THE INEPTITUDE OF JEANIE STRIKES AGAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Interesting article about the Buss Family Trust and the power play that took place after Jeanie fired Jim.

Yahoo Sports
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject:

its not all bad. jeanie did more than every other team besides the Celtics.
https://x.com/BronGotGame/status/1802901589222379682
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Interesting article about the Buss Family Trust and the power play that took place after Jeanie fired Jim.

Yahoo Sports

If Jim succeeded the busses would have sold. Pity...
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I still can't reconcile celebrating the IST with champagne and confetti like it's the real thing. Kobe set a high standard for this organization. Lebron (bleeped) all over it. The IST trophy/banner is the most useless vanity item in any sport. More indication that Silver is a joke and did it to boost the terrible ratings.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yahoo Sports

That’s what Jeanie said his motivation was, but that might’ve been a legal play. I don’t recall if Jim Buss refuted that claim in the documentary.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yahoo Sports

Yup, we miss Jimbo.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject:

I just don’t think Jeannie Buss has the smart and ambition to battle with Jimmy for control of the team. She had to have someone like Phil Jackson showed her the way behind the scene.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yahoo Sports

Yup, we miss Jimbo.

Nah we don't
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I think a lot of it is a trust and feelings thing. Not to be sexist, but women typically operate heavily off of those emotional feelings. Jeanie has stated she wants people around she can trust.

it really has nothing to do with the fact she is a women, even if Dr Buss is still alive today, he would struggle as well, but the smart business men he was would probably sold the team and take the windfall.

I believe Dr Buss would have adapted and started hiring the best minds.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I think a lot of it is a trust and feelings thing. Not to be sexist, but women typically operate heavily off of those emotional feelings. Jeanie has stated she wants people around she can trust.

it really has nothing to do with the fact she is a women, even if Dr Buss is still alive today, he would struggle as well, but the smart business men he was would probably sold the team and take the windfall.

Dr. Buss would have sold more of the team interest and kept 51% and worked out some sort of operational control w/AEG (or Guggenheim) to use their balance sheet.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yahoo Sports

ikr? wow...what a turn of event. Imagine if the Lakers had a different owner the past 10 years, the Lakers couldn't possibly be worse than they are rn.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I just don’t think Jeannie Buss has the smart and ambition to battle with Jimmy for control of the team. She had to have someone like Phil Jackson showed her the way behind the scene.

They both hired great lawyers. The trust was simply in her favor. Siblings fighting over the trust agreement is almost a guarantee on trusts this large. Trust attorneys write them in a way that makes it nearly impossible for the beneficiaries to challenge them without forfeiting their interest.

Quote:
Jim, Johnny and Jeanie were the three trustees of the trust. The brothers had planned to hold a meeting to elect a new board of directors for the Lakers that didn’t include Jeanie. Not being a director would have meant Jeanie can’t be the controlling owner of the Lakers, which would have violated the trust’s mandate that all trustees “take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure the appointment of [Jeanie] as controlling owner.” That led Jeanie to file a temporary restraining order against her brothers to prevent them from holding that meeting.

Quote:
The ill-fated takeover attempt cost Jim Buss his spot as a co-trustee for the four trusts through which the Buss family own 66% of the team.

According to a person familiar with the situation, Jim Buss resigned as co-trustee Thursday as part of a requirement by Jeanie Buss to resolve the dispute. Her younger sister and staunch ally, Janie, replaced the brother, joining Jeanie and Johnny Buss as co-trustees.

The person said there was no financial settlement with Jim Buss.

If he had not consented to the arrangement, attorneys for Jeanie Buss were prepared to ask the court to remove him as co-trustee. The agreement means the probate court trial scheduled for May 15 to resolve the matter won’t happen.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject:

The liars...I mean lawyers are best at giving litigation advice. They only make money if theres disputes and contests so they probably gave Jeanie the advice that best benifits their own bottom line.

But yea, Jeanie doesn't seem like someone smart and calculated enough to oust her bro based on what I've seen from her as Lakers governor the past 12 years.

Jeanie actually seems like a nice, loving and caring girl. She'd make a good housewife but not as owner as the most prestigious franchise in the NBA.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Dr Buss is not a billionaire, and by adapting, it means he would have to spend which is unlikely. he wasn't a big fan of the luxury tax and the luxury tax in his era were pennies compare to today.
the only way for buss family to generate enough income was to build their own arena and take advantage of the Los Angeles Market, but it was considered a risk for them and they passed.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
The liars...I mean lawyers are best at giving litigation advice. They only make money if theres disputes and contests so they probably gave Jeanie the advice that best benifits their own bottom line.

But yea, Jeanie doesn't seem like someone smart and calculated enough to oust her bro based on what I've seen from her as Lakers governor the past 12 years.

Jeanie actually seems like a nice, loving and caring girl. She'd make a good housewife but not as owner as the most prestigious franchise in the NBA.

She’s run a multi billion dollar business. GTFO with your housewife nonsense and your misogynistic BS.

She’s more successful than you’ll ever be, for example.

You should really delete your comment now.. it’s an embarrassment to this forum.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I still can't reconcile celebrating the IST with champagne and confetti like it's the real thing. Kobe set a high standard for this organization. Lebron (bleeped) all over it. The IST trophy/banner is the most useless vanity item in any sport. More indication that Silver is a joke and did it to boost the terrible ratings.

Oh dear Lord if I hear one more complaint about the IST and how Kobe would never....

I don't care about the IST either, but somehow framing that LeBron has shamed the Lakers organization because he led them to win the IST doesn't sit right with me either. What are they supposed to do? Not win it? The tournament wasn't the Lakers idea. You think the confetti and celebration was LeBron's idea?

LeBron explained that the Lakers had a lot of young guys on the team who hadn't won anything on any level yet and that it would be cool to have them compete for something and be the first team to win the inaugural title. That's it.

And by the way, the IST tournament was the best level the Lakers looked all season so it was at least a motivating factor for the team to excel, which may not have otherwise been there.

But y'all acting like he puts it up to the same level as a championship, and of course he doesn't.

LOL at thinking the Lakers should not even come out for the trophy celebration and just leave it out on the court.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Oh dear Lord if I hear one more complaint about the IST and how Kobe would never....

I don't care about the IST either, but somehow framing that LeBron has shamed the Lakers organization because he led them to win the IST doesn't sit right with me either. What are they supposed to do? Not win it? The tournament wasn't the Lakers idea. You think the confetti and celebration was LeBron's idea?

LeBron explained that the Lakers had a lot of young guys on the team who hadn't won anything on any level yet and that it would be cool to have them compete for something and be the first team to win the inaugural title. That's it.

Y'all acting like he puts it up to the same level as a championship, and of course he doesn't.

LOL at thinking the Lakers should not even come out for the trophy celebration and just leave it out on the court.

I wish I could believe you, but they lost 10 of their next 13 games. The burnout and fatigue was real. They clearly went all out for a vanity item, which is disgraceful for an organization of this caliber. We should have played the long game. We aren't the Pels or some other trash organization that values these things. My gut tells me they will try to repeat next season to obscure the real problems this ownership faces.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

What’s the alternative to trying to win the IST? The west is tight. There was a 2 game separation between home court in the first round, and the play-in tournament. You have to try to win the IST games because they are regular season games. So sit guys for the championship if you make it?
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Y'all acting like he puts it up to the same level as a championship, and of course he doesn't.

I wish I could believe you, but they lost 10 of their next 13 games. The burnout and fatigue was real. They clearly went all out for a vanity item, which is disgraceful for an organization of this caliber. We should have played the long game. We aren't the Pels or some other trash organization that values these things. My gut tells me they will try to repeat next season to obscure the real problems this ownership faces.

The team was up and down most of the season.

I don't think you can honestly blame the existence of the IST as the reason we didn't win the title this season.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I don't think you can honestly blame the existence of the IST as the reason we didn't win the title this season.

Huge correlation between the IST tournament and resulting losses: https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/lal/seasontype/2

That was the lowest point of the season. After building up to a 14-9 record and having momentum, it was 17-19 a month later.

That extra trip to Vegas and the resulting celebration had a domino effect. Lots of off-court distractions + the team thinking they were invincible after beating a mediocre eastern conference team. It gave them a false sense of superiority and arrogance.

I get the spirit of competition thing and competing but where was that energy in the latter games? To put on that Purple and Gold uniform means you are playing for something bigger and better than a vanity banner.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

https://x.com/legionhoops/status/1803507556641546296?s=46

Rich Paul actually said in real life that if he wanted to package Bron and Bronny he would “force” the Lakers to draft Bronny at 17?!?

How is this OK with the Lakers? Do they not have any spine left whatsoever? What would Jerry West do? What would Buss do?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:

Rich Paul actually said in real life that if he wanted to package Bron and Bronny he would “force” the Lakers to draft Bronny at 17?!?

How is this OK with the Lakers? Do they not have any spine left whatsoever? What would Jerry West do? What would Buss do?

This stood out to me too.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Triumph wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Huge correlation between the IST tournament and resulting losses: https://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/lal/seasontype/2

That was the lowest point of the season. After building up to a 14-9 record and having momentum, it was 17-19 a month later.

That extra trip to Vegas and the resulting celebration had a domino effect. Lots of off-court distractions + the team thinking they were invincible after beating a mediocre eastern conference team. It gave them a false sense of superiority and arrogance.

I get the spirit of competition thing and competing but where was that energy in the latter games? To put on that Purple and Gold uniform means you are playing for something bigger and better than a vanity banner.

The IST was 1 extra game…not unlike playing and extra game to eliminate an opponent while the next one is waiting in the playoffs or like the play-in before going on to the next series…if it had that much of a lasting affect then the team was too flawed for it to matter anyway.

You can blame the IST…it’s even a reach to do that…on 1 or 2 losses at most, beyond that it’s just making excuses.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

Nothing new here except Rich Paul slipping his agenda a little bit.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

Nothing new here except Rich Paul slipping his agenda a little bit.

I would like him to force the 17 pick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17
Jump to: