JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Sounds promising... But we heard all this offseason talks before only to be completely ignored once the season started.

https://x.com/LADEig/status/1803880584068108691

Nothing new there, what else he’s gonna say? Coaches have been saying for years to lighten the ball handling role of Lebron, but the problem is, Lebron wants the ball in his hand, how can you say no if he’s calling for the ball?

AD has to man up and just tell Lebron back off. In pressure situations, Lebron will revert back to his instincts. It’s up to AD to take the reigns from him…he has to be that guy going forward.

Hell, even Reaves has taken the reigns during key moments…AD should be demanding everyone follow him.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Absolutely horrid hiring! Jeanie Buss is a disgrace.

For those asking "who else would you rather have?" Uh...how about someone with more coaching experience than just coaching a youth team?

The dude literally has no qualifications to be the head coach of the L.A. Lakers and he'll be gone within 2 years.

Ok, Debbie downer we get it, you hate the hire.
I love it. He's going to be solid. Ham was terrible so he's a huge upgrade, no doubt. High basketball IQ also. He will hire amazing assistant coaches and it will work out.....

Keep in mind, some head coaches become head coaches without experience. It happens.

How can you possibly say he's a huge upgrade? You have no basis in which you can legitimately make that kind of a statement at this point. Just because one has a high basketball IQ, that means zilch.

Because Ham wasn't good at all. Never prepared his teams for battle, never could make in-game adjustments, would never call timeouts when opponents were going on runs. Stupid lineups all the time....standing there with his hands in his pockets.

You are obviously negative....so, what would be your ideal hire? He is, without a doubt, the best choice out there for sure....
Also, why don't you give the guy a chance?
Why don't you be patient and see what staff he puts together before the season even starts?
Why call the season over?
I think we will all be very pleasantly surprised.
He is the best choice available so I am going to see how it all shapes up....
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Sounds promising... But we heard all this offseason talks before only to be completely ignored once the season started.

Nothing new there, what else he’s gonna say? Coaches have been saying for years to lighten the ball handling role of Lebron, but the problem is, Lebron wants the ball in his hand, how can you say no if he’s calling for the ball?

AD has to man up and just tell Lebron back off. In pressure situations, Lebron will revert back to his instincts. It’s up to AD to take the reigns from him…he has to be that guy going forward.

Hell, even Reaves has taken the reigns during key moments…AD should be demanding everyone follow him.

Ad does not want the pressure of being the guy. That’s why we need a #1 to move this thing forward
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Ad does not want the pressure of being the guy. That’s why we need a #1 to move this thing forward

Exactly. If AD is that guy he wolves done so couple years ago. It’s not in his DNA, he’s perfectly fine of being option B. Maybe that’s why Lebron chose AD 5 years ago as his last running mate before retiring. Lebron does not want to be someone’s robin as he gets older.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject:

In 2020 I felt like they forced the ball in to AD too much. It led to slow starts where we had to come back late. And we actually did manage to come back late as AD wore down the defense. At the time I thought we forced it to him too much but now I realize it was the better offense overall because of the ancillary benefits.

Vogels first 2 years saw AD with a usage rate of 29.1%. Last season he was down to 26.6%. I’d like to see him get back towards that 30% number and stay patient with slow starts and see if it pays dividends in the win column.

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Exactly. If AD is that guy he wolves done so couple years ago. It’s not in his DNA, he’s perfectly fine of being option B. Maybe that’s why Lebron chose AD 5 years ago as his last running mate before retiring. Lebron does not want to be someone’s robin as he gets older.
he’s great early and as a front runner. But as we have seen in do or die series late in games he’s gonzo
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't like this hire at all. You have an inexperienced coach who was only marginally successful in NBA as a player, way too young and someone who hasn't demonstrated that they have the skillset to promote a high-profile team like the lakers to a championship level . Horrible horrible hire. There are much better candidates out there.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Not remotely excited about this hire for the roster we have but once again it's not like there were amazing options out there anyways just like last time.. I def. don't blame the Lakers not giving Hurley $100 million or anything insane like that since he was far from a sure thing as well imo even though I obviously would have preferred that route to this trash. Just flat out not a fan of JJ but I can promise that if he doesn't work out it sure as hell will NOT be his fault and he'll be making sure everyone knows it.. Queue that drama up for a Year or maybe two max down the road.

I guess i'll just hope he fills his staff with great fits like Vogel did. People saying he's automatically a huge upgrade are just being the polar opposite of a Debbie Downer and being overly enthusiastic but this hire is completely an unknown. Like us trading for Russ, I absolutely hated it but hoped for the best. This obviously isn't that bad but I get the same feeling overall.

Last edited by hype on Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Magic is pumped!

Quote:
I’m cautiously optimistic that this new hire is a success for both the Lakers and JJ Reddick. I enjoyed watching him as a player - great 3-point shooting, high basketball IQ, passion for the game, and mental and physical toughness. If he can bring how he played professionally to the Lakers - this could work out! But will his transition from star basketball player to head coach end up like Steve Kerr, Jason Kidd, Ty Lue, or Doc Rivers or the former NBA players turned coaches who weren’t successful?

I remember thinking to myself this could be heaven or this could be hell...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
I don't like this hire at all. You have an inexperienced coach who was only marginally successful in NBA as a player, way too young and someone who hasn't demonstrated that they have the skillset to promote a high-profile team like the lakers to a championship level . Horrible horrible hire. There are much better candidates out there.

Who is a better candidate that would want to coach a toxic team ?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Only way to find out is let him coach. Stop prejudging. Magic and MJ didn't transition well into executive roles so it's very idiotic to correlate JJ as an NBA player to JJ as an NBA headcoach.

None of you could have seen how Lue and Kerr would turn out as NBA headcoaches so I'm positive none of you has the slightest clues as to how JJ would turn out.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how boston fans felt when Joe Mazzulla was hired.

I know Ima Udoka had to be fired but especially having Mazzulla take over after him had to have their fans worried.

Hopefully we have even more success with JJ.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Can't find the link but ESPN is reporting Lebron's camp is saying they were not consulted on hiring JJ.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Like who?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
troy wrote:

How is the team toxic?
Where does toxic fit in?
No or. Has never referred to Lebron, Davis, Reaves, Rui and Russell as toxic.
Huh?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
troy wrote:

Like who?

Exactly. There was not a single slam-dunk hire this cycle, not one. Not Budenholzer, not Hurley, not any of the assistant coaches, and certainly not Monty Williams. It's a wild card hire.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
troy wrote:

How is the team toxic?
Where does toxic fit in?
Huh?

Team is from toxic... No off the court drama between them. From what I've seen, they seem to like to be around one another.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Can't find the link but ESPN is reporting Lebron's camp is saying they were not consulted

on hiring JJ.

Rich Paul article from yesterday. Didn't say it in a bad way.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I believe Lebron wants someone else to be the guy, BUT that player has to take it from him. Lebrons not gonna just do less, someone has to confront him and say “I got this…step aside”

Halftime is right, AD unfortunately doesn’t seem like that guy…it looked like in 2020 he was headed that way, but it’s not his personality.

I think the front office knows this version of the team has run its course, they’re just gonna run this to the very end, which gives JJ some practice going into the next era after Lebron/AD are gone.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
troy wrote:

How is the team toxic?
Where does toxic fit in?
Huh?

Team is from toxic... No off the court drama between them. From what I've seen, they seem to like to be around one another.

The MEDIA and outside noise concerning the Lakers is toxic. But the players themselves haven’t shown any dysfunction between them. Front office seems to be on the same page (for the most part) with the players.

If you just watch our team play, and listen to the players talk about eachother in interviews…you wouldn’t be able to guess there’s any internal struggles.

Its the reporting surrounding us that is creating the narrative whenever something happens or is said.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject:

In all my years as a Laker fan going back to the 80's, I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd fall this far from grace. JJ Rhetoric is a condescending dirtbag who was on audio using a disparaging word for Chinese people and called the late, great Jerry West a plumber. He has no respect for the history of the game and is so stupid he doesn't believe Larry Bird is a top 5 all-time shooter. His only qualification for this job is he's lebrons lackey. With each passing season I watch fewer and fewer games and this season will be no different. I wasn't going to divulge this or even write this post, as I rarely come to LG anymore because of the severe demographic shift, but screw it. I have a close friend with ties to the org. The reason it took so long to make the announcement is because they've interviewed 3 people for assistants and they all said no. Nobody wants to work with this arrogant jerk. I'll give it 3 months into the season tops and all the real "Laker" fans will turn on him just like the last 4 coaches we had....or 5, heck I can't even keep up with it anymore. Every year we have a new team and a new coach. Shameful!!!!
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I find it hilarious how salty some of these reactions are. Guy hasn’t even coached a single game, yet they’re already bringing out their pitchforks literally minutes after the announcement was made.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
I find it hilarious how salty some of these reactions are. Guy hasn’t even coached a single game, yet they’re already bringing out their pitchforks literally minutes after the announcement was made.

This fanbase is the most toxic one by far. I mean JJ could be a bust…but how about we cross that bridge when we come to it? Let’s just see how it all unfolds before making definitive judgments…

Last edited by Brawn13 on Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
In all my years as a Laker fan going back to the 80's, I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd fall this far from grace. JJ Rhetoric is a condescending dirtbag who was on audio using a disparaging word for Chinese people and called the late, great Jerry West a plumber. He has no respect for the history of the game and is so stupid he doesn't believe Larry Bird is a top 5 all-time shooter. His only qualification for this job is he's lebrons lackey. With each passing season I watch fewer and fewer games and this season will be no different. I wasn't going to divulge this or even write this post, as I rarely come to LG anymore because of the severe demographic shift, but screw it. I have a close friend with ties to the org. The reason it took so long to make the announcement is because they've interviewed 3 people for assistants and they all said no. Nobody wants to work with this arrogant jerk. I'll give it 3 months into the season tops and all the real "Laker" fans will turn on him just like the last 4 coaches we had....or 5, heck I can't even keep up with it anymore. Every year we have a new team and a new coach. Shameful!!!!

Agree. We'll find out 3 months into the season if he's a con man or a half-decent coach.

I am indifferent much in the same way many old school fans are but I will get out the popcorn if or when things go south. JJ will be under fire by the LA media like no other.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:

Why would anyone be suspect of this hire?

Post Phil Coaches.....

Mike Brown
Bernie Bickerstaff
Mike D'Antoni
Byron Scott
Luke Walton
Frank Vogel
Darvin Ham
JJ Reddick

Hell of a group he's following and I have a feeling he'll fit right in there soon enough. Still rooting for him to shut me tf up but I couldn't have more doubts personally, at this point I just hope the rest of the Coaching staff is on point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 192 of 212
Jump to: