JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LOL for the people here that think the Lakers are doomed now, they are a clown show, sh**t show, etc.

They just hired a coach. Why is that the end of the world?

From some of you, it seems like you were expecting Spoelstra or Popovich or Kerr or Riley or Phil Jackson to walk thru that door.

I think Redick will be a good coach. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He needs a solid staff. If he gets that, he will be fine. Ham was useless. Standing there during games with his hands in his pockets, never calling timeouts, never making in game adjustments, never having the team ready to play different opponents on each given night. Redick HAS to be better than Ham was just by having brains.....Ham was not a good coach...period.
So, stop the whining and let this play out......

It’s good to be optimistic that someone will do something if they have done it before, or at least have tried it and failed so maybe they learned from the attempt. Even if they had worked under someone as a mentor that did it would help with hope. But to be optimistic for a 1st timer that has done none of that seems questionable. More questionable than those that question it.

JJ may turn out great…none of us know for sure it’s all speculation…but since he has never coached before it is a valid concern. Let’s hope you’re right and it’s not just blind homerism. There have been some good 1st year coaches but even those had assistant coaching experience. It could turn out either way but anyone should be able to recognize why it looks to some like it is a long shot Hail Mary type move.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Be nice if we could steal Alex Jensen back from Dallas. From what i read, He was a secret weapon on our 200 staff and Dallas apparently insisted Kidd take him with him.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject:

We can only guess at how it will go.

If I have to venture a guess it would be that he will at least be better than Ham. Which I don't think is much of a feat.

My feeling is that he understands the game well and studies it. So he has that going for him.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I mean it soulds like the also got cassell, duds and rondo in addition to brooks...cassell just coming off chip with boston, rondo, is well rondo, duds and his relationship management and brooks with head coacing experience....it's a good staff to surround a new coach
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
lakid wrote:

This is just a sad sad day in lakers history. How low Jeannie has allowed us to sink by bending over to a mercenary like Lebron is an absolute disgrace

Some of you guys don't see that this is a clear upgrade over Pockets. It does improve us.
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LOL for the people here that think the Lakers are doomed now, they are a clown show, sh**t show, etc.

They just hired a coach. Why is that the end of the world?

From some of you, it seems like you were expecting Spoelstra or Popovich or Kerr or Riley or Phil Jackson to walk thru that door.

I think Redick will be a good coach. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He needs a solid staff. If he gets that, he will be fine. Ham was useless. Standing there during games with his hands in his pockets, never calling timeouts, never making in game adjustments, never having the team ready to play different opponents on each given night. Redick HAS to be better than Ham was just by having brains.....Ham was not a good coach...period.
So, stop the whining and let this play out......

Agree wit this. Ham never won us a game, but he definitely lost us games with his ineptitude, lack of adjustments, etc. It will be a breath of fresh air to have a tactician at the helm. Out with the inspirational quotes, in with a coach who will add something of substance to help the team win games.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject:

We better draft Zach Edey is all I can say. (Or Ware)
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:
lakid wrote:

This is just a sad sad day in lakers history. How low Jeannie has allowed us to sink by bending over to a mercenary like Lebron is an absolute disgrace

Some of you guys don't see that this is a clear upgrade over Pockets. It does improve us.

Even if it’s not there is at least a little hope. Eventually we will find our next guy. Maybe it’s jj
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

A head coach is important for team success, but not as important as the roster.

I think the main reason I am not as upset as some other people about this hire is because my expectations are not for a title anymore. Our roster simply isn't good enough.

We are on the downside of the title window that was open once we acquired LeBron and AD. I think realistically the title window was 2020-2022 and we got one of those, which is pretty damn good.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject:

We have no idea how this is going to go..

The only concern RIGHT NOW, I guess, is that he didn’t have Davis as one of the top 10 defensive players in the league. Not sure how that’s even possible.

I’m assuming someone is going to ask him about that so we’ll see what his response will be.

He’s still an upgrade over Ham, who was one of the worst Lakers coaches I’ve seen, if not the worst.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Anyone just see the news break regarding Philly’s FA plans? They don’t want Paul George anymore cause they have assurance from another FA, could that be LeBron James? Were the Lakers working closer with AD then LeBron in this coaching search?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
A head coach is important for team success, but not as important as the roster.

I think the main reason I am not as upset as some other people about this hire is because my expectations are not for a title anymore. Our roster simply isn't good enough.

We are on the downside of the title window that was open once we acquired LeBron and AD. I think realistically the title window was 2020-2022 and we got one of those, which is pretty damn good.

I cringe at these type of opinions because I think the Lakers front office agrees with you. It’s speculation by all of us and either could be right or wrong. I just see it differently.

Doesn’t it seem like had the Lakers kept Schroeder and if Vando/Wood hadn’t been injured that the Lakers could have had a chance? Perhaps even using the draft picks to upgrade even more at the deadline could have made the Lakers chances higher. Those things were in the realm of realistic possibilities such that a championship window being open is still conceivable. Well, to me at least, but apparently not to you or the front office seeing as no moves were made at the deadline. The way I see it, Y’all quit on the team and the rest of the fans when there appeared to still be a chance that the window was still open. Shame.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I like smart guys.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully he is a pleasant surprise. Can't be any worse than Ham.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Anyone just see the news break regarding Philly’s FA plans? They don’t want Paul George anymore cause they have assurance from another FA, could that be LeBron James? Were the Lakers working closer with AD then LeBron in this coaching search?

I have thought for a while Lebron is going to sign with Philly to play with Embid.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Or what?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject:

4 years. what's the money, $100m? lol
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Kendrick Perkins is talking (bleep). Where would they post the clips?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have thought for a while Lebron is going to sign with Philly to play with Embid.

This would be a disaster obv but still the funniest possible outcome.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I like the assistant coaches

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:

Assistant coaching candidates for JJ Redick’s staff will include former head coach and recent Trail Blazers assistant Scott Brooks, former Lakers guard Rajon Rondo, ex-Laker and current Dallas Mavericks assistant Jared Dudley and Cassell, according to league sources. 1 hour ago – via New York Times

Why hasn’t Brooks been able to get another head coaching job? He was a prominent coach with the OKC Big Three.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Or what?

Edey is just a huge dude. He's not necessarily any good. Not sure why people are hyped on him. Sure, he's a giant, but his shot and hook shot especially is ugly as hell.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:

Yeah Brooks has done wonders with the Blazers. Can’t wait to see what he brings.

/s
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Would Bron really leave?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Would Bron really leave?

If he is about Winning, yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 189 of 212
Jump to: