BLAZERS -at- LAKERS -- 2/26 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
All we can do is hope the great [???] has a season ending injury like Yao.

Who are you talking about?

By the way, it is never good to wish an injury on someone else.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject:

Oh man, When Kobe posted up Webster then spun and finger rolled in, I jumped up in completely Joy. That to me is better than any Dunk. So smooth, so sweet, so fundamental. He can execute in the post against anyone.

Perfect music.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject:

Ugly win. We seem to struggle against young athletic teams ie. Hawks Blazers etc.
Trajan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject:

What a scary game, especially when we're down by 15. I was going crazy, screaming at the top of my lungs. Besides Kobe, gotta give props to Farmar and Shasha for making some very big shots. I hope they come out prepared for Miami. We can't afford to lose one game right now.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject:

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB as always...

I wonder what PJ thinks about this team. He publicly stated that he did not expect to win the title in 1999 but was pleasantly surprised that they did. Fast forward to this year, he put out the 40-20 comment (we are 40-17 BTW) and publicly stated that we needed to win 20-25 more games (a few games ago) to secure HCA. I believe he has high expectations for this team.

I found it kind of weird when he signed that extension so early with the Kobe drama and Fish being the biggest name signed in the offseason. Now, I am seeing why. Last night's game had Loss written all over it in the first half. They showed, dare I say it, championship mettle in the 2nd half giving up only 32 points.

Great win. They gotta keep this thing going though...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject:

refs: completely ruined the flow of this game
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Dang, forgot to include some

Understandable mistake. Mbenga did not get any playing time. No Mbenga, no dacos.

Mby the way, I also enjoyed this game. I liked that we don't have to win mblow outs all the time. We can win when we are losing. And Kobe was right, this is the kind of game we will see more likely in the playoffs, and we need to learn to win these kinds of games.

Mbut how about that Portland team? Damn, they are good. At least in the first half. They lost mbecause 1) inexperience, and 2) Kobe Bryant. Mbut in a few years (not next year mbecause then Oden will just be learning to play in the NBA still) they will be a lot of fun to watch if they can keep all these players together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:

Happy that we still got the win, even if we played pretty bad.
VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject:

Great write up as usual DB.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:

My first game of the season at Staples last night. Got there an hour early. Luke and JoFar were on the court practicing. Luke took a lot of shots from the right baseline with no coverage, hit most of them and did hit his first shot from the game in that same area. Then it all went downhill for him after that.

JoFar was swishing them all during warmups. One of the coaches would do the ol' fly-by, but JoFar kept his concentration. Seemed like it really paid off in the game because he was fantastic. Maybe his most complete game in a while.

The refs IMO were getting back at the Lakers for Phil's "red ass" comment against one of their own from the Seattle game. P-land was very physical in the 1st half, leading to a lot of the chippiness and T's. In the 2nd half, the Lakers understood that the refs were going to allow that kind of physical play and really shut P-land down. Kobe had one sequence where he totally anticipated every move Outlaw made and caused a poor shot.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:

Ugly win... which was exactly what the doctor ordered.

I wanted to see how this team would perform when they couldn't hit their shots. They responded by applying the screws defensively. Nothing pretty... just imposing their will on the other team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:

Oh, and speaking of the refs, the refs were very quiet with their whistles whenever Portland liberally used their arms when hooking and pushing and holding. Nate McMillan had no beef with the refs last night
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
All we can do is hope the great Pee-you-k has a season ending injury like Yao.

Wow ... you'd rather wish injury upon one of our own players in light of his recent poor performances rather than encourage him to step up his game and earn his minutes? I can understand the disappoint, but wishing injury? Way to be a fan, man.

In regards to the game ... I was on pins and needles all game—I did NOT want to see our win streak end at 8 and I'm glad we pulled this one out, even though it was ugly. As always, thanks for your efforts, DancingBarry!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
All we can do is hope the great Pee-you-k has a season ending injury like Yao.

One, seriously, can we please stop with the Puke Walton name calling? Even when you "hide" it like this, it is juvenile, sophomoric, and just plain stupid.

Two, wishing an injury on anyone, especially on someone who relies on his body to make a living, is asinine and mean-spirited. Even more dim-witted is the fact that this is someone who plays for the Lakers! The team you are supposedly a fan of!!

I hope some day you take a long hard look at yourself and see what kind of person you really are.
illstatic revolutionary
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:

Great way to show heart after looking rather lethargic at the beginning of the game. While I am not at all thrilled with the way Luke has been playing of late, I do think it is rather foolish to wish injury upon him especially with the likes of Radmonovich and Ariza being out. Also, the lack of strength downlow at the beginning of is concerning.

Oh, by the way this is my first post! I was a veteran of LakersTalk and haven't been around in a while--or, in actuality, ever lol.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Oh, and speaking of the refs, the refs were very quiet with their whistles whenever Portland liberally used their arms when hooking and pushing and holding. Nate McMillan had no beef with the refs last night

Until he got the boot.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

A couple of thoughts on the game:

- The refs were horrible. They didn’t call an even game at all, and I can understand why the Lakers got so many Ts. However, the great thing is that the team rolled up their sleeves and was determined to beat the refs too. It was great to see the Lakers’ winning focus manifest itself into a lockdown defensive effort.

- The Blazers are going to be scary good in the future. I have a feeling that Nate McMillan is going to become the new Jerry Sloan. His team played very disciplined ball, which is impressive to see from a team that’s so young. Also, you can tell that he’s been teaching them the dirty old veteran tricks. With all the clutching, grabbing and pushing off I was seeing last night, I thought I was watching the old Utah Jazz play. I don’t blame Portland for playing that way, but I do blame the refs for not calling obvious fouls on the Blazers while whistling the Lakers for seemingly ticky-tack violations.

It was great to see several of our guys step up and play like warriors:

- Kobe – When people compare MJ and Kobe, remember one important thing – up until the point he retired as a Bull, MJ almost never faced a player who was his physical equal in terms of size, strength, agility, athleticism, etc. He was pretty much the pinnacle in all of those physical areas. Yet Kobe, on a day to day basis, faces guys that are bigger, taller, stronger, faster, quicker and/or more athletic than him, and he still manages to dominate. Kobe went head to head against Outlaw last night and had his share of troubles. However, when it mattered, he carried the team on his shoulders and put the screws on Outlaw on both ends. He isn’t the most physically gifted athlete in the game (although he’s no slouch), but he’s still the game’s greatest player.
- Farmar – Without Farmar, the Lakers don’t win last night. He scored at will and shut down Steve Blake – a guy who normally gives the Lakers fits.
- Lamar – He wasn’t as involved offensively, and he dealt with some serious foul trouble the whole game. However, Lamar still impacted the game in an area the Lakers were being abused – the boards. I was very impressed with his tenacity on the boards especially given the fact that he was battling Przbilla, Aldridge and Outlaw.
- Pau – He got eaten up by Aldridge in the 1st quarter, but he definitely manned up in the 2nd half. Aldridge only scored 8 more points after the 1st quarter. It’s obvious that Pau isn’t a dominant rebounder even though he averages 9 a game for his career, but he was definitely battling out there. He also came up with some key blocks
- Sasha – Going 4-8 from behind the arc is expected nowadays. However, it was Sasha’s lockdown D on Webster that was especially impressive. I was very impressed with Sasha’s moxy – not so impressed with Webster’s inability to exploit his size/strength advantage.
- Ronny – He was a real fireman for us out there. He had a couple of key blocks, but his greatest contribution to the team was his ability to curtail Aldridge in the 2nd quarter. His two 3-pt. plays were also integral in the Lakers making a run at the Blazers

A couple of guys were duds:

- Fish – He’s in an obvious slump, but he makes things worse by forcing up bad shots. The guy has to learn to play within his limits. That means finding open areas so that he can get wide open shots (see Sasha). Some of his mistakes on the offensive end really kill the Lakers momentum. Let’s hope his stroke returns so that he can go away from doing things he can’t do.

- Luke – Injured or not, he’s an eyesore on the court.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Until he got the boot.

I still don't understand what Nate got so worked up about.
JTS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- The Blazers are going to be scary good in the future. I have a feeling that Nate McMillan is going to become the new Jerry Sloan. His team played very disciplined ball, which is impressive to see from a team that’s so young. Also, you can tell that he’s been teaching them the dirty old veteran tricks. With all the clutching, grabbing and pushing off I was seeing last night, I thought I was watching the old Utah Jazz play. I don’t blame Portland for playing that way, but I do blame the refs for not calling obvious fouls on the Blazers while whistling the Lakers for seemingly ticky-tack violations.

aldridge is a stud!

portland will be a team to be reckoned with. a team w/o roy and not one game w/oden. the battles that these two teams are going to have are going to be some of the best for years to come.

mcmillian is a fine coach who really is doing a great job w/just a young core of guys. to think they might not make the playoffs (but w/what happen w/yao things could change) they'll get more players from the draft to build from and who knows what kind of roster changes could happen in the future (see pau).

Quote:
A couple of guys were duds:

- Fish – He’s in an obvious slump, but he makes things worse by forcing up bad shots. The guy has to learn to play within his limits. That means finding open areas so that he can get wide open shots (see Sasha). Some of his mistakes on the offensive end really kill the Lakers momentum. Let’s hope his stroke returns so that he can go away from doing things he can’t do.

i know that guys can take shots early in the shot clock but lately fish might reconsider this. i get the thought process of shooting out of slumps but i'd like it if he were getting shots out of passes instead of him creating his own. otherwise, he needs some fast break opportunities; layups and just for some easy bakets.

luke is making me nervous w/how he's been lately. this short rotation might be taking its toll on him.

it will be better when someone comes off the ir.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:

illstatic revolutionary wrote:

Oh, by the way this is my first post! I was a veteran of LakersTalk and haven't been around in a while--or, in actuality, ever lol.

Welcome.

There's a lot of LTers around here in varying names.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Until he got the boot.

Exactly my point!
OhLaLa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

- Pau – He got eaten up by Aldridge in the 1st quarter, but he definitely manned up in the 2nd half. Aldridge only scored 8 more points after the 1st quarter.

I think Pau was on Pryzbilla for most or all the first quarter.
In the second half, when he and Lamar when on the floor, he switched to Aldridge, but I am sure he was on Prybilla at the beginning.

Last edited by OhLaLa on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Until he got the boot.

Exactly my point!

From the Oregonian:

Quote:
It didn't help that Blazers coach Nate McMillan was ejected by referee Steve Javie with 3:05 left in the game and the Blazers trailing by six, resulting in a four-point Lakers possession. McMillan was irate that Bryant wasn't called for a holding foul against Outlaw, and by the time Javie made it down the court, the two had an extended conversation from about 10 feet away. But just as play resumed, McMillan said something that triggered Javie, resulting in two quick technicals.

"Some of the grabbing, the holding going on -- you gotta call it," McMillan said. "It's hard for young players to play through it. I thought (Bryant) grabbed him, and (Javie) said he missed the call."
frenzy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Luke in the game messed up the flow of the offense. It was nice to see some of the bench players step up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: