JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
Can't find the link but ESPN is reporting Lebron's camp is saying they were not consulted

on hiring JJ.

Rich Paul article from yesterday. Didn't say it in a bad way.

Is anyone believing that?

I find it hard to believe the Lakers did not consult with James on his thoughts on Redick.

There would be no other reason to consider him. What other team was interested? Was he even considered a legitimate HC selection by anyone in the league before the Lakers made him the top candidate?

Or perhaps they asked the one guy that knows him and does a podcast with him. Just own it. He wants his buddy to be HC. Just stop being coy and avoiding responsibility.

Not thrilled but was not seeing too many options after the long shot with Hurley. Oh well. It’s done. I wish Redick luck. I hope I’ll be thrilled if he becomes a good HC and we look back in a decade at this as a genius hire.
Only time will tell.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:
I don't like this hire at all. You have an inexperienced coach who was only marginally successful in NBA as a player, way too young and someone who hasn't demonstrated that they have the skillset to promote a high-profile team like the lakers to a championship level . Horrible horrible hire. There are much better candidates out there.

Like who?

The guy I wanted, Budenholzer.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
AD is cool with JJ. People should stop spreading lies to divide LeKlutch. Let's just forget unfounded rumors and focus on winning championship #18!!

This team is nowhere near championship level and it's doubtful they will be anytime soon.

again, don't be a Debbie downer. Trades are just starting to happen. We haven't hit the NBA draft or free agency. Patience.

There are no trades we can make that are going to elevate us over the WC's best. If you're okay with mediocrity, then go cheer for a Minnesota sports team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:
Everybody loved the Luke hire - failed
Most called the higher of Vogel, a failure - title
General consensus was Ham was Him and our guy for the foreseeable future - failed
Nobody seems to like this JJ hire - TBD

Hope we continue to be wrong

I remember going against the tide regarding the Luke hire. Everyone was enamored with his record at GS, but he was just the housesitter in the house that Kerr built. Kerr was even calling in everyday during their practices and I didn't see anything from Luke in-game that stood out to me. I do remember feeling like I was the exception though, so I didn't feel the need to keep repeating it.

As far as JJ goes, I'm neutral. He seems to be a better communicator than Luke. I don't know, could go either way.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I hope he does great and I'm higher on him than most here, it seems.

I think the no experience thing is super over blown. Having experience as an assistant coach doesn't mean much, as we've seen with numerous assistant coaches turned head coaches that didn't pan out. JJ has been around high level basketball his entire life, was under coach K for four years, and seems to have a very highly regarded mind for the game. That is experience. I don't really get what massive difference there is in being a player vs being an assistant coach. Being around coaching staffs, being the one coached, is also experience that will help in being a head coach.

He has coach K vouching for him and LeBron obviously respects his bball IQ - that's arguably the best coach and the best player of all time vouching for him.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe JJ Reddick story:

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
AD is cool with JJ. People should stop spreading lies to divide LeKlutch. Let's just forget unfounded rumors and focus on winning championship #18!!

This team is nowhere near championship level and it's doubtful they will be anytime soon.

again, don't be a Debbie downer. Trades are just starting to happen. We haven't hit the NBA draft or free agency. Patience.

There are no trades we can make that are going to elevate us over the WC's best. If you're okay with mediocrity, then go cheer for a Minnesota sports team.

If you say the front office isn’t capable that’s one thing, but to say there are no trades that could be made is just…WTF are you saying man?

We didn’t see the Westbrook trade for Dlo/Vando that put the Lakers back into contention from 13th in the standing. Going back in history no one saw the Pau Gasol trade before it happened. A trade could be made, that’s not a question, the question is will it?

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
jb2 wrote:
General consensus was Ham was Him and our guy for the foreseeable future - failed

I remember going against the tide regarding the Luke hire. Everyone was enamored with his record at GS, but he was just the housesitter in the house that Kerr built. Kerr was even calling in everyday during their practices and I didn't see anything from Luke in-game that stood out to me. I do remember feeling like I was the exception though, so I didn't feel the need to keep repeating it.

As far as JJ goes, I'm neutral. He seems to be a better communicator than Luke. I don't know, could go either way.

I wasn’t sold on Luke. Total bro, good and bad. Interacted with him at an old job. Questioned the hire on this forum and folks piled on with accusations and talks of sauces. Love LG. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Feel the same way about JJ as I did 45 when elected. Wasn’t my guy but I’m rooting for him to succeed. Can tell you though just from the pod JJ has a much higher bb iq than luke. For whatever that’s worth.

Jeanie’s gotta sell the team though. Let’s be real. It’s over.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject:

The praise I have seen about JJ is similar to what Luke Walton received back then. In fact, Walton had a better resume as he had experience working with highly respected NBA coaches and players. Some people are very optimistic but I think there are more reasons to be pessimistic, at least for this coming season.

I just hope we are patient enough to let JJ finish his 4 years here before concluding whether he is a good or bad coach.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
jb2 wrote:

Other than the fact that I used the word 'higher' instead of hire, that's where ' at. I'm not upset nor am I overly excited. JJ is going to very much be a TBD thing. High risk, high reward. Best case, he's a stud coach. Worst case, he exits when LeBron does and we just sum it up to a new era without Bron.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:
I don't like this hire at all. You have an inexperienced coach who was only marginally successful in NBA as a player, way too young and someone who hasn't demonstrated that they have the skillset to promote a high-profile team like the lakers to a championship level . Horrible horrible hire. There are much better candidates out there.

Like who?

I wanted him too but he was gone many weeks ago.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

And with how quickly the Suns locked him up after the Vogel firing, his agent was probably in contact with the Suns well before the Vogel firing.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Scott Brooks, Terry Stotts. Monty Williams…ya know…people that actually have coached before. JJ as an assistant would have been the move to take advantage of his ingenuity without risking the inexperience.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject:

QuadDouble wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
jb2 wrote:

I wasn’t sold on Luke. Total bro, good and bad. Interacted with him at an old job. Questioned the hire on this forum and folks piled on with accusations and talks of sauces. Love LG. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Feel the same way about JJ as I did 45 when elected. Wasn’t my guy but I’m rooting for him to succeed. Can tell you though just from the pod JJ has a much higher bb iq than luke. For whatever that’s worth.

Yeah, pretty much where I stand on all points (except 45 was my guy )

Luke always seemed like a beach bro, belonging on a volleyball court or a surf board more than the sideline.

I feel like communication has been lacking in the last several coaches and JJ has been doing that for a living. That's an underrated aspect of coaching if you want to get the most out of your players. Knowing when to be soft handed or heavy handed, when to push buttons and when to ease off, etc. I don't mind that JJ is arrogant and has an ego. You need that in a HC.

Been saying for a while now the Buss kids need to go. But why would they? They were born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple. If they sell, they'll have to go back to the plate where they'll strike out over and over. They've never had to build anything of their own. Safer to stay on 3rd.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Scott Brooks, Terry Stotts. Monty Williams…ya know…people that actually have coached before. JJ as an assistant would have been the move to take advantage of his ingenuity without risking the inexperience.

Rolling the dice on an unproven like JJ is better than those guys. Bud was the only one worth it.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Rolling the dice on an unproven like JJ is better than those guys. Bud was the only one worth it.

Maybe, still, JJ needed at least some assistant experience before taking on a HC job for a team not young and rebuilding to remove some of the risk. As an assistant to one of those guys it seems like a better, less risky play while maintaining some of the potential reward.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
QuadDouble wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
jb2 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much where I stand on all points (except 45 was my guy )

Luke always seemed like a beach bro, belonging on a volleyball court or a surf board more than the sideline.

I feel like communication has been lacking in the last several coaches and JJ has been doing that for a living. That's an underrated aspect of coaching if you want to get the most out of your players. Knowing when to be soft handed or heavy handed, when to push buttons and when to ease off, etc. I don't mind that JJ is arrogant and has an ego. You need that in a HC.

Been saying for a while now the Buss kids need to go. But why would they? They were born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple. If they sell, they'll have to go back to the plate where they'll strike out over and over. They've never had to build anything of their own. Safer to stay on 3rd.

It feels like we’re watching the last season of succession over a 10+ year stretch. Yes. When the team is gone, that’s it- they’ll be rich, but they won’t be relevant.

Great points on comms with JJ. Maybe that plus high bb iq is the ticket. He’s got ideas and can communicate them. Can’t be worse than ham.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Shams.

Quote:
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the meeting described Redick as “impressive” during his visit to Los Angeles, diving deep into his offensive and defensive philosophies and displaying his passion for the sport that foreshadowed a willingness to submit himself to the countless working hours for the modern head coach.

He explained his decision-making process when it comes to strategy, how the analysis and empirical evidence would always guide his choices rather than preconceived notions or outdated beliefs. Redick described a system molded around this roster, focusing on elevating Anthony Davis’ involvement, particularly late in games, and alleviating the constant ballhandling duties on James by utilizing him more off the ball. Keeping James, who turns 40 in December, fresh down the stretch of the regular season and into the playoffs will be critical.

Plenty of nice sounding platitudes here but it could definitely go right
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

His regular season record is certainly good, and he's won a title. Just like Vogel (and actually, Bud's record is better). However, all I'm willing to give him is that he's a competent coach, but I don't think he's a difference-making coach. I think that few are, at this point. If you ask Bucks fans about his tenure, he's terrible at calling timeouts (hello, Darvin!), has questionable rotations and patterns, and is slow to make adjustments during playoff series. He's probably good enough to not screw up a situation where there's a great team, but I question how much he's actually helping you win.

And as someone else noted, it seems like he had been talking to Phoenix and that was wrapped up really quickly. And I'll add that he was never taking the Laker job after we fired his protege. Zero chance of that happening.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

His regular season record is certainly good, and he's won a title. Just like Vogel (and actually, Bud's record is better). However, all I'm willing to give him is that he's a competent coach, but I don't think he's a difference-making coach. I think that few are, at this point. If you ask Bucks fans about his tenure, he's terrible at calling timeouts (hello, Darvin!), has questionable rotations and patterns, and is slow to make adjustments during playoff series. He's probably good enough to not screw up a situation where there's a great team, but I question how much he's actually helping you win.

And as someone else noted, it seems like he had been talking to Phoenix and that was wrapped up really quickly. And I'll add that he was never taking the Laker job after we fired his protege. Zero chance of that happening.

Wasn't Bud really good in Atlanta also?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Has won in the regular season, absolutely. But his ATL teams did fall short of playoff expectations. Heck, other than the one Bucks title run, his Bucks teams did, too. And even with a severely shorthanded Nets team in the East playoffs in the year that they did win the title, they were literally a KD toe-on-the-line from losing that series as well.
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject:

JJ gonna be the coach for the next decade plus or out in 2 years with LBJ. Boom or bust hire.

Ironic how he really needs a Vogel-type to take care of the defense while basically everyone else handles the O.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Has won in the regular season, absolutely. But his ATL teams did fall short of playoff expectations. Heck, other than the one Bucks title run, his Bucks teams did, too. And even with a severely shorthanded Nets team in the East playoffs in the year that they did win the title, they were literally a KD toe-on-the-line from losing that series as well.

True. Decent coach
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, I mean, given the candidates in this cycle, I'm certainly fine with an argument that he was the best. However, I don't think he has much upside; as I said, I think he's just a guy that can steer the ship on a great team and hopefully he just doesn't screw it up. But yeah, ask Bucks fans about him and even Hawks fans, and I guarantee you that they will have negative things to say about him, certainly during the playoffs.

And he definitely was not coming here on the heels of us firing Ham.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Don’t forget that Giannis injured Kyrie in the 2021 semifinals too. Even without Kyrie, Durant was a toe on the line away from ending the series with that buzzer beater.

The narrative around Giannis would be very different if not for that fluke 2021 title. He would be viewed as the biggest choker in the league.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 193 of 212
Jump to: