All that while working within the CBA. That's why you'll see more teams like Milwaukee paying multiple coaches or huge sums like in Detroit if need be. It sells the fans and players on trying to improve the team, even if you overpaid the coach.
Kobesdad
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject:

Garbage hiring lol amazing how people are trying to trick themselves that this was a good hiring. JJ is clearly out of his league taking this job. This is the equivalent of having a first-year medical school student do a surgery on a patient.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject:

Kobesdad wrote:
Garbage hiring lol amazing how people are trying to trick themselves that this was a good hiring. JJ is clearly out of his league taking this job. This is the equivalent of having a first-year medical school student do a surgery on a patient.

JJ has played in the league for 15 years and has been an analyst in the media for the last three, a comparison to a first-year med student isn’t even close lol
#18 next...
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Scherm wrote:

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times

If that is indeed his coaching staff, I really don't know how folks here can cry about it. That's a ton of experience and former players/NBA champs/leaders that will demand the locker room.

I might be in the minority but that staff is amazing! Can they pry Dudley and Cassell away from their already great jobs????
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject:

Woike

Quote:
The Lakers love Redick’s potential, the way he sees and speaks the game while not being burdened with habits built coaching in a league that doesn’t exist anymore. He’s pointed to his adaptability before in interviews when discussing his potential interest in a move to the sidelines.

They believe Redick can not only be a coach who can learn quickly now, but one forward-thinking enough to help them as an organization as they lean more into internal development and the technologies and strategies that can aid in that.

These are things they wanted from Hurley, traits that they liked in Hurley. And the Lakers say they like them in Redick, too.

Now, the organization will look to bolster the coaching talent and experience around him. Sources with knowledge of the team’s plans say the hope is to hire at least two coaches with head coaching experience on the front row of Redick’s bench.

oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject:

if even 2 of the 4 sign on, JJ might be okay.

my choices being rondo and brooks. scott knows what he's doing and has the HC experience to back it up. NO ONE and mean NO ONE would dare F with Rondo in the locker room.

Rajon has big plans for himself. no one is going to derail his destiny to be an HC.

anth2000 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Scherm wrote:

If that is indeed his coaching staff, I really don't know how folks here can cry about it. That's a ton of experience and former players/NBA champs/leaders that will demand the locker room.

I might be in the minority but that staff is amazing! Can they pry Dudley and Cassell away from their already great jobs????
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 211, 212, 213  Next
Page 194 of 213
Jump to: