Should the Lakers Go All in on A Rebuild?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers go all in on a rebuild?
Yes-Rebuild
53%
 53%  [ 33 ]
No-Maximize LeBron/AD these last 2 years. Trade Draft picks
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Middle ground-Add around the edges with an eye for future post LeBron
30%
 30%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 62

manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers had a 39 year old Kobe still playing at an all NBA level with stretches where he still looks top 10 and paired with prime AD, it would probably be close to unanimous that you should do what you can within reason to try and squeeze out one more championship because that's obviously the best team you're going to build for the next decade. But because it's LeBron who Laker fans have no attachment to or even respect for in some cases, everyone is eager to lose as many games as possible and hopefully, maybe, possibly end up with a player that can give 80% of what even this twilight version of LeBron is giving you.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
If the Lakers had a 39 year old Kobe still playing at an all NBA level with stretches where he still looks top 10 and paired with prime AD, it would probably be close to unanimous that you should do what you can within reason to try and squeeze out one more championship because that's obviously the best team you're going to build for the next decade. But because it's LeBron who Laker fans have no attachment to or even respect for in some cases, everyone is eager to lose as many games as possible and hopefully, maybe, possibly end up with a player that can give 80% of what even this twilight version of LeBron is giving you.

i would be against clinging on to old stars even it was Kobe. i was advocate about not giving Kobe that retirement package and started rebuild a couple years earlier. this is why Jeannie Buss should step down, she's way too emotionally attached to players, that's bad for any business.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
manlisten wrote:

i would be against clinging on to old stars even it was Kobe. i was advocate about not giving Kobe that retirement package and started rebuild a couple years earlier. this is why Jeannie Buss should step down, she's way too emotionally attached to players, that's bad for any business.

Kobe's last contract was in 2013. What free agent would you have opted to give that money to instead of Kobe assuming they'd even be interested to sign up for what clearly wasn't a contending roster?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Rebuild. This team with Lebron and AD as the core is past their championship window, yet we deal with the same high expectations every year. Also, this is sort of a selfish reason, but as a fan on the east coast they have become a chore to watch regularly. Nothing worse than staying up until 1am on a work night while they piss away a game in the 4th quarter. I’m ready to watch a young team with no expectations for awhile and see a rebuild unfold. Now, I’m not saying Rob and crew is the right team for the job, but as of now it’s what we’ve got.

Completely agree as it’s obvious to anybody but our front office that the championship window for bron/AD has been long shut
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject:

There is NO WAY any of us can answer this intelligently. Any decision must be made in accordance with what other teams can and want to do and when they can and want to do it. Without knowing this on a day by day, hour by hour, or even possibly, a minute by minute basis, why bother?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject:

The rebuild strategy didn't go so well the last time they tried it.

Those seasons were long and painful, better draft well if going down that road.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Reality is that they'll give LBJ his 3 yr deal and won't trade AD. I'd like to cash out on AD in light of some of these rich returns like OKC can offer but this is fantasy.

We are trying to win now, but I went with option 3 so they don't cripple the roster post LBJ. I dread that they'll give away 3 1sts and a pick swapbor two for a big name that won't make them a contender. I don't trust the FO to not make another WB deal. I'll take the drama of LBJ's squandered last few years over having to wait til 2030 to start over.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The one thing we know for sure was that Bron and AD we’re perfectly healthy last year and even though he’s flawed, they had a legit 3rd option and still landed in the playin with the question even being floated out there, if a bron, ad led team should lose to avoid playing another team.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Celtics traded KG/Pierce for 4 first round picks and have now reaped the benefits.

If the Lakers want to reap future benefits they need to trade Lebron/AD for as many future 1sts as possible. Celtics had the patience to stick to a long term plan after they did that. We will see if the Lakers do. With Jeanie, they absolutely don’t
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I would enjoy a rebuild if we actually had a really talented FO
with the needed infrastructure needed to ID and develop talent,
but we don't have that FO.

This FO will milk gramps and pay him a crazy amount of money
to simply fill seats.

Sucks.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject:

They have to wait at least a year to rebuild because Pels have the pick. FO is going all in with JJ, Bron and AD unfortunately, so any talks of a rebuild right now are premature. It's just not happening this season.

Agree that the window closed after the WB trade. I think most people saw it coming, but were not fully prepared for how bad it was going to be.

Rob broke up a championship core when all he needed to do was make incremental changes the way Boston did. That's not on Bron and AD, who are carrying a big burden. That's just an issue of incompetence with the higher ups running this show.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
They have to wait at least a year to rebuild because Pels have the pick. FO is going all in with JJ, Bron and AD unfortunately, so any talks of a rebuild right now are premature. It's just not happening this season.

Agree that the window closed after the WB trade. I think most people saw it coming, but were not fully prepared for how bad it was going to be.

Rob broke up a championship core when all he needed to do was make incremental changes the way Boston did. That's not on Bron and AD, who are carrying a big burden. That's just an issue of incompetence with the higher ups running this show.

In other words, Lakers will fill seats a celebrate lj's bs achievements. ..my
opinion as well...
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject:

People just don't understand what it actually means to rebuild.

Say the Lakers kept all of their assets and tried to build naturally. They had a number 7 pick, 3 straight number 2 picks, and they even got a number 4 pick that they traded immediately for AD.

The Lakers got a lot of "steals" in the draft during that time period like Hart, Nance, Clarkson, and Zubac. I would mention Kuzma, but that was the result of trading away DLo.

After ALL of that, how close would the Lakers be to contending? Not close at all. The Lakers would be as close to a chip as when they started rebuilding.

The Lakers don't have good chance to win another ring with LeBron and AD. And yet, the Lakers should still go that route because it's the only chance they have within AT LEAST the next 10+ years or so.

People think the Lakers are just going to get a superstar within a reasonable time frame and will be able to put things together in a quick fashion. It just doesn't usually work out that way. The Thunder drafted 3 MVPs and never got a ring. It took the Celtics a LONG time and several failed supporting casts to eventually win 1 with Tatum and Brown. The Nuggets got all time luck in getting a superstar in the 2nd round, and they may be a 1 and done.

Teams are rebuilding organically most of the time, and how often do those result in rings? The 3rd winning-est team won all of their rings with 1 core. These are teams with 50+ year histories.

The best player the Lakers drafted is probably going to another team to try to be their 3rd best player.

It's so idealized, it's funny.

It's like wanting to win the lottery and basing decisions on assuming you'll win it in the future.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject:

More important than a rebuild for the Lakers Franchise would be to for the ownership to sell and completely get out of the basketball business. Ever since Jerry (RIP) Left, it's been mostly down-hill from there! Except for the Phil Jackson Years, where they should have made him an exec!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

Say the Lakers kept all of their assets and tried to build naturally. They had a number 7 pick, 3 straight number 2 picks, and they even got a number 4 pick that they traded immediately for AD.

The Lakers got a lot of "steals" in the draft during that time period like Hart, Nance, Clarkson, and Zubac. I would mention Kuzma, but that was the result of trading away DLo.

After ALL of that, how close would the Lakers be to contending? Not close at all. The Lakers would be as close to a chip as when they started rebuilding.

The Lakers don't have good chance to win another ring with LeBron and AD. And yet, the Lakers should still go that route because it's the only chance they have within AT LEAST the next 10+ years or so.

People think the Lakers are just going to get a superstar within a reasonable time frame and will be able to put things together in a quick fashion. It just doesn't usually work out that way. The Thunder drafted 3 MVPs and never got a ring. It took the Celtics a LONG time and several failed supporting casts to eventually win 1 with Tatum and Brown. The Nuggets got all time luck in getting a superstar in the 2nd round, and they may be a 1 and done.

Teams are rebuilding organically most of the time, and how often do those result in rings? The 3rd winning-est team won all of their rings with 1 core. These are teams with 50+ year histories.

The best player the Lakers drafted is probably going to another team to try to be their 3rd best player.

It's like wanting to win the lottery and basing decisions on assuming you'll win it in the future.

💯
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Japago wrote:

💯

We don’t know how close they would be to contending, and the odds of winning the lottery have to be more daunting than winning a ring in a league full of parity.

Fortune favors the bold. As of today we are average with a declining investment. The worst kind if the product is becoming irrelevant. The league is full of better teams all built from the inside or led by young studs. The teams that are slowly dying are the teams with old stars whose numbers don’t equate to success but eat up huge chunks of cap space.
Lakers, suns, gsw, clippers are yesterday’s news, unless they can swing something.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject:

If there's a pathway to competing for the NBA championship next season, you gotta head down that path.

Remember that if and when we rebuild, whether it's now or later, we could go decades without competing for the world title, let alone winning it. So if we can contend for the chip right now, why the hell should we rebuild right now?
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
IMO the Lakers should build around the edges and prepare for LALBJ (Life After LeBron James) I've been saying that for a while. We have a solid young core. We should develop it and draft wisely. I said before and I'll repeat it. Do as the hated Celtics did, draft and develop. The Lakers win now formula isn't working. Patience is key.

Celtics were fortunately to have the Lakers drafting ahead of them high in drafts and taking lemons like Ball instead of an obvious stud like Tatum.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

I agree with most of what you're saying - a rebuild is a process that can take many, many turns before yielding results. But one thing you do need to keep in mind is that the league has progressively made FA-to-championship paths more and more difficult. It's becoming less and less likely e.g. to pick up a Shaq in FA in this era because the drafting team is granted such a huge advantage granted by the CBA - it basically prevents stupid/short-sighted GM's/FO's (and small-market teams) from shooting themselves in the foot.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Trading up for a late first with Collier would have really had me excited for young core

Collier/Knecht/Christie would have been a solid foundational core that compliments each other well. Still with Max Lewis who was projected as a 1st in many mocks.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Japago wrote:

💯

We don’t know how close they would be to contending, and the odds of winning the lottery have to be more daunting than winning a ring in a league full of parity.

Fortune favors the bold. As of today we are average with a declining investment. The worst kind if the product is becoming irrelevant. The league is full of better teams all built from the inside or led by young studs. The teams that are slowly dying are the teams with old stars whose numbers don’t equate to success but eat up huge chunks of cap space.
Lakers, suns, gsw, clippers are yesterday’s news, unless they can swing something.

Mavs, Celtics and Nuggets were in the top 4 oldest teams last season. I get your point but I don't think age is a detriment when you're still performing at elite levels. The problem has been building out the supporting cast. Put guys like Curry/Bron/KD on the Celtics and it's not hurting their chances.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
More important than a rebuild for the Lakers Franchise would be to for the ownership to sell and completely get out of the basketball business. Ever since Jerry (RIP) Left, it's been mostly down-hill from there! Except for the Phil Jackson Years, where they should have made him an exec!

Yeah, Phil as an exec in NY was such a smashing success.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject:

Bump.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject:

I will say, going in on a rebuild with Pelkina still in charge is scary.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

39 year old Kobe was dragging himself up and down the court and launching 10 plus three pointers a game. Lebron is not there yet, but consider this: last season a healthy Lebron and AD barely made it to the play-in.

If you guys enjoy farewell tours well then buckle up cause we’re about to sit through another one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: